• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East In-Game Trailer

Spoo

So excited for this -- just a week after my birthday :D Will be glorious. (RE4 is in my top 5 best games of all time so I can't not be excited about this)

AmyS

Haven't read any of comments in this thread but:

A) I want this game.

B.) I remember all the early versions of Resident Evil 4 aka RE3.5

Because I can't wait for this game and with this new trailer! Let me post my Boxhead costume I made!

IEI839cl.jpg

I like that flower field shot with the cabin silhouetted against the really dramatic sky. I hope there are more surreal and totally contrasting images like that across the game, as well as the psychological stuff like the blood hallway.

The textures are bad but who cares, this is all about the atmosphere, which seems fine to me. If they get the gameplay right, I'll be there.

I like that flower field shot with the cabin silhouetted against the really dramatic sky. I hope there are more surreal and totally contrasting images like that across the game, as well as the psychological stuff like the blood hallway.
Considering the game's name was changed from Psychobreak to The Evil Within for the US, I'm pretty sure there's going to be lots of trippy mind shit. At least, I hope so, too!

Evil Within is crossgen game, this trailer looked like it was captured from old consoles.

Here's how the nextgen version looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MMKhoHl9BnE#t=180

Much better texture work.

People complaining about the graphics should take a look at this. I find this video quite pleasing, unless it's a vertical slice of bullshit. If it still looks this good when people play the PAX demo I think we should be safe.

For people bitching about id Tech 5, shame on you! That engines approach to texturing means there's going to be far more variety and less repeating textures. RAGE looked good and performed extremely well on very modest PC's. It also is possible for a game on id Tech 5 to be running at 30fps instead of 60fps which may be the case here (Doom was initially targeting 30fps).

With all that out of the way, this trailer is awesome! I love that they showed a lot seemingly without giving away too much. The game looks like it's going to be epic.

Seronei

Can't wait, RE4 is one of my favorite games ever and this look similarly awesome.

For people bitching about id Tech 5, shame on you! That engines approach to texturing means there's going to be far more variety and less repeating textures. RAGE looked good and performed extremely well on very modest PC's.

RAGE was one of the ugliest games I've seen in recent times. Unrepeating textures doesn't matter when all walls look so bad that you can't distinguish one wall from another due to every wall being a blurry mess.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I still have absolutely no idea what to make of this game. We've seen such little gameplay content, especially from more recent, polished builds, and the marketing hasn't made much effort to explain the game systems or story. Like if someone were to ask me "Tell me about The Evil Within!" I really wouldn't have a lot to say beyond "It's a horror game by Shinji Mikami". Yet somehow that's enough for me to still be super interested.

Looks pretty cool but damn those textures are rough.

I know right.

This is one of the reasons I want a PS4 but man, lets be honest it looks like a PS3 game. I'm sure it will shape up by release... hopefully. Gameplay looks like something I've been waiting a long time for though.

djshauny

Banned
I still have absolutely no idea what to make of this game. We've seen such little gameplay content, especially from more recent, polished builds, and the marketing hasn't made much effort to explain the game systems or story. Like if someone were to ask me "Tell me about The Evil Within!" I really wouldn't have a lot to say beyond "It's a horror game by Shinji Mikami". Yet somehow that's enough for me to still be super interested.

I watched an interview a few months back and I think thats the way Tango/Bethesda want it. They want it to be a mystery all the way till launch.

Ill have a look for the interview I watched and ill update this post.

EDIT

Heres the interview :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gpq7JiMUSY

vd9eeJs.gif

Neff

I still have absolutely no idea what to make of this game. We've seen such little gameplay content, especially from more recent, polished builds, and the marketing hasn't made much effort to explain the game systems or story. Like if someone were to ask me "Tell me about The Evil Within!" I really wouldn't have a lot to say beyond "It's a horror game by Shinji Mikami".

I have a feeling that's because there probably isn't much to the game that we can't figure out for ourselves. From the looks of it, there'll be shooting, traps, limited ammo, invincible enemies chasing you down, and lots of gorgeous, atmospheric locales. But so far it just doesn't feel like it's doing anything of its own to me, both in terms of gameplay and its in your face Silent Hill-esque disturbing imagery. I could be wrong. There may be some amazing new mechanics that Mikami's about to bring to the table. Maybe the flash-cutting torture-fetish stuff is simply for hard-sell show, and will at some point give way to include the quieter, drawn-out, unsettling 'lived in' and 'being watched' moments that RE gave us. Maybe Mikami's already let the cat out of the bag, and it's an old damn cat. Or maybe the bag's still tightly shut. Hope so.

Either way, I'm still going to make sure that I have a PS4 ready for this.

UrbanRats

Looks like a RE4-style shooter with heavy stealth elements, some sort of trap system (that didn't look very advanced from the gameplay video) and a lot of scripted set pieces.

I don't know, it doesn't look very unconventional.

taoofjord

Looks like a RE4-style shooter with heavy stealth elements, some sort of trap system (that didn't look very advanced from the gameplay video) and a lot of scripted set pieces.

I don't know, it doesn't look very unconventional.

You're right, but there aren't many good games like this that have come out recently. Even if it doesn't have any crazy mechanics or systems in it (which I doubt) I'd still be very happy.

I have a feeling that's because there probably isn't much to the game that we can't figure out for ourselves. From the looks of it, there'll be shooting, traps, limited ammo, invincible enemies chasing you down, and lots of gorgeous, atmospheric locales. But so far it just doesn't feel like it's doing anything of its own to me, both in terms of gameplay and its in your face Silent Hill-esque disturbing imagery. I could be wrong. There may be some amazing new mechanics that Mikami's about to bring to the table. Maybe the flash-cutting torture-fetish stuff is simply for hard-sell show, and will at some point give way to include the quieter, drawn-out, unsettling 'lived in' and 'being watched' moments that RE gave us. Maybe Mikami's already let the cat out of the bag, and it's an old damn cat. Or maybe the bag's still tightly shut. Hope so.

Either way, I'm still going to make sure that I have a PS4 ready for this.

This doesn't look to be a revolutionary game from what we've seen, but that doesn't matter. What ultimately makes the difference is how it's executed, and that's hard to get a handle on when we've seen so little of the game, and what we HAVE seen has been slow vertical slices. Though RE4 revolutionized third-person action/adventure shooters and you can still feel that reverberating around the industry, the core mechanics weren't complex at all (though they felt amazing). RE6 in comparison dwarfs RE4 in terms of control options at the player's disposal. What really made RE4 brilliant is how the game was structured, paced, and how you were continuously being put in situations that pulled and stretched those few mechanics you had with a variety of different enemies and scenarios. If The Evil Within can reach even 3/4's of RE4's greatness on top of having more flexibility with environments and general weirdness, this will be a great game.

G-Fex

It looks like shit to me. It just looks like some sort of Saw/silent hill homecoming gorefest and pandering to the gore-fetishists. I doubt gameplay is good either.

scitek

It looks like shit to me. It just looks like some sort of Saw/silent hill homecoming gorefest and pandering to the gore-fetishists. I doubt gameplay is good either.

i can see how you could think all the other stuff, but how on earth can you think the gameplay of a Shinji Mikami game won't be great?

Astral Dog

Yeah, i feel like we barely know anything, and its my second most anticipated game of the year, but of course a new action horror game by Mikami should be enough to get people interested.
I dont think it can top RE4 , but if it comes even a little close, that is enough to get me hyped.
Anybody knows who is doing the soundtrack? Yamaoka would fit for this game :)

G-Fex

i can see how you could think all the other stuff, but how on earth can you think the gameplay of a Shinji Mikami game won't be great?

Not a real fan of him (RE4 is overrated and is a boring game)

well from that brief seconds of shooting it looked like crap and very weak. Gun is a essential pea shooter. Looks like he's trying to do a RE4 type of gameplay but he also wants to make some sort of third person fucking Amnesia or Outlast (BARF).

Why can't I judge gameplay from a few seconds? Everyone else does ;)

I just don't get you, man. You and your weird opinions filled with hate.

Lighten up, Fex.

I love to hate. I'll probably never lighten up. Sorry.

Derrick, is that you?

Please don't compare me to him.

That trailer and the other footage I've seen of this game look very interesting, but this...

...is why I'm not yet sold on it.

CSX

Im guessing the trailer is implying a lot of this shit is happening inside the main character's mind?

-MD-

Getting strong vibes of RE1, Silent Hill 2, the Suffering and Clyde Barker's Undying. Day 1.

A handful of things shown so far remind me of RE1 and I absolutely love that.

RE1 + RE4 + Silent Hill = I need it right now.

UrbanRats

You're right, but there aren't many good games like this that have come out recently. Even if it doesn't have any crazy mechanics or systems in it (which I doubt) I'd still be very happy.

Well as i said, i want to believe.

This trailer looks somewhat more interesting, previous ones, not so much.

Top Bottom