• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP: I'm thinking of jumping in and buying one. Recommend me some games.

I've put off buying a PSP for the simple fact that I hate the d-pad for Dual Shock controllers because they share the same set up. Lately thou I've been playing my neighbor's PSP and have been using the analog nub for the games instead of the d-pad. Since I won't be buying fighting games for it, I figure I might as well buy one.

Can gaf recommend me some games. I don't want any Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo or God of War games, but anything else will be fine.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you're into music games:

PA.54320.010.jpg

pa.85894.21.jpg

Dalauz

Fading Shadows

EG said:
Fading Shadows

* Publisher: Ivolgamus
* Developer: Ivolgamus

Like every other handheld console in the short and tumultuous history of portable gaming, the PSP isn't short a puzzle game or three. However, none of them are quite like Fading Shadows - in fact, nothing we've ever played is quite like Fading Shadows.

In theory, you play a young girl with clairvoyant abilities, who attempts to rescue her brother from the clutches of an evil sorcerer who plans on conquering the Castle of Heaven by sacrificing this innocent child. In practice, you play a beam of sunlight that guides a rolling orb (in which the boy's soul is sealed) around a collection of imaginative, atmospheric and sometimes genuinely inspired levels.

Your controls are fairly simple. You can widen the beam of light, or focus it more tightly - a more focused beam moves the orb faster, but runs the risk of burning the orb. By rolling over switches in the floor you can turn the orb into different types. Metal is impervious to the light beam, and can jump slightly by tapping O, but it gradually rusts in water; wood floats on water, but burns easily if you shine the beam on it. Hitting triangle reverts the orb to its default state, glass - which doesn't float, isn't damaged by water, only burns very slowly but will shatter if you slam it too hard against something.
'PSP Roundup' Screenshot fs

Ah, the prodigal sun.

Essentially, then, you have three forms to play with, and by combining this with various door switches, rivers, ponds of water, elevated platforms, and even mirrors that reflect the beams around, the game crafts a superb variety of puzzle environments. Each one is designed like an abandoned room, tower or courtyard in a magical castle, and with no time limit, you're left free to explore and muse on solutions in your own time - which suits the wistful, melancholy atmosphere of the whole thing perfectly.

It's by no means perfect - it's a touch on the short side, the enormous load delays between levels are a massive source of frustration, and we noticed our light beam getting caught on scenery on a few occasions. However, even allowing for that, this is a hidden gem in the PSP catalogue. Beautiful, understated and relaxing, this is to normal "marble puzzle" games what ICO was to normal platform games.

9/10

Truly amazing under rated and over looked game.

angelfly

2 years late to the awesome party: Just got a PSP
Buying a PSP very soon, what do I need to know?
Can I downgrade the new psp? ( also games reccomendations pls )
Considering buying a PSP
Contemplating getting a PSP, is it worth it?
Every PSP Downgradable + Unbrickable! (+ All future Firmwares) PANDORA is here
First PSP Game?
Getting a PSP Slim today. Need games advice...
Getting New PSP: Little Help (not a games list)
Got a PSP!! Need some advice...
Got a psp slim what games should i get?
Got a PSP with 3.40 OE-A... now what?
Having only a PSP for 4 and a half months - games and accesoires
Heya, lovers. I'm interested in the PSP Slim. Answer some questions?
I has a PSP! Need recommendations.
I just bought a PSP lite, I want every option I can get. Help Me.
I'm thinking about getting a psp
I think I'm buying a PSP this weekend (4th time, BUT I want to keep it this time!)
It's here: PSP Firmware 3.30 Open Edition Rev A
I've joined the evil empire... GAF, recommend me some good PSP games!
I Want A New PSP Game
I want to buy a PSP, but I'm confused about some things...
Just bought a psp for Crisis Core...
Just bought a PSP lite and have a question
Just bought a PSP...now what?
Just Bought a PSP Slim: Detail My Needs.
Just got a 1.50 PSP!
Just got a PSP, where can I get some demos?
LTTP: A bunch of PSP games.
Looking for PSP recommendations!
LttP? I bit the bullet and got PSP
LTTP: Playstation Portable (PSP)
LTTP: PSP
LTTP: PSP what games should I buy?
My 3rd go around with the PSP - Comments, Questions, etc.
Must have titles for PSP?
New PSP MAME4ALL HiRes (Arcade Emulator for PSP)
New PSP owner thread
Official PSP downloadable demo repository thread
Okay, I bought a PSP. Now what?
Okay, recommend me one PSP game
OK I just bought s PSP 2000, what do I need to hack it?
PSP 3.10 Custom Firmware - how do I flash it?
PSP Custom Firmware Thread of Confirmed Sweetness
PSP Custom Firmware version 3.71 M33 Released by ...
PSP game deciding help?
PSP Slim Accesories?
PSP WET CHRISTMAS DREAMS!!! PSX (sic) EMULATOR OUT!!!
Recommendations for JPN/Asian PSP titles
Recommend me some tactical games for PSP please...
Right, I want a PSP, help me find some excellent deals.
So I Just Got a Free PSP
Sony releases Official PSP Theme Creator
So... Sony sent me some free games... so i had to buy a PSP: What do i need?
Suggest me some import PSP games
The more newerer PSP thread of excellent games (PSP slim introductory edition)!
The Newer PSP thread of Excellent Games (Troll somewhere else you bastards.)
The PSP thread of Excellent Games (Troll somewhere else you bastards.)
Thinking about buying a PSP... some questions
Thinking of getting a PSP, old? slim? games?
Tomorrow I get a PSP. What goes with it?
UH OH, new PSP exploit for all firmware versions (requires Lumines)
What's left for the PSP 'till the end of 2008?
What's the latest on UMD ripping?
Woohoo! Found my PSP charger lost in 2005, any worthwhile games since that?
You gotta love the PSP homebrew scene (Best homebrew EVER!)

List courtesy of dog$

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
if i were to buy a PSP (i already own one though) i'd get:

Patapon
942065_93122.jpg

Jeanne D'arc
934454_85840.jpg

Crush
937957_84130.jpg

Metal Gear Acid 2
928434_67502.jpg

MegaMan Powered UP
929675_71511.jpg

Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow
920798_54471.jpg
939487_87608.jpg

Lumines 2
932702_75091.jpg

Crisis Core
925138_69620.jpg

Space Invaders Extreme
944060_99872.jpg

Wipeout Pulse
938816_85995.jpg

Killzone Liberation
931635_73096.jpg

Silent Hill: Origins
933072_75637.jpg

Monster Hunter Freedom 2
934395_85324.jpg

Burnout Legends
921495_56018.jpg

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2
943343_100794.jpg

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
938141_84501.jpg

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth*
931113_75084.jpg

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions*
937312_87558.jpg

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness*
935234_85999.jpg

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure*
932300_80521.jpg

*if i haven't played the original

XiaNaphryz said:
If you're into music games:
pa.85894.21.jpg

oh and that too, it has english menus.

EDIT: added some visual aid.

Amory

god of war was pretty cool. short though.

the psp has one of the best versions of puzzle quest too

Ronabo

If you like Pinball, I recommend Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection.

I've been playing it alot.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Rottweiler said:
Can gaf recommend me some games. I don't want any Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo or God of War games, but anything else will be fine.

No need to worry about that one

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
XCell9200 said:
god of war was pretty cool. short though.

the psp has one of the best versions of puzzle quest too

yeah this goes into my list too, played the hell out of this one, and imo portable is the way it should be played (just like Lumines 1&2)

Chittagong said:
No need to worry about that one

:lol i just noticed that he said that :lol OP didn't u get the memo?

nyong

Banned
Do you have a PS3? If so, and you're insane like me, you'll play PS1 games until trophies are released and then make your buying decisions based on that.

If not, from what I've played:

Final Fantasy Tactics and Joane d'Arc for strategy RPG.

Tales of the World or Monster Hunter 2 if you're into MMO type games. Both get pretty repetative but are fairly fun. I'd probably give the edge to Monster Hunter 2 because it's actually multiplayer.

Need for Speed Most Wanted is an excellent PSP conversion of the console game. No overworld, but you won't miss it. (my favorite racing game on the system, haters be damned)

Mega Man Powered Up is pretty awesome and probably my favorite action title. Dracula X sucks imo, until you unlock Symphony of the Night, which you can just download on PSN anyhow.

Lumines 2 for a puzzle fix. Puzzle Quest is fun but broken. Wait for the sci-fi sequel thing coming out.

I would NOT recommend Metal Gear or most other third/first person action titles because of the huge amount of suck involved fighting controls. Anything RPG or 2D action you should be fine with, though. Seriously, the analog stick might as well not even be there.

Vinci

Danish
angelfly said:
*list of PSP awesome*

Nice list. Definitely have to direct my friend to it. He just bought one recently.

Off-topic: I've been wondering who that girl in your avatar is. She looks familiar.

Jinfash said:
yeah this goes into my list too, played the hell out of this one, and imo portable is the way it should be played (just like Lumines 1&2)

:lol i just noticed that he said that :lol OP didn't u get the memo?

I thought Gran Turismo was on the PSP? I could've sworn there was a GT bundle for the PSP?

Dalauz said:
Fading Shadows
Never heard of it before, havent seen it on store shelves (US). It sounds kind of interesting, is it supposed to be out in the US?

Durante said:
Anyway, buy Wild Arms XF.
I've been tempted to, but ... the amount of bad press it received was a bit of a deterrent, honestly. I thought it was universally shat upon.

To add to the suggestion list:
- the wipeout games are very solid.
- monster hunter is fuck awesome, but it's for a very specific audience.
- SRPG-wise, jeanne d'arc is nice enough, but a little on the easy side, and it comes with a level-5 type of shitty art direction. Disgaea is a lot of goddamn fun, but with a touch of puzzle-lite flavor to itself (which isnt necessarily a bad thing but pissed me off). I also actually enjoyed D&D tactics quite a bit.
- Tekken5: DR gives me wood. But you dont care.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fistwell said:
I've been tempted to, but ... the amount of bad press it received was a bit of a deterrent, honestly. I thought it was universally shat upon.

well i heard the game as a whole is flawed, but the battle system (especially Jobs/Classes/whatever) is pretty deep and satisfying. in other words if you're craving for some good SRPG gameplay (after beating FFT, Disgaea, Jeanne, and FFTA2 on the DS) you should totally pick this up.

EDIT: i remember one of the mods raving and going crazy about the game before its US release (can't remember who now), he only had good things to say about the game. the game didn't get much hate on GAF btw.

Jinfash said:
well i heard the game as a whole is flawed, but the battle system (especially Jobs/Classes/whatever) is pretty deep and satisfying. in other words if you're craving for some good SRPG gameplay (after beating FFT, Disgaea, Jeanne, and FFTA2 on the DS) you should totally pick this up.
Yeah, i remember reading that mission objectives were very specific and annoying. The game does look pretty though. I'll probably give it a shot at some point.
Although... i'm only just finishing up disgaea right now. Then i need to go back and wrap up jeanne d'arc (roughly halfway through), then play fft beyond the first mission...
So, yeah, i'll get to it.
About 12 to 15 years from now...

Salamander Collection featuring XEXEX
Gradius Collection
Parodius Collection

Currently this is my entire PSP collection and I have no regrets. Fantastic compilations.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Fistwell said:
Yeah, i remember reading that mission objectives were very specific and annoying. The game does look pretty though. I'll probably give it a shot at some point.
Although... i'm only just finishing up disgaea right now. Then i need to go back and wrap up jeanne d'arc (roughly halfway through), then play fft beyond the first mission...
So, yeah, i'll get to it.
About 12 to 15 years from now...

yeah, you should totally start a LTTP thread when you do, i need someone to motivate me to give the game a try... :p:p

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am getting a PSP next week as well. Getting the Madden bundle along with Space Invaders Extreme. Should be good for my trip to Detriot.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Glute.Belly said:
yikes! is that how it looks on the psp???

nice

i'll be grabbing one next month for metal gear acid 2 & CoO

934395_20060922_screen002.jpg

934395_20070413_screen011.jpg

934395_20070413_screen028.jpg

934395_20070413_screen029.jpg

934395_20070413_screen032.jpg

934395_20070413_screen034.jpg

934395_20070413_screen035.jpg

934395_20070413_screen037.jpg

934395_20070413_screen038.jpg

934395_20070228_screen004.jpg

934395_20060922_screen001.jpg

934395_20070712_screen009.jpg

934395_20070712_screen010.jpg

awesome game, but be warned, it's pretty hardcore.

EDIT: it looks much much better in motion. screens don't do this game justice.

I quit Monster Hunter Freedom 2 after cheating to beat Tigrex. =(

-Go to the area where he's chilling and lure him to the edge of the area.
-Devil Slicer like a whore
-Get hit and thus knocked into the next area and safely out of reach
-Heal/grindstone/???
-Run back in and Devil Slicer like a whore
-boss dies in like 2 minutes

For awhile I could stand toe to claw with him but once he gets pissed off all it takes is a charge combo and I'm going for a ride in the kitty kart.

Amazing game though, I'd probably put more time into it if I didn't have to deal with the PSP's rather finicky analog pad(my thumb is basically ruined after 4 or 5 hours of play).

Oh and I'm definitely grabbing the Star Ocean remakes which are due out(in the US) fairly soon.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Amazing game though, I'd probably put more time into it if I didn't have to deal with the PSP's rather finicky analog pad(my thumb is basically ruined after 4 or 5 hours of play).

this has solved all my problems at controlling my PSP:
- nub replacement (large, and PS2-like).
- comfy D-pad (adhered), pretty damn firm too.

2ef8iom.jpg

dirt cheap accessory set (3 kinds of D-pads, 6 nubs) for $15.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Flakster99 said:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Zhaocraventiger/toughsob.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

WOW! forgot that that awesome game existed... i never bought the game, just tried it for 10 minutes. i think i know what PSP game to get next.

Top Bottom