• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

Hi thread.

I just went back and set up my colorimeter equipment again and took a full set of readings for 720p on my set. Everything looks very close to spec based on the readings and my naked eye. I'd say the PS3 version should have the color saturation left at 50% with the two settings above that set to near 100% to get the correct gamma/contrast. I don't think anyone can change my mind now either. So if you have a PS3+CRT+HDMI+Superwhite on then you might want to try the above settings.

Sorry to bring it up again, just wanted to give a little reconfirmation not that it matters. I just can't help but think this anomaly could drastically alter the opinions of a comparison.

Jeseus

QuickTimePlayer2008-05-0222-20-02-5.png

Blimblim

The Inside Track
konrad77 said:
Well, capture them with HDMI then. I guess most of the ps3 users connect their ps3 through the HDMI interface.
I'm not the one who decided it would be a great idea to force HDCP down everyone's throat even while playing games. It makes capturing footage from PS3 via HDMI just a tad more difficult.
Expect HDCP apologists in this thread within 15 minutes. There are people willing to defend Sony's (or MS of course) fucking terrible decisions even when there is *nothing* to defend. HDCP during bluray playback is something everyone is expecting and has no problem with (well, considering bluray's been cracked all over, it's just 100% useless now), but why it would be enabled during games is simply inexcusable.
So until Sony disables this, I and about everyone else will keep capturing via component. I could capture the 360 footage via HDMI and have better looking videos for the comparisons on the 360 side, but that simply wouldn't be fair.
And btw, while the PS3 and 360 component outputs vary (slightly), it's the developer's job to compensate for this and make the game look like they want it to on both platforms. See Assassin's Creed for what not to do, and Burnout Paradise for how to do it.
</rant>

cameltoe

okay, hows the MP frame rate on the 360. It is awful on the PS3. I mean, there are times when it drops below 20 for more then a few minutes, I tried leaving the area and was still shit ....and there were only 14 people playing, no cops medium traffic and peds.

dfyb

Banned
cameltoe said:
okay, hows the MP frame rate on the 360. It is awful on the PS3. I mean, there are times when it drops below 20 for more then a few minutes, I tried leaving the area and was still shit ....and there were only 14 people playing, no cops medium traffic and peds.
my framerate has never had any problems in multiplayer...

i'm on ps3

Raist

Banned
Blimblim said:
I'm not the one who decided it would be a great idea to force HDCP down everyone's throat even while playing games. It makes capturing footage from PS3 via HDMI just a tad more difficult.
Expect HDCP apologists in this thread within 15 minutes. There are people willing to defend Sony's (or MS of course) fucking terrible decisions even when there is *nothing* to defend. HDCP during bluray playback is something everyone is expecting and has no problem with (well, considering bluray's been cracked all over, it's just 100% useless now), but why it would be enabled during games is simply inexcusable.
So until Sony disables this, I and about everyone else will keep capturing via component. I could capture the 360 footage via HDMI and have better looking videos for the comparisons on the 360 side, but that simply wouldn't be fair.
And btw, while the PS3 and 360 component outputs vary (slightly), it's the developer's job to compensate for this and make the game look like they want it to on both platforms. See Assassin's Creed for what not to do, and Burnout Paradise for how to do it.
</rant>

Isn't capturing stuff from the HDMI out ok with a test unit ? I thought it was (IIRC TTP mentionned it)

sprocket

Banned
Mash said:
Good shot, I can't see any difference in that particular shot.

only that who ever made ran a de-interlace filter through the the ps3 side and did a blur on the 360 side. :lol

seriously people they both look outstanding. and play exactly the same.

After spending more time with both versions, I'm pretty convinced that the 360 version looks a tad better (I own both versions). In the 360 version, the cars have less aliasing and the background draw distance has less blurring. Also, in cutscenes, you can notice more detail on the character model. I'm not sure if it's because the textures are better (I doubt this is the case), or just because the 360 version has more defined edges (most likely due to the higher resolution). The PS3 version definitely has better shadows/lighting, though, and has less popin.

cameltoe

dfyb said:
my framerate has never had any problems in multiplayer...

i'm on ps3

you enjoy sub 30 fps then huh? EX. If you play TDM with 16 players med traffic and peds Colony Island I promise you, when the guns are a blazin, the frames hit the shitter...and stay there for more then a minute...On my PS3, the frames are never over 30..EVER!!

BboyDubC

Mash said:
Good shot, I can't see any difference in that particular shot.

You can't see the jaggies on the PS3 propeller, staring bright as day? The 360 one is smooth on the propellers. Definitely showing the better AA is on the 360 side.

qirex99

Banned
Jeseus said:

nice comparison. the light on the top of the PS3 copter looks pretty cool, but of course, the 360 version has the chopper at a different angle. (And the time of day seems diff too)

One thing that Cant be argued, is how jaggy the rotor blades are on the left image, while the right is very smooth.

btw, it still blows me away the amount of variation in IQ is introduced by time of day and weather. simply incredible!

Xdrive05

Multiplayer framerate seems worse than SP framerate on the 360 version too. There will be entire stretches where it's 20-ish if you get a lot of players in the same part of the city. Especially if you're in the Times Square area. However, if you're at the airport it seems like you can have as much going on as you want and the framerate is in the 40s or 50s.

Since we're mentioning it, does the PS3 version's framerate go way above 30fps sometimes too? On the 360 there are quite a few times where the fps is near 60, and it's very obvious. It's like there are certain conditions where the 30fps cap is removed. Usually it happens right after loading a save and it also happens a lot at night time. Also, indoor segments usually do that too.

zaidr

I'm at work, so its a nice distraction :D

But GTAIV = first thing back home!

Anyone else playing this version of GTA like a sane person? I haven't jacked single car yet, and I've already unlocked the second island...Maybe I'm taking more from the story than most people, but I'm honestly treating this with a kind of role playing attitude that I've never been able to accomplish in the other GTA's.

allreal

whoa at the explosion comparison. ps3 looks better imo. played 360 version felt glitchy (lotta noticeable texture popins and things getting stuck) one time i was posted up on a wall pushed r bumper to get out and was all of a sudden on another wall across, also.. fast car in the subway tunnel ) but was smoother it felt different in a weird way. i own the ps3 btw and have never experienced any of those listed above. sounds like im talking shit.....lol.

newsguy

CowboyAstronaut said:
Can't believe people are still bothering with comparisons when they could be playing the game :lol

Oh you didn't hear? This is possibly the worst, most hyped game ever. The only reason to own it is so that you have the right to bash it on the internets. Sure, playing it is ok, but pointing out flaws is so time consuming that who has time?

cameltoe

Xdrive05 said:
Multiplayer framerate seems worse than SP framerate on the 360 version too. There will be entire stretches where it's 20-ish if you get a lot of players in the same part of the city. Especially if you're in the Times Square area. However, if you're at the airport it seems like you can have as much going on as you want and the framerate is in the 40s or 50s.

Since we're mentioning it, does the PS3 version's framerate go way above 30fps sometimes too? On the 360 there are quite a few times where the fps is near 60, and it's very obvious. It's like there are certain conditions where the 30fps cap is removed. Usually it happens right after loading a save and it also happens a lot at night time. Also, indoor segments usually do that too.

the frames on the PS3 or the 360 for that matter, never come close to 60. You are so used to 25 FPS that when it hits 30 your mind explodes!!

</rant>

Sorry if I'm being dense, but it's not clear whether you tried to capture over HDMI? I had thought that the PS3 only enables HDCP on Blu-Ray playback, and not game output. I know the Xbox 360 works this way. Sorry if you've tried and I'm just wrong on this one... just curious.

I hadn't tried the 360 multiplayer until now- it's definitely better looking and smoother than the PS3 version. There are far less jaggies and I haven't had any framerate dips yet, even with constant explosions.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Too bad the old thread was closed. It's funny to see idiots eat so much crow.

As someone who bought and is playing the PS3 version, what I played of the 360 version earlier today honestly looked a bit better to me.

now back to the game.

MonkeyLicker

Truespeed said:
I'd ask you to elaborate, but you wouldn't have the technical aptitude to do so, idiot.

Look, one of the idiots have shown up!

Yes, I would have the "technical aptitude" but I'm pretty sure you care little for those pesky
"Facts". Just stick your head back in the sand and let the adults talk, son.

cameltoe

UncleGuito said:
I hadn't tried the 360 multiplayer until now- it's definitely better looking and smoother than the PS3 version. There are far less jaggies and I haven't had any framerate dips yet, even with constant explosions.

the point is, the game runs sub 30fps all the time......large explosions dont hurt much, more than 10 players all within a 2 block radius = <20 FPS

Truespeed

MonkeyLicker said:
Look, one of the idiots have shown up!

Yes, I would have the "technical aptitude" but I'm pretty sure you care little for those pesky
"Facts". Just stick your head back in the sand and let the adults talk, son.

Nice comeback, idiot. I didn't realize a barley legible 2 sentence reply needed so much editing. I think I can sum up the foundation of your technical argument by a simple line count comparison. To the idiot, since 720 > 640 it must therefore be greater. If that is indeed your argument, then you're indeed a diseased sewer rat that needs to be put out of its misery with a hammer.

MonkeyLicker

Truespeed said:
Nice comeback, idiot. I didn't realize a barley legible 2 sentence reply needed so much editing. I think I can sum up the foundation of your technical argument by a simple line count comparison. To the idiot, since 720 > 640 it must therefore be greater. If that is indeed your argument, then you're indeed a diseased sewer rat that needs to be put out of its misery with a hammer.

I love you...always have.

Seriously though, eat up.

EatCrow_thumb.jpg

andrewfee said:
Sorry, there's no way your display is properly calibrated if you feel that brightness and contrast need to be cranked up. It completely screws up the image in the game.

On my CRT I need to turn up contrast, but that's just because it's dying and the brightness control on the screen can't get set any higher. Turning up brightness in the game breaks the HDR.

edit

That did the trick. Surprised no one told me. Turns out when I calibrated my tv I used YPBR with superwhite on since the patterns were on Bluray. Games are RGB and since I just finished re-calibrating the set I must have accidentally ticked RGB to full by accident. I never noticed because my videos are output YPBR on the PS3. Brightness is now back to 50% but, I still prefer the contrast up which could be because I had my set calibrated while RGB was set to full.

iceatcs

Yeah I know, some games doesn't look good with game mode setting on.

But for this game, it seem to best to switch on.

kiUNiT

wowfactor said:
a stolen pic from b3d

vsapril29large4.jpg

Let the fight continued. :D

There's nothing to fight about, Rockstar did a great job on both systems just like IW did with COD4. Enjoy one of the best games ever made guys, 360 and PS3 owners have nothing to fight over here it's Wii only owners that should be jealous.

kiUNiT said:
There's nothing to fight about, Rockstar did a great job on both systems just like IW did with COD4. Enjoy one of the best games ever made guys, 360 and PS3 owners have nothing to fight over here it's Wii only owners that should be jealous.
Was that last part necessary? Fuck dude.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Talladega Knight said:

I, as a Wii owner, am jealous, and I'll fully admit it. I'm getting a PS3 mostly just to play this game.

wowfactor said:
a stolen pic from b3d

vsapril29large4.jpg

Let the fight continued. :D

Shit its absolutely astounding that no review site mentioned how blurry the PS3 version is. I mean my god, the minor differences in lighting are practically unnoticeable but they never mentioned this. And I'm not just referring to this picture, either. The 360 dithering is absolute shit as well, but they did mention it, sort of. Overall, they are both very similar and very good though.

kiUNiT

Talladega Knight said:
Not ment as a slight towards them. Ment to say they should not miss GTA4 I would say the same about Wii Sports to 360 or PS3 owners without a Wii.

kiUNiT

GSG Flash said:
I, as a Wii owner, am jealous, and I'll fully admit it. I'm getting a PS3 mostly just to play this game.

See Talladega Knight, GSG Flash try and get a 80g if you can find one.

GSG Flash

GenericPseudonym said:
Shit its absolutely astounding that no review site mentioned how blurry the PS3 version is. I mean my god, the minor differences in lighting are practically unnoticeable but they never mentioned this. And I'm not just referring to this picture, either. The 360 dithering is absolute shit as well, but they did mention it, sort of. Overall, they are both very similar and very good though.

The blur on the PS3 version isn't that bad when you see the game in motion. In fact, I couldn't even tell the game was blurry when I played it.

GSG Flash said:
The blur on the PS3 version isn't that bad when you see the game in motion. In fact, I couldn't even tell the game was blurry when I played it.

Its the same with the dithering, but still review sites take screenshots, they should know the differences.

GSG Flash

GenericPseudonym said:
Its the same with the dithering, but still review sites take screenshots, they should know the differences.

I wouldn't doubt it. I know the dithering in RE4 for the Cube wasn't even close to as bad in motion as it seemed in screenshots.

Top Bottom