• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ("Good People Die") - US 3DS/Vita release, fall

If you don't go for the Sub ending you never see much character development for Lotus though.

Rather than adding backstory you wouldn't see otherwise, I feel the other endings are more like build up for the 2 important ones.
Is the
room w/the torture-esque chair in the Sub ending? Huh, I thought that happened in the Safe or the True endings. Can't remember, I guess. Poor game design to not explain the reason for Lotus to be on the ship outside of a bad ending, IMO.

I'm technically not at the puzzle yet. Junpei just said that
June is Zero

I feel sick. My head/heart/soul can't handle all this.

Tumblr_lqiqr03txn1qinicuo1_500.gif

The entire end of this game made me feel this way :(

I'm mostly confused by
how June existed in the present if she died in the past -- I have a feeling this is a time loop, AKA the past --> the future --> the past --> ad nauseum.
*head explodes*

OK, puzzle time!

It's subtly implied that Seven was dishonest with Junpei regarding June's "death" to make sure he did what needed to be done to save her. No real wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Neiteio

GAH, I had it nearly full and then saw that this 1 and this 8 will appear more than once in their respective columns, FUCK.

Javier

On solving the puzzle:

Try looking for squares where only one possible number could fit and go from there. The good thing about Sudoku puzzles is that they get progressively easier as you complete the grid, so once you get the ball rolling it's easy.

GAH, I had it nearly full and then saw that this 1 and this 8 will appear more than once in their respective columns, FUCK.

You'll get a confirmation if you solve a line correctly, so it's not enough to fill up all the spots. I never did a sudoku before I played the game, so I didn't recognize it and tried to use the digital root on every square. Once I learned how to do sudokus it was
a bit disappointingly
easy.

Neiteio

I JUST DID IT! That was really easy! Simple process of elimination, one square at a time. Heck, it was even fun!

I guess I thought sudoku would be more of that puzzle in the study. Completely different, though.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I JUST DID IT! That was really easy! Simple process of elimination, one square at a time. Heck, it was even fun!

I guess I thought sudoku would be more of that puzzle in the study. Completely different, though.

Now go and enjoy the rest of the game :3

Golbez

This is fantastic. Watching someone else experience the climax of 999 is nearly as fun as the first time you play through it yourself.

Neiteio

WAIT WHAT?

WAS THAT THE MUMMY AT THE END?

OK, it's over for real now and I have NO IDEA what that last shot was about.

I have all six ending icons. I saw every room, every ending.

What was that last frame about??

And I have NO idea how this ties into VLR, where we have Clover, and
is June ZERO???

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
WAIT WHAT?

WAS THAT THE MUMMY AT THE END?

OK, it's over for real now and I have NO IDEA what that last shot was about.

I have all six ending icons. I saw every room, every ending.

What was that last frame about??

And I have NO idea how this ties into VLR, where we have Clover, and
is June ZERO???

Yay, you finished the awesomeness that is 999 :D! You must be feeling like this right now ;D

mtcAk.gif

Now that you've experienced the game in its entirety, you can go and read THE ANSWERS, courtesy of Kotaro Uchikoshi and the fans that asked him the questions :D

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers

Once you're done reading that, feel free to gush as much as possible in the 999 spoilers thread ;D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417566

hiryu64

O8UxO.gif

EtzPN.gif

This was glorious every step of the way. Thank you Neiteio for taking us on this wonderful ride! It was awesome to be able to re-experience this for the first time.

Neiteio

^^^ The "answers" link just leads tthe main Aksys page...

WHAT AN AMAZING GAME.

But I am utterly confused, and disturbed insofar as
Zero is still afoot in VLR, and I hope it's not still June, and I haven't had time to reflect on the story at length to determine if June killed anyone directly or indirectly herself -- like if they were never at risk of detonating, how did the 9th Man die?

Oh boy.

Speaking of her, quick yes or no question for those that already played VLR.
Do they ever explain Alice? My guess right now is still that Alice was real and she's her descendant.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.

WHAT AN AMAZING GAME.

Zero is still afoot in VLR, and I hope it's not still June, and I haven't had time to reflect on the story at length to determine if June killed anyone directly or indirectly herself -- like if they were never at risk of detonating, how did the 9th Man die?

Oh boy.

Hmm, that's odd, it shouldn't XD

Anyway, you can access it from the main 999 website:

http://www.aksysgames.com/999/

Just click the Answers tab in the lower right corner :)

WHAT AN AMAZING GAME.

Oh boy.

Pretty much only Ace and his parteners were in danger of exploding AFAIK. The only real danger everyone else was in was themselves...and obviously the incinerator.

WHAT AN AMAZING GAME.

Oh boy.

"He" lied to him in order to get his bracelet. If "he" wasn't Zero, who was he? ;)

EDIT: Beaten, daw.

WHAT AN AMAZING GAME.

Oh boy.

Well, the
9th man was one of the 4 guys responsible for the first experiment, so he was equipped with a detonator, IIRC. June manipulated Ace into killing his 3 accomplices (the 9th man, the "captain" and the guy that was swapped for Snake), so she's technically a killer too.

Korigama

The other participants (Junpei, Clover, Snake, Lotus, Seven, in addition to June and Santa themselves) didn't really have bombs in them, but the Cradle Pharmaceutical executives (Ace/Hongou, 9th Man/Kubota, Guy X/Nijisaki, and Cap/Musashidou) were a different story.

And then I laugh because me and Akselziys are among the very few people on this board who know what happens in VLR/played through the whole game.

Brb, gigglingly furiously at all of you. <3

Neiteio

Wow, that's cold.
What June did to the Cradle folks, I mean... Makes all of her cute moments a bit creepy... So where did she get the resources to stage this? And is she still Zero in VLR? Why would she be forcing people through the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
And then I laugh because me and Akselziys are among the very few people on this board who know what happens in VLR/played through the whole game.

Brb, gigglingly furiously at all of you. <3

image.php

*laughs*

Wow, that's cold.
What June did to the Cradle folks, I mean... Makes all of her cute moments a bit creepy... So where did she get the resources to stage this? And is she still Zero in VLR? Why would she be forcing people through the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition?

Go read The Answers right this minute XD

cj_iwakura

Well, the
9th man was one of the 4 guys responsible for the first experiment, so he was equipped with a detonator, IIRC. June manipulated Ace into killing his 3 accomplices (the 9th man, the "captain" and the guy that was swapped for Snake), so she's technically a killer too.
The creator's answers confirm that

June is indeed a killer, and quite vicious.

I'd love to see that side.

Wow, that's cold.

Do you remember Santa talking about the stock market early in the game?;)

Ridley327

Wow, that's cold.

It was mentioned towards the beginning of the game, but Santa made a shitload of money playing the stock market, which went towards their plan of ensuring that the time loop was closed correctly.

Top Bottom