• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn #meToo / Alec Holowka suicide -- Update: Article questions ZQ's account of events (link in OP)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
In that case it's not just describing someone of an unknown gender, but people of an unknown quantity. There's nothing in that sentence that tells me it was only one person who broke in and ate the twinkies. Regardless these people aren't asking us to describe someone of an unknown gender. Within the context of their demands their gender is known and they just want us to abuse the English language to avoid hurting their fee fees. Atleast the xe/xer crowd had the good sense to make up a new word.
OK, how about this then.

"A person came into my home and ate all my Twinkies. They are going to pay dearly."

I'm not arguing about the stupidity of it, just that they doesn't necessarily mean plural and never has.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
I'm also very disappointed in his sister. I feel sorry for her loss, but to feel sorry and donate to the very person responsible for his death is something beyond belief...

uO0jAqI.jpg

source

I simply don’t understand this shit anymore.
Way to support your parents too with that tweet.
This is legit getting scary to me

BBC arent impartial at all. They (barely) covered up Jimmy Saville's crimes (he was major in BBC, and everyone knew, he used violence to silence (oops rhyme)) , and also - get this, reported on a 9/11 building collapse BEFORE it happened - (thats for another time but hey..)

I didn't realize the carnival was in town..

How much longer until a gaggle of clowns spill out of a hilariously tiny car?

Got any Flat Earth youtubes for us while we wait? Perhaps some faked moon landing or Bigfoot revelations to hold us over?

Ogbert

Chesterton is talking about how conservatism (and liberalism) have been coopted by the modern world and propped up as two false dichotomies.

Ah, thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the context.

On a strict reading, it suggests he is framing conservatism as solely reactionary, almost luddite; hence the suggestion that it would defend revolution as tradition.

I've only ever read his Father Brown novels.

EDce6XHU0AAfsXm

Well that's a fucking amazing find. Jesus. It's hard to tell obviously if he's talking about Quinn or not but... Jesus shit. It's hard to tell whether it's mental illness talking - fear of persecution.... a fear that ended up being well founded but an irrational fear nonetheless - or if he's specifically talking about the people who ended up backstabbing him 3 years later. How the fuck did you find this?

Ogbert

Good lord that is one of the most pretentious, attention seeking, virtue signaling pieces of self promotion I have ever read. I don't want to drag her too bad, but giving away advanced degrees in bullshit fields of study is one of the greatest blunders of the modern era.

That world is just depressing. And so bleak.

The complete absence of joy and fun. The cold aesthetic and fringe that you could set a spirit level by.

It's like a life being lived in a laboratory.

Dane

When I see stuff like this post from Alec, it really makes me sad the state of part of the indie scene, not only that, but other decisions (such as EGS exclusivity at last minute) only gives the image that Indie developers are scumbags as much as the publishers they refuse to work due to their interference in development.

petran79

Banned
Obviously you can.
The whole confusion comes from Stalin who won WW2 against Hitler and then wanted to distance Communist ideology from NSDAP.
That's where the lie that Nazis are somehow Right was invented. It also fit perfectly into Western liberal views that also wanted to distance themselves from the progressivist-humanist (yes, fascism was pretty progressive then, and "humanist" always meant: human-centered as opposed to God and religion) Nazi ideology as well.
And that's how terms were redefined to mean: left - morally superior progressive light-eyed superhumans, and right - morally bankrupt evil deplorables. But then nobody wants to be on the right, that's where other "axes" come into play. Like "authoritharian", "libertarian" and such.

Even today that quote is still relevant

"I don't have much to say about May 1968. The important event of 1968 was not in Paris but in Prague. It is just that during that time we were unable to see it"

Rudi Dutschke

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Cancel culture actually tries to defend the minorities that have had to endured years of being enslaved, abused, and erased.

Cancel culture is actually the minorities, the oppressed, reclaiming their power and fighting back.

Most often than not, the ‘victims’ of cancel culture are people who are enacting some kind of privilege. They are mostly men, even though there are a few women. They are also predominantly white.

Those who are privileged and find themselves occupying center positions take advantage of that to make jokes, marginalize, or even abused those in the margins. Even worse, they use all of these to exploit people and make a profit.

When we call them out we are not marginalizing them, we are just revoking their privilege. We are trying for them to empathize with us, as people of color, as women, as LGBTI people.

We are not calling for pitchforks; we are calling for empathy. After all, we have been enduring erasure for centuries, and with much less reason.

Here's the rub with cancel culture or even the ideology that somehow the suffering of a minority is somehow worse than the suffering of a majority person.

Everyone suffers. It is a universality of life. Unless you are one of the very few elites out there - the 0.1% of the word who are so obscenely wealthy that they never really have to deal with unhappiness, everyone is erased and abused and enslaved. And even then, those ultra elites still die and get sick and lose loved ones. Suffering is subjective.

There is no "better" suffering than other forms of suffering. There isn't a "righteous" form of suffering.

It isn't the fault of "men" that a teeny tiny fraction of them have immense wealth and power. It isn't the fault of "white people" that slavery was a thing.

Cancel culture and the whole ridiculous idea that shutting down a "bad" person is going to change the fundamental systems of the world or prevent suffering is analogous to the mob hunting Frankenstein's monster.

Last edited:
Well that's a fucking amazing find. Jesus. It's hard to tell obviously if he's talking about Quinn or not but... Jesus shit. It's hard to tell whether it's mental illness talking - fear of persecution.... a fear that ended up being well founded but an irrational fear nonetheless - or if he's specifically talking about the people who ended up backstabbing him 3 years later. How the fuck did you find this?

I don't know if this has been posted, but apparently he tried to speak up about the relationship around 2014. The people around him suppressed it because they believed it would give GG/whatever more "ammo".

a66886870233.png

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
WSUgKlL.png

Sad. 2016......must have thought he had put all the shit behind him and made what amends he could. Then just had his skeletons raised in public......

GreyHorace

I wish people were less insulting when talking about Zoe or Alec's sister. Of course, there is a lot to say about how Zoe handled the situation, but remember that we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle and ideally, that case should have ended up in front of a court of justice.
The pieces of the puzzle? The puzzle should never have been a known factor to begin with. As she claims in her tweets, Alec apologized to her and she in turn forgave him, which should have been the end of the matter. But then she goes and stabs him in the back by sharing this story to the world, thus painting him as a target for the outrage mob.

I don't know if Alec Holowka is guilty of what he was accused of (I'm inclined to believe there was some truth to it), it still doesn't change the fact that Zoe Quinn exposed a private matter for her own gain. She is scum and deserves no sympathy for how this all went down.

As for his cunt of a sister:
She is one of them.

She's just like Zoe. Why am I not surprised? She deserves scorn too for shitting on her brother so soon after his passing.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm also very disappointed in his sister. I feel sorry for her loss, but to feel sorry and donate to the very person responsible for his death is something beyond belief...

uO0jAqI.jpg

source
OH MY GOD

This shit makes me seriously angry.
Zoe Quinn comes out of the nowhere, with baseless accusations PUBLICLY, causing probably hundrets of Reee’s to harrass Alec into suicide, but she is somehow not at least partially at fault because she is such a poor victim and somehow only needed several years to come out with the abuse story?
Give me a break with that bullshit.
Everyone protecting Zoe over this shit is part of the problem. Willing to throw anyone under the bus, without any form of evidence, causing them to loose their job and endure the same type harassments they so condemn if one of theirs receives any.
Ultimately, going so far as to donate money to the person who set in motion the machinations that caused her brother to commit suicide, like an executioner pulling the lever of a guillotine, is akin to taking a shit on her brothers coffin.

Honestly, fuck this crap, fuck Zoe and fuck her whole SWJ harem.

Last edited:
WSUgKlL.png

Sad. 2016......must have thought he had put all the shit behind him and made what amends he could. Then just had his skeletons raised in public......
It certainly makes you question the motives of airing this publicly if years ago he contacted her privately, apologized for the way he acted, and left that thinking she got resolution from it.

Even before he killed himself, what resolution did she hope to get from publicly shaming him? How would anyone have benefitted from it, Zoe included?

I can think of a better way... The 2 of them together publicly coming forward with what happened. The work both put in to not be what he once was and the work she put in to forgive him.

In this internet mob climate, what an amazing story that would have been for both of them. Forgiving isn't exactly easy, but Zoe could have been an example of an amazing person who went from victim to hero, from powerless to unbreakable.

Unfortunately the end has made them both look like monsters.

Helios

uO0jAqI.jpg

source
Her account has been protected since the day of the announcement. I very much doubt this is real. You should probably edit that to at least include a warning.

zenspider

Jesus, we are all damn sick. Mental health is the main concern of the century and is not being treated as such.

