• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn: "what the fuck did I ever do to you, Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoje0308

Banned
I mean, I think it's a coincidence as well, but you are aware that Nintendo games have a fuckload of internet memes references, right?

Yes, which is why I mentioned their family friendly reputation. For all of their fuck ups, I simply can't see them going anywhere near this issue, and especially not to make a joke.

saturnine

this thread is a fucking madhouse

people really need to take a break from their insular communities and step away from the keyboard for five minutes

I can't imagine Nintendo would have knowingly put in a GamerGate reference, but that Five Fun Guys thing makes this whole situation so iffy. If it weren't for that one aspect, I'd say without a doubt that it was intended to be a Watergate thing.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm pretty sure the intention of this joke was a Watergate reference, including the five guys aspect of it (considering that Watergate actually involved five men/guys).

With that said, I can 100% see how the combination of the five fun guys pun, and the watergate reference, and the "exposed" aspect of the joke (wasn't it Zoe who had some nude photos a photographer took of her spread around the internet), would lead anyone to make the connection to GamerGate. I didn't know about the Five Guys thing until this thread, but yeah, after learning that, I can also understand how someone who was shat on the way Zoe was would react like she did to a "joke" like this.

I personally think it was an unfortunate coincidence, but in this day and age, with sexism and harassment still a prominent issue in the industry, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an intentional dig. My feeling is that it's a Watergate joke, but I'm also not dismissing the GamerGate connection. It'd be safer to remove the joke or alter it in some way.

Leunam

I don't even know anything about her, not even what she looks like.

When I say "not everything is about you", I'm referring to literally anyone who has ever said that something happened in entertainment media was because of them.

Unless it's on South Park, or you're someone incredibly famous, i.g Arnold Schwarzenegger or Donald Trump, it isn't about you.

I mean you're right, it can be a throwaway comment if you're not familiar with the whole story behind GamerGate and Zoe Quinn.

But then you have shit like this:

She thought.... How can I make myself relevant again?

Altairre

uKfPTKX.png

I'm with Austin on this one.

RulkezX

Mario Pary 8 team names

GaugoLA.jpg

Officially the most destructive l, historically accurate e-pun of all time

That wraps that up then , surely ?

Twitter can find something else to rant about.

Side Note - I think some of you really over estimate just how well GG is known outside of certain demographics / sites online.

I honestly can't believe how many users are acting like this one situation absolves all of the bullshit and trauma that Quinn has been put through.

It's super disgusting.

This is a reference to a meme that was born on GAF that is used ironically. You've been had.

This whole thing revolves people not understanding a huge historical reference though, so I shouldn't be surprised that a reference that is a bit younger would catch a few people.

easy to misinterpret that IF you hand pick two screenshots

the video of that scene mirrors the events of watergate pretty obviously
After all that's happened, are you sure you want to state that Zoe Quinn is somehow attention-starved and is 'handpicking' screenshots to, as others here have said, 'stay relevant'?

I can't believe the lack of empathy ITT.

okay but seriously GAF going full on Davinci Code to solve the pun and proving that it was about Watergate is the best

Quinn just needs to say it was a misunderstanding and that it is kinda easy to misconstrue it and then just take the L and give up

I agree, she has just made an honest but embarrassing mistake.

Brakke

Banned
Is there even anything specific about "career ruining"? Like... isn't Zoe working on a game right now even? Or did she give that up to work on Crash Override?

Mega

Banned
regardless of how people read this, the fact remains that Nintendo is completely tone-deaf. It shows that no one at Nintendo is watching or are informed enough to care irrespective of what thing they tried to reference.

There is no fact to your statement. Watergate reference + use of the popular ___Gate meme. There is nothing tonedeaf over a light-hearted joke in a game aimed at kids and Nintendo fans who know nothing about GG and Zoe.

Ashodin

okay but seriously GAF going full on Davinci Code to solve the pun and proving that it was about Watergate is the best

Quinn just needs to say it was a misunderstanding and that it is kinda easy to misconstrue it and then just take the L and give up

This will never happen. If she retracts her statement or says anything about it that looks so, people will assume GamerGaters have won. It's something she can't take back now that it's out there.

This is a watergate joke, can we /endthread now?

I understand completely why some people would draw connections to Quinn, but I seriously doubt that's what they were going for.

Yeah, I watched the video. I'm not seeing the Gamergate connection at all. But then I didn't know about the original "5 guys" thing for either gate. Man what a crazy coincidence that is.

While I think Zoe is overreacting, if something seemed a little too similar to recent troubles I've had (that was public knowledge), I'd probably be upset too regardless of original intent.

Sadly, I don't think Nintendo can "win" here. Even if someone from Treehouse went to great lengths to explain the joke as a Watergate reference Quinn and her followers would just scoff and handwave it as an "obvious lie" and if they said "yeah it was a reference to you sorry" then that would just be endlessly lambasted.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Watching a video of the scene makes it seem likely that this was an unfortunate coincidence, but truthfully I think when we all saw the juxtaposition of the two images, there was a visceral "Awkward, that clearly could play the other way too". The thread is being locked because at this point it has degenerated to people, including people with multiple past gamergate bans and people fresh off bans for losing their shit about feminists, hurling unusually personal invective against Quinn.

Maybe a more sane and empathetic way to respond would be to notice that this is a person who, as a result of being constantly harangued by abusive Twitter weirdos, has a hair trigger when it comes to this stuff. Given that the main grievance being expressed by the people who are very angry about Quinn being angry is that she's jumping to conclusions, it's disheartening to see those same people jump to the conclusion that she must be a pathological narcissist because she reacted poorly to this.

This is one of the many actual replies she got her for Tweet, in response to a conversation about making the industry a less hostile place:
yJh3oTd.png

Take the time to be aware that getting outraged about outrage is the outrage culture you're outraged about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom