• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn: "what the fuck did I ever do to you, Nintendo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
regardless of how people read this, the fact remains that Nintendo is completely tone-deaf. It shows that no one at Nintendo is watching or are informed enough to care irrespective of what thing they tried to reference.
GG is insider pool. In fact, the less people know about those guys the better.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nintendo themselves have used a similar pun before. In Mario Party 8 (released in 2007), if you pair Mario and Toad together the team is called "Fungi Fun Guys".

Mario Pary 8 team names

GaugoLA.jpg

Officially the most destructive l, historically accurate e-pun of all time

FZZ

Banned
okay but seriously GAF going full on Davinci Code to solve the pun and proving that it was about Watergate is the best

Quinn just needs to say it was a misunderstanding and that it is kinda easy to misconstrue it and then just take the L and give up

LordJim

they're a fucking game company, they should know about one of the worst things that has happened to the games industry
I do not see a Horse Armor DLC reference there.

I guess the fault of the localizer was expecting Americans to go for the historical reference first

Simbabbad

No matter the arguments in here, someone at Nintendo is really dense to be making any -gate joke within a video game, and especially from them, at the time being. Regardless of intent.
OK, so I guess Nintendo shouldn't ever make something about a "queen", too, because she'll think it's about her?

Sorry, but asking that nobody ever references Watergate so as not to upset one specific individual is flat out insane.

It's very sad that she's kept this ridiculous stance because from now on everything will spiral out of control.

regardless of how people read this, the fact remains that Nintendo is completely tone-deaf.
Are you serious? Even here nobody saw any sort of issue before Quinn thought it was about her.

Man, this thread is painful. You don't need to be clueless about Watergate to interpret the joke as a reference to GG, especially given that the translators had an employee hounded by people identifying with that group. That said, it probably is a Watergate joke.

And people attacking Zoe Quinn and accusing her of attention whoring are just being gross, she had her life ruined by this bullshit and she's most likely a bit sensitive to things which remind her of it. Bonus fuckwit points for anyone who tweeted Wikipedia links to her, you tone-deaf cockslots.

Lastly, smh at people calling a horrible series of events which literally ruined lives and saw people harassed to the point where they were forced to flee their homes "social media drama".

Zeeman

Guys, it's clearly a Watergate reference. The five guys thing is because there are five Toads and it's a very Nintendo pun. At the same time, the coincidence is super unfortunate and it would be great if Nintendo could change things; even accidentally evoking something like this is super terrible for Zoe.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
regardless of how people read this, the fact remains that Nintendo is completely tone-deaf. It shows that no one at Nintendo is watching or are informed enough to care irrespective of what thing they tried to reference.

So you mean, Okay I was wrong... but its still their fault!

Chaos17

After just looking at the images I thought she mightve been right.

But after watching the video where the images came from, I don't think it's a reference to gamergate at all(especially with 5 guys being involved with watergate). Did someone send her those images or did she watch the video and still felt it was about her?

I already tried with the Water gate ref, she reject it, so...

zqwmao5.png

I will let other people try maybe they will have more chance. I tried to help her...

This thread has really been educational for me. Had no idea "Five Guys" was related to GG, but I also hadn't remembered that as a detail regarding Watergate.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Nintendo should just change it if it makes her feel better. It's not a big deal.

Why do some people think the person doing this for Nintendo would use "Five Fun Guys" when it was "Five burglars", when GamerGate controversy had specifically "Five Guys", which is much, much, much, MUCH, less obscure to gamers than trying to use "Five burglars" and trying to turn that into a pun just because the "five burglars" were men and thus "guys".

This was taking advantage of the parallels of the two, but what really makes this obvious that it was hinting towards GamerGate and Quinn is the "Five Fun Guys".

Because calling yourselves The Five Fun Burglars would not help your con game.

Has anyone translated the Japanese text yet? I'd be very curious to see what that says.

Game isn't out yet, this was from e3. I'd also guess some liberties were taken from the original script, especially the shufflegate part, since humor has never been universal and good localizations always take a fair amount of liberties

Nintendo being "ultra conservative" is exactly the reason I'd expect them to make a pro-GG statement like this.
even if this WAS a gamergate reference (it isn't) you don't actually believe that it reads as nintendo being pro gamergate, right?

a reference to something doesn't mean you support it

Some people are still missing the core part of "FIVE GUYS".

With Watergate, they were never known as "Five guys", it was "Five burglars".

A core part of the GamerGate controversy was specifically "Five Guys" usage, it was used in the hashtag, it was a hashtag itself, if you even google "gamergate five guys" or "zoe quinn five guys" you will find tons of evidence of this.

Yes the the five fun guys etc is a fungi pun. We get it, that doesn't change anything. I'll refer to that in a bit

Why do some people think the person doing this for Nintendo would use "Five Fun Guys" when it was "Five burglars", when GamerGate controversy had specifically "Five Guys", which is much, much, much, MUCH, less obscure to gamers than trying to use "Five burglars" and trying to turn that into a pun just because the "five burglars" were men and thus "guys".

This was taking advantage of the parallels of the two, but what really makes this obvious that it was hinting towards GamerGate and Quinn is the "Five Fun Guys". I'm sorry but trying to say that is a reference to Watergate is perhaps one of the most obscure references you can get when "FIVE GUYS" regarding GAMERGATE that more gamers would know about is MUCH LESS OBSCURE than when "five burglars" were used in Watergate which were "guys". That is an insane leap to try and make a pun and say Watergate was its context, the pun was made in context of "five guys" in relation to GamerGate. Come on.

Is this the new "Square just shot themselves in the foot." meme :lol?

Gator86

I've been on her side since the beginning but she's being a shithead right now.

Whether she's correct in her assertion or not, who can blame her for this type of content feeling more personal considering her entire life was completely upended? Try to have a little empathy for a fellow human being if you can muster it for 5-10 seconds.

Cromwell

Banned
Ask a non american about watergate, and they would told you about Deepthorat, the 2 Washington Post journalist,... but not the 5 guys who were arrested.

Hell, I watched All the President's Men and never made the connection.

Ask a dude about GamerGate and they'll know that the "Five Guys" thing is basically what started it all.

This is a company that makes translations based on memes, I'll give more credibility to the GamerGate intentionality that the other way around.

And they didn't really do anything about it.

Well, they actually did something, they legitimated the movement.

The only people even aware of GG are in the hardcore gaming bubble, and a minority of THOSE people know about the five guys thing. Today is the first time I've even heard of that. There's the bubble, and then there's the bubble in the bubble.

Almost every living person in the civilized world knows of or has at least heard of Watergate.

Lime

You would be absolutely amazed at how much of the going-ons of the internet, especially events that are multiple years old at this point, are completely unknown by the rest of the world.

If they never heard of one of the worst things to happen to the games industry that has affected many people, then they really are completely out of touch.

And honestly, why should Nintendo care? They are a corporate entity that is literally not at all involved with any of this. Also, they're a corporation - they only care about making money. No one concerns themselves with this type of thing

they're a fucking game company, they should know about one of the worst things that has happened to the games industry

Gamergate did not occur within the game's industry, or at least it didn't occur on any level a company like Nintendo operates on. It occurred online, within social media, amongst tiny pockets of the community at large, journalists, & an indie dev.

I understand GG is a huge event to a lot of people on here, but take stock of the fact that it really isn't anywhere near as big as we think it is. In fact, if anything, Anita Sarkessian would be the face of this event, since she was the one who got the biggest headlines during that scandal and ended up going on the Colbert show, not ZQ.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
If anything, I'm more impressed that so many people on GAF have never heard of the Watergate scandal.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
No they won't. If you asked 10,000 people, 9,999 would not make this connection. If you asked 100,000 people, 5 might.

What you should say is, "Ask a person who is intimately aware about GamerGate and they'll know about the "Five Guys" thing is basically what started it all."

Bu guess what, most people aren't aware about GamerGate. It means nothing to an unbelievable majority of people. An overwhelming majority of people. Quite literally something like 99.999999999% of people on earth would not make this connection. They would only make a connection to Watergate which is probably the most famous scandal of all time.
1) The person who wrote that line was PART OF THE GAMING INDUSTRY... so much more likely to have knowledge of gamergate, correct?
2) It would only take one person to write it, and if the editors and testers didn't catch it, it would get through.

MoaM

Neo Member
It's probably both interpretations, but I'm more-so leaning towards Gamergate truthers, or whatever we call them, as creating a feigned controversy based off of Watergate itself.

Treehouse just merged both in this particular joke.

This is ridiculous. If you actually watched the video you can see those two frames aren't connected. They call them Five Fun Guys like 10 times and like 5-10 minutes of gameplay before the Shufflegate line. It really seemed like a coincidence. There were Five Fun Guys, Nintendo makes the "Fun Guy" joke all the time. They are a group and for alliteration or namesake you can have four fun guys or five fun guys. Five probably seemed better for the mini game. Gate to me just seemed like a reference to every scandal being a "gate."

maxcriden

The five toads were pulling a con, a theft through their game the way the 5 watergate thieves were. The scene unto itself, the motivation of the toads, and what they said all parallel Watergate, they don't parallel gamergate.

If that's really what the video shows, then it's definitely Watergate.

I say this as a big ZQ supporter.

Akronis

hell, they even fired one of their employees because of those bigots

You really think game developers and large publishers shelve this under "worst things ever?"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I have all the sympathy in the world for Zoe, but this was a Watergate joke. From the set up to the punchline. I can see her being a bit touchy of course, but I give this a 1% chance it refers to GG. If anything, blame Gamergate for fucking up even obvious references to Watergate.

I do not like the out of context screenshots she posted though. The video is clear as day on it's joke, reference and more.

Also, I find it a reach that Treehouse, a place which has received so many attacks from GG over the years would put in a joke that would willingly put them in front and center along with Zoe. Especially with the Rapp situation AND the amount of women who work for Treehouse.

I'm sorry for her, but I think this was blown out of proportion. =/

I'm not talking about Nintendo exclusively. I seriously doubt that Japanese developers are even aware about GG. And I seriously doubt the guys of Treehouse wrote this and thought "hopefully nobody will take this as a GG reference", as it's been suggested by some people.

I'm trying to tell you your serious doubts are missing the mark. Even here in Japan devs are aware of GG. Obviously the original text for this scene was not written to be a GG joke but the localization was an unfortunate word choice given recent history.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can a mod edit the OP to include the video for context and all the Watergate stuff since there's people that still think this is an attack and not just a dated reference?
The topic creator seems to have bailed.

Sàmban

Banned
To add more evidence to this, one of Treehouse's employees was harassed by Gamergate and eventually fired by Nintendo. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE FOR TREEHOUSE TO MAKE FUN OF ZOEY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom