• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi U pics + footage

Kyuur

I'm pretty excited for this game, but the narrator bugs me a bit. So many games resort to a narrated tutorial voiced by a disembodied benefactor. There's just always some dude over an intercom who is willing to tell you what to do. It seems to oppose the idea that it is more realistic than other zombie games.

Of course I say that having not played the game, so the early footage could be overplaying that role.

Do the characters you play carry radios? It's not unfathomable for someone to be helping survivors via radio in a situation like that. It'd be even cooler if the radio was an item you could have with you, and you'd only get to hear him if you have it on and with you.

feel

Wow the footage is nice! Looks like an Old School Resident Evil + Condemned hybrid. Definitely interested in the console and game now.

Had no clue what this looked like, but judging by the name and exclusivity I was expecting something very colorful and casual. Pleasant surprise.

x-Lundz-x

No. Most retail guesses are for the Sunday before Black Friday.

That would be effing madness if they did that. Still, it seems weird with only 6 months left in the year they do not have a date. I can only imagine the rage if it gets delayed into 2013.

NateDrake

That would be effing madness if they did that. Still, it seems weird with only 6 months left in the year they do not have a date. I can only imagine the rage if it gets delayed into 2013.

Nintendo did this with the 3DS and Wii. We'll get a launch date and price in around 2 months.

jerd

What a horrible title for a game. Of course, from a marketing standpoint, it is brilliant.

I thought so too until I found out that it is a sequel to the first game Ubisoft ever created, titled Zombi. I think that's pretty neat actually.

DynamicG

Do the characters you play carry radios? It's not unfathomable for someone to be helping survivors via radio in a situation like that. It'd be even cooler if the radio was an item you could have with you, and you'd only get to hear him if you have it on and with you.

It's just a pet peeve. It seems to occur quite a bit and I'm irritated by it but it won't put me off. It's almost a trope at this point since only a few games really work it into the story.

It could make sense in a certain context. I like your idea. It would be very cool if the radio was an item. Maybe there could be a limited number of them, so if your character died you'd have to hunt down that specific radio from your dead character.

Edit:
I'm not sure if they all carry radios. I imagine they would.

So far Ubisoft is doing a better job of convincing me to invest in a WiiU then Nintendo.

This looks awesome! Too bad they're not animating when you pick up weapons kinda diminishes the immersiveness.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For those just tuning in, here's what we learned from E3 (mostly from the dev walkthrough):

- Set in London.
- Emphasis on survival. How long you can stay alive.
- One bite, you die. That 'character' is gone forever. Lose all your skills/gear.
- No saving, checkpoints of 'game overs'.
- Instead you 'respawn' as a different survivor in a different location, yet in the same game world.
- Can run into your previously played, now dead, survivors. Kill them to loot equipment you found during that play.
- 'Dynamic' level design to avoid obvious scripting. Scares/spawns different each time you play.
- As the game world is persistent actions by one survivor will be observable by another. EG: Unlock doors with one character, that character dies. Second character will find those doors unlocked. Equipment stored in safe houses by dead survivors lootable by new ones.
- Leaderboards ranking deaths per 'mission'.
- Wii U GamePad is your 'survival kit'. Used for interacting with the game world, using tools, etc.
- Used to create a cinematic 'third person' perspective when interacting via the pad. Devs liken it to horror movie scenes like someone trying to unlock a car, and an over the shoulder perspective showing incoming zombies.
- Can upgrade weapons.

I'm pretty excited for this game, but the narrator bugs me a bit. So many games resort to a narrated tutorial voiced by a disembodied benefactor. There's just always some dude over an intercom who is willing to tell you what to do. It seems to oppose the idea that it is more realistic than other zombie games.

Of course I say that having not played the game, so the early footage could be overplaying that role.

Well the story so far is that the Zombi(e?) apocalypse was planned for and that the guy talking to you was in on it.

I will be getting this day one with the Wii U. I bought Red Steel with the Wii and didn't think it was THAT bad. Sure, the controls were a bit off but at least Ubisoft tried to make something that stood out and they did a lot better with Red Steel 2.

Phazon

The multiplayer was a lot of fun (played a demo two weeks ago), but I couldn't play the singeplayer due to framerate problems (it could also be because of an overheated Wii U). I hope the framerate issues will be tackled before release.

flippedb

Banned
Edit: nvm, we have Zombi U2 for that.

hJZPjl.jpg

Oh man!
That's Bono, yeh.

vareon

For those just tuning in, here's what we learned from E3 (mostly from the dev walkthrough):

- Set in London.
- One bite, you die. That 'character' is gone forever. Lose all your skills/gear.
- Instead you 'respawn' as a different survivor in a different location, yet in the same game world.
- Can run into your previously played, now dead, survivors. Kill them to loot equipment you found during that play.
- 'Dynamic' level design to avoid obvious scripting. Scares/spawns different each time you play.
- As the game world is persistent actions by one survivor will be observable by another. EG: Unlock doors with one character, that character dies. Second character will find those doors unlocked. Equipment stored in safe houses by dead survivors lootable by new ones.
- Wii U GamePad is your 'survival kit'. Used for interacting with the game world, using tools, etc.
- Used to create a cinematic 'third person' perspective when interacting via the pad. Devs liken it to horror movie scenes like someone trying to unlock a car, and an over the shoulder perspective showing incoming zombies.
- Can upgrade weapons.

Sounds like a really unique effort. Does the old Zombi game has the same premise? (one bite kill, respawn as other character)

Levyne

Banned

- Set in London.
- Can upgrade weapons.

These points especially sound awesome

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

- Set in London.
- Can upgrade weapons.

I'd just add you can be HIT a few times and survive - you do have actual health.
One actual "zombie bite," and you die - but you do have a limited number of syringes (not sure what's in them) that act as a "shield" - if you're about to be bit, and you use one, you auto kill that zombie and you can get away.

It's a very limited resource management defense mechanism though.

jmls1121

Banned
The game sounds like its actually a unique game with fresh gameplay concepts. Who knew that was possible anymore.

Day 1.

Holy shit this looks amazing... though I got burned bad with Red Steel, so I'm feeling mixed emotions right now... please let these be real!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
nintendo-e3-capsule-08-573x380.jpg

My Zombody is ready.

Looks fantastic.

Now where's that dude that said this game looks worse than Condemned? lol

Holy shit this looks amazing... though I got burned bad with Red Steel, so I'm feeling mixed emotions right now... please let these be real!

I don't get it. What does Red Steel have to do with this other than it was a launch game by Ubi?

It's an entirely different team making this game people.

- Set in London.
- Can upgrade weapons.

Day 1 for me, cant wait for this game!

Meelow

Banned
Looks like they have touched up the character and zombie models as well. I remember the faces looking worse in the E3 demo.

It definitely was, hopefully they will make them look even better.

(Still needs a little more work)

But I'm happy, launch title for me.

Wow this really is looking good especially in motion. Such atmosphere and tension. Glad they ditched the outerspace theme. They can reuse those assets for the rabbids game they are also making for wii u anyway.

Lighting is good in the game and moves very solidly. Texture work and shaders are improved from the last build especially on the models. Pretty solid effort so far but still five months away so plenty of tweaking still to be done. Its not looking like an early 360 game anymore as the polish is starting to come through. The atmosphere you get by having the hud on another screen really works for this game I can really see people enjoying watching me play on the screen as it is very cinematic. I cant wait to see all the gameplay elements. If capcom made a resident evil themed game with these controls it will be a winner in my books.

I didn't think too much about the game at first seeing it in e3 but it is a big surprise to see it going along smoothly. Cant wait to see other wii u game builds in the coming weeks

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ubisoft is tearing it up recently.

- Set in London.
- Can upgrade weapons.
Sounds good...

...and looks good too.

I'm in.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
haha @ those on the first page who said the second image is a bullshot.

I don't know you, but the actual gameplay video of that part looks as good.

Wow. Color me impressed. Wasn't too jazzed during the E3 demo; but the more I hear and especially now that I've seen this seemingly updated build, the more excited I get. The ambience on the videos is amazing, truly looks like survival horror to me. I can't believe this is the game that might sell me on the Wii U.

freddy

Banned
I'm starting to think I'll buy this version of Resident Evil 6 instead of the other one. The gameplay looks like awesome in a bottle.

Otacon

one thing I don't understand - if there is no saving, will there be checkpoints/new locations that you unlock as a starting point for the next character after you died or do you have to play and finish in one sitting? but then the game won't be longer than 2-3 hours...
looks really great and challenging
maybe my favourite genre isn't completely dead after all
might buy a Wii U thanks to Ubisoft's lineup (Rayman, Zombi U, ACIII)

- Set in London.
- Can upgrade weapons.

well, if this holds true in the final game, consider me sold on the Wii U at launch.

Top Bottom