• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Account Linking Reversal

Fabieter

You are just making excuses for Sony here.

PC fans have been getting outraged for all types of stuff.

This was a big deal due to the community and getting shaft on by Sony. If this was day 1 shit, the outrage wouldn't have been his huge.

No I bring up league of legends because they changed something after 15 years which is significant so it's samey to this situation.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
hjgvontcw3e91.gif

Let this be a wake-up call for Sony users. They are charging you 9,99 for cloud saves and online multiplayer access, those are features you get free everywhere else except on consoles. Services that cost Sony [& MS] milli-cents per user. Do you want to remain an obedient slave or choose for yourself?

What makes you think they don’t like paying for features that are free on PC?

StereoVsn

The government doesn't store the info anywhere though. Neither does the company. It's uploaded, some AI verifies age, then it's deleted. The company isn't even allowed to store the data because of GDPR. Not sure why you think it will end up stored somewhere by the government, outside of some tinfoil hat stuff that is.
UK isn’t part of EU. GDPR doesn’t really apply anymore. And personally I wouldn’t trust Sony or whoever they hired with my biometric data or ID.

This is also not needed for creating MS account there or say Ubisoft one.

UK isn’t part of EU. GDPR doesn’t really apply anymore. And personally I wouldn’t trust Sony or whoever they hired with my biometric data or ID.

This is also not needed for creating MS account there or say Ubisoft one.

UK has their own form of GDPR which is pretty much identicle to the EU version now

Last edited:

XXL

If another company decides months after a game's launch that they just HAVE to make you sign into their shitty, over-priced eco-system, then I'm sure the reaction will be the same. And rightly so.

Also... not all of us mindlessly sign up to video game launchers and accounts, which seems to be the weird thing lots of people think is true around here.

The main issue was that they took money from many dozens of nations, and then was about to block access to them with this change. Sony's major problem is that their PSN accessible nations list is far smaller than even Nintendo's.

People are okay with not being able to buy something. But if you took their money and then retroactively try to take the product back after, people would get mad.
I agree with the PSN availability arguments and not telling people clearly prior to launch, 100%.

But launchers and separate accounts are quite present with games on PC and I find that part quite a bit hypocritical, tbh.

StereoVsn

UK has their own form of GDPR which is pretty much identicle to the EU version now
Yeah, they copied it but there are certain exceptions for sets collection by Gov there from what I remember.

It does suck for UK players though as that’s a tall order to provide info online like that to Sony or whoever is their 3rd party vendor (and other companies soon as well).

StereoVsn

All Sony games moving foward will require the PSN linking, i imagine only Helldivers 2 will be absent
I thought they explicitly stated that for Ghost of Tsushima PSN wouldn’t be required for SP, just for MP?

Personally I think Sony is crazy for cutting off a large chunk of their PC audience like that, but as long as it’s very clearly stated and required before people buy it, there won’t be the same shit storm.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Not really into Helldivers 2 but this account linking shit has been a wild ride. It's probably one of the dumbest things I've seen a corporation try, and the fact that Sony actively tried to torpedo one of the biggest success stories they've had in the last decade by pulling the game from sale in countries that didn't have PSN is baffling to say the least. Clown shoes ultra deluxe.

Bootlicker here: dissapointed. Hopefully they'll find a way to force extra control over the hackers/cheaters which are 100% PC, and likely most from all those countries that couldnt buy the game yesterday.

rofif

Banned
Haha fucking loser sony you sucks for even attempting this
PCMR we will unite and boycott their expensive single player titles from now onwards
Wow thank god I am no longer pcmr toxic looser :p
I can actually enjoy games :p

Good outcome for gamers. I still don't think it was worth some of the unhinged behavior we witnessed though.

Threatening devs and telling them to kill themselves over a videogame decision that wasn't theirs is loser behavior and never right under any circumstance. This is the kind of unhinged shit that makes people not want to be associated with gamers sometimes.

People need to learn how to voice their complaints about games in a calm and reasonable manner without resorting to fuckery like this....

GM4CSnfWIAAwxA7

GM4CSnZWUAAs7Vq

Last edited:
Good, even though I have a PSN account, I bought the game on PC and already have shitty DRM that they put in the game. Don't build more walls for us to have to fuck around with.

Three

PC fans have been getting outraged for all types of stuff.

This was a big deal due to the community and getting shaft on by Sony. If this was day 1 shit, the outrage wouldn't have been his huge.
I find this 'if it was day 1' thing to be nonsense and if anybody is being completely honest they can see it too if they look at data. Not only because it was at least visible from day 1, but because there are several games where an account was added retroactively without this visibility and didn’t get outrage anywhere close to this.

Take Rocket League for instance.

Screenshot-20240506-120445-Chrome.jpg

It added an Epic account in September 2020. Still mostly positive reviews in that period. The only time where negative reviews outpaced positive was when Epic bought the devs and hadn't even changed the game yet (the *) . Let that sink in for a minute, the review score was influenced more by Epic owning the dev than when Epic requested Epic accounts a year later (some were review bombing that too but overall reviews were 'mostly positive', not negative, not even mixed)

UK isn’t part of EU. GDPR doesn’t really apply anymore.
it does:

Last edited:
Good outcome for gamers. I still don't think it was worth some of the unhinged behavior we witnessed though.

Threatening devs and telling them to kill themselves over a videogame decision that wasn't theirs is loser behavior and never right. this is the kind of unhinged shit that makes people not want to be associated with gamers sometimes.

People need to learn how to voice their complaints about games in a calm and convincing manner without resorting to fuckery like this....

GM4CSnfWIAAwxA7

GM4CSnZWUAAs7Vq

Receipts of the threats or it's just another cry bait. Every CM has done this shitty tactic when theres negative press.

Buggy Loop

and now you will see that narrative going on in social media. Sony had a lose-lose scenario with this one

They will look even worse. They pay for online, they pay more for games. They look like docile and obedient dogs... not a good look at all.

nah. (it's different)

because is open.

PC gamers love to pay for trash tho. early access is one of the worse PC practices, which have ended up in projects that never see the light of day/scam players.

there is a reason why GTAVI is goingPlace to be released on consoles first.

The irony is that console gaming offers the premium experience, a place where you don't deal with PC bullshit, and everything is bespoke-built. However, for this to work, a walled garden is needed

is crazy/funny to see how PC gamers are using that platform to "Console warring".

quiet tim and eric GIF

Boss Mog

Sony shouldn't have backed down so easily. In a week or two it would've been forgotten, people would've moved on to bitching about something else.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Sure, but not "all Sony games" will require accounts. That doesn't make any sense.
Oh, yeah, I don’t think they will enforce it for single player games. They’ll make it optional for trophies and cross-progress like Microsoft.

But man, those suits must be pissed. They caught lightning in a bottle with Helldivers II and wish they could add it to their MAUs numbers. There’s no telling when they’ll publish such another multiplayer hit. These are hard to come by.

Fabieter

This is proof that gamers need to do this more often, i'm not even a fan of the game, but as a PC only gamer, i'm glad Steam owners of the game achieved this u turn by Sony, companies only care about making money not gamers, good job Steam.

Would love if this energy would go outside of the gaming community.

People should look it up what governments do with the WHO rn and we knew that for months and its still happening.

Top Bottom