• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn: "what the fuck did I ever do to you, Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
FLegtNF.png

Source

I really hope this was not intentional.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I first thought it was about Watergate when I read it. I don't think a localisation team would want to touch Gamergate with a barge pole. That's completely awful if it is a direct reference to Zoë Quinn.

Rich!

Of course it isn't. -gate existed before gamergate and believe it or not, most people would match -gate with a million other things before gamer-.

georly

Fun guys = fungi = toads are mushrooms.

Coincidence.

Edit:
It's not the gate so much as gate + 5 guys, apparently. Still think it's coincidence.

I'm not gonna lie, I never made that connection during the Treehouse demo but damn...I don't think its intentional but seeing what she's been through its easy to make that parallel.

Why on earth would anyone assume this has anything to do with Gamergate? I think it's terrible what they've done to Zoe Quinn, but this can't be serious.

Is there a more direct-reference part of that image I'm missing? "-gate" is a pretty common suffix as a reference to any sort on controversy these days.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, total coincidence and has nothing to do with #FiveGuysBurgersAndFries

Right.

The first image is the most direct reference, for the people not keeping up. The second image is just the punchline.

I think it's general enough that it's not really referencing gamergate in particular, but I can also see how that'd be the first thing someone thinks of.

EDIT: Wasn't aware of what the Five Guys line was referencing. Yeah this seems pretty suspect...

hupla

If you think the -gate is in reference to water gate when the preceding line has "five guys" in it i dont know what to tell you

If the word was just used on its own I could see wiggle room, but "Shufflegate" + "Five Fun Guys" suggests it's a direct reference to Gamergate.

Jonnax

Part of the shit that Gamergate spewed was that that she slept with five guys or something like that. So they made it a meme about five guys.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's most likely a WaterGate joke, Nintendo wouldn't put a Five Guys joke in there (or at least I don't think they would)

But... its right there?

Like obviously Gate on its own doesn't mean much but I don't know how you don't think its intentional with the five guys reference.

If you think the -gate is in reference to water gate when the preceding line has "five guys" in it i dont know what to tell you

Well, aside from the part where you leave out "fun" from "Five Fun Guys", and the context where they're all mushrooms i.e. fungi...

The '-Gate' thing has been a thing longer than Zoe Quinn and most gamers have been alive.

Yes GG sucks but that doesn't mean every '-Gate' reference is a reference to them.

EDIT: Oh wait, the Five Guys part is a GG reference? I thought it was a reference to the actual burger joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom