• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hype/News/Info Thread (PC Dedicated Servers)

kuYuri

IcqJEl.jpg

Visit the new official thread here! This post no longer updated!

Purpose of thread is to have one place to post new info and discuss anything related to Modern Warfare 3 and any other CoD related services (CoD Elite, etc.) Found new big news? Go ahead and make a new thread, but also post it here if it hasn't been posted before. With the big Kotaku leak a few months ago, please avoid posting story/plot spoilers and if you do, label them appropriately. Details are still subject to change, as the game is still in development.

Warning: Don't be a troll. Don't bring up Battlefield 3 here or risk a ban. There's a garbage thread for that:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28018292&postcount=401
Nirolak said:
Alright, we've moving all Modern Warfare 3 versus Battlefield 3 debate here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431149

This will be enforced.

Websites
http://www.callofduty.com/mw3
http://www.callofduty.com/elite
http://sledgehammergames.com/
http://oneofswords.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo
http://twitter.com/#!/GlenSchofield
http://www.youtube.com/callofduty

Want to view the Kotaku article with lots of leaks? Go here (contains spoilers): http://kotaku.com/5801226/the-moder...ive-first-details-on-the-biggest-game-of-2011

Game Information

Developer | Infinity Ward & Sledgehammer Games (PC, PS3, 360), Treyarch Studios (Wii version), n-Space (DS version) Beachhead Studios (Call of Duty Elite)
Platforms | Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Windows PC, Wii, DS
Release Dates | NA: November 8, 2011 for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. Wii and DS version unknown.

Latest News
- Weapon Progression Behind the Scenes Video
- Modern Warfare 3 PC info, including minimum system requirements
- Strike Packages Behind the Scenes Video
- "Iron Lady" Campaign Level Preview
- Gametop "Pick Your Perks" Sweepstakes
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Redemption Single Player Trailer
- Earn Double XP with Mountain Dew and Doritos promotion
- Everything multiplayer revealed at CoD XP is here
- PC Dedicated Servers now confirmed

What's Known So Far
- Will continue to run at or around 60FPS on console.
- Game engine ("Modern Warfare 3 Engine" AKA IW5 engine) has been mostly improved in the texture streaming area for larger scale levels, etc.
- Improvements to audio to improve situational awareness (bullet's flying by, etc.).
- Dive-To-Prone not returning.
- MW3 will feature built-in support for color-blind players and controller configurations for disabled players.
- Will be as similar as possible across all versions (PC, PS3, 360).
- Dedicated servers is now confirmed to be in PC version.
- Two player splitscreen online included for PS3/360 version.

Single Player Campaign
- Campaign continues the story of MW2, showing a World War III scenario in which major countries are involved.
- Campaign will span many hotspots in the world, including New York City, London, Paris, Berlin, Mogadishu, Moscow, and more.
- New characters Derek "Frost" Westbrook (playable) and Sandman are introduced, who are part of Delta Force. Also revealed was Marcus Burns of the British SAS. John Price and John "Soap" MacTavish have both been confirmed as returning characters, as well as the return of the villain Vladimir Makarov.

Specs Ops
- Spec Ops returns with new features. These include a new progressive ranking system separate from multiplayer rank. As rank goes up, new weapons, attachments, equipment, etc. are also unlocked.
- Other big addition is Spec Ops Survival, a wave-based mode similar to Horde mode from Gears of War series. Infinite waves of enemies spawn that gets progressively more difficult. Currency system is used to buy new weapons, attachments, and even killstreaks to continue the fight. Will be playable on all multiplayer maps.
- Addition of matchmaking and leaderboards.
- 1-2 player mode, which can be played solo, locally via split-screen, or online with a friend or random person.

