• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

Just noticed something interesting about that high tech arrow Link shot at the monster:
wiiu_zelda_scrn02_e3xpogw.png

It looks as though a new arrowhead has been tied onto the end of a normal arrow. Perhaps this new arrowhead is specific to this monster type? A key of some sort?

That's a good find. I reckon your bow may have multiple, new add-ons different from the traditional fire,ice, and light.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I so much wish Nintendo went for something more akin to the 2D view...

Yuck, no, not in a console Zelda. Leave that on the handhelds. I want my console Zeldas to be big, beautiful and epic. In fact, I was afraid they would do what you're suggesting, which would have been such a huge disappointment for me. Would have changed my view on this game from "I must buy a Wii U for this" to "meh".

Volotaire

Remember, TP was initially slated for 2005, one year after its reveal in 2004. I'm a bit skeptical Zelda U will even be ready for 2015 if you take note of that pattern.

That delay was more to do with the Wii version and refinements rather than development. They could have pushed that out in 2005.

EDIT: Also, on another note, the large delays from Skyward Sword came from starting the game late, and then changing the game mid development cycle when motion controls were introduced. I think that a 2015 Christmas release is optimistic.

Caramello

I really wish they would have clarified just how far into development this really is. Personally, I think it's pretty far along and we will absolutely see it in 2015 (come oooonnnnn spring release date.
That won't happen.
), but it would have been nice to have some concrete details about it.

Even if the game is basically finished in Spring (not that I think it will be) they will definitely delay it/hold it back for the holiday season. Splatoon is scheduled for the first half of 2015, Mario Party 10, Kirby, Yoshi and Mario Maker all look like they are Q1 - Q3 games and even Starfox is looking likely for Q3 according to comments made by Miyamoto saying it'll probably be another year in development.

Basically Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X are the most likely candidates for Q4 games from the currently announced line up.

Obviously this all depends on how development goes from now on and also how Nintendo want to space out their releases.

Frillen

Remember, TP was initially slated for 2005, one year after its reveal in 2004. I'm a bit skeptical Zelda U will even be ready for 2015 if you take note of that pattern.

The delay was because of the Wii version. They could've released the Gamecube version in 05 if they had wanted to.

Heroman

Banned
Even if the game is basically finished in Spring (not that I think it will be) they will definitely delay it/hold it back for the holiday season. Splatoon is scheduled for the first half of 2015, Mario Party 10, Kirby, Yoshi and Mario Maker all look like they are Q1 - Q3 games and even Starfox is looking likely for Q3 according to comments made by Miyamoto saying it'll probably be another year in development.

Basically Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles X are the most likely candidates for Q4 games from the currently announced line up.

Obviously this all depends on how development goes from now on and also how Nintendo want to space out their releases.
X is done it coming out in Japan later this. It probably a early 2015 game.

Neff

This thing already dominated their E3 presence, even more than the Smash tourney, simply based on the small clip seen. They don't need to show any more, and as much as we want them to, they won't. They'll keep a lid on it until next E3 (we'll probably get a title, art and some gameplay details between now and then) then blow us away with an amazing trailer in time for a holiday release.

Expecting more info today is, I'm afraid to say, only going to disappoint.

If this follows the same schedule as SS, we might see more of it come GDC, but I'm not sure if it will or won't. Also, the first thing I thought of when I saw this art style was a somewhat old Iron Man cartoon that had similar cell shading.

The delay was because of the Wii version. They could've released the Gamecube version in 05 if they had wanted to.

Not entirely. The delay coincided with the Wii version and the desire to wait until Fall for release, but the game was torn down in 2005 and rebuilt. Much of 2005's trailer included stuff that didn't exist in the final game and Miyamoto and Aonuma have straight up said it didn't pass the Miyamoto test of "Is this Zelda?"

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Just noticed something interesting about that high tech arrow Link shot at the monster:
wiiu_zelda_scrn02_e3xpogw.png

It looks as though a new arrowhead has been tied onto the end of a normal arrow. Perhaps this new arrowhead is specific to this monster type? A key of some sort?

this would go along well with my wishes for a Zelda with upgradeable weapons via tech you've got to find in ancient, no-story path dungeons. Hnnnnggghhh hitting all the right bloody notes

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
No story? plsno.

would you be against additional dungeons, not tied to the plot but to, say, the ancient civilization that came before Link's time? These dungeons would be filled with interesting hints about their past and with a weapon upgrade as a final prize, after a boss fight. A bit like Xenoblade, with so many ruins to explore. i would honestly LOVE it!

would you be against additional dungeons, not tied to the plot but to, say, the ancient civilization that came before Link's time? These dungeons would be filled with interesting hints about their past and with a weapon upgrade as a final prize, after a boss fight. A bit like Xenoblade, with so many ruins to explore. i would honestly LOVE it!

I'd be ok with additional mini dungeons that have their own themes and contain upgrades, but I don't want something like the Ancient Cistern being hidden away in the overworld for the sake of mysteriousness.

