• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, the Android L Keyboard seems to have been removed from the Play Store. Going to have to find the APK to sideload it.

The guy who uploaded it posted on Google+ the other day, it was in violation according to Google lol.

SimleuqiR

The guy who uploaded it posted on Google+ the other day, it was in violation according to Google lol.

Well, technically this is not the AOSP Keyboard...right? Meaning, this is actually Google's keyboard.

It would be the equivalent of them releasing a Gmail update just for the L preview release and he taking it and putting it up on the Store for everyone to download.

Or am I completely wrong?

kehs

Banned
Well, technically this is not the AOSP Keyboard...right? Meaning, this is actually Google's keyboard.

It would be the equivalent of them releasing a Gmail update just for the L preview release and he taking it and putting it up on the Store for everyone to download.

Or am I completely wrong?

You're right.

MarkusRJR

So I'm planning on getting a Gear Live or Moto 360 once I get my new phone. I have a question though... Do I need to worry about whether or not a phone has Bluetooth LE, or is it included on all BT 4.0 devices with Android 4.3+? I keep checking PhoneArena for specs and not all the phones list low energy Bluetooth.

-PXG-

Anyone having shitty LTE signals on a Nexus 5 should force 3G instead. It's been an "known" issue since 4.4.2 apparently. The modem doesn't know when to switch to HSPA/ HSPA+ whenever the LTE signal is bad. It will do it's best to maintain on that LTE signal as much as possible in most cases. So in the event you know LTE coverage in your area is spotty, manually switch to 3G and back to LTE when things are known to be more stable. Oh and this is across the board, across all carriers issue.

Sucks that I even have to do this :/

Since we have you here and we can talk about Sony fails this year...what is up with the Z3 having same specs to Z2? I mean are they gonna market it more like Z2 Plus or does Sony seriously think they need to launch a new flagship every 6 months but just had too many unsold inventory for the Z2 that they decided to repackage it?

Well the hardware won't be identical, the processor goes from MSM8974AB to AC, and from 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz, with a corresponding GPU clock bump. S805 has been ruled out in favour of bringing S810 in earlier AIUI due to battery life concerns with S805 (the modem isn't integrated properly). Z3 is more like a Z2s, but with a new design allowing it to take the Z3 name. Z4 is where the internal changes come, but the design from Z3 to Z4 will remain the same. This should be a preview of where Sony are heading, refined designs in H2 and refined hardware spec in H1. Also notice that they have aligned all of their H2 hardware with the "3" moniker, T3, C3 and soon Z3. They don't want to be left in the same position as they were with the Z1 Compact, with people confused as to why they were getting a compact version of the last gen device, the device managers realise they should have announced the Z1 compact and Z2 simultaneously with the Z1c turning into the Z2c, the specs are close enough to warrant it.

As for 6 monthly flagships, that is where the Android market has moved. Samsung are releasing their F specifically to compete with the H2 Sony phone and the new iPhones. The Z1 was one of the top selling SKUs in Europe last year and took a significant number of sales away from the S4, Samsung are moving to try and limit the damage that the Z3 will do. IMO Sony should drop the H1 flagship and align their releases to the second half, but I don't work there...

Cigol

I've always found it to be more trouble than it's worth. Applying them correctly is a chore, and you don't really need one if you're reasonably careful with your phone. I'm currently using an LG QuickCover for my Nexus 5, and it gives me all the protection I need. It protects all sides of the phone when it's in my pocket, and when I'm using the phone there's nothing between me and the screen. Which is how I like it. As a bonus, the screen turns on as soon as I open the lid, and turns off (locking the phone) when I close it. Very convenient, I love it. If there's s similar solution for your phone, I recommend it.

(I don't work for LG, nor for Google, I just really like this kind of phone protection.)
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't another benefit of a screen protector that it helps prevent fingerprint smear, particularly on older phones. I'm like you I don't use them but it's worth considering for that I think.

Groof

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't another benefit of a screen protector that it helps prevent fingerprint smear, particularly on older phones. I'm like you I don't use them but it's worth considering for that I think.

Or you could reapply some oleophobic coating once things start getting real bad.
Most phones come with this coating straight from factory, and is the way they stay clean and slippery. As with any coating, that disappears over time and wear. But buying some and reapplying it is cheap and quick. Highly recommended.
However, it doesn't last as long as the factory coating.

This is the one I've used: Fusso Oleophobic Coating Kit

Mario007

Well the hardware won't be identical, the processor goes from MSM8974AB to AC, and from 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz, with a corresponding GPU clock bump. S805 has been ruled out in favour of bringing S810 in earlier AIUI due to battery life concerns with S805 (the modem isn't integrated properly). Z3 is more like a Z2s, but with a new design allowing it to take the Z3 name. Z4 is where the internal changes come, but the design from Z3 to Z4 will remain the same. This should be a preview of where Sony are heading, refined designs in H2 and refined hardware spec in H1. Also notice that they have aligned all of their H2 hardware with the "3" moniker, T3, C3 and soon Z3. They don't want to be left in the same position as they were with the Z1 Compact, with people confused as to why they were getting a compact version of the last gen device, the device managers realise they should have announced the Z1 compact and Z2 simultaneously with the Z1c turning into the Z2c, the specs are close enough to warrant it.

As for 6 monthly flagships, that is where the Android market has moved. Samsung are releasing their F specifically to compete with the H2 Sony phone and the new iPhones. The Z1 was one of the top selling SKUs in Europe last year and took a significant number of sales away from the S4, Samsung are moving to try and limit the damage that the Z3 will do. IMO Sony should drop the H1 flagship and align their releases to the second half, but I don't work there...

Thanks for that answer. I didn't realise there were problems with the s805. That would make more sense. Would you be privy to know whether the design change is going to be drastic or a minor upgrade one? Because from what I've seen from the leaked screenshot the latter seems to be true.

It's good that Sony is finally getting the naming down correctly. I still don't think the letters are the way to go but at least they are consistent about it.

Re the 6 months flagship and getting rid of the H1 flagship I heard that it's basically the stupid release schedule by Qualcomm which forces Sony to have H1 flaghsip to basically compete with HTC and Samsung.

Finally, given that Z1 had great sales, I imagine the Z2 didn't quite follow up on it, right?

thenexus6

I am having tremendous trouble trying to import photos from my Nexus 5 to my MacBook using iPhoto.. I connect my phone, it pops up with my photos (not all thumb nails though) but when I hit import all or select only it just sits preparing photos or loading.

kehs

Banned
I am having tremendous trouble trying to import photos from my Nexus 5 to my MacBook using iPhoto.. I connect my phone, it pops up with my photos (not all thumb nails though) but when I hit import all or select only it just sits preparing photos or loading.

Use something like airdroid to moves files over wifi.

CronoShot

Google Drive?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the Verizon version of the G3 is only gonna be $99 on contract at launch! That's like woah compared to the normal $199 starting price!

Use something like airdroid to moves files over wifi.

Airdroid is GOAT!!!

PS: LoL at Sony and North America. They such fail doges.

jokkir

I have to get rid of my screen protector now. I scratch it up yesterday in my pocket >__>

EokcYDS.jpg

Hasney

Has anyone got the Samsung Galaxy S4 Extra Battery Kit direct from Samsung? I've gotten 2 directly from Amazon (old one stopped charging) and now the new one is different to my old one and I'm trying to work out which is fake or if they both are in different ways.

I'll take some pictures when I get home if required, but the main differences are that the first one had a hologram on the box, came with a separate mains charger and only had 2 colours on the charging light (red and green). The battery that came with it only charged to 80% (should have been a red flag), but had NFC and no water damage indicator (neither did the one that came with the actual phone, launch day UK model).

New one has no hologram or charger, 3 colours of light (Red, amber and green) and the battery goes to 100% and has the water damage indicator) and the Samsung logo on the front of the charger is a much lighter grey than the old one. I'm just very confused about returning this one or not and just going direct to Samsung.

EDIT: The box of the new one also says "Ver 8.0" for what it's worth.

EDIT2: Just realised after all this time that the old one only accepts the USB cable upside down. FML.

jokkir

You people with your screen protectors. That tiny layer of plastic will do fuckall.

Screen protectors are a joke. Just get a good micro fiber to wipe the screen and you're good.

You're both ridiculously wrong.

Unless you're using a shitty LG Optimus or another cheap phone with a crappy front panel, they're worthless.

Just take care of your shit.

Made a thread in OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852673

I'm a fucking master at applying screen protectors now, have the technique down.

me too. i am a screen protector ninja. i've been using that steamy bathroom technique since the days of installing those 3rd party GBA frontlights and i've had a bunch of practice on just the screen protector placement and technique for a few years now.

one thing people are forgetting is that screen protectors also help stop small scratches, and its those small scratches that weaken the overall structure of the screen. some people have their phone fall from a short distance then wonder why the screen broke... sometimes it truly was just the worst possible angle. other times its because it was already weakened from the micro scratches.

Samsung announces quad-core Exynos ModAP chip with integrated 4G LTE modem

As expected, Samsung has announced a new Exynos chip, though it’s not the Exynos 5433 that we expected would be the star of today’s announcement. Samsung has unveiled its new Exynos ModAP chipset, a quad-core unit with an integrated modem for 4G LTE connectivity (on both FDD and TDD), built on the 28nm HKMG process. ModAP supports LTE speeds up to the LTE-A (LTE Advanced) standard, though it’s unclear if the max speeds will be 150 Mbps or 225 Mbps, but either way, the Exynos ModAP chip finally brings Samsung into the same league as Qualcomm, a chip maker that has been offering SoCs with built-in LTE modems for almost two years.

took them long enough.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ridiculous debate considering what Apple will do to sapphire what they did to aluminum and retina quality displays.

Zeppu

I never used screen protectors or cases or whatever. I did get a nasty big scratch on my Nexus 5 a few weeks back. No idea how, it was alone in a pocket in a bag.

Ugly when the screen is off or black, or when you're in the sun, but unnoticeable otherwise. Sucks though.

Still not gonna use a screen protector.

Eanan

I never used screen protectors or cases or whatever. I did get a nasty big scratch on my Nexus 5 a few weeks back. No idea how, it was alone in a pocket in a bag.

Ugly when the screen is off or black, or when you're in the sun, but unnoticeable otherwise. Sucks though.

Still not gonna use a screen protector.

You dont know how much better a high quality matte finish screen protector is.

No fingerprints, much better viewing angles in sunlight.

Also feels good mang

RayStorm

Also feels good mang

And so much less friction for your fingers. I don't care about scratches but about usability, and a matte screen protector increases that manifold. No reflections when using your phone as a navigation system in your car makes it actually kind of usable for that purpose.

Groof

I have a Nexus 5 and I can't get audio to work on the screen casting. Others are having the same issue. Other than that the mirroring works pretty good.

I read a comment on a news story about that where a dude said he unplugged and plugged the Chromecast back in and it started working. Maybe try that?
Don't have a Chromecast of my own so I can't vouch for its validity.

yyzjohn

Banned
I read a comment on a news story about that where a dude said he unplugged and plugged the Chromecast back in and it started working. Maybe try that?
Don't have a Chromecast of my own so I can't vouch for its validity.

Yeah I tried a bunch of things, even factory reset the Chromecast but no luck. All I get is stutter garbage sound and the PCM indicator on my receiver flashes rapidly.

Talon

Also feels good mang
...what are you talking about? What does a screen protector have to do with viewing angles?

vivftp

I don't suppose you know if either the Z3 or Z4 are slated for built-in wireless charging, do you? I'm still saddened by the rumours of no Z Ultra successor, so I'm going to guess the Z4 will probably be my next phone.

On another note, I was just thinking that out of all the companies, it looks like Sony are the ones who are going to be going head to head against Apple the most with the Fall product line-up. We have the 2 new iPhone sizes vs. the Z3 and Z3c. SmartWatch 3 vs. iWatch. And I believe we've been hearing rumours of a new mini tablet from Sony, which I assume will go against the iPad Mini. I suppose it's possible they could release a full sized Z3 tablet too, but that wouldn't jive with their release schedule for full sized tablets to date.

Anyways, I don't think any other companies are going to have such a similarly structured mobile product line-up to Apple releasing in the same timeframe. Makes me wonder if Sony are going to try to step it up a notch or not here to show that their products are competitive against the mobile top dogs.

EDIT.

zomg, just going back to an old post you had made, I was wondering if you had any more info on the anti-reflective screen tech to be employed on the new Sony devices. Hoping it's still true as this tech would be great across the board from the new phones to tablets to the smartwatch:

Got some more info on the screen. Best in class contrast, around 1700:1, and the filter has some new ambient light rejection stuff which allows people to view it in direct sunlight without any issues. It is technology exclusive to Sony and from what I was told they are not licencing it to anyone. It will help save battery life as direct sunlight viewing will no longer require full brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom