• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | New Trailer - Amiibo and Collector's Edition announced

Fake

Majora's Mask was just a expansion pack to Ocarina of Time when you cut it down to size. Lots of reused assets there as well while also having it's own narrative.

Nothing wrong with a Zelda game having a sequel with additional content they had to cut out from the game. Aonuma himself said they had a lot of ideas that could be made into a whole new game and this is what we have here.

Over the course of the Zelda franchise concepts for dungeons and puzzles were either scrapped or retooled for later games in the series. Not sure what the fuss is about.

Game looks like another 100+ hour exploratory adventure to me.

IDK if this is a fair comparison. Differents time.

Doom 2 is far better than Ultimate Doom, but is hard to classify Doom 2 as a DLC, even he being a DLC.

Ocarina and Majora was dev for n64, while Tears of Kingdom will not release on Wii U unlike BOTW, so we presume that will take the full capacity (if any) of NS hardware, unlike previous taking Wii U hardware in consideration.

Those day devs tools are far more better and you can reuse/export stuff in more discrete ways.

Madflavor

Trailer did nothing for me. I enjoyed BotW, but I wasn't sucking it's dick like so many people were back in the day. Not only have these trailers not been all that impressive, but it basically just looks like more BotW. Maybe to some people that's a good thing because they loved BotW and they're getting more of it, but BotW was 5 years ago. I would expect them to take Zelda to the next level at this point. Instead it looks more of the same.

I'm in agreement with everyone, this wasn't a good trailer and to top it off on old ass hardware. I guess a little bit of me was hoping that there would be new revelations or hints of new hardware. The new Nintendo President doesn't seem to know what he's doing, doesn't have the visionary and risk taking of Iwata who had his misses but was brilliant when he was right. The Switch is now in its 7th year. Nintendo has never went more than 7 years between consoles.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Trailer did nothing for me. I enjoyed BotW, but I wasn't sucking it's dick like so many people were back in the day. Not only have these trailers not been all that impressive, but it basically just looks like more BotW. Maybe to some people that's a good thing because they loved BotW and they're getting more of it, but BotW was 5 years ago. I would expect them to take Zelda to the next level at this point. Instead it looks more of the same.
It's just the 2nd game with a pretty sweet formula that got a major overhaul with the last one, hardly anything to complain about vs, Idk, COD which has been the same for 16 of the 20 games or something? Most big/well regarded games/series get at least a trilogy with the same core formula even.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Glad that it isn't just me. The age of the Switch hardware is at full display in that trailer. I was never a fan of the washed color look of the first one and it feels like they dialed it up to 11 on this one.

Fbh

I'm sure the game will be fun but that was a really bland trailer. It really looks like DLC which is underwhelming after 6 years.
Was hoping to see proper dungeons, cool bosses, confirmation there will be a better loot/weapon system, maybe new towns and stuff like that. Instead it just looks like BotW with some new tools and gimmicks.

Majoras Mask also recycled a ton of content but actually managed to have a completely different and unique vibe. It wasn't just Ocarina of Time with a couple of new mechanics.

I liked the trailer 🤷‍♂️

Got it preordered. I'm so happy to be going back to Hyrule. BOTW is one of my favourite games ever.

Surely it can't be delayed now? Hurry up May!!

Madflavor

It's just the 2nd game with a pretty sweet formula that got a major overhaul with the last one, hardly anything to complain about vs, Idk, COD which has been the same for 16 of the 20 games or something? Most big/well regarded games/series get at least a trilogy with the same core formula even.
Yeah but CoD isn't Zelda. It's comparing apples and oranges. It's been 5.5 years since BotW, and to me it looks like BotW 1.5 or a big DLC. I'm not the only one. If more BotW is what you what then I understand why you wouldn't think it's a bad thing. I'm not complaining, I'm just not impressed, and with the backlog of other big games coming out between March - June, I don't think Zelda TotK will be something I'll be playing at release.

It's not just me. There's a stark contrast between the hype for ToTK and BotW. BotW looked fresh, new, and the trailers looked amazing. TotK looks like BotW. I'll probably be interested if I hear TotK fixes all the problems BotW had.

Gambit2483

Can’t believe it took this long to make this game only to showcase it with such a lackluster trailer. The only interesting thing was the air mobile and the Shadow of the Colossus looking fight. Though the fan base for this franchise is so frenzied it will get easy 90-100s regardless if it turns out to be a glorified DLC.
Every time I watch that trailer I keep asking myself, "What the hell took them 6 years to develop this??" I mean I know the game is going to be MASSIVE...but still.....maybe they spent the last 7 months optimizing the hell out of it just to get it running decently on Switch's ancient tech?

Nothing about what they've shown so far justifies it's long ass development cycle.

Last edited:
Every time I watch that trailer I keep asking myself, "What the hell took them 6 years to develop this??" I mean I know the game is going to be MASSIVE...but still.....maybe they spent the last 7 months optimizing the hell out of it just to get it running decently on Switch's ancient tech?

Nothing about what they've shown so far justifies it's long ass development cycle.

Maybe it's just copium on my part, but I'm secretly hoping Nintendo is intentionally holding back

First time I may not Day 1 a Zelda game...I don't have faith that the reviewers will get it right if it's truly disappointing DLC. The hype train is always too much.

Will hold off and hear credible impressions from people that have the same perspective I do about what this game should improve upon.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe it's just copium on my part, but I'm secretly hoping Nintendo is intentionally holding back

First time I may not Day 1 a Zelda game...I don't have faith that the reviewers will get it right if it's truly disappointing DLC. The hype train is always too much.

