• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Did Bravely Default drop hard like most JRPG's or is it still selling decently?

Not surprising, probably why the chartz site resorts to seemingly throwing darts around a room to get their numbers.

It's funny, I've actually been keeping an eye on chartz to see how well it would line up for this month and throughout April they kept posting Xbone selling better than PS4, in fact they would post both of them over 50k a week. obviously that didn't turn out quite as they thought... 200K+ is kinda far off from 115k.

nib95

Banned
Eh people were stating the opposite just earlier on in this very thread. It just surprises how misleading and outright wrong those analyses were. I thought it would be closer than that. I mean Microsoft hid that version like a red headed step child and even the XB1 version sold better this month (mostly due to bundles).

Counting bundled software sales of Titanfall is somewhat dubious, given the game is thrown in FREE with the console. But Titanfall is perhaps the most hyped and advertised next gen game yet, perhaps in a long while even. Irrespective of the fact that Microsoft were focusing on advertising the Xbox One version, most still knew the 360 version existed, and Microsoft's marketing indirectly advertised the other versions too.

Also the 360 has a what, 50m(?) install base in the US, it shouldn't be much of a surprise it beat a far less substantial and less marketed game, of a much more niche genre, that had an install base of 3.5m(?). A lot of people actually predicted the 360 version of Titanfall would outsell the Xbox One version in it's first month, so it's not much of a surprise both would beat out InFamous's first month.

To be honest, earlier I actually forgot this was the 360 versions first month, which explains the enormous sales gulf between it and the Xbox One version.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wow if only we could make threads over leaked #s... oh well. Still I love saying

In April Yoshi's Island outsold Infamous Second Son and Titanfall XB1 unbundled =P.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, PS4 really sold 199 - 202k in April. There's only one conclusion from this

Again, I know, but PS4 suffered so much from supply shortages in February, after the very good January it had (where it also suffered shortages, but much less intense problems on that front). Maybe it's better to use an example by numbers to explain what I mean.

In the past few years, January-to-February meant a 40% increase in weekly sales. This year, it's been even bigger, probably due to the awful climatic conditions at the beginning of the year. While March is always lower than February (but higher than January, in some cases even not that much - always speaking about average weekly sales - ).
What this means in PS4 case? Let's use January result as baseline. Despite being influenced by shortages, it was still a month were PS4 was available somewhere (no Amazon, Best Buy, other online stores, but there were stores with the console in stock, even if not so much) and where it sold very well (especially given how the rest sold).
This is what the situation would have been without shortages in February

January - 271,000
February - 380,000 - 400,000 (40 to 50% increase from Jan to Feb)
March - 371,000 (better than January, lower than February)

Without shortages, PS4 could have sold between 110,000 to 130,000 more units in February. These should have been lost sales, customers who didn't buy the console due to stock not being there and were waiting for the new availability, "suppressed demand". But, again, February was the month where PS4 suffered immensely, due to February's production problems (units allocated for Japanese launch, Chinese's New Year festivities), and where both stores and online sites had few allotments (with Amazon having some for just a few days). March, instead, saw a huge increase in stock for the platform, with not just Amazon having it in stock, but also other major online retailers, as well as many stores, with some stories of sold outs here and there, but far more availability than February. And not just at the end of the month (like UK, instead). So, a good part of that "suppressed demand" should have been there: not the whole 110,000-130,000, since among them there's certainly people who decides to wait more (which means representation in April as well) / people who decides to buy something else / people not buying anything anymore due to lack of money compared to when he wanted to, but something like 60,000- 70,000 in addition to what would have been the "normal" March number, given the trajectory. 371,000 + 60,000-70,000 = 430,000 - 440,000. But it didn't happen. Where are those potential sales? Is it possible that they never existed? Or maybe March's result already includes part of the unsatisfied demand in February? I don't know, but IMHO March's PS4 numbers means that sales could slow more than what we thought.

April has always been a month were sales went way down compared to March, normally 40%, if not 50% (lower amount of weeks, but also lower average weekly sales). Still, in the other post, I said my prediction for PS4 in April is 200,000 - 220,000, which would mean between 40% and 46% decrease from March. This is in-between my optimistic possibility for the console (240,000 - 250,000) which would mean selling more than "just well" and reflect "suppressed demand" still to satisfy, after all, and my pessimistic possibility (175,000 - 185,000) which would mean that March result already included that and, then, demand is not big anymore. As said, I tend to think it'll do the in-between results.

Posted on April 19th.

Feels good, man :D

LOCK

Wanna talk about the opposite of Yoshi and holdovers?

There isn't a Souls SKU to be found in either Xbox or ps3 top 10

All the fans of the series bought it the first month. Well at least they have a base line for how much it will sell each entry....lol

d0nnie

Banned
Microsoft will attempt the 'sandwich' tactic to get people to forget this news.

Phase 1: Announce the $399 Kinectless Xbox One
Phase 2: NPD where they get embarrassed
Phase 3: Some news about Halo

Result: Hey there's a new cheaper Xbox One SKU coming soon, and that new Halo game sounds awesome!

This sounds very logical. I agree.

Busaiku

Assuming Kirby Triple Deluxe doesn't completely drop off this month, it's actually doing well.

I've got no clue as to how Kirby's Return to Dreamland debuted.
Kirby's Epic Yarn started at 100k, and it had about 2-3 weeks.
We didn't get Kirby Super Star Ultra numbers, but it was the 15th best SKU, while the 10th was 158k.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Anyone who says my name and the "L" word in the same sentance should get a red card. Twice and a ban!

I wonder how Reaper of Souls is doing digitally?
PC retail is boring but diablo 3 was an effing monster, like over 1.5mm.
Reaper is like, that minus a whole digit.

Anyone who says my name and the "L" word in the same sentance should get a red card. Twice and a ban!

Last we heard was 2.7M.

Three times and a perma-ban

Busaiku

Also, Conception II seems pretty good for a non-Shin Megami Tensei Atlus game.
31k is higher than stuff like Etrian Odyssey and Code of Princess, isn't it?

People think the PS4 did bad?

200k is a notable drop off from March (65k pw -- 50k pw iirc) but looking at the 360, it had 4 years that had numbers below 200k (lets ignore 2013 since last gen seems to have collapsed spectacularly).

I don't think theres a problem here.

XB1 on the other hand......just wow. 115k is baaaad. Thats nearing PS3 levels, I can see why they quickly announced the cut as it was clearly meant to be announced at E3.

360:

April 2006 - 295K

April 2007 - 174K

April 2008 - 188K

April 2009 - 175K

April 2010 - 185K

April 2011 - 297K

April 2012 - 236K

April 2013 - 130K

Xbox One:

April 2014 - 115K

Xbox 360 has never managed such a low number for April.

Nintendo family (WiiU+Wii+3DS)< PS4

Nintendo is some seriosu trouble. They have imploded. WiiU is doing disastrously, and 3DS is collapsing rapidly. Can you imagine what 2015 will be like? Welp. Get working on that 3DS successor.

Honestly I don't really get the pessimism at this point on next-gen.

Yeah, I can get why people would be sweating out how things will be selling in July.

However, the software releasing this Fall has quite possibly the largest raw selling potential in the history of Xbox/PlayStation, at least in terms of big hitters.

I get that a lot of these games don't really appeal to GAF, but the sheer number of titles releasing with 5-20+ million sales potential is kind of astonishing.

Are a lot of these cross-gen? Definitely, but given how things have been skewing so far, along with the fact that some of them are next-gen only, I don't really see a huge issue.

To note, this is true even if we assume both first parties sell zero copies of any games this Fall.

Exactly my point of view. This is going to be a great year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Counting bundled software sales of Titanfall is somewhat dubious, given the game is thrown in FREE with the console. But Titanfall is perhaps the most hyped and advertised next gen game yet, perhaps in a long while even. Irrespective of the fact that Microsoft were focusing on advertising the Xbox One version, most still knew the 360 version existed, and Microsoft's marketing indirectly advertised the other versions too.

Also the 360 has a what, 50m(?) install base in the US, it shouldn't be much of a surprise it beat a far less substantial and less marketed game, of a much more niche genre, that had an install base of 3.5m(?). A lot of people actually predicted the 360 version of Titanfall would outsell the Xbox One version in it's first month, so it's not much of a surprise both would beat out InFamous's first month.

The 360 version was delayed twice and virtually no advertising of the game mentioned it. It didn't even have a beta.

This is in comparison to Sony's biggest exclusive for a long while that was advertised a heck of lot. In the UK I saw more Infamous advertisements than I ever saw of Titanfall let alone the existence of the 360 version (in which I have no idea how the non dedicated would find out about aside from seeing it in a shop), which was Microsoft's dirty secret, they wanted no one to know about. Regardless how hyped titanfall was (which many people even consider it's sales very mediocre). It just seems strange the it's 360 version outsold ISS launch month in the US.

Last gen software sales have also fallen off a cliff..

Eusis

Wanna talk about the opposite of Yoshi and holdovers?

There isn't a Souls SKU to be found in either Xbox or ps3 top 10
Disappointing, I had hoped for more long tail sales.

But then maybe that's exactly what we'll get out of PC.
It's funny, I've actually been keeping an eye on chartz to see how well it would line up for this month and throughout April they kept posting Xbone selling better than PS4, in fact they would post both of them over 50k a week. obviously that didn't turn out quite as they thought... 200K+ is kinda far off from 115k.
What IS with people predicting so highly for the Xbox? I can see it before launch, but this really just looks like swapping places with Sony, except without taking Europe and PROBABLY not taking Japan.
Not unlike the average GAFfer making predictions.
At least most of them don't present it as TRUEFACT and go to the extreme of running a site with all their made up numbers. Unless they get banned first anyway.

EDIT: And profiting off of it? I hate those people so much.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's just because everyone bought (and is buying) the PC version :p

No small thanks to your help in that community, id bet. Did they ever pay you anything? Haha, id charge a consultancy fee.

Was it ever released st retail or just digital?
Cause she ain't moving off shelf if she was.

Still, it did really well all things considered at launch.
Im sure no one involved is hurting.

nib95

Banned
The 360 version was delayed twice and virtually no advertising of the game mentioned it. It didn't even have a beta.

This is in comparison to Sony's biggest exclusive for a long while that was advertised a heck of lot. In the UK I saw more Infamous advertisements than I ever saw of Titanfall let alone the existence of the 360 version (in which I have no idea how the non dedicated would find out about aside from seeing it in a shop), which was Microsoft's dirty secret, they wanted no one to know about. Regardless how hyped titanfall was (which many people even consider it's sales very mediocre). It just seems strange the it's 360 version outsold ISS launch month in the US.

Last gen software sales have also fallen off a cliff..

You essentially just repeated your post again lol. So for my response, just re-read my last post. Internet circular debates and all lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd love to see some 3DS games numbers (updated LTDs)

- Bravely Default
- Layton
- MH3U

Eusis

No small thanks to your help in that community, id bet. Did they ever pay you anything? Haha, id charge a consultancy fee.

Was it ever released st retail or just digital?
Cause she ain't moving off shelf if she was.

Still, it did really well all things considered at launch.
Im sure no one involved is hurting.
Almost digital only in the US. There's the LE at GameStop but that's it I think.

Yeah, that's probably not going to make up a huge chunk of sales.

orochi91

Sony need to cater to the shooter group and Microsoft need a miracle which might be the price drop.

NO.

The FPS genre will decline like every other over-saturated genre.
Give it a few more years. I want it to fucking die.

There needs to be a renaissance in the JRPG and Platformer genres.

Sony, get it done. Nintendo as well.

Disappointing, I had hoped for more long tail sales.

But then maybe that's exactly what we'll get out of PC.

What IS with people predicting so highly for the Xbox? I can see it before launch, but this really just looks like swapping places with Sony, except without taking Europe and PROBABLY not taking Japan.

At least most of them don't present it as TRUEFACT and go to the extreme of running a site with all their made up numbers. Unless they get banned first anyway.

EDIT: And profiting off of it? I hate those people so much.

Don't forget about the disgusting deceit. Thousands of people look at this:

p0uClkT.png

And they get deceived into thinking this is real sales.

I know way too much about the site and its methodology for my own good. And it's all a bunch of lies and nonsense. Those numbers you see there...they are pretty much gibberish.

How did Conception outsell Mario Golf......just wut? Those two games shouldn't even be comparable ( at any point in time).

I'm guessing we aren't going to see another mario golf for a long time.

How come Mario Golf and Kirby have been tracked? They came out in May.

Didn't expect Kirby to outsell Golf, actually.

NPD doesn't track months. They track a certain number of weeks.

How did Conception outsell Mario Golf......just wut? Those two games shouldn't even be comparable ( at any point in time).

I'm guessing we aren't going to see another mario golf for a long time.

That 17K is literally two days of tracking. I'd give the game a chance to breathe before writing it off.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So about 80-90k difference this month between Xbox One and PS4. I think next month will be the worst for Xbox because of the price drop. Hopefully it doesnt dip below 100k otherwise I dont think they will even reveal the numbers.

orochi91

Don't forget about the disgusting deceit. Thousands of people look at this:

p0uClkT.png

And they get deceived into thinking this is real sales.

I know way too much about the site and its methodology for my own good. And it's all a bunch of lies and nonsense. Those numbers you see there...they are pretty much gibberish.

I visited the site today; the discrepancy in these results from their own has pretty
much cemented what most of the posters there realized a little while back: that their numbers
are bullshit lol

Xbox One

November 2013 - 909K
December 2013 - 908K
January 2014 - 141K
February 2014 - 258K
March 2014 - 311K
April 2014 - 115K
May 2014 - ???

LTD: 2.64 million

Wii

November 2006 - 476K
December 2006 - 604K
January 2007 - 436K
February 2007 - 335K
March 2007 - 259K
April 2007 - 360K
May 2007 - 338K

LTD: 2.88 million

XB1 should start tracking behind the Wii next month. WW wise it's already tracking behind yet.

NPD doesn't track months. They track a certain number of weeks.

That 17K is literally two days of tracking. I'd give the game a chance to breathe before writing it off.

Still don't you think thats a bad launch? Maybe I overestimated it too much (due to having a Mario name)

I'm sure it will have legs.

Top Bottom