• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
The leaks came from an old trailer, never intended for release at E3. It's old, and redundant, it might still leak, but we have no way to know.

LOL. Why is it so difficult to understand? Read through my quotes carefully ...

We have some snippets of gameplay that was leaked. Those snippets of gameplay were taken from a trailer. Where is that trailer?

Either it will be at TGS, they didn't want to show it because it was leaked, or the most likely it was being used to show the game off internally and was never intended to be seen outside of From Software / Sony.

prwxv3

Ok, I'm calling it a day with you because you're just being facetious.

This question is for someone else:

We had four clips leaked before E3. These clips where taken from a longer trailer because an insider said 'good, they didn't leak all of it.'

Where is that full trailer?
No one knows. It was a old build for sure though the clips don't look nearly as good as the screen released today.

Ok, I'm calling it a day with you because you're just being facetious.

This question is for someone else:

We had four clips leaked before E3. These clips where taken from a longer trailer because an insider said 'good, they didn't leak all of it.'

Where is that full trailer?

As I understood it, that footage was from a trailer that was supposed to be shown at TGS last year. It's nearly a year old. Sony isn't going to show that footage publicly, ever. Your only hope will be for someone to leak it all.

Palocca

Sounds cool. Also heard that blood sticks to the player as you kill more stuff? (or was that just because I recently saw a Drakengard 3 let's play... I don't remember if I'm hallucinating anymore, sleep lately has been weird)

Oh yeah, how amusing is the ragdolling in this one? ;)

Haha if I remember correctly, I think the player character was pretty bloody by the end of the demo. But not to the point you were covered completely in it. And the ragdolls were behaving in the demo I watched!

Artorias

Banned
Sorry but Game of the Generation? I love Souls games as much as the next not obsessive hardcore fan, but for me at least it'll have to do my taxes and go grocery shopping for me if it hopes to beat Witcher 3 for GOTY alone.

They hardly seem comparable. From software games have good gameplay for example.

BumRush

I'm more excited about this game than I've been about a game in a looooooooong time...

Wonder if you can two-hand weapons or if everything is a). firearm b). sword-type dual wield

Elios83

Everything is being showcased to the press behind closed doors this E3 :/
I hope that we get to see gameplay as soon as possible....but probably we'll have to wait until TGS.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Everything is being showcased to the press behind closed doors this E3 :/
I hope that we get to see gameplay as soon as possible....but probably we'll have to wait until TGS.

Its probably for the best, for the most part gamers have become whiny,unappreciative and entitled.Showing a game before it is pretty much complete will have see your product get unjustly berated. Or tagged with current gens favorite catch words "Downgraded,Uninspired" You don't need to look any further than the bashing Watch Dogs took or the Unrelenting hate that the Order is getting.

Toxi

Banned
Just watched the demo... the visuals and gameplay are stunning. the framerate is a disaster, no exaggeration, down most of the time in the low teens and even was single digits at times.

edit if they fix the framerate, and I'm sure they will, this will be easily the best title on ps4 when it releases.
From doesn't have a very good track record with this.

Hope to God they realize how important a good framerate is here and make that one of their priorities.

Hope I can dual wield shotguns.
I want to use a revolver and go full spaghetti western mode.

And some people appreciate those differences but others do not. I feel like the level design of Demon's Souls is more akin to Mega Man while the level design of Dark Souls is similar to The Legend of Zelda (the first one). But these level designs have certain tradeoffs that change the flow of the game greatly. There is a much more asynchronous feeling to Demon's Souls while Dark Souls feels largely persistent. It's why a lot of people complained about warping in Dark Souls 1.

I'm also hyped to see what new ideas Miyazaki will experiment with next and am glad that he'll have a new IP to do it in.

A lot of people complained about warping in DS1 as in they complained about its absence or about its presence? That seems like a really strange thing to complain about.

Not sure if posted:

Interview:

Bloodbourne IS the Spiritual Successor to Demon Souls.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/10/e3-2014-new-bloodborne-details-and-first-screens-released

While that's all well and good, the developer has also confirmed what many of us suspected for some time: Bloodborne is indeed the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls. In a section detailing the upcoming title's combat, it explains "One of the ways we are bringing that sense of danger to life is by keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns."

Less blocking, more Pew Pew and Slashing.

Soi-Fong

Sorry but Game of the Generation? I love Souls games as much as the next not obsessive hardcore fan, but for me at least it'll have to do my taxes and go grocery shopping for me if it hopes to beat Witcher 3 for GOTY alone.

Sorry, but Witcher gameplay and swordplay have NOTHING on the Souls series of games.

Cyrano

Imru’ al-Qays;115892300 said:
A lot of people complained about warping in DS1 as in they complained about its absence or about its presence? That seems like a really strange thing to complain about.
Both, actually, but I think more people complained about its presence. I think this is mostly because the game without it feels much larger than the game with it. The Legend of Zelda has a similar mechanic via the Recorder, which is essentially a Warp Whistle. The recorder in The Legend of Zelda's warping also shrinks the size of the game considerably.

Sorry, but Witcher gameplay and swordplay have NOTHING on the Souls series of games.

That's extremely debatable, there's strategy in other aspects. I wasn't here to tell you 'my game is better than yours', I was here to say that 'game of the generation' is not going to happen considering how early we are. Game of the Year depends entirely on competition and the competition isn't light.

I really hope I don't get reply after reply of 'THIS GAME IS BETTER' in the thread for this game when it was simply an example.

SaintR

"keeping the deep strategic elements from Demon’s Souls, while also transitioning from the passive and block-and-attack style of Demon’s Souls to a quicker, more offensive and active combat style with close-range weapons and guns."

My preferred play-style in the Souls games was and is aggressive, no-shield play, so this is pretty much music to my ears.
+1 to this. But it took a lot of practice and death to actually be good playing that way.

Toxi

Banned
People didn't complain about warping in Dark Souls 1. They complained about the post-Lordvessel area design with fewer connections and alternate routes that made warping more convenient, but they didn't complain much about warping because, you know, backtracking through the Tomb of the Giants sucks.

Dark Souls 2 on the other hand, yeah, people didn't like all that warping. I didn't either. I like backtracking.
Not sure if posted:

Interview:

Bloodbourne IS the Spiritual Successor to Demon Souls.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/10/e3-2014-new-bloodborne-details-and-first-screens-released

Less blocking, more Pew Pew and Slashing.
That's kinda silly considering its level design seems to take more from Dark Souls.

But I guess it's good PR for the Sony fans.

Booshka

Imru’ al-Qays;115892300 said:

First half of DkS1 doesn't have warping, and the level and world design benefited from it. Warping from the onset in DkS2 was necessary only because that game is so bloated with mediocre content that you wouldn't want to backtrack through it to find a clever shortcut. Not that B team From Soft could design that in the first place, just look at the world collision data, or all the illogical branching paths from Ruined Forked Road in Shaded Woods.

I hope that Bloodborne takes the DeS approach of more quality content and less unnecessary areas that just drag the game on.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
A faster paced, more offensively played Demon Souls sounds great to me. This will definitely be one of the first PS4 games I buy. Now, where's my gameplay footage?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you preorder now you get a digital countdown.

photo.jpg

Shengar

If this sold above expectation, there are likely to be sequels and I doubt Sony would not go with From Software when it comes to that.
FromSoft already owned by Kadokawa Games, They wouldn't went full exclusive with Sony, but just expect them to have another future collaboration project with SCEJ.
People didn't complain about warping in Dark Souls 1. They complained about the post-Lordvessel area design with fewer connections and alternate routes that made warping more convenient, but they didn't complain much about warping because, you know, backtracking through the Tomb of the Giants sucks.

That's kinda silly considering its level design seems to take more from Dark Souls.

But I guess it's good PR for the Sony fans.

Well Dark Souls is the actual spiritual successor of Demon's Souls to begin with :p

Elios83

Its probably for the best, for the most part gamers have become whiny,unappreciative and entitled.Showing a game before it is pretty much complete will have see your product get unjustly berated. Or tagged with current gens favorite catch words "Downgraded,Uninspired" You don't need to look any further than the bashing Watch Dogs took or the Unrelenting hate that the Order is getting.

Yeah I agree, it's better to show something which is representative of the final quality because first impressions are really important although in the case of Watch Dogs it's true that the game was effectively severely downgraded so the reaction was fair.
In the case of The Order the problem is that people are realizing just now that the game belongs to a different genre than what they were expecting (it's not Gears in victorian London).

As long as they're not a Sony-exclusive dev going forward, I'm okay with missing out on this.

Why would they be? From will still make Dark Soul's games I'm sure. But since this be the 2nd Sony exclusive "Soul's" game, I think they will continue to develop exclusives for them going forward.

Lemondish

This.

Yup, and I don't blame devs at all for being aprehensive. It's just horrible.

Lucent

They charged me too. I'm not bummed, I'll support FROM Software on this. You can preorder all the upcoming titles in the same way.

Yeah. It was cool seeing six games to pre-order up there after the conference. All of them look like sure buys.

293 days on that timer though. Man. lol. >_<

Both, actually, but I think more people complained about its presence. I think this is mostly because the game without it feels much larger than the game with it. The Legend of Zelda has a similar mechanic via the Recorder, which is essentially a Warp Whistle. The recorder in The Legend of Zelda's warping also shrinks the size of the game considerably.

I think warping in DS1 was handled perfectly. They saved it until after the game's hardest boss fight and it felt like a major reward. Most of the places you wind up warping to are places you've been to a billion times by the time you clear Anor Londo.

Cyrano

Imru&#8217; al-Qays;115896077 said:
I think warping in DS1 was handled perfectly. They saved it until after the game's hardest boss fight and it felt like a major reward. Most of the places you wind up warping to are places you've been to a billion times by the time you clear Anor Londo.
Sure, and this is exactly how the Recorder in Legend of Zelda functions. But, it does make the world feel much more disconnected, or at the very least, indirectly connected. Warping kills persistence of space to a degree and challenges the legitimacy of the worldspace (as being interesting enough to trek through legitimizes interest in it).

Skyrim had fast travel and despite the world being absolutely massive, most of the time you would just fast travel wherever you wanted to go, because it's convenient. When this is taken away the player gets a real sense of how massive the game world is, and finds even more appreciation in the interesting bits which previously were meaningless (horse-drawn carts that could take you to major cities for a price). Similarly, this exists in Dark Souls via means of finding and creating shortcuts. However, shortcuts are rather compromised when the game gives you a huge shortcut like warping.

There's a mod called Requiem for Skyrim that disables fast travel by default in order to preserve this persistence of space. I dunno if there's a better terminology for it, but that's what I call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom