• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma: first trailer released [3DS and Vita 6/28, Steam TBA]

Shun

Akane covered in blood and hugging Carlos? I smell NTR.

RIP Junpei we barely knew you.

EWyCW43.png

Gvitor

I have high, high hopes for this game and I don't think it will disappoint.

But I must say, this trailer does not inspire much confidence. And some news alongside it don't either.

The audio mix is bad, it all felt like a bunch of random scenes glued together for no reason, the artstyle is weird, the voice acting was off and they focused way too much in the gruesome aspects of the game. That's far from what Zero Escape is.

That all said... VLR did the same. The first trailer for that game had scenes from a bunch of bad endings and some good endings as well (Luna, for instance). The characters were all 3D models instead of 2D sprites like 999, but they were fine in the game. And the VAs only clicked in-game as well.

The thing that worries me is all of those news on the side saying stuff like "cinema part" and "cutscenes" and "no reading/no narrator". I don't like this change in focus one bit.

On the other hand...

So the idea is, you play a fragment, the fragment plays out, then you go back out to the floating fragment screen and it shows you where the thing you just played fits into the narrative flow. You might start a fragment and see only two characters, but not yet know how the third died. Then you’ll play the earlier fragment later, and learn what happened.”

That bit of news make it sound like Her Story, and I very much approve of that. That method of storytelling combined with Uchikoshi craziness can produce something great.

Zhao_Yun

So I've never played a game in this series, and AFAIK the first was only released for DS and later iOS? I have a Vita to play the second one, is it ok to just jump in from there?

Do yourself a favor and play 999 first if it is possible in any way.

Jaymageck

So I've never played a game in this series, and AFAIK the first was only released for DS and later iOS? I have a Vita to play the second one, is it ok to just jump in from there?

The second one (VLR) and this one (ZTD) are essentially a 2 part storyline.

There are connections between VLR and 999 (the first one), including several characters. Some twists will also have very little meaning without playing 999. However, I would say that on the whole you could get away with skipping 999 if you REALLY dont want to seek it out.

999 is one of the best gaming stories ever told though, so you'd be missing out. If you do play it, dont play the iOS version.

Two Words

I played VLR first, and I understood a good chunk of the plot that only related to that game. I recently played through 999 on iOS, and I'd definitely say play 999 first. If you don't have a DS, you can play through it on iOS. It has it's pros and cons and isn't really playing. The puzzles are all gone. You could probably find a "Let's Play" of it on youtube. I'd try and find one where the player doesn't give much narration.

With that said, if you really don't want to play 999, I'd just read something that summarizes 999 before playing VLR at the least.

Trace

Banned
I played VLR first, and I understood a good chunk of the plot that only related to that game. I recently played through 999 on iOS, and I'd definitely say play 999 first. If you don't have a DS, you can play through it on iOS. It has it's pros and cons and isn't really playing. The puzzles are all gone. You could probably find a "Let's Play" of it on youtube. I'd try and find one where the player doesn't give much narration.

If they felt like porting it to Android I'd play it. Not sure why anyone would port just to iOS at this point with the market share being how it is.

Two Words

If they felt like porting it to Android I'd play it. Not sure why anyone would port just to iOS at this point with the market share being how it is.

Well it is a $5 app, and I'm guessing statistics say Android users don't spend much on apps.

Here's an interactive playthrough on youtube. I think it means they set it up so that you can make choices in the game as you watch and see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVUWFYmWWs&list=PLOjlX2JnE0k6gdc7xE7CooVSR-f8VSwMG

This trailer isn't looking too great. The 3D models, while they're actually animated now unlike Virtue's Last Reward, still look clunky and awkward, the voice acting is not so great (really not a fan of the modulation they're using for Zero's voice), and it looks to be leaning heavily into darkness and gore in an attempt to pander to Western fans. The fragmented structure is a neat idea though. We'll see.

Zareka

Watched the trailer, not reading any of the details. That and the date is more than enough for me.

SO MUCH BLOOD

KEITH SILVERSTEIN

WHO VOICES HOT JUNPEI

AAAAAAAAAAH

I cannot express how excited I am right now holy crap. I still remember reading that we might never get it. THREE MONTHS. Three months and it's over. I CANNOT WAAAAAIT.

Two Words

This trailer isn't looking too great. The 3D models, while they're actually animated now unlike Virtue's Last Reward, still look clunky and awkward, the voice acting is not so great (really not a fan of the modulation they're using for Zero's voice), and it looks to be leaning heavily into darkness and gore in an attempt to pander to Western fans. The fragmented structure is a neat idea though. We'll see.

I mean, all of the Zero Escape games lean on the "Saw"-like aspect of the games in the beginning. You're supposed to walk into the game thinking it's some crazy survival game. I'd rather they do that than tip their hand about what it really is about.

silva1991

I wonder if they will announce PS4 version as well.

Is till haven't finished 999 and I'm planning to see the rest of the story on Youtube/summery

is the second game better than 999?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Is till haven't finished 999 and I'm planning to see the rest of the story on Youtube/summery

No, don't use youtube. PLAY the games.

... and get out of this thread.

Hylian7

Honestly the voice acting didn't bother me at all. Game looks great too, everything I had hoped for and more so far.

Astarte

I know I'll be in the minority here when I say no. VLR can kiss my ass.

Two Words

I think the pacing of the second game is much better than the first. It helps that the second game is largely voiced, though. That and the fact that you don't have to replay so much of the same stuff over again to get the true ending.

Soriku

Do you really think that's the reason? There are a lot of violent VNs or animes.

I mean, all of the Zero Escape games lean on the "Saw"-like aspect of the games in the beginning. You're supposed to walk into the game thinking it's some crazy survival game. I'd rather they do that than tip their hand about what it really is about.

Sure, they're all survival scenarios, but 999 wasn't so explicit about the presentation of violence, which tends to make it more effective than showcasing gore.

Steam too? Wonder if a full series release is coming.

Aksys says Steam releases of 999 and VLR are possible.

Do you really think that's the reason? There are a lot of violent VNs or animes.

Given what Uchikoshi has said about these games - that he toned down Virtue's Last Reward at the request of the Japanese publisher based on feedback from Japanese fans, and that Zero Time Dilemma is being made primarily for Western audiences due to the higher degree of success the Zero Escape games have found here than in Japan - yes, I do think that's the reason.

Sounds like they want to go maximum level mindfuck with the main gimmick of no one knowing what order anything is in.

They're gonna make the last choice of the game have some random element too aren't they, son of a bitch how am I supposed to decide

Azuran

Banned

VLR is vastly inferior to 999. The story got way too convoluted for stuff no one cares about. Also some of the puzzles were stupid stupid. I still like it but it didn't even come close to the experience in 999.

AwShucks

Awesome. Also find it hilarious people would complain about anything. It's like they haven't played the first two games and expected everything to all of a sudden be AAA quality.

My GOTY got a release date, hot Damn! So hyped. The trailer was alright, not as good as VLR but still pretty good. I'm fine with all the voice acting I've heard so far, so that's a good sign.

Top Bottom