• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hype/News/Info Thread (PC Dedicated Servers)

Untracked

celestial body said:
Also in the killfeed I think there is a mistake as it shows an ac-130 kill as opposed to what looks like the new claymore...
Could the thing that explodes be a small package dropped by the AC-130?
Is that too far fetched?

Quite excited here, it looks great.

Off to play some MW2, almost at 40 days played!

Do you think maybe they put in a point system for killstreaks, meaning you retain the points if you die, but, the points for big killstreaks will be very high like 20, so you can only get a big killstreak maybe once a match if anything?

So say you get like 20 points(20 kills) in a game, 20 points is a Pavelow but say you want to use your UAV streak, it takes away and you only have 17 in your pool. So if you use your pavelow, you have to get more points to use other killstreaks.

Dont mind me, just rambling.

Miggytronz

Lionheart1827 said:
Do you think maybe they put in a point system for killstreaks, meaning you retain the points if you die, but, the points for big killstreaks will be very high like 20, so you can only get a big killstreak maybe once a match if anything?

So say you get like 20 points(20 kills) in a game, 20 points is a Pavelow but say you want to use your UAV streak, it takes away and you only have 17 in your pool. So if you use your pavelow, you have to get more points to use other killstreaks.

Dont mind me, just rambling.

use a kill streak revert back to 0

I can see why people would like this trailer but I just can't buy the same damn game again. Three times was enough, won't do it four times.

FJ0372

So hyped for this game, MW2 is my favorite of the series. Hope this new infinity ward allows the crazy fun of MW2.

I'm sure the campaign will be terrible as usual but the multiplayer should be addictive as usual.

I like the look of the map on the HUD, sort of a top down 3D look, I can't wait for the reveal.

KaiserBecks

Yeah, right. Everything has been fixed and it's completely balanced now. Like we haven't heard that before. I'm going to buy this at least 3 months after launch, if people are still excited at that point. Not falling for their PR bullshit again after Modern Warfare 2.

NullPointer said:
COD4 had dogs in campaign. Don't remember them in MW2 at all though. Maybe in the second stealth area, in the snow.

Dogs were in MW2. I remember them from the stage where you are chasing that guy down and have to shoot him in the leg, i think it was right before the Favela portion of the campaign.

Jibbed

I'm a little confused by something guys... who's making what in MW3?

Last time I heard, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, and Raven were all contributing to the game. Is it set into categories like for example, IW doing campaign, SH doing multi etc?

I am confuz.

-htownplaya- said:
I can see why people would like this trailer but I just can't buy the same damn game again. Three times was enough, won't do it four times.

honest question:

how do you feel about Zelda?

Stantron

TacticalFox88 said:
Now, I want to see the perks. Please for the love of god, where are the perks!
We probably won't get any additional info on MP until the XP event.

Regarding killstreaks, I like the speculation of kills counting as 1 and objectives counting as 2. It looks like it keeps track of how many killstreak points you've accumulated in the bottom right corner. Maybe it will allow you to use those points any way you choose. Like maybe being able to throw up multiple UAVs in the same life if you have enough points.

Also, I hope those armory icons can be turned off. There is no need to have three big red icons constantly showing on screen. Once you learn the map, you don't need that.

BattleMonkey said:
Pretty shitty comparison, at least the Zelda games add in all kinds of new gameplay mechanics, change up their visuals, etc.

its all the same shit.

I happen to love both, I just don't get people that claim its the same game over and over. the same can be said for gears of war.

Edit: or Pokemon

JetBlackPanda said:
its all the same shit.

I happen to love both, I just don't get people that claim its the same game over and over. the same can be said for gears of war.

Nah brah,cod is literally the same game and look. Even the hud doesn't look that much different. Also zelda,gears,etc doesn't come out nearly as often.

JetBlackPanda said:
its all the same shit.

It does come out every year though, Zelda has like 5 years between an iteration, Gears has 3, it's expected people will shit on COD more for it. And you can also factor in the length and quality of the campaigns.

I like both series too btw.

Bring on the damn juggernauts. My favorite spec ops from MW2 is still "high-explosive" where u have to take out like 10 of them using only explosives. This looks awesome.

It does come out too often.

That said, CoD has really only been recycling the same formula since 2007.

Zelda has been recycling the same formula since 1998!

BTW, does anybody know when us pleebs will be able to pre-order the damn Hardened edition?

Kibbles

Eh, is this going to have a zombie mode? I don't really care for Spec Ops, the thing that made Zombies fun is that it did feel like something different compared to the rest of the game. It plays differently than the Campaign and MP.

JetBlackPanda said:
Brah? wtf?

anyways I will give you that it comes out way to often.

Well come on, you can look at the footage of the game and it looks identical to the last one. You can't say that for a zelda title, and each zelda adds new obvious gameplay changes and features, along with having more time between releases. Recycling formula with Zelda? To a degree of course, but not the same thing at all. Pokemon is a better comparison

Mik2121

Syphon Filter said:
Nah brah,cod is literally the same game and look. Even the hud doesn't look that much different. Also zelda,gears,etc doesn't come out nearly as often.
Sounds to me like you've never played a COD. If you think they are exactly the same... you're either blind, on drugs, or just talking about something you don't know about :)

MW2, Blops and MW3 look as much as each other as the Gears, Pokemon or Uncharted series.

The issue I had with the BLOPS maps was the lack of verticallity. Verticallity is a key ingredient to ANY mp fps game and the best way to add variety and spice up maps. It takes talent to implement, but that's the point. Treyarch simply doesn't have the creative drive or talent to put 3 floor in a space, but insisted on having 2 on every...single...map and it made every single map play feel like each other.

