• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

cameltoe said:
heres a little MP video I made this morning. Captured thru composite. Ps3 version.

http://media.putfile.com/GTA4-PS3-MP

You can clearly see it runs under 30 like all the time. Hell, only the footage at the end was close to a full server, but peds and traffic was on low...kinda takes the fun out of it..IMO

The vid uncompressed was 3gb....compressed down to 100mb, so quality was lost!

Despite the games flaws, the MP is sooo much fun.
The PS3 version has a lot more hiccups in framerate than the 360 version (though the occasional stutters do still occur). There's also far less jaggies in 360 multiplayer.

antiloop

cameltoe said:
heres a little MP video I made this morning. Captured thru composite. Ps3 version.

http://media.putfile.com/GTA4-PS3-MP

You can clearly see it runs under 30 like all the time. Hell, only the footage at the end was close to a full server, but peds and traffic was on low...kinda takes the fun out of it..IMO

The vid uncompressed was 3gb....compressed down to 100mb, so quality was lost!

Despite the games flaws, the MP is sooo much fun.

That's nothing. I remember when I played GTA1/2 on LAN (10 Mbit switch) back in the days. My good old P200 MHz.

Oh my god@ the lag. The most horrible lag experience I had on that PC. :)

Still the mp was sweet.

qirex99

Banned
dark10x said:
I
BTW, does anyone get a Wreckless vibe from some of the visuals? I mean, obviously this is the more advanced game, but there's something about the lighting and colors that looks similar to Wreckless. I remember back in 2002 dreaming of the day when we would have a GTA game that looked as good or better than Wreckless. I'm glad that day is finally here.

Hell yeah I get the wreckless vibe. I remembered all the xbox junkies were hoping for a gta-style romp. However, when they got the car bash-a thon that was wreckless, the game got panned by critics.

Either way, its warmth and the use of depth blur and heat haze is a precursor to the graphics of GTA4...in the afternoon, on a sunny day.

derder

Talladega Knight said:
What a visually impressive game. 2002? Wow.

Wreckless was amazing, I played the game entirely because of the visuals. They even had built in filters to adjust the graphics that was normally reserved for aftereffects in photoediting software.

HokieJoe

Liabe Brave said:
Yes. Both versions have dithered shadows. However, the software upscale (and possibly a different method of dithering, per B3D forums) means the PS3 shadows are a bit softer-edged and don't flicker as much. The PS3 does not, however, have the texture dithering the 360 does, which seems to be an LOD effect and probably contributes to the "shimmering" complaints sometimes directed against the 360 version. This also may be due to the upscale blurring, but is more likely due to different technical solutions on the two platforms.

The crossties you circled at the top, though, are not what's casting that shadow. The shadow is of the vertical railing you can't really see above the crossties.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation and clarification. I haven't played the game so the cross ties seemed the likeliest source.

I've already posted this in the GTA 4 official thread, but I thought it might be slightly more pertinent here. Basically, I think something might be wrong with my 360, and I noticed it while playing GTA 4.
It was running perfectly fine yesterday. There weren't any horrible framerate problems, and the jaggies were mostly unnoticeable. But today, after switching my HDMI cable out for a component video cable, it's looked and performed horridly. While switching the cables, I was suspending the 360 in the air vertically, and I might have... I don't know... inadvertently waggled it a little while I was switching them, but I don't think that movement was nearly enough to damage it. Yet, the game looked and played starkly different in 720p over component video than it did in 720p over HDMI. It was blurry, I was constantly seeing objects pop-up, and the shadow dithering looked about 100 times worse. Occasionally, the framerate would slow down significantly, and at one point, the game stopped completely for a split second before returning to a normal frame rate. I tried using the HDMI cable again to see if switching the cables had caused the problem, even though I thought that seemed like a strange concept, but while my 360 was connected through HDMI, the game still seemed to perform differently than it had yesterday. The aliasing was much more prominent than it had been before, and again, the pop-up was very bad, although strangely enough, it wasn't as bad as it was while the 360 was connected through component video cables.
So, I have a few questions.
Is my 360 on its death bed?
If I am just imagining that it looks worse through HDMI than it did yesterday, then why is it that it's also performing blatantly horrible through component video cables? Why the hell would that make any difference whatsoever in image quality, let alone performance?

bigswords

beerbelly said:
Just watched bits and pieces. The subtle blur on the PS3 version is nauseating. It's hard to describe it.

What shadows are you referring to at the 1:50 mark?

The shadows from the train track. GT does a freeze comparison of it. But other then that it's pretty much the same for both.

beerbelly

Banned
bigswords said:
The shadows from the train track. GT does a freeze comparison of it. But other then that it's pretty much the same for both.

Ahh I see it now. Wow, that's a huge difference in shadows.

Orlics

bigmakstudios said:
I've already posted this in the GTA 4 official thread, but I thought it might be slightly more pertinent here. Basically, I think something might be wrong with my 360, and I noticed it while playing GTA 4.
It was running perfectly fine yesterday. There weren't any horrible framerate problems, and the jaggies were mostly unnoticeable. But today, after switching my HDMI cable out for a component video cable, it's looked and performed horridly. While switching the cables, I was suspending the 360 in the air vertically, and I might have... I don't know... inadvertently waggled it a little while I was switching them, but I don't think that movement was nearly enough to damage it. Yet, the game looked and played starkly different in 720p over component video than it did in 720p over HDMI. It was blurry, I was constantly seeing objects pop-up, and the shadow dithering looked about 100 times worse. Occasionally, the framerate would slow down significantly, and at one point, the game stopped completely for a split second before returning to a normal frame rate. I tried using the HDMI cable again to see if switching the cables had caused the problem, even though I thought that seemed like a strange concept, but while my 360 was connected through HDMI, the game still seemed to perform differently than it had yesterday. The aliasing was much more prominent than it had been before, and again, the pop-up was very bad, although strangely enough, it wasn't as bad as it was while the 360 was connected through component video cables.
So, I have a few questions.
Is my 360 on its death bed?
If I am just imagining that it looks worse through HDMI than it did yesterday, then why is it that it's also performing blatantly horrible through component video cables? Why the hell would that make any difference whatsoever in image quality, let alone performance?

Your 360 is probably dying.

Wow, I just adjusted the color settings in the display menu of GTA 4, what a difference. My TV is not calibrated maybe that's why I wasn't so thrilled when I first popped it in, but now the colors in the game look so much better.

tak

permutated said:
Sorry, I don't go to GT anymore, it's basically the source of fanboyism.
Yes, but I would rather have their comparisons then not have them. If they didn't do it, you know someone would do it with their cell phone camera and what type of misinformation that would spawn.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
bigswords said:

Looks like a slightly different time of day to me. If you look to the far right in the 360 side you can see the shadow much farther up on the sidewalk.

Oh man the explosions are much better on PS3. I'm not sure about the shadows though. Maybe they weren't there because the video was taken a different time of day in the X360 version? I'm just speculating...

edit: damn beaten

IMO the ps3 has the edge.
Better image quality, better shadow, better particles, better texture (the signs looks better), better sound, the HDR is sooo much better, the 360 has a weird color to it, the 360 load the level of detail sooner.

GameGamer said:
What happened to those programmers?

They were ahead of their time.

The game only needed a free roam option.

They're still around but no longer in game development per se. They work for a Japanese middleware company. One of them is amongst the most talented graphics programmers on the planet.

I own and have played both versions of GTA, and whoever says there is a difference in any of the two games need to get their mind, eyes, body, dick, soul, and everything else checked and rechecked...

Surfheart

Well I've played both versions extensively now and I have to say the framerate on the 360 version is quite a bit better than the ps3. It's not a matter of one version dropping frames in a certain situation either. The 360 version has a higher framerate almost all the time and when it does tank it never reaches the lows the ps3 hits.

It's a shame because I prefer the way the ps3 version looks.

Awntawn

I like how the PS3 version's visuals seem to have gradually gotten worse over time. Just three days ago, I was still being wowed by the graphics. This morning, imagine my surprise and disgust when I turned on my system and saw a low resolution PS2 game running at terrible framerates.

Honestly, I think we can safely say that we're starting to see the limit of the hardware here. It appears that a PS3 game can only manage to look good for about four days before the Cell starts running out of power.

beep beep beep beep

nofi

Awntawn said:
I like how the PS3 version's visuals seem to have gradually gotten worse over time. Just three days ago, I was still being wowed by the graphics. This morning, imagine my surprise and disgust when I turned on my system and saw a low resolution PS2 game running at terrible framerates.

Honestly, I think we can safely say that we're starting to see the limit of the hardware here. It appears that a PS3 game can only manage to look good for about four days before the Cell starts running out of power.

beep beep beep beep

Your post ran out of power after 4 words. Must be a co-incidence.

@Wreckless comments: God yes, absolutely, especially at night. The scene in Wreckless with the boat is still unbeaten, IMO, amazing stuff for the time.

MonkeyLicker said:
Looks like a slightly different time of day to me. If you look to the far right in the 360 side you can see the shadow much farther up on the sidewalk.
This. If you follow the shadows from earlier in the video it's incredibly obvious. You can even see the track shadow cast on the apartment to the right.

DrXym

bigswords said:
From the GT trailer.

PS3 has more detailed explosions
PS3 has more shadows (1 minute 50 second mark)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33470.html

PS3 is clearly softer but that appears to work in its favour for distant objects. The draw distance on shadows looks better. The 360 looks better for detail on in-focus objects. Not sure if explosions on the PS3 are better - perhaps they have more cloud and smoke effects.

I noticed one horrible pop-in on the PS3 for the Getalife building, but they never showed the same in the 360 so I doubt it was platform specific.

From playing the PS3 version, the most noticeable jaggies are in in near horizontal lines, such as the back of cars. Otherwise it looks pretty great. I still think it looks a little soft. I wonder how hard it would be for Rockstar to offer a patch that lets you choose a higher res over slightly lowered visuals. Or maybe refine their engine so it can render at 720p with no drop in visuals.

DrXym

Son of Godzilla said:
This. If you follow the shadows from earlier in the video it's incredibly obvious. You can even see the track shadow cast on the apartment to the right.

You can also see the mid to distant shadows suddenly change in the 360 part way along the road.

Pug

anotherworld said:
IMO the ps3 has the edge.
Better image quality, better shadow, better particles, better texture (the signs looks better), better sound, the HDR is sooo much better, the 360 has a weird color to it, the 360 load the level of detail sooner.

Better IQ on the PS3 version?? Err no the 360 version is sharper and less blurry and has less jaggies, the detail load in about the same on both versions.

pswii60

dark10x said:
BTW, does anyone get a Wreckless vibe from some of the visuals? I mean, obviously this is the more advanced game, but there's something about the lighting and colors that looks similar to Wreckless. I remember back in 2002 dreaming of the day when we would have a GTA game that looked as good or better than Wreckless. I'm glad that day is finally here.
Yeah, a long time before you actually :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10969021&postcount=132
pswii60 said:
The effect reminds me of Wreckless on Xbox 1.

Wreckless was a pretty poor effort of a game, but its lighting engine was way ahead of its time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Surfheart said:
Well I've played both versions extensively now and I have to say the framerate on the 360 version is quite a bit better than the ps3. It's not a matter of one version dropping frames in a certain situation either. The 360 version has a higher framerate almost all the time and when it does tank it never reaches the lows the ps3 hits.

I'm glad I purchased it only on PS3 then. I mean, the slightly higher framerate would be nice (though it still seems low to me), but the visual changes in the 360 version produce a less appealing visual package. The framerate on PS3 is not good by any means, but it is better than the PS2 games as well as stuff like Saint's Row. I actually popped in GTA3 yesterday just for kicks and the framerate feels much worse.

Had I owned both versions, I would have gone crazy trying to figure out which one I wanted to keep. I'll just deal with the framerate and continue.

Mash

dark10x said:
I actually popped in GTA3 yesterday just for kicks and the framerate feels much worse.

That's nice to know for when I can actually get a copy. If I'm playing games on my PC I'm pretty anal about the framerate, but on consoles it's never bothered me that much especially in GTA games. The only time I noticed the framerate in a GTA was in vice city when I used a code to spawn a tonne of gold buggy's. Awesome.

Leonidas

Surfheart said:

I had the opposite experience. I played it on a friend's PS3 and movement seems more fluid there. Both are far from stable but I like PS3 framerate more. Does it matter at all that my 360 is hooked with a component and his PS3 is with HDMI?

JRW

Leonidas said:
I had the opposite experience. I played it on a friend's PS3 and movement seems more fluid there. Both are far from stable but I like PS3 framerate more. Does it matter at all that my 360 is hooked with a component and his PS3 is with HDMI?

As long as both consoles are running the same res then it shouldnt matter, but It's possible his TV is blurring during motion more with component vs hdmi (ive seen that happen).

From my experiance 360's version runs at a higher max framerate and stays higher than PS3's most the time, I have both consoles connected with HDMI @ 720P.

Oni Jazar

bigswords said:

I just checked the comparison @ 1:47. The shadows are different because of the time of day. The PS3 version is closer to noon with the sun straight up. The 360 version has the sun more at an angle so you won't see as many shadows. You can see where it pauses that the shadows on the 360 version is more to the right.

On framerate, I haven't noticed any major differences in framerate b/w 360 & PS3.

Personally the major differences to my playtime with both has been more blur on PS3 & more pop in on the 360.

DeadGzuz

Banned
My buddy brought over his 360 version, I played for about 45 mins. Did some cheats, spawned the copter and flew around. I didn't notice any frame rate difference. The pop-in for smaller closer objects is worse, but nothing horrid. The dithering and subsequent shimmering is the worse offender, but the image is sharper. Someone else said it looked more PC-ish, which is a good observation.

It really comes down to trade offs on both systems, if you could take the best from both you would have a near perfect experience. It's a great game and owning it on either system is fine, the differences come down to nit picking.

JRW

It utterly amazes me that people claim the framerate is the same between both versions. perhaps they arent running the game @ 720p or 1080?

For example when indoors the 360 version is hitting well above 30fps, you can just see the extra smoothness in the framerate, yet on PS3 it seems to be capped at a max 30fps no matter what.

I suppose some people just cant see these differences as easily, But its certainly there.

stewacide

I'm having absolutely no framerate issues on the 360 at 4:3 480p
happy-smiley-566.gif
sad-smiley-362.gif
sad-smiley-363.gif

f@luS

More than a member.
JRW said:
I suppose some people just cant see these differences as easily, But its certainly there.
I may be one of the biggest framerate whore here , and it is not the same but both version have slowdowns. I havent played a lot yet (like 3h on 360 and 2h on ps3) but overall the framerate IS the same, slowdowns are just in different places
anyway , the framerate is the game is dissapointing and is bothering me.

tombur

stewacide said:
I'm having absolutely no framerate issues on the 360 at 4:3 480p
happy-smiley-566.gif
sad-smiley-362.gif
sad-smiley-363.gif

Im running on a 1280x1024 monitor, im pretty sure the 360 stretches 480p across the whole screen, aliasing looks shocking.

filopilo

JRW

f@luS said:
I may be one of the biggest framerate whore here , and it is not the same but both version have slowdowns. I havent played a lot yet (like 3h on 360 and 2h on ps3) but overall the framerate IS the same, slowdowns are just in different places
anyway , the framerate is the game is dissapointing and is bothering me.

Oh yea the game does have slow downs on both systems, no doubt there, But 360's *MAX* framerate is higher while PS3's is clearly capped.

However the framerate hasnt been a deal breaker for me on either system. The game does run noticabley smoother in 480i , at least on 360 version.. I played it on a friends 32" SDTV CRT. (havent tried PS3 @ 480i yet).

Esperado

shagg_187 said:
I own and have played both versions of GTA, and whoever says there is a difference in any of the two games need to get their mind, eyes, body, dick, soul, and everything else checked and rechecked...

The problem is that the differences are so subtle and unnoticeable that the trolls are having to reach to find key differences such as:

Nauseating Blur - I seem to remember playing games on my SD television that all looked like they were smeared with a thin layer of vaseline. I never got nausea from looking at that.

Shadows - Judging from the first video released, I'm pretty sure the position of the light hitting the buildings and subway moves in a way similar to our sun. If you go outside on a sunny day at 1pm and 6pm, the position of the shadows change. Who knows if even the positions of the sun at any given time are the same on both versions.

Top Bottom