• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn #meToo / Alec Holowka suicide -- Update: Article questions ZQ's account of events (link in OP)

buizel

Banned
"How many people have heard if gamergate??"
...........Crickets.

I myself, a 40 year old gamer. Still dont know what gamergate is? I dont know if i am a gamergater or on the other side. Please help me?

I done enuff reading on it and i dont understand either.

Gamergate is the .... (alleged) unveiling of toxic masculinity in gaming?

So is a gamergater someone who believes it, or someone who doesnt...

Or is it someone who participates in the 'toxic-ness'... or someone who doesnt?

Clarissa

Banned
I'm also very disappointed in his sister. I feel sorry for her loss, but to feel sorry and donate to the very person responsible for his death is something beyond belief...

uO0jAqI.jpg

source
I don't know why but I got REAL MAD and triggered reading this...

KiNeMz

Banned
I done enuff reading on it and i dont understand either.

Gamergate is the .... (alleged) unveiling of toxic masculinity in gaming?

So is a gamergater someone who believes it, or someone who doesnt...

Or is it someone who participates in the 'toxic-ness'... or someone who doesnt?

So what side was Alec on?

Flintty

"How many people have heard if gamergate??"
...........Crickets.

I myself, a 40 year old gamer. Still dont know what gamergate is? I dont know if i am a gamergater or on the other side. Please help me?

The way Era frames it, if you don’t 100% agree with Quinn you’re a Gater.

The (Era endorsed) list includes people like Total Biscuit (rest his glorious soul), Boogie, H3 and probably everyone with an active GAF account.

Despera

Banned
Allegations could be true, and considering all the other parties who spoke up, it's probably the case in which he actually abused Zoe.

But Zoe is one fucked up character and there's 0% chance these things happened to her just because she's unlucky.

I don't know... I've seen her interviews. She seems to suffer from a severe case of victim complex and is an expert emotional manipulator.

Either way justice should be given a chance to take its natural course. Only thing you will find on social platforms are outspoken children who are eager to exact their version of justice with little to no evidence.

ROMhack

Allegations could be true, and considering all the other parties who spoke up, it's probably the case in which he actually abused Zoe.

But Zoe is one fucked up character and there's 0% chance these things happened to her just because she's unlucky.

I don't know... I've seen her interviews. She seems to suffer from a severe case of victim complex and is an expert emotional manipulator.

Either way justice should be given a chance to take its natural course. Only thing you will find on social platforms are outspoken children who are eager to exact their version of justice with little to no evidence.

Yeah this is basically how I feel. It sounds like we're dealing with two people with severe personal problems. I think the fact that Alec was apparently trying to work past them is what makes the whole thing so sad. People are human beings and they naturally fuck up all the time. If you step away from the keyboard you realise that - also that relationships are nearly always messy. Courts of law exist in cases when people go too far. Social media only serves to make people feel better about themselves - the narcissism videos above - and in the worst cases, they choose to take down other people. A further massive issue is that people on social media don't see the human sides of the story. The tendency to show zero empathy is way too common.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
I don't think there will be any people left to tell these stories, if social media continues to exist. This is driving humanity into insanity, literally.

I wish everybody would watch these two videos:

For now, I'm off.

Wow I have no time to watch it all now but I saw the first minutes of the first vid and it reeks of truth. I was thinking about this divide on psychological profiles in populations. One fed by social media and the other doesn't. Recently I have been wondering how psychologically alien some of these people that live through platforms like Twitter and Instagram seem to me. It is almost as if they are other species. I don't use too much social media so maybe I'm on the other side. And it's not something about disagreeing or having different points of view, it's their whole substance, it almost feels like they are robots or some different type of human who are focused on so many, for me, absurd things. Like suddenly there would be a bunch of humans who evolve not to need food but likes on social media to survive, that's how profound I perceive that difference to be, like they have to the core their whole perspective and priorities skewed and they live in a completely different world. Scary stuff.

Teslerum

It's not that I necessarily disagree, but we cannot deny that a lot of these toxic women use the word feminist as a shield to cover their true intentions. They give genuine women who are in support of woman's rights a bad rep. Same goes for the left by the way.

Yeah, and that's kinda because you barely can establish a reasonable platform anymore. The moment you work for some ideal everyone around you tries to get you radicalized and our views immediatly switch to black and white.
If you're with us you're good, if you're not your evil. Most causes have long surpassed any goal or compromise.

There's no real discussion anymore, there's no real emphaty, there's no real understanding.

Everyone's just out for blood. A lot of blood.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I would bet most of what Quinn said about Holowka is true. But she also probably exaggerated to make him looks as bad as possible. That's human nature and happens frequently in divorce litigation, where the goal is to make your spouse unsympathetic to the judge.

Even if she did not consciously do it for this reason, her aim in writing it the way she did was to make herself the most sympathetic victim and attract the most attention possible to her plight as a victim. From a pure public relations standpoint, she is really good at that. I would not be surprised if she gets a new book deal.

zenspider

I'm also very disappointed in his sister. I feel sorry for her loss, but to feel sorry and donate to the very person responsible for his death is something beyond belief...

uO0jAqI.jpg

source

Jesus Christ.... that's your family! Even if you think he's a monster: at best maybe an anonymous donation if you really feel the need, or just - and I know this will sound crazy - keep that shit to yourself. At least wait for the body to get cold.

This is the most disturbing component to me. The only compassion I see online is with one's own projection of their self-image. Do any of these people give a shit about anything else?

It's like if they didn't have the mirror of media and social media to see themselves, would they think they didn't exist anymore?

Only people that desperate to exist under those conditions behave this way - on all sides here. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, and, to quote a great title of a Netflix show I've never seen, I don't feel at home in this world anymore. This shit is deranging.

ROMhack

Jesus Christ.... that's your family! Even if you think he's a monster: at best maybe an anonymous donation if you really feel the need, or just - and I know this will sound crazy - keep that shit to yourself. At least wait for the body to get cold.

This is the most disturbing component to me. The only compassion I see online is with one's own projection of their self-image. Do any of these people give a shit about anything else?

It's like if they didn't have the mirror of media and social media to see themselves, would they think they didn't exist anymore?

Only people that desperate to exist under those conditions behave this way - on all sides here. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, and, to quote a great title of a Netflix show I've never seen, I don't feel at home in this world anymore. This shit is deranging.

It's unconfirmed if it's true or not. Might be a fake.

It's also massively hypocritical for the Conservatives here to pretend they are somehow less bad than the left in terms of online harassment. Places like 4chan/8chan, Stormfront, T_D and Kiwifarms...
I'm not going to argue over 4/8chan or Kiwifarms since they're a mish mash of political affiliations and shitposting...but Stormfront!? Fucking Stormfront, a white supremacist site, of all places, is considered Conservative now?...
Whatever you're smoking, can I have some?

Shantae

Banned

uO0jAqI.jpg

source
Man, this is pretty fucked up...even if you fully believe Zoe was assaulted by him, how can not hold her accountable for her way of handling the situation?? How is this woman so fucking invulnerable to criticism from certain people when she is so transparently narcissistic.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

When you are mourning the death of a close friend or relative, your thought processes are really different than your normal every day thought processes. Plus she is probably somewhat scared and needs to buy some protection against being destroyed by the same mob. She can always reference that tweet as proof of her ideological bona fides if she gets denounced in the future because of who her brother was.

crowbrow

Banned
Another thing I thought about cancel culture is that many who participate in it are critical of China because of the social points or whatever is called system but this cancel culture is the same fucking thing. In fact, it is probably worse since it is basically unregulated and not quantifiable, at least with the chinese ones you get some kind of systematic "proof" the person "deserves" to be socially shunned. But with cancel culture in the west it is basically the equivalent of peasant mobs with torches chasing the impure and burning the whole castle with everything inside. Compared to the more "civilized" state-sanctioned witch hunts designed and controlled by the chinese government.

Here's what I don't understand as someone who didn't follow Gamergate originally or give a shit because it was some bullshit internet drama.

