• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zork is full of [verified] lies

Syriel

Thanks. :")

Eh, this thing was released 13 years before my birth. :")

It was also bundled with a little known FPS game that hit consoles back in 2010.

I don't think it sold very well, so you might not have heard about it. It was called Call of Duty: Black Ops. Published by a small company called Activision.

Wag

get

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
A few years ago, I found myself with a bit of free time... and I had an idea. Speedruns were popular, so why not a speed run of the most ridiculous genre possible?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bLBy7gQPI

What made things fun was the number of random actions that could mess up a speedrun. (I kept footage of several partial runs...)

A few years later, the video suddenly began getting thousands of views due to Zork being included in Black Ops. YouTube sent me an email inviting me to monetize the video, but as I was using footage from the game, I didn't feel as though I could click the "I own all copyrights" button. Not sure how everyone else gets around that...

I've seen more text adventure speedrun recently, but I like to think I was somehow the forerunner...

poodaddy

The original Street Fighter 2 had random input windows for special moves.

Whoa! Is this true? Surely not.....

It was also bundled with a little known FPS game that hit consoles back in 2010.

I don't think it sold very well, so you might not have heard about it. It was called Call of Duty: Black Ops. Published by a small company called Activision.

It's cute that you think everyone has played that game. Plenty of gaffers aren't big on shooters.....

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any reason to do this beyond being an asshole? Even as a placeholder thing they forgot remove, it seems like a shitty way to test weight limit message.

It looks like you get the denial more often if you're already holding a lot of stuff.

Maybe they were trying to model encumberance in a really obtuse way, by making it harder to pick stuff up if you were already carrying a lot.

Are you from the planet Sarcasm?

I'm not entirely sure what he means but if anyone on this planet knows about z-machine specifics it is Plotkin.

https://twitter.com/zarfeblong/status/902004165806829569

To summarize from what I learned in this thread:

Every object had a weight property and you had a hard weight limit in addition to the semi-random object threshold.

You were much more likely to hit the weight limit by carrying a few heavy things than hit the object threshold by carrying a lot of light things.

If you hit the weight limit you saw "Your load is too heavy". If you hit the randomized object threshold you saw "You're holding too many things".

No one will read this.

^ Thanks for the explanation. I had a feeling that was the case but I've only ever run into the object weight thing trying to do something ridiculous like pick up a house.

StoneFox

The main thing I remember from playing Zork is that you can walk in a square and wouldn't end up at your starting point in some places. My brain...

PaulloDEC

See, the real dick move was in Return to Zork. There's a part very early in the game where you find this plant growing on a cliff. If you pick it instead of transplanting it, something you can't do or know you're supposed to do until WAY LATER, you permanently make your game unwinnable in a very late stage of the game.

Right? That one is straight-up sadistic, and I can't imagine what kind of monster put it in the game.

The Orz

The button-smash fight in Samurai Showdown is also randomized. Games have been lying to us for decades.

Though I find this one in particular hilariously clever. Who'd try to pick up an item again after being told there's no room?

No. No no no. I refuse to believe this. I was the master at the duel. I was...I...

...my life is a lie ;_;

low-G

A few years ago, I found myself with a bit of free time... and I had an idea. Speedruns were popular, so why not a speed run of the most ridiculous genre possible?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bLBy7gQPI

What made things fun was the number of random actions that could mess up a speedrun. (I kept footage of several partial runs...)

A few years later, the video suddenly began getting thousands of views due to Zork being included in Black Ops. YouTube sent me an email inviting me to monetize the video, but as I was using footage from the game, I didn't feel as though I could click the "I own all copyrights" button. Not sure how everyone else gets around that...

I've seen more text adventure speedrun recently, but I like to think I was somehow the forerunner...

Gonna need a TAS with buffered input.

Turns out no one who knows the Z-Machine really wants to spend hours poring over disassembly output from decades old Z-Machine games unless they absolutely have to.

So... if someone claims to have spent the weekend doing exactly that for fun, maybe not the best authority on the subject.

mclem

See, the real dick move was in Return to Zork. There's a part very early in the game where you find this plant growing on a cliff. If you pick it instead of transplanting it, something you can't do or know you're supposed to do until WAY LATER, you permanently make your game unwinnable in a very late stage of the game.

Basic adventure game practice: Always default to picking the least destructive option. That said, it's also generally good practice when designing an adventure to give some sort of warning in the description when you attempt the destructive option - not necessarily explicit, it can sometimes be subtly - which is much easier to do in text than graphics; I don't know how RTZ presented the issue, here.

mclem

Not directly related, but a followon from one of those twitter threads:

gbxkBon.png

I'm a huge fan of text adventures, if this is happening, I can't wait to see it. Not least to take a look at how Z-code was written before Inform came along!

Top Bottom