• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour DLC [3 packs, 2 x 18 holes ea., New Chars, Day 1, Season Pass]

CoolS

I was being sarcastic... people are.."omgerd! day 1 dlc.." Like does it matter when a company distributes dlc? Do people feel better if its X amount of days, months to release dlc? The complaint was silly.

Fair enough, I still think it's better to be upfront about what you will get.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Please read the post again. Keyword is "precedence".

It doesn't matter if this is a 3DS game we're taking about. Even if it's the tiniest bit successful in this game, they will try it again in the future on their console games.

Well your post instantly goes off the beaten path to talk about console sales. Big surprise.

Nintendo can only come out with so many great games a year. I am happy they decided to beef up the content in the games that they do come out with. If a "precedent" is made that the games are 25% cheaper on release but feature a season pass for additional content. Wow. Win/Win. right? Or did you not figure the 25% cheaper on release in your overly negative post?

Azure J

+1 for expansions/DLC in more Nintendo games. Things like Smash, Kart, Tennis, Strikers and Golf are one time per generation but could get so much more via additional content that I can't help but be curious. As long as the pricing's right, I'm in.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Community bitches and whines for Nintendo to "get with the times," Nintendo does exactly that and community bitches and whines.

DAY 1

And people say Nintendo doesn't know how to market their products...

This game would have probably less than half the attention if it wasn't for this "controversy"!!!

I cringed too at "season pass" but am I getting this right???

You can buy the packs separately as they come along OR you can buy them all and get them as they come along through a "season pass"???

If that's how season passes always work, not really understanding the horror but I must be missing something.
This season pass is uniquely different in that you know everything that it comes with. Most season passes like Assassin's Creed or Trials Fusion only say that you'll get all DLC for a year, but don't tell you what that DLC is. It's basically a crap shoot.

prag16

Banned
I dont get this mentality. Up until an hour ago you were happy to buy a game that was COMPLETE at 10 courses with 120+ holes, but now DLC is announced that expands on this, the game somehow loses value?

This. In my opinion everyone up in arms about this is being ridiculous. Look at the value proposition. It's very very reasonable.

If you're going to make the slippery slope argument, you first have to prove the slope is slippery. In the case of Nintendo, we have zero such proof to this point. So until then, we should judge the value here on its own merits, and and it comes off very strong. People won't like that the first installment is there day one I guess, but this is a $30 game at launch vs. $40 for all the big 3DS titles.

If they did day one paid DLC for MK8 with the MSRP of the game the full $60 that'd be slightly more annoying, but still not enough to prove Nintendo's slope is slippery and that they've "turned evil".

Zalman

I'm not happy with this news, but I would actually love it if they did some Smash DLC now that the 3DS version is coming out first. That way, they could still reveal new characters while we're waiting for the Wii U version.

Given what's in the base game, the pricing, and what's in the packs, I have no problem with this at all. I'll probably purchase the pass myself. Yes, in a way it's kind of like watching Nintendo lose it's "innocence" but I feel this was bound to happen eventually, especially once Iwata gets the boot. At least in this case it's done well.

Chindogg

This might sound a bit crazy and fanboyish (I know from me impossible right) but did anyone consider that this DLC exists because the base game took all the space on the physical cart?

Would kinda make sense considering those carts aren't exactly amazing in size.

Gotta be. Nobody has ever raged about day 1 DLC and season passes before Nintendo did it. No sir.

Most people raged about the typical Season Pass/Day 1 DLC bullshit like Harley's DLC in Arkham City. This is pretty much a whole new game's worth of content for $15. Apples and oranges here.

So the $30 game has about the same content as their other previous retail priced golf game releases, complete with online play, but for some reason it's still not "complete" and thus you'd feel cheated?

no mention of feeling cheated. but when you say "about the same content" who or what are you comparing it to?

edit: for those who questioned my first point i only said "complete" because its day 1 DLC. which as we all know.....couldve been on the cart.

This season pass is uniquely different in that you know everything that it comes with. Most season passes like Assassin's Creed or Trials Fusion only say that you'll get all DLC for a year, but don't tell you what that DLC is. It's basically a crap shoot.

Got ya, thanks for clearing that up.

Investing in the unknown, yeah, that could end poorly.

Foshy

I've seen people saying it would have been better for Nintendo to wait a month or so to 'reveal' this. Would it really be though? At least this way they are upfront about it an tell you how much content is in the main game and how much you will get from jumping in on the season pass.

