• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

WillyFive

1259300-box.jpg
1257967-sto.png

INCOMING TRANSMISSION FROM SIR FRAGULA:

What Is It?

Cryptic’s latest foray into the MMO genre invites players on a casual-friendly tour of the galaxy. Players can explore strange new worlds, meet new life and new civilizations… and run errands for them. From the security of Earth Spacedock to the monasteries of P’Jem; the halls of Q'onoS to rubble of Romulous, players can immerse themselves in myriad iconic locations from 28 series and eleven movies of television goodness.

Starting as the captain of a Federation starship, players will engage in tense space combat, dangerous away missions and hours of dancing the robot on Commander Sulu’s desk. Take part in fleet battles with tens to hundreds of ships, bring a gun to a Gorn fight, fight Borg armadas in a Runabout… there’s a universe of content to explore.​

Who Made It?

Cryptic Studios, veterans of City of Heroes and Champions Online.
Visit their website here: http://startrekonline.com

Why Should I Buy It?

You like space combat? You like Star Trek’s space combat? Star Trek Online’s space component is the lovechild hybrid of Starfleet Command’s tactical gameplay, with the accessibility of Star Trek: Legacy. Players must pay attention to shield facings, weapon arcs, energy vs ballistic damage, buffs, de-buffs and ship power levels, while flying thousands of tonnes of starship at insane speeds.

Ground combat – while not as notable as the stellar variety – offers a welcome change in pace to players who have grown accustomed to planetary rings or stellar nebula in the stead of mountain forests or rolling deserts.

Quest lines are varied, with rescue missions, fleet assaults and starbase defense, exploration of uncharted systems and infrequent diplomatic ventures available. Also available to players who’ve reached level 6 are Klingon faction characters, where the emphasis shifts to player versus player combat, both against the Federation and other Klingon houses.​

How Much Do You Want For It?

Retail release available in all regions priced PC-competitive, coming with installation DVD and 1 month of playtime. Subscriptions have been priced as per the chart below.

Pricing.png

Also available is the lifetime subscription complete with Borg species options and two additional character slots weighing in at US$239.99 available only to pre-orders until 01/02/10. Furthermore those who’ve pre-ordered can purchase a 12 month subscription for just US$119.99 giving two additional character slots.

Will It Be Supported?

The Star Trek universe is rich in lore and the Star Trek Online galaxy has much room for growth. Much of the Federation’s Alpha Quadrant holdings, the Tzenkethi, Ferengi Alliance, Breen Confederacy and of course the Gamma and Delta Quadrants are currently available for future expansion. Cryptic studios have strongly hinted to the addition of a Romulan faction choice, and their website interface also suggests Cardassian options for the future.

Map.png

Expanded intra-ship options, including Ten Forward and the Ready Room are to be expected, and level cap raising expansions have been revealed. It remains to be seen whether the developer’s commitment to providing new and exciting quest lines - both combat and diplomacy – will be maintained, but given the popularity of the franchise the odds seem favorable.​

Where's Sulu?

In the Admiral's office. Go say hellloooo.​

TRANSMISSION END. SPECIAL THANKS FOR SIR FRAGULA.

kobayashi_0_brighter.gif

1258665-photoalbumsto.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
boourns.. can't get back in now... where do I cancel my god damn lifetime sub..... fuck this fucking game. I'm fucking leaving. AND NO YOU CAN'T HAVE MY SHIP!

Chris_C

Lol, I can't even log in at the moment. Forums are down, this game is DOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Yay, official thread!

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Authentication servers down!
What a shame, got my fingers itching to create a freaky alien with mad Kung-fu skills.

Any plans for a Gaf Fleet?

TheExodu5

Banned
I know I would so regret it if I got the lifetime sub. :lol

I'm holding strong. Got the CE from GameStop preordered. The only thing that makes me sad is that I won't have the KHAAAAAN emote. :(

Neckbeard69 said:
Authentication servers down!
What a shame, got my fingers itching to create a freaky alien with mad Kung-fu skills.

Any plans for a Gaf Fleet?
Gafleet will probably be up once we can get a lifetime sub to start it.

borghe

TheExodu5 said:
I know I would so regret it if I got the lifetime sub. :lol

I'm holding strong. Got the CE from GameStop preordered. The only thing that makes me sad is that I won't have the KHAAAAAN emote. :(
eh.... CE and DDE are a small price to pay to have all three uniform sets and the KHHAAANNN emote.

as for lifetime, I said this in one of the "you lifers think you are so cool, you are losers" threads on the forums.. basically $240 is steep BUT to NEVER have to worry about subbing, unsubbing, hopping in or out of the game as I please is a small price to pay. And as for the longevity of it, out of dozens and dozens of AAA MMORPGs, the ONLY 4 to ever shutdown were: Matrix, AC2, SimsOnline, Hellgate London (not really an MMO).. even SWG is still around for crying out loud, and if an IP can propr a game up after TWO major engine changes, I have very little fear of STO going anywhere.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Okay guys, think I might have to rollback my Nvidia drivers to get better performance. Any idea on how I'm supposed to do that? I have nTune and the control panel installed as well, do i need to get rid of those?

borghe

TheExodu5 said:
That's $60 for just a uniform and KHAAAN emote. :(
yeah, but IF neither are offered in the c-store, that's going to suck to go the rest of the time without... my guess is, they'll be offered in the c-store... but.........

TheExodu5

Banned
borghe said:
yeah, but IF neither are offered in the c-store, that's going to suck to go the rest of the time without... my guess is, they'll be offered in the c-store... but.........

My thinking is:

If I'm hardcore enough to buy an emote and uniform for $60, then I'm hardcore enough to buy the lifetime sub. So basically, the emote and uniform would cost me over $300.

BobLoblaw said:
Where the fuck is my Borg? :(

Messed up, I claimed the borg on a character in my account, it then froze and wouldnt let me do anything, then the whole thing crashed and I cant get back on. Also the Khan outfit wasnt there to be claimed either so thats fudged too.

borghe

TheExodu5 said:
My thinking is:

If I'm hardcore enough to buy an emote and uniform for $60, then I'm hardcore enough to buy the lifetime sub. So basically, the emote and uniform would cost me over $300.
did I say you were REALLY talking to the wrong guy about this???? ;)

sigh..... :p

IMHO lifetime sub is an easy sell.. I admit the second CE is a much harder sell... if you HAD TO choose one, I would go with the lifetime sub. The borg probably won't be available for an exclusive period of time on c-store anyway, and you get $60 off the price of the sub not to mention a hassle free lifetime sub. The DDE items will "probably"(TM) be available on c-store not too far after launch (months?)

DustoMan

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
That's $60 for just a uniform and KHAAAN emote. :(

Digital Deluxe Edition

The Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Edition offers such bonuses as five exclusive in-game items as well as the ability to play as a “Joined Trill” – a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The five exclusive in-game items include:

* Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).
* Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
* Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.
* Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.
* Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

borghe

DustoMan said:
Digital Deluxe Edition

The Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Edition offers such bonuses as five exclusive in-game items as well as the ability to play as a “Joined Trill” – a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The five exclusive in-game items include:

* Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).
* Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
* Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.
* Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.
* Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.
right, he's saying all he cares about are the uniforms and emote.. though I agree the Joined Trill is also a great reason to grab the DDE.

TheExodu5 said:
Would I get the extra 30 days of sub from getting the DDE? If I got 60 days in total then I'd be tempted.

Yup you would, every edition you use on your account adds another 30 days

Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

I need this for my cruiser. But probably it will be a very weak weapon that it will be only useful in the initial light cruiser.

borghe

TheExodu5 said:
Would I get the extra 30 days of sub from getting the DDE? If I got 60 days in total then I'd be tempted.
yeah, that was one of cryptics selling points for pre-ordering multiple copies (lol)... every CD key you enter for the extra stuff adds 30 days consecutively onto your subscription.

kind of sucks that you have to do the lifetime sub BEFORE the game starts to get the borg... thus if you have two copies (like me) I basically get 0 days of "free" playtime... oh well.

DangerousDave said:
I need this for my cruiser. But probably it will be a very weak weapon that it will be only useful in the initial light cruiser.

Im assuming that means all your weapons can fire 360 degree's which could be handy on any ship in a close quarters fight, or is it like a turret?

Feeroper

Im already a lifer and pre ordered the DE though EB games, but I must admit the Digital version is rather tempting for the perks.

Does anyone know if there is a cut off date for entering the codes provided for the DDE? I assume the DDE is available via Steam?

borghe said:
so is anyone able to get in past the launchers "Unable to authenticate:"?

Nope, im guessing thats the end of headstart for the rest of today, love the fact they took the official forums down as well so no one could moan.

Divvy

Divvy said:
Okay guys, think I might have to rollback my Nvidia drivers to get better performance. Any idea on how I'm supposed to do that? I have nTune and the control panel installed as well, do i need to get rid of those?

Anyone?

Chris_C

Crap. Steam is "updating Star Trek Online", and now it's totally unresponsive. I'm worried that ctrl+alt+del will corrupt the client.

DustoMan

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Messed up, I claimed the borg on a character in my account, it then froze and wouldnt let me do anything, then the whole thing crashed and I cant get back on. Also the Khan outfit wasnt there to be claimed either so thats fudged too.

Some of the bonus items aren't going to show up until the official launch and they can be applied to your character retroactively. The Trill Symbiote is defiantly one that can't be. I can't remember about the others.

JWong

Banned
Chris_C said:
Crap. Steam is "updating Star Trek Online", and now it's totally unresponsive. I'm worried that ctrl+alt+del will corrupt the client.
Yeah... I think Steam is forcing reupdate of the entire client.

I'm at max download sticking in 1% for quite a while.

TwIsTeD

so up in the air about this game, ill be there for early access but might hold off a few months and see how everyone is liking it....im not trying to get burned again :lol

syoaran

yup same... Was in the game a second ago, crashed as I was finishing my tutorial - bam now ive got to re-download the entire client...............

DustoMan said:
Some of the bonus items aren't going to show up until the official launch and they can be applied to your character retroactively. The Trill Symbiote is defiantly one that can't be. I can't remember about the others.

Yes but it was confirmed numerous times that the borg would be there for launch.

There's an update on the official forum anyway, you have to make a character then go to the c-store and claim the borg, it may take a long time as there is a lot of demand for them on the server at the moment.

Xabora

If you downloaded it from steam. MOVE THE CLIENT OUT OF THE STEAM SUBFOLDER!

Then run the patcher.
Otherwise you'll have steam farkery.

Won

StUnNeR H2K said:
How do you access the channel? I never messed with it during beta.

/join Neogaf shoud be enough.

If not you right click next to your chat tabs -> go to channels and there you can type in the channel name.

Decided to make an Engineer character after rolling with tac in the beta. Hope that's a good decision for space.

Now to find that Sulu guy.......

Chris_C

JWong said:
Yeah... I think Steam is forcing reupdate of the entire client.

I'm at max download sticking in 1% for quite a while.

That's odd. I'm definitely not re-downloading the entire client. Steam told me I'd be able to play in 7hours, but then 15 minutes later and now it says 4 hours, and the number keeps falling. It took me 4 days to download the original client (slow connection and daily bandwidth caps).

Obviously it's updating something but it can't be re-downloading. I know I was up to the latest patch as well, I downloaded the 58MB file yesterday.

Divvy

ARRRRGHHH why is it redownloading the client!?? I was playing it fine before i rebooted my computer!

Oh well, it's only a 1 hour download.

JWong

Banned
Salmonax said:
If you change your location you can often have better results. If my connection's slow I usually switch to Chicago.
Nah, I have a 6mbit dl. 5 hours is at my max dl rate.

Top Bottom