• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'X' trailer [Monolithsoft] shows uncut gameplay

It's Xenoblade in HD, even the UI, which looks worse when seeing a video about combat than when actually playing it. It didn't bother me in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Cannot wait, but I can see how this can be a bit underwhelming to someone who has never played Xenoblade. The previous bits they showed us would leave a better impression on someone who doesn't know what to expect.

Anyway, this is what my dreams of made of.

one_kill

It was ok. They should have released a trailer instead. And worked behind the scenes to polish the gameplay.

And get rid of those numbers
You'll get used to the numbers.

I remember watching a LP of Borderlands 2 and being turned off by the numbers. When I eventually got to playing it, it didn't bother me so much.

But yeah, it'd be nice if it was Monster Hunter-ish and didn't have the numbers.

Dead Man

Well that looked less interesting to me than I hoped. Oh well, no doubt it will be good, just not what I was hoping for.

As I said in the Direct thread, the ground combat looks like it'll be fun (I enjoyed Xenoblade's combat, too). The mech combat... eh, it didn't look that great. Just a bunch of shooting. I was wanting to see some epic cutting off limbs or whatever stuff instead of just blasting away some guns.

I'm happy to see more X footage, but I gotta admit, it wasn't what I was expecting. I really want to see a story trailer. Showing some random battle in the world isn't as exciting.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
That UI is so damn cluttered and obtrusive.

Really distracting.

There were some options in Xenoblade that allowed you to customise the UI display. I'm sure X will also have these types of options as well.

paolo11

Whoever said it's MMO, answer me this please.

A) how come we see a character portrait on the UI?

B) Is there a lot of MMO that has a lot of VA while in battle?

And I hated it. The thing I that put me off the most when considering Xenoblade was the combat.

Okay.
I guess I'm not sure I understand. Your hype is gone because the next-gen follow up to Xenoblade looks to play similarly to Xenoblade?

I hope you don't get hyped about the sequel of every game you don't like. Sounds like a life full of disappointment.

Haunted

The different scales for on-foot and mech combat are very cool.

It's got the old MMO problem of absolutely no enemy hit feedback whatsoever, though, which makes it look extremely static. Everything is just going through its animations undisturbed by anything.

People seeing similarities to Monster Hunter couldn't be more wrong. It's almost antithetical to Monster Hunter in that way.

Chaos17

The video should have been introced with some live commentary about chat's was going on. I still have some hope for this game.

By the way, my guess is that the characters in the footage are all pretty high leveled. I don't expect huge monsters like that to be that easy for lower level characters

X looked "good" but not amazing, It sucks it's on the WII-U, it hurts it no doubt.

The mech battles was amazing tho, but the melee combat was bad, it was so choppy.

Yes, it does suck that a Nintendo owned company is working on an epic game for a Nintendo system.

aravuus

I hope the same person that directed the Xenoblade cutscenes to direct the cutscenes in this game. Because the Xenoblade cutscenes were amazing, even if the character models and facial animations were horrid.

Xenoblade level of awesome cutscenes + a better engine would be amazing.

Yeah, wonder who s/he was. The cutscenes were amazing.

Anyway, I'm not really liking what I'm seeing. I grew to like Xenoblade a lot after I gave it another chance, but this honestly looks like a downgrade from it in a lot of ways. And the UI is just horrible.

Mechs though, mechs are great. Xenoblade was the game that made me buy a Wii, maybe this'll be the one for Wii U

Effect

The Nintendo Direct footage actually had me a little worried. The enemies just looked like huge bullet sponges that weren't posing a thread.

But, still, #inmonolithwetrust

It's an RPG. Enemies aren't going to drop to quickly unless you completely out level them and even then that might not happen depending on resistances, etc. That giant creature is a boss-like enemy. They're in Xenoblade as well.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I dunno what ya'll are on about, it looks great. "Xenoblade with mechs" is exactly what it looks like, HUD included, it's exactly what it looked like from the very first trailer, this is a bad thing all of a sudden?

And I'm sure the mech fuel is why you don't always fight in one, it looked like it kicked the guy out near the end of the fight cause he used it too much.

Sure am curious about all that player 2/3/4 stuff tho. Could just be a matter of not having character names worked out yet, I suppose. You'd think if it was multiplayer that would've been made explicit at this point.

ZoddGutts

Didn't care for the combat in Xenoblade since it got repetitive and the combat here looks the same, the mech combat looked bland.

It's not.

It's been a year since it was announced and we still haven't gotten a proper story trailer. Instead we keep getting videos of MMOesque battles.

VS Xenoblade which showed a bunch of action scenes in the very announcement trailer at e3 09, and I'm starting to get worried.

Sure am curious about all that player 2/3/4 stuff tho. Could just be a matter of not having character names worked out yet, I suppose. You'd think if it was multiplayer that would've been made explicit at this point.

They had a chat log between players in a previous trailer. Don't know how much more explicit it could be.

Caronte

The UI was ugly and the combat didn't look too exciting to be honest. That monster was barely doing anything, just taking damage.

There's still time to make it better though.

Is it too much to hope western devs get inspired by this and start making X clones featuring mechs and dinosaurs? I don't want your lame-ass Titanfall Respawn! I want X!

X looked "good" but not amazing, It sucks it's on the WII-U, it hurts it no doubt.

The mech battles was amazing tho, but the melee combat was bad, it was so choppy.

It wouldn´t happen on any other system because no one would pay for it.

Look how much trouble the few remaining "AAA-esque JRPG" (from a budget/production value perspective )-developers are facing.

chadboban

WANT SO BAD!!

Wish they showed more exploration, although I guess that pretty much what we've been shown for the past two trailers so seeing some combat was a nice change of pace. Just please not let us have to wait eight more months for our next look at this game
or to find out what it's actual name is.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
It just looks like Xenoblade with mechs.

. . .

Meaning it just looks like one of the greatest RPG's ever but with mechs.

Holy fuck, I need it and I need it now.

dreamfall

That moment he hopped in the mech- brillllliance!

Looks like an updated version of Xenoblade Chronicles wonderful combat system.

I am so, so hyped. This and Bayonetta got me ready!

Protome

I am excited it about it. I loved the combat in Xenoblade. I can't wait for the tactics that I have to use.

Hopefully they show some gameplay of more tactical combat soon, it'd get me back on board for sure. If 90% of combat is going to be like this? Ehhhhh

Okay.
I guess I'm not sure I understand. Your hype is gone because the next-gen follow up to Xenoblade looks to play similarly to Xenoblade?

I hope you don't get hyped about the sequel of every game you don't like. Sounds like a life full of disappointment.

Since when was X shown to have a battle system like Xenoblade? Of course I knew it was a sequel to Xenoblade but I had hoped that they would change the battle system considerably.

Unfortunately they haven't.

Vashzaron

Just like when you first encounter Dunban and Dickson in Xenoblade then.

I'll add something else though, look at the portraits.

3r3SlbO.png

Doesn't the first, 2nd and third male ones all look to be following some basic similar structure...? Even the Female one, doesn't confirm anything but heh reminds me of Online games that try to do portraits for avatars.

Top Bottom