Is there a Gamergate.com or base of operations? It seems anyone can be accused and dismissed as being "Gamergate" because of what forums you post on or just by disagreeing with another perspective? If there was organized hate campaigns, wouldnt someone infultrate this group screencap and write an expose?? in 2019 it just feels like the GG corpse has been dug up to be paraded around as a boogieman.
There's nothing to infiltrate. GamerGate was never organized. There was no base of operations, no core group, no...definable line. It was simply a bunch of unhappy people pissed off at the lack of integrity in gaming press making their voices heard. Five Guys was simply the straw that broke the camel's back, regardless of whether or not it was true. How did the press respond? Smearing the shit out of much of their core audience with the now infamous "gamers are dead" articles...and thus GamerGate was born. There's nothing to infiltrate because much of it is a boogeyman of their own creation.

nush

There's nothing to infiltrate. GamerGate was never organized. There was no base of operations, no core group, no...definable line. It was simply a bunch of unhappy people pissed off at the lack of integrity in gaming press making their voices heard. Five Guys was simply the straw that broke the camel's back, regardless of whether or not it was true. How did the press respond? Smearing the shit out of much of their core audience with the now infamous "gamers are dead" articles...and thus GamerGate was born. There's nothing to infiltrate because much of it is a boogeyman of their own creation.
That makes sense, it's a phantom that can be whatever someone wants it to be to suit their argument.

ROMhack

Another thing I thought about cancel culture is that many who participate in it are critical of China because of the social points or whatever is called system but this cancel culture is the same fucking thing. In fact, it is probably worse since it is basically unregulated and not quantifiable, at least with the chinese ones you get some kind of systematic "proof" the person "deserves" to be socially shunned. But with cancel culture in the west it is basically the equivalent of peasant mobs with torches chasing the impure and burning the whole castle with everything inside. Compared to the more "civilized" state-sanctioned witch hunts designed and controlled by the chinese government.

I'm not going to say the Chinese Credit System is a good thing but yes it's utterly ironic and also terrifying that there's some semblance of control by comparison.

What we see in the West is akin to the Wild West. It's not democratised action because that would imply some form of order about it.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of this for now. It's upsetting to say the least.

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
That makes sense, it's a phantom that can be whatever someone wants it to be to suit their argument.
Pretty much, that's why anyone who disagrees with the narrative gets ostracized and labeled. There's no clear "agenda", it's a difference of perspective, and for some reason no one can be swayed. "You don't agree with me, well then there's only one possible conclusion: you're an evil racist, misogynist, who sides with alt right trump supporters! I must destroy you at all costs! Find this person's family, friends, expose their evil to the world!!"

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There is no way this is real, it defies human behaviour. After the warm words she had for her brother, and the progress he was making, it would be inhuman to support the entity that did nothing to prop up her brother, conversely responsible for bringing him down without remorse.

Actions speak louder then words.

Ogbert

I do actually feel for the two NiTW Developers who so quickly and publicly agreed to shame him. In hindsight, they obviously made a huge mistake but it will haunt them for the rest of their lives. I sincerely wish that on no individual. They will never recover from this.

They are also everything that Quinn is not - talented and successful game developers.

Quinn is simply a psychopath. At the moment, she is likely fluctuating between delightful bouts of self pity and anger.

Rien

Jelly Belly
The more you know... I kinda like the sound of it though.

I think the way its pronounced in English makes it sound more classy then in Dutch. English last names have more classy feeling to me in the Netherlands as well. Altough there are some real classy names in the Netherlands.

I do actually feel for the two NiTW Developers who so quickly and publicly agreed to shame him. In hindsight, they obviously made a huge mistake but it will haunt them for the rest of their lives. I sincerely wish that on no individual. They will never recover from this.

Maybe they got scared of the mob and just chose for their own future. But I agree with you. This will be something they propably carry the rest of their lives.
You dont just take distance from that.
I feel for them as well

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
You can't just try to fit communism, liberalism, anarchism, and everything else on 2 axis like that.

Obviously you can.
The whole confusion comes from Stalin who won WW2 against Hitler and then wanted to distance Communist ideology from NSDAP.
That's where the lie that Nazis are somehow Right was invented. It also fit perfectly into Western liberal views that also wanted to distance themselves from the progressivist-humanist (yes, fascism was pretty progressive then, and "humanist" always meant: human-centered as opposed to God and religion) Nazi ideology as well.
And that's how terms were redefined to mean: left - morally superior progressive light-eyed superhumans, and right - morally bankrupt evil deplorables. But then nobody wants to be on the right, that's where other "axes" come into play. Like "authoritharian", "libertarian" and such.

zenspider

When you are mourning the death of a close friend or relative, your thought processes are really different than your normal every day thought processes. Plus she is probably somewhat scared and needs to buy some protection against being destroyed by the same mob. She can always reference that tweet as proof of her ideological bona fides if she gets denounced in the future because of who her brother was.

It's unconfirmed if it's true or not. Might be a fake.
A twitter account since 2010? Seems like a pretty long con for the payoff.

EDIT: After talking to some young persons I get that faking tweets is a thing. I'm going throw my phone in a lake.

Vol5

Truth to this... Zoe Quinn instigated gamergate

She did instigate the whole thing. Quinn was working for Twitter at the time I believe. Candace mentioned the same thing on the Dave Rubin show. The more people who understand this the better. What's incredible is the BBC pick it up as #MeToo for gaming without any journalistic integrity whatsoever. The BBC...the so-called impartial BBC.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't think there will be any people left to tell these stories, if social media continues to exist. This is driving humanity into insanity, literally.

I wish everybody would watch these two videos:

For now, I'm off.

That first video... geez. I am not on social media for many of the reasons he names, but to hear the negative impact laid out so cogently is terrifying.

crowbrow

Banned
Obviously you can.
The whole confusion comes from Stalin who won WW2 against Hitler and then wanted to distance Communist ideology from NSDAP.
That's where the lie that Nazis are somehow Right was invented. It also fit perfectly into Western liberal views that also wanted to distance themselves from the progressivist-humanist (yes, fascism was pretty progressive then, and "humanist" always meant: human-centered as opposed to God and religion) Nazi ideology as well.
And that's how terms were redefined to mean: left - morally superior progressive light-eyed superhumans, and right - morally bankrupt evil deplorables. But then nobody wants to be on the right, that's where other "axes" come into play. Like "authoritharian", "libertarian" and such.
You can't really equate communism with NS since Hitler and other fascists like Mussolini systematically persecuted communists. And even though fascism had its origins in some union circles, it eventually distanced itself from them and became opposed to them also as well as it allied itself with religious powers and private interests but then again the Church and money are really always opportunistic in that way. Fascism has a complex history.

Ladioss

I wish people were less insulting when talking about Zoe or Alec's sister. Of course, there is a lot to say about how Zoe handled the situation, but remember that we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle and ideally, that case should have ended up in front of a court of justice.

Ultimately, the problem lies with modern society's infuation with resentment politics and how social network enable mob justice.

Well, generally speaking, to be a conservative is to want to preserve the status quo. A regressive wants to take things back, and a progressive wants to make things better.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. Even when the revolutionist might himself repent of his revolution, the traditionalist is already defending it as part of his tradition. Thus we have two great types -- the advanced person who rushes us into ruin, and the retrospective person who admires the ruins." - Chesterton

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wish people were less insulting when talking about Zoe or Alec's sister. Of course, there is a lot to say about how Zoe handled the situation, but remember that we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle and ideally, that case should have ended up in front of a court of justice.

Ultimately, the problem lies with modern society's infuation with resentment politics and how social network enable mob justice.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected. Even when the revolutionist might himself repent of his revolution, the traditionalist is already defending it as part of his tradition. Thus we have two great types -- the advanced person who rushes us into ruin, and the retrospective person who admires the ruins." - Chesterton
It's a spot of bright light on the internet where G.K Chesterton gets a quote during civilized conversation. GAF is for the galaxy-brained.

buizel

Banned
She did instigate the whole thing. Quinn was working for Twitter at the time I believe. Candace mentioned the same thing on the Dave Rubin show. The more people who understand this the better. What's incredible is the BBC pick it up as #MeToo for gaming without any journalistic integrity whatsoever. The BBC...the so-called impartial BBC.

BBC arent impartial at all. They (barely) covered up Jimmy Saville's crimes (he was major in BBC, and everyone knew, he used violence to silence (oops rhyme)) , and also - get this, reported on a 9/11 building collapse BEFORE it happened - (thats for another time but hey..)