Will hold off and hear credible impressions from people that have the same perspective I do about what this game should improve upon.
Its $50 with the voucher so I'll get it. So far I'm very underwhelmed

Elysion

Banned
I wonder if there will be some kind of vehicle building mechanic. That could be pretty cool, though the vehicles in the trailer look a bit out of place in Hyrule lol.

But my biggest concern is that, since the game takes place in the same Hyrule as the previous game, the sense of exploration will be lost. I‘m sure there will be new buildings and points of interest, but this is all located on a map whose layout I’m already familiar with, and which I‘ve already explored for countless hours. The only way around this is if the game not only has sky islands, but a whole sky continent.

Last edited:

Raven117

The Switch being what it is, tech and art wise Tears of the Kingdom was always going to look very similar to Breath of the Wild, and NO doubt there were gameplay features Nintendo had to cut in order to fit the harware.

That doesn’t mean Totk can't be an amazing game, it is an incredibly important release for the company but the fans need to check their expectations only because its Zelda, they are coming for this game because its not the next big thing or whatever

Look at this game as a companion title to Breath of the Wild and you won't be dissapointed in any way, like God of War Ragnarok was to God of War 4
I hear ya.

(But i thought gowr was way boring…. So bad example!)

I wonder if there will be some kind of vehicle building mechanic. That could be pretty cool, though the vehicles in the trailer look a bit out of place in Hyrule lol.

But my biggest concern is that, since the game takes place in the same Hyrule as the previous game, the sense of exploration will be lost. I‘m sure there will be new buildings and points of interest, but this is all located on a map whose layout I’m already familiar with, and which I‘ve already explored for countless hours. The only way around this is if the game not only has sky islands, but a whole sky continent.

Sense of exploration being lost is a huge deal. It made up for ALL BOTW's flaws

That's why, if they lose sense of exploration, that it critically MUST have improvements in the TRADITIONAL ZELDA ELEMENTS

Zelda Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is NOT WHAT I WANT OUT OF A ZELDA GAME....if they go down that path....YIKES

Kind of bizarre how many of the old enemies they showed in the trailer.
You mean the same enemies you keep seeing in almost every Zelda game? They rehash everything but the story.....well Zelda gets kidnapped like Peach so I guess they rehash that too. Put on a new outfit, add a combat gimmick and tadaaa.

kunonabi

You mean the same enemies you keep seeing in almost every Zelda game? They rehash everything but the story.....well Zelda gets kidnapped like Peach so I guess they rehash that too. Put on a new outfit, add a combat gimmick and tadaaa.
The problem is botw had very limited enemy variety so this is an area that people are wanting to see improvement in. It's why people were so letdown by the botw dlc when they said we were getting "flying enemies" and we got the same enemies just on floating platforms.

Imtjnotu

At what point is the "Looks like DLC meme" going to be considered trolling? God of War Ragnaroc "looks like DLC", Horizon "looks like dlc" Fucking Elden ring.. "Just darksouls in an open world. not DLC but might as well be.." and now Zelda.. get a fucking grip...
Robot Warning GIF by Jin

Loved botw but I still have no idea what this is actually bringing to the table - I know it’s something. With the vehicles and sky stuff - I just don’t quite see what it’s gonna be

Gorgyles

Banned
The problem is botw had very limited enemy variety so this is an area that people are wanting to see improvement in. It's why people were so letdown by the botw dlc when they said we were getting "flying enemies" and we got the same enemies just on floating platforms.

In the trailer we got

-Fat Bokoblins
-Flying Fish Men
-3 headed flame-head dragon
-Box Golum

Eager to see more
This is where Elden Ring shines

supernova8

Banned
To be fair there was a lot in BOTW that they didn't show in the pre-release trailers, so I guess there's still a chance this blows us away... but needs time to do so.

It really does just look like "BOTW - Vehicle DIY DLC!" though.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Who was the person from yesterday who called it; That Nintendo would drop a trailer the very next day, the price of 69.99 USD was discovered on their website?

I kind of feel like zelda isn't the same anymore. I enjoyed breath of the wild but I want traditional zelda again. This trailer left me even more uninterested in the new open world style zelda. The music isn't the same either. It doesn't feel like zelda to me.

Last edited:

Gorgyles

Banned
I kind of feel like zelda isn't the same anymore. I enjoyed breath of the wild but I want traditional zelda again. This trailer left me even more uninterested in the new open world style zelda. The music isn't the same either. It doesn't feel like zelda to me.
Skyward Sword is literally the most insulting game I've ever played.
From the opening tutorial through the end, it felt like NST made a Zelda game.

EAD needed to shake things up and BOTW did that beautifully.
I'm hoping for more traditional Zelda structure within that framework now.
I'd love the atmospheric and seriously-toned dungeons of OOT back.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Still looking kinda like a BotW DLC
Gears 5 look like Gears 4 dlc

Dead Space 3 look like Dead Space 2 dlc

Gow Ragnarok look like Gow 2018 dlc

Spiderman Miles Morales look like Spiderman 1 dlc

Uncharted 4 look like Uncharted 3 dlc

Red Dead Redemption 2 look like Red Dead Redemption 1 dlc

Forza 7 look like Forza 6 dlc

Halo 5 look like Halo 4 dlc

Cod 2022 look like cod 2019 dlc