I don't think it's a clean cut category anymore. Social Health would be more appropriate from my perspective.
I am an ostensibly sane person surrounded by ostensibly sane people, yet everyday I am finding reality more unrecognizable. Everyday, my interactions with other people become more and more bizarre. For context I work in retail and have many conversations daily - people seem lost. They are rarely present, rarely paying attention. Their intuitions are weak and confused. The sense is that I am a figure in their dream, not another conscious agent in a shared reality.

In this scenario, who is going crazy? Mental Health puts the impetus on the individual - one of us, or both of us independently - there's something wrong with you. I think the more accurate picture is we are going crazy: there's something wrong with us.
Society is reaching a dream-like singularity of nonsense where nothing can possibly happen that seems unplausible enough to snap us out of it. It's damaging to us individually, but as a society I think it's straight up deranging.

buizel

Banned
Her account has been protected since the day of the announcement. I very much doubt this is real. You should probably edit that to at least include a warning.

Yeah i question the legitmacy of that, though i think i recall it being open for a tiny bit. But Zoe's was gone so could tagging have worked?

I don't think it's a clean cut category anymore. Social Health would be more appropriate from my perspective.
I am an ostensibly sane person surrounded by ostensibly sane people, yet everyday I am finding reality more unrecognizable. Everyday, my interactions with other people become more and more bizarre. For context I work in retail and have many conversations daily - people seem lost. They are rarely present, rarely paying attention. Their intuitions are weak and confused. The sense is that I am a figure in their dream, not another conscious agent in a shared reality.

In this scenario, who is going crazy? Mental Health puts the impetus on the individual - one of us, or both of us independently - there's something wrong with you. I think the more accurate picture is we are going crazy: there's something wrong with us.
Society is reaching a dream-like singularity of nonsense where nothing can possibly happen that seems unplausible enough to snap us out of it. It's damaging to us individually, but as a society I think it's straight up deranging.
This is it. 100% agree with you.

Ogbert

A very good friend of mine worked for Twitter for around three years. He has since left. He enjoyed his time at the company but it was instructive to hear him suggest that they would often consider ‘are we the new Marlboro men’?

Mental Health will be one of the most significant struggles our society faces over the next twenty to thirty years.

Your observation that people are removed from the present is very true.

Thabass

EDce6XHU0AAfsXm

DBT...where have I...

OH MY GOD. This is the shit that I had to go through as a requirement for my weightloss surgery. DBT stands for Dialectical behavior therapy (if you didn't know) and it's basically a psychiatric term for being triggered. I've never been in therapy before the last couple of weeks and holy shit. No wonder there are some many triggered people today. They're all in therapy and they're getting this shit spoonfed to them. Mother of god.

Ogbert

Can you share any more about this bit here? I think this is really important.

I think it’s simply that they genuinely believe in all the benefits of the platform but, as individuals, and talking and mulling things over, a few recognise that there are potentially significant risks.

It’s perfectly reasonable to think that a generation or generations might be lost to the platforms. The medical effects will not be as fatal as tobacco (that goes without saying) but there will be effects all the same.

Clarissa

Banned

uO0jAqI.jpg

source

I know lots of people are wary that the above tweet might be fake or doctored, but if you read the link below and put two and two together, there's a very high chance that the tweet is authentic.

Last edited:

eot

Banned

uO0jAqI.jpg

source
They must've had a really shitty relationship to the point where she hated him, how else would you explain this?

abcdrstuv

Banned
This is the really weird part. It's never actually clear of what Zoe is accusing Alec. I think it's primarily emotional abuse, although there's a vague reference to being "mean and violent" during sex. She says he threw things but never specifies that any of it was aimed at her.

I dunno, it just seems like if you were going to go public like this you'd make it crystal clear what the accusation is.

Didn’t she say he yelled at her for an hour because she said “hello” the wrong way? And walked her around “by his fingers”? Both those behaviors qualify as abusive. There are other considerations, even if her account is entirely accurate. But unless she lied, or substantially distorted the truth, there’s no grey area in characterizing Holowka’s actions.

dorisdelay

Neo Member
Why are all big media outlets running the story as “night in the wood creator dies / is dead”? I understand being sensitive about someone’s passing but it seems like this headline really lacks context when he essentially was a victim of a twitter Lynchmob.