I dislike day1 DLC as much as the next person but seeing as there is DLC for every major game now, I find it ridiculous that companies pretend it isn't planned from the very start by announcing it later. Sure there are cases where the development of the DLC continues after the game is released but at least the way Nintendo is upfront about it with Mario Golf.
"planned and announced before release" is one thing, "ready and releasing on day 1" is another. I don't mind if they announce DLC before release but I feel slightly ripped off when there's (non-cosmetic) DLC at launch that could've been included with the game.

It's not too bad, but slightly annoying.

Few people? There are 42 million 3DSs. Nintendo is doing well. Wii U is not. Stop it.

How does that compare to previous DS' and Gameboys? Mobile market going to continue to take market share from Nintendo portables. Don't get too comfortable.

I didn't say anything bad about the 3DS itself, so settle down. I like mine.

This might sound a bit crazy and fanboyish (I know from me impossible right) but did anyone consider that this DLC exists because the base game took all the space on the physical cart?

Would kinda make sense considering those carts aren't exactly amazing in size.
Yeah, those poor devs couldn't fit all that content on a small cart so they're doing players a favor by allowing them to buy the content.

JoeM86

UK press release

22nd April 2014 – Nintendo is offering players the opportunity to nearly double the amount of content they can play in Mario Golf: World Tour, which launches on 2nd May for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

With 10 courses and 126 holes, an amount equivalent to previous titles in the franchise, extensive multiplayer modes as well as regional and worldwide tournaments, the main game offers plenty of content for golf fans already. But players who can’t get enough golf and want to expand their experience can purchase up to a total of 108 new downloadable holes and additional Mushroom Kingdom golfers to open up further challenging courses for players to test their skills on and enjoy*.

The downloadable content for the game will be released in three separate packs: the Mushroom Pack launching on 2nd May, the Flower Pack launching later in May and the Star Pack launching in June. Each pack includes two new 18-hole courses and a new playable character. Players will receive Toadette with the Mushroom Pack, Nabbit with the Flower Pack and Rosalina with the Star Pack.

Each pack will be available for £5.39 from Toad’s Booth, which can be found in the main menu of the game. Mario Golf: World Tour owners who know they want to buy all three add-on packs can buy a Three-Pack Set at a discounted rate of £10.79 starting 2nd May**. Three-Pack Set holders will get access to each new pack as it becomes available, and will receive a special bonus of Gold Mario as a playable character at the time of purchase. Gold Mario has a special Golden Flower shot that gains coins for every yard it travels. For those who purchase the packs individually, Gold Mario will also be available once all packs have been released.

Nintendo will also offer Trial Tournaments for consumers interested in trying out a sample of the downloadable courses before deciding to purchase. Players who own the game and download the Free-Trial Course Pack will be able to participate in these online tournaments.

** Three-Pack Set launch offer ends 31st May (23:59 local time). After this time, the Three-Pack Set will be priced at £13.49.

Looks like the UK gets a discount on the "season pass" if bought in the first month.

Now THAT'S doing it right

Chindogg

Yeah, those poor devs couldn't fit all that content on a small cart so they're doing us a favor by allowing us to buy the content.

Damn that's some serious jade. It's an honest question. What if the cart was actually full because they picked a cheaper cart to make a cheaper game?

javac

Nintendo have always stated that they want to do DLC and other practices that other developers partake in, but not until they figured out how to do them properly. They've been experimenting with different takes and ideas. NSMB 2, Steel Diver:Sub Wars, FE:Awakening DLC, NSLU, NES REMIX and this. I think they've been doing a good job so far.

Extending the scope of these games, making them more accessible and giving the consumer more options. Having it day one is a bit strange but it almost seems like a whole game in breadth for a good price. Lots of potential here for games like Pokémon, MK and Smash.

Community bitches and whines for Nintendo to "get with the times," Nintendo does exactly that and community bitches and whines.

DAY 1

yuuuuuuup

I'll probably hold off on this for a while since I'm getting Triple Deluxe that day, but it's definitely on my must-buy list.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't get the hate here.

1. Nintendo needs to do stuff like this for the betterment of their company. This is, at the very least, another sign that they're FINALLY moving forward in an effort to catch up in this area of the industry.

2. You still get a full game's worth of content without the DLC and you aren't forced to buy it.

3. This gives huge hope that Mario Kart 8 will have the DLC tracks.

Damn that's some serious jade. It's an honest question. What if the cart was actually full because they picked a cheaper cart to make a cheaper game?
I'm just saying you're grasping at straws here. No one makes DLC because they worked too hard, this stuff is planned in advance.

If the reason for this was indeed the cart being full, wouldn't selling this content be really, really slimy considering this was meant to be part of the game?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Cool.

The price actually sounds really reasonable considering what you get. It's more than I can about a lot of other developers who have done the same thing.

People don't want to try to understand/take into consideration things that they already have made their minds up about.

With that said, I have no idea the technicalities of memory as far as numbers are concerned with games.

JoeM86

Assets

CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course11a_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course12a_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course13a_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course14a_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course15a_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course16a_mediaplayer_large.png

CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Overview11b_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Overview12b_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Overview13b_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Overview14b_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Overview15b_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Overview16b_mediaplayer_large.png

CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Char01_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Char02_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Char03_mediaplayer_large.png
CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Char04_mediaplayer_large.png

Ansatz

I'm not bothered about the asking price or the discount for buying all at once but day 1 DLC is kinda lame.

Why is day 1 DLC a problem when the base game is fully featured and contains everything expected, while the DLC are just extras? Am I missing something? I thought people complained when devs took out expected content and decided to sell it as DLC.

RiggyRob

UK press release

Looks like the UK gets a discount on the "season pass" if bought in the first month.

What's with their recent £10.79/£13.49 pricing though? I mean I get it works out roughly equivalent compared to the Euro but it wouldn't kill them to go £9.99/£12.99 to match the US dollar instead.

Edit: Goddamn, some of those assets look like they were made for Wii U.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Cool.

The price actually sounds really reasonable considering what you get. It's more than I can about a lot of other developers who have done the same thing.

Worth mentioning that this is already a $29.99 title as opposed to many first-party 3DS titles which start at $39.99. I am pretty sure there is gonna be plenty of content.

entremet

My big issue with DLC is that if you're into physical media having a good portion of your game contents only available online makes it tenuous if a platform holder goes out of business. From an archival and collection perspective it's detrimental. No longer do you have the full game on your cart or disc.

Chindogg

I'm just saying you're grasping at straws here. No one makes DLC because they worked too hard, this stuff is planned in advance.

I never said anything about working too hard, I asked if the base game physically filled the very limiting memory cart format 3DS uses. IIRC the cheaper cart is only something like 2GB so it's very possible they could have just filled the thing up with the current content.

UK press release

You got to feel like NoA should've called it a "Three-Pack Set" instead of "Season Pass" so people didn't kneejerk at the term.

Foshy

UK press release

The "discounted" price is already higher than the normal US one though. And after that it gets even worse.

disco

Had this game launched late Summer/early Autumn last year like originally planned - the DLC wouldn't have been available till later or not at all. I recon this is what they were doing for the past 8 months or so.

JoeM86

My big issue with DLC is that if you're into physical media having a good portion of your game contents only available online makes it tenuous if a platform holder goes out of business. From an archival and collection perspective it's detrimental. No longer do you have the full game on your cart or disc.

It's Nintendo. They'll have been around for 125 years as of this September. They're going nowhere.

The "discounted" price is already higher than the normal US one though. And after that it gets even worse.

Different economies. Plus UK price is post-20% tax. US price is pre-tax.

Kazerei

Banned

DAY 1

I think they mean "get with the times" in terms of online infrastructure, account management, that sort of stuff.

Not like this :<

Didn't even notice Gold Mario in the original announcement and holy crap is this a galaxy themed level?

CMM_3DS_MarioGolfWorldTour_Course16a_mediaplayer_large.png

How cool would it be if you could hit it onto those planetoids and instead of crossing a bridge over water like in real golf, you use that star to fly to where your ball went???

CoolS

Why is day 1 DLC a problem when the base game is fully featured and contains everything expected, while the DLC are just extras? Am I missing something? I thought people complained when devs took out expected content and decided to sell it as DLC.

Because they could have included it for free!

I get both sides. On the one hand the conent is already done, so they might as well include it. On the other I can't blame Nintendo for wanting to make extra money with content that goes well above what the normally deliver in Mario Golf games.

Top Bottom