Multiplayer
- List of MW3 weapons, perks, and lots of other information here.
- Focus on gun-on-gun action.
- Recoil for most weapons is more significant compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- Explosive damage has been toned down compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- Knife melee has been balanced and tweaked (read: nerfed) to be more of a last-ditch attack or for unsuspecting enemies.
- New Pointstreak/Strike Package system replaces Killstreak system of past CoD games.
- Maps in general are being designed with less verticality compared to Modern Warfare 2, less places to hide in maps, reduced line of sights, which leads to more defined hotspots/killzones.
- New game modes Kill Confirmed and Team Defender have been confirmed.
- Quickscoping is in.
- Tweaks and changes to XP, match bonus, challenges, etc. to increase rewards for players who play the objective in objective game modes.
- Post-launch updates is being handled similar to Black Ops with more hotfixes for quicker fixing of glitches, etc.
- Post-launch support is even more important and will be a bigger focus.
- Will have full integration with Call of Duty Elite at launch.

Call of Duty Elite and What's Included

- Price is $49.99/year
- One year is included with the MW3 Hardened Edition

Videos
America Teaser
England Teaser
France Teaser
Germany Teaser
Reveal Trailer (60FPS Reveal Trailer)
Hunter Killer E3 2011 Gameplay (CAM) (60FPS Hunter Killer E3 2011 Gameplay)
Black Tuesday E3 2011 Gameplay
Spec Ops Survival Mode Trailer (60FPS Spec Ops Survival Mode Trailer)
Call of Duty Elite: The LegendofKarl Trailer
Call of Duty Elite: Metaphorically Speaking Trailer
Call of Duty Elite Feature Walkthrough
Multiplayer Worldwide Premiere
Tango Down Multiplayer Trailer
Find Makarov
Find Makarov: Operation Kingfish
Call of Duty XP Multiplayer Briefing - Full Length (Part 1/Part 2/Part 3/ Part 4)
Redemption Single Player Trailer (60FPS Redemption Single Player Trailer)
Strike Packages Behind the Scenes Video
Weapon Progression Behind the Scenes Video
Elite Behind the Scenes - Compete
Elite Behind the Scenes - Improve
Launch Trailer (60FPS Launch Trailer)

Screenshots
Modern Warfare 3
cod_mw3_5.jpg

cod_mw3_4.jpg

image_call_of_duty_modern_warfare_3-15752-2290_0002.jpg

image_call_of_duty_modern_warfare_3-15752-2290_0001.jpg

image_call_of_duty_modern_warfare_3-15752-2290_0003.jpg

lt8rZ.jpg

kv5mS.jpg

rwUIf.jpg

screenshot_267998.jpg

screenshot_267997.jpg

z2yP8.jpg

2Tbma.jpg

3tnaj.jpg

YHlK4.jpg

uZhjq.jpg

BUsSU.jpg

Call of Duty Elite
image_call_of_duty_modern_warfare_3-15801-2290_0002.jpg

image_call_of_duty_modern_warfare_3-15801-2290_0003.jpg

c0XyD.jpg

Effect

crimzonflame said:
When is the reveal?
Call of Duty XP is Sept 2nd and Sept 3rd.

Edit: Somewhat off topic but CoD releated. The version of CoD4:MW on Steam. Does anyone know what version this is? The Game of the Year edition with all the maps or the original game with nothing extra?

JackEtc

At this point, I've been looking forward to BF3 more (not being a troll, just saying), but I'm definitely be looking forward to what comes out of CoD XP. Interested in what Infinity Ward can bring to the table this year. I'm happy with what I've heard so far, and If I have the money I'll probably be getting it.

As someone who has enjoyed the CoD series since CoD4 but who hated MW2 I am glad to hear about the direction that the game is going in terms of multiplayer. Personally I thought Black Ops was a step in the right direction and it sounds like the trend will continue with MW3. Either way, it's going to take some serious convincing this year for me to pick up yet another CoD.

I particularly like these:

- Focus going back to gun-on-gun action.
- Removed perks include Stopping Power, One Man Army, Commando, Last Stand, Danger Close also likely.
- It has been reported that recoil for weapons is more significant compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- Explosive damage has been toned down compared to past Modern Warfare games.
- Knife melee has been balanced and tweaked (read: nerfed) to be more of a last-ditch attack or for unsuspecting enemies.
- Killstreak reward system has been "completely revamped." Meant to "support and encourage you to be a better player, not supplement you being a better player."
- Tweaks and changes to XP, match bonus, challenges, etc. to increase rewards for players who play the objective in objective game modes.
I'm sad to hear that quickscoping is in the game, though.

Neuromancer said:
Thank god quick scoping is still in. That's how I pwn all the n00bs! Plus it's realistic.

For real! I cant wait until I see the cool stuff that comes from this, like me trying to cap a domination point by myself as my teammates jump out of windows spinning around with their sniper rifles. YEAH!!

kuYuri

Effect said:

Edit: Somewhat off topic but CoD releated. The version of CoD4:MW on Steam. Does anyone know what version this is? The Game of the Year edition with all the maps or the original game with nothing extra?

It should be the GotY edition, although all the maps are free anyway with patch 1.6 (Steam version should be automatically patched to 1.7).

Loxley

Effect said:

To my knowledge the only thing the PC version of CoD4 has that the console versions don't is "Winter Crash", which is basically a goofy Christmas'd-up version of Crash.

Call Of Duty is like the NFL season.. it comes around once a year and I can't wait! its stupid fun with friends on the weekend!

bring. it. on.

Reading this feature list made me believe that they really nailed what the players were complaining about.

So was Black Ops.

So I fear a pretty similar mess than Black Ops : while kill streak are fixed, others things, bugs and glitch will appear.

knitoe

It's to bad they didn't fix OMA instead of removing it. I like the ability to use different perks depending on the situation. Now, I'll probably run around with totally stealth, like Black Ops, which limits my play style.

kuYuri

I will continue to update the relevant MP info.

JackEtc said:
At this point, I've been looking forward to BF3 more (not being a troll, just saying), but I'm definitely be looking forward to what comes out of CoD XP. Interested in what Infinity Ward can bring to the table this year. I'm happy with what I've heard so far, and If I have the money I'll probably be getting it.

It's fine to have a preference for BF3, at least you're doing it the right way in this post. It becomes a problem when it's all "duuuurrrrr, BF3 will shit on MW3!"

UnluckyKate said:
Reading this feature list made me believe that they really nailed what the players were complaining about.

So was Black Ops.

So I fear a pretty similar mess than Black Ops : while kill streak are fixed, others things, bugs and glitch will appear.

Major glitches are fixed all the time in Black Ops.

Effect

UnluckyKate said:

So was Black Ops.

I played Black Ops a few times over the past few weeks and I didn't experience any bugs or glitches. I think Treyarch did a good job of improving on the uncontrolled chaos of MW2.

Deadbeat

Banned
Loxley said:
To my knowledge the only thing the PC version of CoD4 has that the console versions don't is "Winter Crash", which is basically a goofy Christmas'd-up version of Crash.
Santa airdrops bombs on everyone. Hes an asshole.

Sethos

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
This post. It makes no sense.

Worded it wrong, meant as in I won't be buying it, not as in "Last, I will be buying it and then NO MORE!!1"

Black Ops was the last Call of Duty for me.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I played Black Ops a few times over the past few weeks and I didn't experience any bugs or glitches. I think Treyarch did a good job of improving on the uncontrolled chaos of MW2.

MW2 was really uncontrolled. It was like the players were running the show. I have never seen a developer lose control of a game before.

It was such a crazy feeling, and one I did not like.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Can't wait. Thinking MW3 is gonna bring it back...or at least be awesome for a month then go to hell. Either way, it's a race to 10th Prestige.

On the multiplayer side, surprisingly, they're saying all the right things.

- Focus going back to gun-on-gun action. yes
- Removed perks include Stopping Power, One Man Army, Commando, Last Stand, Danger Close also likely. amazing
- Nuke killstreak removed. obvious
- Due to removal of Stopping Power, weapons damage has been overall increased compared to past Modern Warfare games. I dont think thats needed but we'll see how big the damage buff is
- It has been reported that recoil for weapons is more significant compared to past Modern Warfare games. Cool but i hope its not like BLOPS where if i get shot my accuracy goes down 90%
- Explosive damage has been toned down compared to past Modern Warfare games. great
- Knife melee has been balanced and tweaked (read: nerfed) to be more of a last-ditch attack or for unsuspecting enemies. finally
- Killstreak reward system has been "completely revamped." Meant to "support and encourage you to be a better player, not supplement you being a better player." Thank You Based God
- Maps in general are being designed with less verticality compared to Modern Warfare 2, less places to hide in maps, reduced line of sights, which leads to more defined hotspots/killzones. fantastic

Home

Looking pretty good I must say. I'm excited for the new spec ops, played a bunch of it with friends in MW2. Not worried about quickscoping since I'm a PC player. And I don't really understand the removal of the nuke killstreak, it was pretty rare and fun when it did happen.

Liquidsnake said:
MW2 was really uncontrolled. It was like the players were running the show. I have never seen a developer lose control of a game before.

It was such a crazy feeling, and one I did not like.
Yeah well at the time the developers were losing control of a lot more than just the game, unfortunately.

Quickscoping's back? Eh, considering MW2's problems, and that they've removed virtually all of them, I can deal with it. I just want to know how everything fucking works in MP now.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah well at the time the developers were losing control of a lot more than just the game, unfortunately.

Yeah that's true. With all that said I have already pre ordered MW3.

Home said:
Looking pretty good I must say. I'm excited for the new spec ops, played a bunch of it with friends in MW2. Not worried about quickscoping since I'm a PC player. And I don't really understand the removal of the nuke killstreak, it was pretty rare and fun when it did happen.
The nuke encouraged camping like nothing before it, and considering all of the other crap in MW2 that's really saying something.

zlatko

Banned
I have no plans right now on purchasing this game thanks to some other things coming out this year, but I never write CoD off. I'm still hopeful that maybe MW3 can capture the magic that CoD4 had.

I'm still super surprised they are waiting this long to do a MP reveal. Makes me a bit worried they don't have much new to show, but if they want a day one buy from me this year it will come down to announcing dedicated servers for console version as well. There's no reason the biggest game in the industry can't offer the best online experience when smaller franchises do it.

Step your shit up Call of Duty.

More recoil on guns is bullshit. People complained about the laser accuracy of assault rifles in MW2, but it just helped separate the lousy players from the good players. You shoot where you aim, nothing more. That dude 100 yards away? You better have him directly in your sights and not let recoil help you out with a few free hits.

If I'm aiming at someone's head, I should get a headshot. When someone is aiming at my torso and recoil forces their shots upwards for a headshot, that's bullshit. Clearly I was punished for aiming better.

kuYuri

Mr. Snrub said:
Weren't there some changes geared towards teamplay that were talked about by one of the devs?
All I'm aware of is that they will reward objective players better with increased (?) XP, new challenges geared toward them, etc. I don't know anything beyond that, we really won't know alot of the details of how things work until at least CoD XP.

I'd dig around for what the dev said, but I'm not home right now.

DaNcaKe

MW2 alienated me after previously playing every CoD on consoles. Added to this were the ridiculous amount of modders on the 360 and I was off that game fairly quickly.

Whilst I'm still not going to get this day one, the information leaked looks promising. More recoil was essential after some of the guns that appeared in MW2/BO.

Angry Fork

Honestly, I have to say even though I hate Activision with a passion, I miss COD and want to come back to it so I'm interested in this (if I did get it I'd buy used or something). I LOOOOVED COD4 multiplayer so much, but I hated the changes with MW2, way too much extra shit. Tons of noob tube bullshit, encouraged casuals etc. even more so than COD4.

Basically my most hated thing about COD4 is noob tubes/rockets and cheap shit like that in general where you pick 1 set of weapons and you rule the game no matter what. I hate this so much and it's a deal breaker for me. Can anyone tell me what Blops did to handle this and if you think MW3 will be the same way? Another thing is I love sniping and that was my main thing in COD4. I used Sniper + Pistol as my secondary in all levels and it was awesome. Can you do this in the current CODs or is it catered to the assault gunners?

Top Bottom