Also, not to put fuel on the fire, but there were more changes made to MW2 compared to COD4 than Twilight Princess to OOT. The amount of time between 1 game and it's sequel has nothing to do with anything. It's all about mentality. It's all about experimentation. And, in terms of gameplay, turning something non cartoony to cartoony without changing much of anything else means nothing.
The Treyarch games on the other hand...(and possibly mw3)...well, yeah. My hopes are not up. This very well might be the first IW COD that brings nothing new to the table, like a Zelda game but coming out sooner and thus unable to disguise the lack of experimentation and creativity with half glass full but-it-looks-different fanbase memory.

So.. at 4 "points" or whatever he gets that fugly ass explosive device. What is that? Is it something real? Looks like it would be incredibly easy to spot and avoid.

And JUGGERNAUT streak award! **** yes. Going to be amazing. And you can finally skip one streak award to activate another.

Some of you guys are ridiculous. The last COD game came out in 2009, two years ago. The one before that was released in 2007. If one game every two years is too much for you, I sure hope you bitch equally about the Uncharted or Halo series.

You know I hate late fall & winter but now I say bring it on. Winter for the ages gaming wise. Glad I purchased the new recliners. =D

Jack Scofield said:
Some of you guys are ridiculous. The last COD game came out in 2009, two years ago. The one before that was released in 2007. If one game every two years is too much for you, I sure hope you bitch equally about the Uncharted or Halo series.
You don't count the Treyarch games or something?

Jibbed said:
I'm a little confused by something guys... who's making what in MW3?

Last time I heard, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, and Raven were all contributing to the game. Is it set into categories like for example, IW doing campaign, SH doing multi etc?

I am confuz.
They're making the game together without assigning specific parts to IW or SH, they just fly the people they need from one team to the other since they're relatively close.
Link to the interview with Schofield btw i don't think Raven has anything to do with MW3.

Mik2121

Mr. B Natural said:
The issue I had with the BLOPS maps was the lack of verticallity. Verticallity is a key ingredient to ANY mp fps game and the best way to add variety and spice up maps. It takes talent to implement, but that's the point.

Also, not to put fuel on the fire, but there were more changes made to MW2 compared to COD4 than Twilight Princess to OOT. The amount of time between 1 game and it's sequel has nothing to do with anything. It's all about mentality. It's all about experimentation. And, in terms of gameplay, turning something non cartoony to cartoony without changing much of anything else means nothing.
The Treyarch games on the other hand...(and possibly mw3)...well, yeah.
The problem with verticallity is that it's hard to implement.

For one, it's harder to control on a console because of the controller. Another (bigger) reason is that your screen is 16:9 panoramic on the horizontal line, so you get much less vertical space than horizontal. Usually when you can see a small building from side to side, you can only see one or two floors, so if you have someone on a third floor, you have to look up and be unable to look at the door anymore, whereas if you have tons of windows on the first or second floor, you can look at most of them at the same time without moving the camera so much.

Another reason is that when you look up and stop seeing the floor, it's easier to get your position wrong and stop knowing where's top, where's down, front, back, etc.. It's hard to explain, but basically if you stop being able to see the floor, you might go a bit crazy for a second (this doesn't happen to everyone, but probably many people here has been in a situation where you were looking top or down while shooting at someone from very close and suddenly not knowing where you were looking at for like a second, until you move the camera around again.

That's why most games usually don't have much verticallity when it comes to FPS or even some TPS games like Uncharted (for the multiplayer maps for example, they have more verticallity than many FPS but still less than if you compare it to the campaign levels).

Nizz

NullPointer said:
Fixed for knife nerf + explosives nerf.

The worst parts of COD for me are light speed knifers and noob tubers.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Not to mention commando pro made knifing 10 times more obnoxious in MW2.
Right on, guys. :) For me, knife runners in addition to Commando/Commando Pro ruined MW2 for me. I enjoyed playing the game, but fuck me if the knife runner/commando combo didn't make me rage hard.

So glad IW got that perk the fuck out of MW3. Had no business being there in the first place. Glad air support seems to be toned down a bit as well.

Nice job with the thread, Strider!

KaiserBecks

Jack Scofield said:

The last COD game came out last year. Also:

Jack Scofield said:
More recoil on guns is bullshit. People complained about the laser accuracy of assault rifles in MW2, but it just helped separate the lousy players from the good players. You shoot where you aim, nothing more. That dude 100 yards away? You better have him directly in your sights and not let recoil help you out with a few free hits.

If I'm aiming at someone's head, I should get a headshot. When someone is aiming at my torso and recoil forces their shots upwards for a headshot, that's bullshit. Clearly I was punished for aiming better.

I really don't even know what to say. That's completely ridiculous. You should play a game with laser rifles if you want laser accuracy.

[Nintex]

Meh footage did little for me, the environments outside of that giant radar dome looked rather bland and uninspired. The levels seemed flat mostly and I was never much of a fan of the 'wave' gameplay to begin with. This is hardly a COD thing, it seems to me that many shooters released this year are just not up to par. It might be lower budgets or rushed development but still a weird trend given the focus on FPS games these days.

Schwabe

kahcw0.png

bigger version: http://i53.tinypic.com/v44efr.jpg

points system for killstreaks, killstreaks switchable? :eek:

Ok so in that screen, right on the Dpad to activate the Juggernaut award, down to select the predator award, but what would up do?

Knives and explosives being nerfed is a step in the right direction. There are almost no gun battles in MW2 anymore.

I would also like them to build rooms so there are no or few blind corners when you go through doorways.

Top Bottom