• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

wowfactor said:
a stolen pic from b3d

*low quality pic*

Let the fight continued. :D
These screens really make both versions out to look worse than they are- they're terribly compressed. The 360 shadow dithering isn't noticeable in motion, just as the blur in the PS3 version becomes less apparent while moving.

Honestly, quit posting shitty screencaps and go try both versions for yourselves. Bickering about things that you haven't experienced firsthand is pointless. I own both versions and think they look great, but the 360 version edges out the PS3 one slightly due to better antialiasing and sharpness.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ozymandias said:
Sorry if I'm being dense, but it's not clear whether you tried to capture over HDMI? I had thought that the PS3 only enables HDCP on Blu-Ray playback, and not game output. I know the Xbox 360 works this way. Sorry if you've tried and I'm just wrong on this one... just curious.
Of course I tried. HDCP is on 100% of the time on a retail PS3. There is a way to disable it on a debug kit, but I'm not the one in the team who has one.

Speevy

Banned
What the heck is all this blurring you guys are talking about?

I'm not saying the game looks OMG amazing all the time, but good grief, blurry?

fse

GenericPseudonym said:
Shit its absolutely astounding that no review site mentioned how blurry the PS3 version is. I mean my god, the minor differences in lighting are practically unnoticeable but they never mentioned this. And I'm not just referring to this picture, either. The 360 dithering is absolute shit as well, but they did mention it, sort of. Overall, they are both very similar and very good though.

I've played both, and could tell which version is which if I had to. It is very noticeable to me (the blur, softness, whatever you call it).

Brashnir

Jeseus said:
QuickTimePlayer2008-05-0222-20-02-5.png

Good shot, but the best way to test draw distance would be to get up as high as the chopper can go on both versions, right at the edge of the map, and see how far the draw distance is on both. Obviously it would have to be a clear day on both to get a fair comparison. I'd suggest doing it over the Northwest corner of the map. When I get home, I'll try it, but I don't have both versions.

I did notice that when I flew a helicopter up above the Empire State Building, I could look around in all directions and see the entire map. (360 version). I imagine this is the same on PS3, but the draw distance from there (roughly the middle of the map) maxes out at only half of the possible maximum distance if you were looking corner-to-corner.

UncleGuito said:
After spending more time with both versions, I'm pretty convinced that the 360 version looks a tad better (I own both versions). In the 360 version, the cars have less aliasing and the background draw distance has less blurring. Also, in cutscenes, you can notice more detail on the character model. I'm not sure if it's because the textures are better (I doubt this is the case), or just because the 360 version has more defined edges (most likely due to the higher resolution). The PS3 version definitely has better shadows/lighting, though, and has less popin.

LoL, you are so funny, change the version back and forth, how can you play game like that? :lol :lol It will ruin your game experience at all. Choose one and play it to dead. you will more happy than now.

Forsete

Gold Member
GenericPseudonym said:
Shit its absolutely astounding that no review site mentioned how blurry the PS3 version is. I mean my god, the minor differences in lighting are practically unnoticeable but they never mentioned this. And I'm not just referring to this picture, either. The 360 dithering is absolute shit as well, but they did mention it, sort of. Overall, they are both very similar and very good though.

The PS3 version isnt as blurry as those pics though. Just look at the HUD, that does not look right, it has been de-interlaced.

From component to my capture card.
BxROqAZXY.jpg

rpsQFGnkU.jpg

vULqsDVmu.jpg

When there is strong light the game uses Blooming. The night shots are very sharp looking.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You are acting as if the blur is a bad thing. I absolutely love the strong depth of field used in this game.

Your shots demonstrate why I love the way the PS3 version looks. It has such a soft, warm appearance. Driving around at sunset is awe inspriring at times.

SMZC

I bought the PS3 version and it annoys me how blurry the overall game looks. Is this an issue in the 360 version as well?

iceatcs

I love blurry, maybe it is because I use glasses - things look bit normal.

But it wasn't bad blur tho, I think it is depend how big, and what TV. It will look little better, if you have all the resolution tick on. Leave 1080p only can cause more blurry.

dark10x

SMZC said:
I bought the PS3 version and it annoys me how blurry the overall game looks. Is this an issue in the 360 version as well?
It's not as blurry, but it has a different look in its place (fuzzy, dithered).

The blur is intentional, but I can see why some folks wouldn't like it.

Mash

dark10x said:
It's not as blurry, but it has a different look in its place (fuzzy, dithered).

The blur is intentional, but I can see why some folks wouldn't like it.

I guess it's like personal taste for the haze effect on san andreas, I'd always disable it on PC I just didn't like the effect.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Forsete said:
The PS3 version isnt as blurry as those pics though. Just look at the HUD, that does not look right, it has been de-interlaced.

When there is strong light the game uses Blooming. The night shots are very sharp looking.

Frankly, if you told me they were 360 shots, I would have agreed, as (barring the shadows, which are slightly smudgier on 360) that is pretty much how the game looks to me on my 360 version. That comparison shot above from B3D is atrocious quality, with either dodgy compression or some shit going on, just look at the mini-map, on both PS3/360 the circle is almost perfect, and I haven't noticed that much jaggies either, bad form.

jett

D-Member
TheIroning said:
are there any pics of gta iv running on a CRT in SD about?

I'd like to see them, too. Looking at these HD captures...it probably must not be a pretty sight. Being a SD gamer...this thread is actually turning me off from buying the game :p

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Any footage of the PS3 shadowing technique? It's really poor on the 360. I can grab a small video if someone wants to see the dithering/jittering and compare/contrast to PS3.

When you pull the camera out to overhead it looks terrible.

jett said:
I'd like to see them, too. Looking at these HD captures...it probably must not be a pretty sight. Being a SD gamer...this thread is actually turning me off from buying the game :p

Someone told me that it prefers the look of the game in SD.
I tried it and it looks nice, it seems to me that the fps is smoother in SD but I could be wrong.

womp

kiUNiT said:
There's nothing to fight about, Rockstar did a great job on both systems just like IW did with COD4. Enjoy one of the best games ever made guys, 360 and PS3 owners have nothing to fight over here it's Wii only owners that should be jealous.

You obviously don't play a lot of games.

Honestly as a Wii60 owner I am having more fun with Mario Kart Wii online at the moment (Having gotten both games on the same day)...I only say that due to your Wii trolling and maybe also because I am finding the GTA hype insanely rediculous.

That said, there is nothing to be jealous about...these are f'ing video games, get over the stigma that some gamers are better than others and just have fun with what you have.

Forsete said:

http://pici.se/pictures/BxROqAZXY.jpg

http://pici.se/pictures/rpsQFGnkU.jpg

http://pici.se/pictures/vULqsDVmu.jpg

the IQ looks the same on my TV. Now I don't feel so bad. :lol

EDIT-wow, Wax Free. Those are nice.

Forsete

Gold Member
BeeDog said:
EDIT: and maybe not as "smooth" as those pictures suggest.

The component connection blurrs the images a tad. On my Bravia the component input looks softer than the HDMI-input.

b6c090c334.jpg

Great clothes, where did you get those? :)

dark10x

It's just a shame this game is unable to run at a solid framerate. If this were running at a solid 30 fps, it would easily stand as one of the best looking games yet released.

Greg

BenjaminBirdie said:
God damn, seriously, this game looks so phenomenal in the daytime, even in SD.
What the fuck - maybe it's just the angle/time of day/my copy fails to let me play, but that particular picture looks better than mine does in HD. :lol

Greg said:
What the fuck - maybe it's just the angle/time of day/my copy fails to let me play, but that particular picture looks better than mine does in HD. :lol

It's all about moments, time of day, setting, etc. You'll just hit a point where its the right time of day and you're surrounded by lusciously colored and rendered bodegas and nail salons and some beat up rides are driving by, and the sun hits your jacket in just the right way and, for just that moment, it's the best looking game you've ever seen.

dark10x

Greg said:
It's a camera snapshot.

The 720p shots above it are actual direct feed shots that represent how the game is supposed to look.

I actually tried it in 480p, however, just to see if the framerate improved but that was not the case. Framerate remains the same. The image quality is REALLY bad in 480p, however (on an HDTV).

BTW, does anyone get a Wreckless vibe from some of the visuals? I mean, obviously this is the more advanced game, but there's something about the lighting and colors that looks similar to Wreckless. I remember back in 2002 dreaming of the day when we would have a GTA game that looked as good or better than Wreckless. I'm glad that day is finally here.

Here's some reminders...

wreckless_screen004.jpg

wreckless_screen007.jpg

wreckless_screen008.jpg

wreckless_screen010.jpg

It's just a shame this game is unable to run at a solid framerate. If this were running at a solid 30 fps, it would easily stand as one of the best looking games yet released.

Seriously, I don't understand why some people think it's ugly in any manner. Considering the scope and intricacy of the game's environment, its graphics are really an accomplishment.

Greg

The only thing I can compare GTAIV to right now is the feeling you get when you listen to a new CD after listening to another one for a loooong time. The production of the new CD sounds shitty in comparison at first, but it really isn't... you just need to adjust to the sound.

And that's what I felt going from GT5:p to GTAIV. Not a bad looking game at all, but there is certainly an adjustment period before you come to accept the game.

womp

Shins said:
You obviously can't handle opinions.

The game hasn't even been out a week...I think calling a game the best game ever made takes time is all.

That said, you obviously can't handle my opinion.

kiUNiT

womp said:
You obviously don't play a lot of games.

Honestly as a Wii60 owner I am having more fun with Mario Kart Wii online at the moment (Having gotten both games on the same day)...I only say that due to your Wii trolling and maybe also because I am finding the GTA hype insanely rediculous.

That said, there is nothing to be jealous about...these are f'ing video games, get over the stigma that some gamers are better than others and just have fun with what you have.

Trolling the Wii? GTFOH dick read the post two after the one you quoted.

womp

kiUNiT said:
Trolling the Wii? GTFOH dick read the post two after the one you quoted.

Sorry I post in order as I see them.

I was probably a bit harsh with that and I apologize now that I look at it.

kiUNiT

womp said:
Sorry I post in order as I see them.

I was probably a bit harsh with that and I apologize now that I look at it.

NP I was just saying it was a must own game, simular to Wii Sports as I added in the next post. This gen if you can afford it there are must own games on every system.

womp

kiUNiT said:
NP I was just saying it was a must own game, simular to Wii Sports as I added in the next post. This gen if you can afford it there are must own games on every system.

Well, you are kind of stuck must owning Wii Sports though if you buy a Wii aren't you? :D

jedimike

dark10x said:
BTW, does anyone get a Wreckless vibe from some of the visuals? I mean, obviously this is the more advanced game, but there's something about the lighting and colors that looks similar to Wreckless. I remember back in 2002 dreaming of the day when we would have a GTA game that looked as good or better than Wreckless. I'm glad that day is finally here.

Definitely reminded me of Wreckless... from the looks to the feel of the driving. Hard to imagine that game is 6 years old. Thanks for taking some screens and bringing back some memories... Now, if we could only get a tank in GTA.

HokieJoe said:
Are the shadows being cast by the rail ties above being dithered on the road below Forsete?
Yes. Both versions have dithered shadows. However, the software upscale (and possibly a different method of dithering, per B3D forums) means the PS3 shadows are a bit softer-edged and don't flicker as much. The PS3 does not, however, have the texture dithering the 360 does, which seems to be an LOD effect and probably contributes to the "shimmering" complaints sometimes directed against the 360 version. This also may be due to the upscale blurring, but is more likely due to different technical solutions on the two platforms.

The crossties you circled at the top, though, are not what's casting that shadow. The shadow is of the vertical railing you can't really see above the crossties.

dark10x said:
It's a camera snapshot.

The 720p shots above it are actual direct feed shots that represent how the game is supposed to look.

I actually tried it in 480p, however, just to see if the framerate improved but that was not the case. Framerate remains the same. The image quality is REALLY bad in 480p, however (on an HDTV).

Here's some reminders...

[im]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/011102/wreck/wreckless_screen004.jpg[/img]
[im]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/011102/wreck/wreckless_screen007.jpg[/img]
[im]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/011102/wreck/wreckless_screen008.jpg[/img]
[im]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/011102/wreck/wreckless_screen010.jpg[/img]
What a visually impressive game. 2002? Wow.

GameGamer

dark10x said:

What happened to those programmers?

They were ahead of their time.

The game only needed a free roam option.

cameltoe

heres a little MP video I made this morning. Captured thru composite. Ps3 version.

http://media.putfile.com/GTA4-PS3-MP

You can clearly see it runs under 30 like all the time. Hell, only the footage at the end was close to a full server, but peds and traffic was on low...kinda takes the fun out of it..IMO

The vid uncompressed was 3gb....compressed down to 100mb, so quality was lost!

Despite the games flaws, the MP is sooo much fun.

Top Bottom