• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - Lots of new info from Game Informer

I saw scans again. That giant vehicle looks badass. Can't wait for direct HD feed.

Whole game looks like 5x big. All I want is different environment to add variety rather than same brownish look all the time. Plus, big boss fights.

Ether_Snake said:
when is it coming out on ps3

May be from Gears 3 if MS doesn't pay truck load of money to Epic to secure exclusive. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MirageDwarf said:
I saw scans again. That giant vehicle looks badass. Can't wait for direct HD feed.

Whole game looks like 5x big. All I want is different environment to add variety rather than same brownish look all the time. Plus, big boss fights.

May be from Gears 3 if MS doesn't pay truck load of money to Epic to secure exclusive. :p

I was kidding actually, but it'd be nice to have Gears of War compilation on PS3 when the third one is released on 360, maybe a few months later.

But whatever.

beerbelly

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Just wanted to put the word out there, they really should bet on the score.

I don't even remember GOW1 score, i remember thinking it wasn't bad though. But i think it would be cool if they got someone high profile to really push it, GOW 2 looks more badass and bigger than 1st, it would be nice if the composer scored something that reflected it, a good score used in the appropriate times can rise your excitement level by a third.

Do you want rock music/fast beats or similar? I thought the music was EXCELLENT in Gears 1. It was probably the second biggest surprise from the game (biggest surprise was actually seeing it running with the awesome graphics --I really didn't think they would be able to pull it off). If they decided to keep all the music from Gears 1 without adding any new ones I would still be satisfied.

Ether_Snake said:
I was kidding actually, but it'd be nice to have Gears of War compilation on PS3 when the third one is released on 360, maybe a few months later.

But whatever.
I was kidding too. Nobody knows.

WrikaWrek

Banned
beerbelly said:
Do you want rock music/fast beats or similar? I thought the music was EXCELLENT in Gears 1. It was probably the second biggest surprise from the game (biggest surprise was actually seeing it running with the awesome graphics --I really didn't think they would be able to pull it off). If they decided to keep all the music from Gears 1 without adding any new ones I would still be satisfied.

It just wasn't memorable to me, it didn't add anything to the action actually. I was just checking out the Bourne soundtrack, and i was listening to this track Tangiers, and just by listening to the music i could picture the chase sequence, the rooftops, the motion.

Gears has ton of action, and i want the score to be as powerful as the action displayed on screen. I didn't say Gears 1 had a bad score, it just felt derivative and forgettable.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
CliffyB said:
p.s. I read every god damned post in this thread. :lol

I just want to say I'm still speechless that you're implementing different difficulty levels for co-op. Gears co-op rocked my world but I wanted to throw my controller at the screen when my partner couldn't make it through the mine shaft or the other 'fork-in-the-road' moments in the game. I've been playing Epic games since I was a wee pup and the fact that you've maintained such a consistent quality and attention to detail over the years is so awesome.

/Epic love

SPEA

beerbelly said:
I was gonna post the same thing. I lovvvved the music in Gears. It fit very well with the game.

FightyF

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

But whatever.

It'll be the same time when Killzone 2 comes to the 360. I'm not kidding. If you don't believe me, check to see who publishes both titles.

Hammer24

Banned
CliffyB said:
p.s. I read every god damned post in this thread. :lol

... and I hope you keep on doing so! :D

Another wish:
Please take a page from the book of success that COD4 is - make all achievements SP only! MP achievements are just for boosters/traders, nearly no one does them regularly, so they are pointless. Its quite the opposite - its sometime hard to get a good game going, when some people are merely going for same achievements, and not the team.
Look, if your MP is really good, you don´t need any added incentive in the form of achievements.
Make them SP only, pretty please! :)

Truant

Orlics said:
But guys I thought Gears nearly maxed out the 360.

:lol

'Guys, the maxed-out bar is nearly...maxed-out. No more effects!'

'Roger that, Cliffy. All arms, graphics down!'

'YES SIR. Men, you heard him! Get your asses off the bunk!'

And so it was, a million fortnights ago, that the Box of X's power was finally tapped.

SPEA

Aladuf

Banned
SPEA said:
You wanna get even more hyped for Gears 2? Listen to this:
MP3: http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KFAN-AM/videogamesweekly_040908.mp3
Webpage: http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=Video_Games_Weekly.xml

It's podcast with the guys from Game Informer. The show is "Video Games Weekly" on KFAN radio. They talk a little bit about Gears 2. Good stuff starts at 19:30. Enjoy

Sweet! I'm gonna listen to it now. :D

FrankT

SPEA said:
MP3: http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KFAN-AM/videogamesweekly_040908.mp3
Webpage: http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=Video_Games_Weekly.xml

It's podcast with the guys from Game Informer. The show is "Video Games Weekly" on KFAN radio. They talk a little bit about Gears 2. Good stuff starts at 19:30. Enjoy

Awesome, the graphics discussion to say the least, sounds like Epic is going to be setting the bar, again.

SPEA said:

Hey I just listened to that podcast and I must say I actually enjoyed it. Most of these videogame podcasts like 1up make me cringe just because they sound so outrageously NERDY! These guys make it sound like a show I would actually hear on the radio, I can take it seriously. Maybe it's because the main guy has a good radio voice, but it definately sounded more radio like, and it works.

EDIT: LOL it actually is a radio show! It sounds great, I wish I had something like this to listen to in the car.

duk

Banned
give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me give it to me pls?

scoobs

anyone else a little worried that a comic book writer is coming on to write the script for gears 2??? I can just see the dialogue now... and no its not good.

scoobs said:
anyone else a little worried that a comic book writer is coming on to write the script for gears 2??? I can just see the dialogue now... and no its not good.

Yes, I'm very concerned because Video Game Dialogue is much more accomplished than Comic Book Dialogue.

Hang on, "much more accomplished than" means "exceeded on pretty much every level by" right?

ETA: I'd more worried that the guy hasn't really written much of anything substantial in comics than the fact that he's written for comics.

Truant

Hey, Cliffy B.

Pease add a flamethrower similar to the one in Aliens.

PS: Make it look good, and tell that son of a bitch to not tamper with the screenshots.

Banned
Listening to the podcast now. I am so excited for this game. Gears 2 graphics sound like they will be the new pinnacle for consoles.

Salazar

Truant said:
Hey, Cliffy B.

PS: Make it look good, and tell that son of a bitch to not tamper with the screenshots.

Is there not a risk that the flames would look less than optimal in screens, and GAF would go nuts with apprehension / schadenfreude as a result ?

Aladuf

Banned
duk said:
As was the first game :D

And just by knowing what the first game looks like I'm dying to see how Gears 2 can push those boundaries for consoles even more. I can't wait to see some in-game footage.

Banned
If what the guys from Game Informer are saying is true then we are going to have more than a few meltdowns here when the game is revealed.

duk

Banned
Karma said:
If what the guys from Game Informer are saying is true then we are going to have more than a few meltdowns here when the game is revealed.

the guys at GI are usually reliable

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Truant said:
Hey, Cliffy B.

Could be pretty cool weapon against the Krill (spelling?), keep them at bay and create light at the same time :).

Truant

Salazar said:
Is there not a risk that the flames would look less than optimal in screens, and GAF would go nuts with apprehension / schadenfreude as a result ?

There in lies the question. Would GAF go crazier over poor screens, or the revelation that good looking screens were tampered with?

Aladuf

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
Could be pretty cool weapon against the Krill (spelling?), keep them at bay and create light at the same time :).

That actually would be pretty cool to use against the Kryll but otherwise I don't like flamethrowers in games... I don't know why, but they always seem too weak.

Truant said:
There in lies the question. Would GAF go crazier over poor screens, or the revelation that good looking screens were tampered with?

really, people shouldnt need to be worried about the graphics of the game...the first looked great, this will look better....simple. Of course logic is boring on Gaf

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta go with a negi on the flamethrower.
Flamethrowers always sound awesome on paper but are never that great in an actual game.

outsida

Jtwo said:
I gotta go with a negi on the flamethrower.
Flamethrowers always sound awesome on paper but are never that great in an actual game.

Team Fortress 2 utilizes them pretty well though:D

Pistolero

The worms look pretty disgusting...Intense fights in perspective. The described scenes sound truly epic ! As for graphics, well, I'll have to wait for a video...

Truant

Moonwalker said:
Really sounds like epic is taking it up another level, great to hear.

Another%20Level%20-%20Album.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I think a flamethrower could be awesome if you have limited access to it. Say an implementation in the vein of the mounted machine guns in Gears of War. Its usually pretty fun when a game throws some big badass weaponry at you (such as rocket launchers to shoot down helicopters for example) for limited use at a time and place.

Top Bottom