Ogbert

Maybe they got scared of the mob and just chose for their own future. But I agree with you. This will be something they propably carry the rest of their lives. You dont just take distance from that. I feel for them as well

From what I can glean and, trying to be as reasonable as possible, it seems like he was a genuinely disturbed fella that had behavioral flaws. I also think it's reasonable to assume that his two friends were well aware of those flaws and had done their best to support him.

They then sent those messages, probably thinking they were doing the right thing.

I suspect they would do everything to take it all back.

Ogbert

It's a spot of bright light on the internet where G.K Chesterton gets a quote during civilized conversation. GAF is for the galaxy-brained.

Have to take issue with Gilbert on this one. Conservatism isn't simply preservation. I think it's rather caution. I like C S Lewis' take:

We all want progress. But progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.

crowbrow

Banned

Brilliant quote by Chesterton, thanks!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Nope.

When it comes to sexuality, the plural term "they" is re-used in a different way because "he" and "she" don't want to be used as descriptions.
I hate it as much as the next guy, but to be fair, they has always been used to describe someone of unknown gender.

"I'm not sure who came into my home and ate all my Twinkies, but they are going to pay dearly."

Last edited:
Poor Alec, he really didn't have anyone by his side. No wonder it happened, they all pushed him there.

This is exactly how I felt. No wonder the guy was suicidal if his sister is that quick to throw him under the bus, presumably to shield herself from the mob.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Have to take issue with Gilbert on this one. Conservatism isn't simply preservation. I think it's rather caution. I like C S Lewis' take:
I believe the quotes are complimentary and are talking about two different facets of politics: CS Lewis is describing the ideal conservative outlook and its ideal function in a healthy society. Between the two, CS Lewis (a former atheist) was far more generous toward political blocs. Part of his popularity and readability is that he began with an everyman, secular viewpoint and moved the conversation toward theology. He frequently cited certain conservative and progressive ideals as positive examples of Christian doctrine.

Chesterton is talking about how conservatism (and liberalism) have been coopted by the modern world and propped up as two false dichotomies. Chesterton was significantly more conservative than CS Lewis -- arguably, his most enduring works are theological in nature -- and openly criticized the public, political "conservative" movements of his own day i.e. the hypocritical behavior of the Church in political matters.

I don't think Chesterton is wrong and Lewis is right -- or versa vice. Rather, they're describing two different facets of conservatism from their own vantage point.

Flintty

I hate it as much as the next guy, but to be fair, they has always been used to describe someone of unknown gender.

"I'm not sure who came into my home and ate all my Twinkies, but they are going to pay dearly."

Fuck, what sort of person steals your Twinkies?! Inhuman.

PS. You’re right.

This is exactly how I felt. No wonder the guy was suicidal if his sister is that quick to throw him under the bus, presumably to shield herself from the mob.

I think it’s really important to remember that tweet is unconfirmed. Let’s not set the narrative in stone Era style and direct more hate 👍🏻

Last edited:

In that case it's not just describing someone of an unknown gender, but people of an unknown quantity. There's nothing in that sentence that tells me it was only one person who broke in and ate the twinkies. Regardless these people aren't asking us to describe someone of an unknown gender. Within the context of their demands their gender is known and they just want us to abuse the English language to avoid hurting their fee fees. Atleast the xe/xer crowd had the good sense to make up a new word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz
The sister is an ardently woke feminist. You'd be surprised what ideological possession could make otherwise rational, or at the very least neurologically functional, people say. On the most extreme end there are people who leave normal lives in well off countries to join ISIS. One couple did that and had their children killed (in a bombing, I think) and were still undeterred, saying that it's what Allah wanted for their kids so it's alright.

The strength of people's ideological convictions can be truly outrageous but it's not unusual. Also, the sister is involved in the indie games scene. In particular the explicitly woke corner of that scene where Zoe holds a lot of sway. It would be no big shock if Alec's sister was receiving very real pressure from her peers to say something publicly that would take the heat off Zoe.

In any case I'd try to extend some empathy to a person who's suffered a massive loss. Expressing shock at her statements is one thing but veering off into "fuck this bitch" territory is too much. She's clearly not in a good place right now and I'd imagine dealing with a lot of pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom