• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East In-Game Trailer

So instead you want run back to the ONE room you put it in part. How is that any better, one room that you may forget where you laid down some items or having multiple locations to recover that item? What you say makes no sense, its always better to have more options in recovery. Yes its nice to simply be able to discard something I understand that part but going back to reaquire an item is a pain in the ass.

There's automatically less backtracking by virtue of the fact that there's no initial trip to the item box. Drop Item X in Room A, go to Room B and use key, return to Item X. In RE, it's run to Item Box (which may well be further away from Room B than Room A), drop item X, return to Room C, grab key, go to B and use key, return to Box for Item X. It's especially bad in situations where the key is right by the door and shouldn't require any backtracking at all, but you still have to run back to the item box because Jill can't put her gun on the damn table.

The only possible problem would be that some players may dislike how their items don't magically transfer from one area to another and that they'd be forced to actually think seriously about their inventory, but I really don't see that as a downside.

v0rtikal

I don't wanna see any videos, pictures, whatever... the reveal video was enough, I know who's behind it and I'll buy it blindfolded, I trust the man.

sjay1994

Game looks rough, but probably because it still needs polish.

The early trailers for Wolfenstein also looked really rough, but the game seems more polished now.

Gold_Loot

Not really felling it honesty. I was under the impression from earlier interviews that this was going to be a serious psychological thriller . The game is looking more and more campy and over the top with large goofy monster designs and really bad voice overs.
Of course as always it's unwise to judge so early so I'll just keep an eye out closer to release.

Shogun1337

Sigh... you graphics obsessed folk... this is why we can't have nice things. Oh how I fear for the near future of this industry. Dev's are just gonna have their work cut out much harder for them as technology increases, instead of the way it's supposed to be: easier.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Finally, a good trailer. The game might be a buy for me but the only thing I'm not liking is his expressionless face in moments of terror. Shinji really needs to take advantage of that since the player isn't the main character (custom name, loadout, yadda yadda) but this new protagonist that he/she is vicariously experiencing this horror through.

Odrion

Banned
Wow, ID Tech 5 isn't really impressing me between this and Wolfenstein.

But it looks like it's overflowing with creativity, and with Shinji at the reigns I am excited as fuck.

Hypron

Sigh... you graphics obsessed folk... this is why we can't have nice things. Oh how I fear for the near future of this industry. Dev's are just gonna have their work cut out much harder for them as technology increases, instead of the way it's supposed to be: easier.

Yeah I don't get it. I like great graphics and all that jazz, but I'd never ever even consider on skipping on a game for graphical matters. And this game will run in 1080p so it should look pretty sharp. Since it's running on the idtech 5 I also expect the performance to be really solid and consistent, whether it's locked at 30 or 60 fps.

Odrion

Banned
I'm more concerned about this game's (and Wolfenstein's) graphics being indicative of ID Tech 5 than anything else.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God damn those graphics are horrible. Even for a last gen game.

Worse than Titanfalls.

That said, game looks good.

It looks like shit to me. It just looks like some sort of Saw/silent hill homecoming gorefest and pandering to the gore-fetishists. I doubt gameplay is good either.

So you hated Resident Evil 4 and you even say you hate everything AND you have a Yu-Gi-Oh avatar? You expect us to take you seriously?
Your opinion is void.

Shredderi

I am confused a little now.

While graphics might disappoint him, he doesn't equate disappointing graphics with disappointing game from artistic or design point of view. This footage got me really excited for this game but I agree that the graphical fidelity seen in here does not look hot. I do like the art design a lot though.

Yeah I was pretty sure about that too, going for 30fps especially in the PS4 version sounds weird.

Well, Doom 4 was supposed to run at 30 when Carmack was at id, so it's certainly possible.

Who cares if its not a graphical masterpiece. The atmosphere seems great.interested in how it will play.

Good graphics help improve the atmosphere, a monster is more scary if it animates and looks well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
technically it looks so and so imho.
but I'll probably love this game! finally a real survival horror, with tension and madness, not only shooter parts

This is legit disturbing....

BOmaVei.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

BOmaVei.jpg

Fun fact about this lady, she's the same lady who is thrown in the fire earlier in the trailer, but she's human and agonizing in that earlier scene. So I assume this scene is more traumatic in the game as she's someone Sebastian see's as a living person before he see's her as one of the zombie-things.

It looks like shit to me. It just looks like some sort of Saw/silent hill homecoming gorefest and pandering to the gore-fetishists. I doubt gameplay is good either.

Gore is part of horror. But this seems far more like Event Horizon-style gore than Saw.

Anyway, this is the first trailer that really grabbed my interest. It's the first time that it really hasn't made me think that it was a new take on RE4, which is something that I hope that horror games get away from during this gen.

Gore is part of horror. But this seems far more like Event Horizon-style gore than Saw.

That's a favorite film of mine. Totally blew my mind watching it in theaters. Didn't expect the flick to turn out that way based off the trailers. So... yeah. The Evil Within. Let's do this!

MazeHaze

Banned
I really love the logo for this! How the T is like an Icepick going into his eye for the good 'ol lobotomy. Really cool stuff.

SoldnerKei

well, I knew this was going to be a RE4 reloaded, but I don't care, at least I can pretend that this is what RE5 could have been

ArjanN

*SPOILER BREAKDOWN*

I really do think they're trying to throw every possible angle of what could be happening in the game at the player to confuse what is actually going on. We have the possibility of crazy scientific experiments, the possibility of satanic rituals and cults, the possibility that our main character is insane, and so many other possibilities.

It really reminds me of RE4, not just in the stuff that directly looks like it, but also in how RE4 throws like a million different things at the wall. (zombies, LOTR trolls, look out, a giant Indiana Jones boulder! Now you're in a medieval castle, here comes a minecart section! etc.)

Its almost as if Rage was a sign of things to come.

I thought Rage looked pretty good,

On my PC

Eventually.

Neff

BOmaVei.jpg

I admit I'm a little disappointed that, after the atmospheric and artistic wizardry of RE1, REmake and RE4, Mikami seems to have taken the Paul WS Anderson route of gore, shock cuts and barbed wire to give us the willies.

StuBurns

Banned
I admit I'm a little disappointed that, after the atmospheric and artistic wizardry of RE1, REmake and RE4, Mikami seems to have taken the Paul WS Anderson route of gore, shock cuts and barbed wire to give us the willies.
I think it's hard to say, but I'm hoping this stuff isn't actually presented in this staccato manner in the game.

If you think of why SH is so effective, it puts you in an environment with something really disgusting, it doesn't justify it, and allows it's horrid nature just seep into you in this really unnerving way. A lot of the content in this trailer could easily be presented in a similar way within the context of a game.

I'm not blown away by anything show of the game so far, in fact I think everything has been pretty bad, but I'm hoping it's just bad marketing. Aside from the technical shortcomings, and that's inevitable with Carmack's mutant infecting everything Bethesda make.

Sanke__

Looks too good for last gen and pretty rough for current gen.

About what i was thinking.

Was probably in development for last gen and trailer is for up ported current gen version.

Looks real good though.
Looks like a step back into horror from re4 instead of the 10 steps toward action that was re5.

easily my most anticaipted game for the rest of the year right behind mario kart and smash bros. I love me some old school feely games

sphinx

the piano man
from all the games this game seems to take cues from

.- Resident Evil 4-6
.- Silent Hill
.- Condemned
.- Dementium
.- Alan Wake (?)

I'd say it feels nearer from Condemned than from the other games.

Same stuff with this "am I going crazy?" lines that point at allucinations and stuff.

it does look very rough but I think I will give Mikami my money, it's his first horror game after RE4, right? there HAS to be some goodness there, right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
He's a softie compared to me. I literally hate everything. So again, don't compare.

If you literally hate everything, there's no need for you to post because 1) your opinion can be perfectly predicted without you expressing it and 2) your opinion is uncorrelated with reality and therefore useless to everyone. Just something to think about.

Top Bottom