I think people have mentioned that as he’s had mental health problems that the media is trying to shrug it off as an inevitably but these things rarely happen without circumstances.

joe_zazen

That's.... if you view everything under the lens of the 21st century. The problem is that's insulting in itself. If you talk about old egypt, if you talk about the 1900's, if you talk about.... whatever time period you're talking about you have to do so by taking a step back and not judge by your own preconceptions of how life should be.

That's not fair to history as its not fair to humanity. We don't live in a perfect world, we don't live in a magical land where you snap your fingers and everythings ok. Society has to go through changes. It's not like EVERYTHING was bad in those times either. And we tend to overlook that by making sweeping general statements, A vast maority of Men didn't go around constantly raping their wives a hunderd years ago either. Nor didn't women have zero power without voting rights. History is complex by our very nature.

No argument. Love attachment family, all these things existed.

all i am saying is, until very very recently, all civilisations have subjected the masses to hell-on-earth conditions; and the more civilised, the worse the conditions. It isnt a controversial thing either. Look at North america pre-1492. The more civilised the society (Aztec/Mayan) the more brutal. Same can be seen on all the other continents. Pop history dosent dwell on this stuff because it is unpleasant and not entertaining. You wont see it in AC Odyssey or Big Book of Egypt at Barnes and Noble.

humans have a tendency to want to contextualise everything including their lives and human history into a neat stories. history becomes nothing more than fodder for whatever story a person is trying to create for themselves. So, if you want to see progress and enlightenment leading to a coming perfection, that is how you slice and dice the material. If you are a feminist, you take the material and create that story. But the facts remain, that the history of human civilisation is one of terror, brutality, inhumanity, pain, and death for the vast majority of people, including men.

Wow, his sister even donated to her 😮 that is one creepy situation, and what bother the most is when she says “ if he wasnt abusive” this another case of “ i dont want people to think im on his side “ may allah forgive him —

Somehow I missed this news until right now, about him killing himself. For me, shame is always a huge part of what's like to deal with bad feelings overall, you just can't get over things that happened in the past. It replays in your head over and over again. Social media is fucking terrible, it exposes the darker places in our memory and it makes it everyone's business. This is a huge health hazard that just gets ignored. My advice doesn't count for shit, but if I could offer one it would be to just don't use it. Use a messaging service where you can talk with your friends/family, post on interest forums behind a screen name and an avatar, just don't get personally involved. You're not anyone's ally. This shit is bad for you and it will hurt you.

RIP Alec.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Your reaction is understandable but don't. A... similar but quite different controversy happened almost exactly 5 years ago around her and this controversy metastasised into the gamergate movement. I'm not gonna defend or condemn gamergate that's almost an entirely different conversation. However it started in part because the media picked up Quinn's version of what had happened and ran with it. And since then the media and twittersphere have taken Quinn's side on everything. Anyone else is a misogynist, an MRA, an incel, a proto-fascist Alt-righter, etc.

Basically if you said anything too uncivil or that could be taken out of context to be harassment (say, anonymously on 4chan or on reddit or twitter) even if it was quite true just expressed angrily and rudely, there was a good chance it could be copied and pasted onto an article about the terrible harassment Quinn's facing (or in some cases by Quinn herself and then picked up by the media - see what happened on 4chan and WizardChan). Why it's like this is a really complicated and long question but that in essence is a big part of the reason why gamergate is still seen as a massive harassment campaign to this day.

I'm just saying don't be too brash. I don't like policing language but with Quinn you've got to. Say something horrendous that can be taken out of context and you might find it used as a means to paint the entirety of NeoGaf as a bunch of sexist trolls trying to harass Zoe Quinn into therapy, again. This is not a defence of Quinn either, please read my other posts on here - I think I made a fairly good case as to why she cannot be trusted and with proof too. Just tread lightly dude, that's my advice.

I'm not sure if it will happen again in the same way, this is a different scandal in a lot of details.
There's no way I read all of this but canfidently ask everyone that did: how has being the bigger person worked out so far?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Have to take issue with Gilbert on this one. Conservatism isn't simply preservation. I think it's rather caution. I like C S Lewis' take:
We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.
I feel strongly about video games in this way. It's hard to grasp in the short term, but seeing the evolution of gaming and where we are heading makes me feel that we took the wrong path. This possible reality of games is increasingly geared towards poisonous industry practices and behavior. This whole situation with Alec and Chelsea is just taste of what's coming.

Top Bottom