MattyG

Banned
Now that the game has been revealed, I'm starting to wonder if those WiiU Daily rumors a year or so back were true. They said that it was sticking to the SS art style (this is close), and that it was a huge and ambitious game. One of the details was that one of the prototype dungeons was bigger than Hyrule Field in OOT.

Now, obviously these could have been lucky guesses, but I think there's a chance this rumor was the real deal (I don't know what WiiU Daily's track record is like, so I can't speak to that). Even if they were true, other than the dungeon size thing there isn't anything too huge that we don't know from the reveal.

I'm really curious of the size of the map since this game has been billed as "open world". I mean, how much larger than the TP map could it possibly be? I hope they can fit in some hidden mini dungeons amid all of the other stuff, otherwise it could come across barren

What about the 2nd and 3rd dungeon though? You'd have to find all the items beforehand for the developers to know which items you have and prepare for that or else each dungeon on each tier would be of the same difficulty and simplicity to each other. Basically dungeon 2 would be just as easy as 3 and 1. The logical answer would be to just put the items in the overworld, but that could potentially lead to the dungeons being shorter than usual. I'm not 100% confident being non-linear leads to bad dungeons but the Zelda Team hasn't shown any reason to think otherwise, and personally some of their best dungeon work was in games that were highly linear (TP, SS).

I think they could do something where like the first 3 dungeons only require your sword, bow/arrow, and 1 other item. But each dungeon has secret areas that you need items received from the other 2 dungeons to access. Then the next 3 dungeons assume you have all 3 of the dungeon items from the first 3 dungeons, and have secret areas that require the dungeon items from this second set of dungeons to access, etc. into the last set of dungeons.

These secret areas can contain upgrades, or even necessary story points to continue. I'm sure they could make something like that work.

I think they could do something where like the first 3 dungeons only require your sword, bow/arrow, and 1 other item. But each dungeon has secret areas that you need items received from the other 2 dungeons to access. Then the next 3 dungeons assume you have all 3 of the dungeon items from the first 3 dungeons, and have secret areas that require the dungeon items from this second set of dungeons to access, etc. into the last set of dungeons.

These secret areas can contain upgrades, or even necessary story points to continue. I'm sure they could make something like that work.

They potentially could I was just saying that just putting the dungeons into tiers doesn't solve the problems present in ALBW.

Got any Aonuma questions? Post'em in the next 20 mins.

What's an established aspect or mechanic of Zelda games that is changing for Zelda U that Zelda fans won't expect?

Has the art style changed during development or was this look the original objective?

How big of a role will customization have in Zelda U?

Can I beta test it?

Asbear

Banned
That's a good find. I reckon your bow may have multiple, new add-ons different from the traditional fire,ice, and light.

Ever since I saw that arrow, I've been thinking it's litterally gonna be the name of the game.

"The Legend of Zelda: Shard of Nightmare" was maybe not so far off after all, considering the arrowtip seems to be some sort of seperate magical shard that has been attatched to an arrow.

georly

• Will the game still have dungeons?
  • Will the game have loading times/zones (transition from open world > indoors)?
  • Will the game have environmental destruction (like the bridge being destroyed) or was that just for the trailer?
  • When can we expect to hear more? Later this year? E3 2015?

Azure J

Favorite game of the show?

Were there any specific artistic or animation influences that led to the visual style in place for Zelda U currently?

With regards to the recent speculation and wide interest in Link's gender for Zelda U, what are your thoughts on making a Legend of Zelda game staring a female protagonist, be it a female Link, Zelda herself or another character altogether?

What are your thoughts on creating a new adventure series with a female protagonist?

Concerning the arrow, I wonder if it's just a redesigned Bomb Arrow.

They potentially could I was just saying that just putting the dungeons into tiers doesn't solve the problems present in ALBW.
Ocarina of Time was like this--there's a "suggested" order to the adult Link dungeons, but there are many possible orders you can complete them in (the Fire Temple can be completed at nearly any time), and I wouldn't say they were sacrificed in terms of puzzle complexity.

The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had rigid dungeon orders, but there were actually a couple dungeons that, had there not been arbitrary plot locks on them, could have been done in reverse order because the latter dungeon did not require an item from the previous. Often times these so-called puzzle complexity come from rather simple item checks that add no real depth--like the useless singular Spinner track in the Temple of Time in TP or the Spinner locks in the City in the Sky. The Ball & Chain is never used in any dungeon outside its own, etc. In Skyward Sword I think there are like two places total in the second Lanayru trip (Sandship part) that utilized the whip (the item from the Ancient Cistern), counting both in and outside of dungeons, and one of those was a really lame "pull a single Peahat out of the ground to use it as a Clawshot target." That's not depth. That's an arbitrary item check.

This problem of yours is overblown when utilized in a tiered fashion. I can understand not enjoying it when viewed through ALBW's seven dungeons, but having pairs that can be done in any order? That's already nearly a practicality in every 3D Zelda if it weren't for arbitrary item and plot locks.

Top Bottom