• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East In-Game Trailer

The graphics looked great to me.

For the most part I agree too. I don't get some people in here when they say 'it even looks bad for a last gen game'. Really? I don't agree with that at all. Sure some of the textures are rough, some of the animations look off and you can see some of the textures loading in slowly because of the engine....but I still think it looks pretty damn great. The variety in the enemies, locations and atmosphere all look superb. It's also got that cool unique Japanese art-style that I've so badly missed from big budget console games. Hopefully we get some leaked gameplay soon so we can see a little more!

GravyButt

Looks great, cant wait until release date. I like horror themed stuffed, but Im getting sick of the RE series and even Silent hill series. The stories are just way over done for me. Hopefully this fresh story helps keep me interested in the horror gaming genre

For the most part I agree too. I don't get some people in here when they say 'it even looks bad for a last gen game'. Really? I don't agree with that at all. Sure some of the textures are rough, some of the animations look off and you can see some of the textures loading in slowly because of the engine....but I still think it looks pretty damn great. The variety in the enemies, locations and atmosphere all look superb. It's also got that cool unique Japanese art-style that I've so badly missed from big budget console games. Hopefully we get some leaked gameplay soon so we can see a little more!

I'll need to rewatch the initial gameplay demo released last year, but the visuals in this trailer looked a little downgraded in comparison, a little rougher (I'm not talking about the film grain) with some frame rate issues. It's not bad, but it's not, you know, smooth. Makes me think the trailer is cut from last-gen footage. When the game's released, I expect a super smooth frame rate and polished visuals, but other than that, it looks fine.

Figured I'd cross-post this from the horror thread. Here was my experience with the closed doors demo at PAX.

Here's a longer description of the closed door demo I saw at PAX today. The tweet above that described it as "utterly lifeless" was right on the money.

The demo was live gameplay and lasted about 15-20 minutes. They played through two areas and showed off the combat and some of the locales. I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen in a trailer so far, in terms of locations.

The first area was that strange area from the trailers with the destroyed city and shifting cliffs. The first 3/4 of this part was just walking through the environment. It came across as completely dull. The character seemed completely unfazed by the way that the environment kept changing (e.g. at several points, buildings and the floor collapse right in front of him and there's no reaction). Towards the end of the section, they introduce the enemies. The player was equipped with a shotgun, sniper rifle, pistol, and a crossbow. There were some stealth elements that reminded me very strongly of The Last of Us (and not in a good way). In fact, it even had a very similar animation that occurs when an enemy grapples onto you. At the end, the guy encountered a water monster which he tried to distract by throwing bottles in the water, but the part ended when he was eaten by it.

The second area was a sort of puzzle section that took place in that strange industrial section that's been in the trailers. Throughout this section, the Box-head character was stalking the guy as he was trying to turn a set of valves. The Box-man can be killed normally by shooting him, but he comes back constantly. This sounded cool at first, but at no point did it seem that the guy was in danger. Add to that the fact that the section seemed to consist solely of:

1. Turn valve
2. 75% through turning valve, Box head shows up
3. Kill Box-head
4. Rinse and repeat

At the end, maybe one or two people clapped. It felt like the room had been super disappointed.

Performance-wise, the demo would hitch up at points (actually freeze for a second or two), but I attribute this to the game simply being still in development. I wasn't sure what platform it was being demo'ed on, but it didn't look great at all.

Figured I'd cross-post this from the horror thread. Here was my experience with the closed doors demo at PAX.

mendoza_347lzs3n.jpg

MIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, damn, that sounds very, very bad. Seems like they thought they could pretty much sale based on "from the creator of Resident Evil!".

mekes

Sounds like things still need to be added in? Hype hasn't gone down for me, will wait for preview impressions closer to release.

Lucent

Sounds like things still need to be added in? Hype hasn't gone down for me, will wait for preview impressions closer to release.

This. Don't think there was enough there to make a real impression. Some people just make bad demos.

Lucent

Oh yeah, gotta add that I am not going to let that snippet bother me until I've played it. I can't imagine someone who made RE4 could make this bad.

Vibranium

Banned

Hmm. I might have to wait on reviews and discounts, I'll get it on PC because of the annoying price hikes here in Canada. Hopefully GMG will have something going on: I'm still going to play through it, and it could be something really neat like RE4 was.

Mikami isn't spotless for sure, if it doesn't deliver survival horror fans shouldn't be afraid to criticize him. I kind of wish he would have gone for a REmake style game (as a huge fan of that classic title), but hey, you never know.

Neff

None of that sounds terribly off-putting imo. It sounds like a videogame enough to me. Looking forward to playing it.

I never anticipated this being as good as Mikami's best works though, at least after the first trailer was revealed.

-MD-

The only part of your post that turns me off is the fact that he had 4+ weapons on him, I wanted some actual item/ammo management in my "return to survival horror".

DVCY201

Reading some of the previews from PAX East, and I'm not too sure what to think. It doesn't seem THAT bad, but the general impression is quite negative/disappointed. I don't know if this is because the game is actually bad, or just that expectations are very high. I'm still excited, and I eagerly await more impressions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Can. Not. Wait.

edit: he posts, after watching the trailer and not having read the thread.

kodecraft

To be fair...

Most Mikami games aren't really fun to "watch", you really understand their greatness when you play them. RE4? A TPS in which you can't move while you shoot and tank controls, PN03? Another weird shooter with seemingly janky controls, God Hand? A 3D brawler with tank controls and a camera from behind which looks rough as hell.

I think until we play it and see how the different systems, weapons, combat, enemy design, etc... works we won't be able to get an idea. Hey! maybe ends being a mediocre game, but I think Mikami games shouldn't really judged over gameplay footage (well, except Vanquish looked awesome in gameply videos lol)

Kinsei

Banned
The previews don't really affect my opinion of the game, if anything they just reinforce them. The game looks like a fun horror themed third person shooter, with some interesting set pieces. Maybe it's because I never expected it to be a survival horror game, but the demo seems like it could have been fun to play. I'm still excited for the game.

Top Bottom