• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Call of Duty: Blacksmith (Sledgehammer, Trailer May 4, first screen)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Reminds me of Dead Space 2
izLEKkFzFBh2S.gif

That and the metal things on the glove.

I wonder of Acti might give Sledgehammer Games the chance to make a Dead Space spiritual successor in the future (they have 3 years so they can handle another game on the side).

iMax

It is Advanced Warfare.

They do own the trademark for that. And future warfare.

The whole 'new era' thing is bugging me though. That seems to be a painfully obvious hint that it's set in a time we probably wouldn't expect, at least not from the teasers that went out today.

Didn't Microsoft just announced a couple years ago that they signed a new DLC deal with COD? I would think they still have at least a couple more years on that deal.

No matter how good it looks if its the same ol run and gun gameplay I will pass. I really wish they would make it a more strategic game (think rainbow six vegas) where you could actually take cover. Having been in the military for 9+ years the idea of running blindly into an open area with multiple people shooting is a bit laughable.

I don't expect a publisher to fund a $100 million Call of Duty game that has tactical gameplay. Any semblance of reality seems to be opposite of this franchise's design philosophy. Tactical shooters died a while ago. Even one that was kickstarted turned out terrible in execution.

I bought a used copy of Ghosts from GameStop to play the campaign and spend a weekend with the MP, but then I returned it after 7 days for a refund because I didn't want to spend any more money on the last gen. Since I'm buying a PS4 or Xbox One after E3, I'm excited to pick up a personal copy of this year's installment so I can play it whenever I want.

They do own the trademark for that. And future warfare.

The whole 'new era' thing is bugging me though. That seems to be a painfully obvious hint that it's set in a time we probably wouldn't expect, at least not from the teasers that went out today.
I believe 'new era' is not so much 'we're now 50 years in the future check our pew pew lasers', rather that warfare has now totally evolved and we're no longer in the era of a nations having their own army to fight their wars but instead PMCs who do the fighting for them.

Hopefully this means it isn't the USA vs. the world like normal.

And Advanced Warfare because the Google+ COD page's header image has a filename of COD_AW_Google_Header.jpg.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...4=1,00670000ff97ffff/COD_AW_Google_Header.jpg

Yeah, I feel everything looks good except the skin shading. Looks a bit concrete.

Yeah, it is an overall good looking game, hopefully they can get some subsurface scattering in before launch. Nice to see that all the money CoD makes is finally actually being put into the games.

iMax

I believe 'new era' is not so much 'we're now 50 years in the future check our pew pew lasers', rather that warfare has now totally evolved and we're no longer in the era of a nations having their own army to fight their wars but instead PMCs who do the fighting for them.

Hopefully this means it isn't the USA vs. the world like normal.

And Advanced Warfare because the Google+ COD page's header image has a filename of COD_AW_Google_Header.jpg.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...4=1,00670000ff97ffff/COD_AW_Google_Header.jpg

Thinking about it, it could just mean 'new console era' :/

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If this is still a rock solid 60fps it looks pretty impressive from that screen. Actually pumped for this issue and trailer.

potam

Banned
HEY TROOPER, PUT ON THIS 150 POUND ARMOR + AMMO + WEAPON + WHATEVER OTHER GEAR YOU HAVE. OH, YOU'RE SLOW AND MOVE AROUND ALL CLUNKY-LIKE? FUCK YOU IT LOOKS COOL. IT'S THE FUTURE. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT COMBAT EFFECTIVENESS.

Remember, the 5 principles of patrolling:

Planning
Recon
Security
Control
Common Sense
Look Cool

Parablank

Day 1
as usual for me

Looking really forward to this iteration, it's going to be nice to get a new company/perspective into the CoD rotation

HEY TROOPER, PUT ON THIS 150 POUND ARMOR + AMMO + WEAPON + WHATEVER OTHER GEAR YOU HAVE. OH, YOU'RE SLOW AND MOVE AROUND ALL CLUNKY-LIKE? FUCK YOU IT LOOKS COOL. IT'S THE FUTURE. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT COMBAT EFFECTIVENESS.
The whole point of research into military exoskeletons right now is so soldiers can carry more gear without feeling the increased weight. The gear may well weigh in excess of 150 pounds, but an exoskeleton should ideally make it feel like 40.

GYNGA

Remember, the 5 principles of patrolling:

Planning
Recon
Security
Control
Common Sense
Look Cool
Um, have you ever heard of exoskeletons and their purposes?

Didn't Microsoft just announced a couple years ago that they signed a new DLC deal with COD? I would think they still have at least a couple more years on that deal.
Yes, but they didn't specify for how long. On previous occasions they did and Activision put our press releases for it, but not on this occasion.

Might mean a short deal.

potam

Banned
The whole point of research into military exoskeletons right now is so soldiers can carry more gear without feeling the increased weight. The gear may well weigh in excess of 150 pounds, but an exoskeleton should ideally make it feel like 40.

Exoskeletons, as far as I'm aware, are mainly being eyed for logistical purposes, e.g. dudes working in the motor pool carrying huge MRAP tires around, or unloading/loading heavy equipment. I don't think there are any immediate plans for any combat applications.

With that said, the screenshot doesn't indicate any exoskeletons. It does indicate that their art department and whoever ok'd that design are fucking stupid. CoD has always had some sort of spec ops/ultimate warrior fetish, which turns into dudes having 01943581985 mags on his chest and stupid shit all over.

edit: well it does look like I was wrong. I had the old Raytheon exoskeleton in my head, but apparently there is another version designed for combat. Either way my point stands: no soldier likes heavy gear, and I doubt any special operations member is gonna be like "yeah just load me up with heavy shit, whatevs"

Looks like they may be trying to go further into the future. Doesn't matter much if they still keep the same boring modern weapons like usual and toss LED's all over them.

kuYuri

Kevin Spacey as a character (antagonist?) in the new CoD?

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/kevin-spacey-call-of-duty-1201169428/

Kevin Spacey, who is a pro at playing slithery characters, could be making his first villainous turn in a video game, namely Activision’s blockbuster “Call of Duty” franchise.

A short audio clip made the rounds online this week, in which Spacey can be clearly heard saying, “And you think you can just march into these countries based on some fundamentalist religious principles, drop a few bombs, topple a dictator and start a democracy? Give me a break.”

Listen to the clip here:

He doesn’t have the Southern drawl that he has in “House of Cards,” ruling out the character he plays in the Netflix show, or the sequel to “Horrible Bosses” — at least we hope not. Given what he says, it’s also not likely to be from his stage work in “Richard III.”

But when running the audio file through a sonic visualizer (yes, we’re that nerdy), something very interesting pops up: the image of a man, looking like Spacey, holding a military weapon (see below).

Ashtar

Exoskeletons, as far as I'm aware, are mainly being eyed for logistical purposes, e.g. dudes working in the motor pool carrying huge MRAP tires around, or unloading/loading heavy equipment. I don't think there are any immediate plans for any combat applications.

With that said, the screenshot doesn't indicate any exoskeletons. It does indicate that their art department and whoever ok'd that design are fucking stupid. CoD has always had some sort of spec ops/ultimate warrior fetish, which turns into dudes having 01943581985 mags on his chest and stupid shit all over.

edit: well it does look like I was wrong. I had the old Raytheon exoskeleton in my head, but apparently there is another version designed for combat. Either way my point stands: no soldier likes heavy gear, and I doubt any special operations member is gonna be like "yeah just load me up with heavy shit, whatevs"
An exo skeleton would allow you to carry more gear without having to carry the weight yourself. I watched a video of an athletic trainer vs a dude in exo suit walking up the stair of a stadium the purpose overall is that if the machine can carry more than the person is less fatigue/ can go faster

So this new Call of Duty might have Idris Elba (as the lead) and Kevin Spacey (as the villain)?

What the hell happened with Call of Duty: Ghosts' cast selection? All that got was Brandon Routh and Stephen Lang...It's like that CoD was destined to be half-assed from the start

This must be the Call of Duty that Ghosts' should have been. I'm cautiously interested.

Looks good though I don't trust in anything changing substantially. Three developers taking turns or not, CoD has a formula that the developers have to stick to. Besides BLOPS 2 already did that future shit. Adding mechs for single player (6-7 hours max vs the YMMV MP) isn't that big a deal especially if they don't do anything special like Titanfall's pilots/titans. Like CoD would have vertically focused maps anyway lol. At this point the biggest draws for me are potentially Elba and Spacey and a competent story.

Really it depends if it works as advertised. If the suit effectively lowers the burden on soldiers during combat, I'm sure they'll love it to pieces.

Top Bottom