• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

kuYuri

Prepare to drop.

sctjpv.jpg

Replace the above with Halo stuff.

Sibylus

Banned
raYne said:
What they should do is have an action sequence overlayed with one of your existing saved films (if applicable). Seeing "yourself" as Chief handling business from the ODST's perspective would be great.
That would be pretty sweet, aside from the obvious compatibility problems :lol

GodfatherX said:
that was kinda my point with my previous post, why would a single ODST drop later then the rest?
That may not be the case -- according to someone's trailer analysis, that 'late' drop pod may not be the last, but the first:

http://podtacular.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=350703#350703

I'm still hoping for a 3rd person game (with cover), but I would think that would be too much of a departure to still call it Halo 3: (Whatever). Maybe not.

If it is, calling it Halo 3: (Whatever) might be selling the title short because lots of people would naturally assume that it's merely an expansion pack when it would be worthy of being considered a full game on its own.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
How the hell wasn't I aware of this supposed expansion of halo??
*watches trailer*

wtf?
:/

If the expansion thang is good then I'll buy.

raYne

Botolf said:
That would be pretty sweet, aside from the obvious compatibility problems :lol
Not really. It obviously couldn't be done during gameplay, but in cutscene form with the same section of the city (or whatever other shared environment) could be done without much trouble.

Sibylus

Banned
raYne said:
Not really. It obviously couldn't be done during gameplay, but in cutscene form with the same section of the city (or whatever other shared environment) could be done without much trouble.
Oh, I thought you meant a process that involved somehow grabbing data from Halo 2 :lol

Edit: That is, of course, assuming this game is set in H2's timespan (there wouldn't be an explanation of the Chief's presence in NM otherwise).

knowing how much their fans read into countdowns and teases i'd think bungie would've revealed more than this. too much baiting for just a teaser imo. it's odd how they like to interact with their community as much as they do while at times seeming so out of touch with them

but complaining that there's more halo is ridiculous. it's clearly not their only project and new ips are coming. if you don't like halo, then don't buy it. they're definitely not a one-track studio anymore

i'm looking forward to this, whatever it really is, with caution

FrankT

Any theories yet on this supposed Maddie figure?

Just ran across this any truth at at all to it?

In one of the Halo books, master chief is talking to Linda (one of the other spartans) and he accidentally refers to her as Maddie, it has absolutely nothing to do with the missing child.

MrHicks said:
bungie has been nothing but a halo factory since forever
how stupid for yet another halo...

kill this franchise already
the "fight was finished" lets have some new ip's for fecks sake

GTFO if you are not interested in halo. Do you really think Bungie has been developing nothing except a halo 3 campaign expansion? Maybe it is part of their split agreement with MS to finish the expansion. I'm pretty sure Bungie is working on new IP's they just have not announced anything detail wise. And the Halo franchise has not been overdone, to compare whate are we on now number 3? What about final fantasy 13, resident even 5, or some other top game series.

clashfan

I wonder if they are going to have more scripted events like COD4? I'm remember an interview with Bungie where they said they like those parts of COD4...

mood

clashfan said:
I wonder if they are going to have more scripted events like COD4? I'm remember an interview with Bungie where they said they like those parts of COD4...

More great set pieces would be good and of course there's scripting certain moments, but please keep COD4 spawn triggers out of Halo.

MrDaravon

Just got home from work and haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but something I noticed something offhand. Now I'm pretty rusty on the Halo lore, but the books are considered canon, even though they never reference them in the games for the most part (like the other surviving spartans, etc), right? Well we've got this image:

a2wx3n.jpg

Now Jtyettis posted this:

Jtyettis said:
In one of the Halo books, master chief is talking to Linda (one of the other spartans) and he accidentally refers to her as Maddie, it has absolutely nothing to do with the missing child.

I don't specifically recall that, but if this was true, is it possible they could use this as a way to introduce Linda/Maddie, or some of the other surviving spartans, possibly leading ODST squads or something? The timeline technically fits; the New Mombasa attack happened on October 20th, 2552. According to Halopedia:

Following her return to Earth, Linda, as well as Fred and Will, were called upon to perform a number of operations during the Second Battle of Earth up until November 3rd, 2552. These operations included numerous operations in orbit around Earth, such as stopping a Covenant invasion on Mount Erebus in Antarctica with a HAVOK tactical nuke, and destroying Covenant forces on the sea floor off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

Probably reading too much into it, but kinda interesting.

FrankT

SailorDaravon said:
Just got home from work and haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but something I noticed something offhand. Now I'm pretty rusty on the Halo lore, but the books are considered canon, even though they never reference them in the games for the most part (like the other surviving spartans, etc), right? Well we've got this image:

a2wx3n.jpg

I don't specifically recall that, but if this was true, is it possible they could use this as a way to introduce Linda/Maddie, or some of the other surviving spartans, possibly leading ODST squads or something? The timeline technically fits; the New Mombasa attack happened on October 20th, 2552. According to Halopedia:

Nice find.

joey_z

Banned
SailorDaravon said:

a2wx3n.jpg

Good find!

Hero

After all the hype, speculation and effort that went into promoting that I don't understand how you guys could be satisfied with a teaser like that.

Any other company would've released a name, release date, gameplay details or even videos, etc. But a teaser? And before anyone idiot tries to go "B-b-but what did you expect from a teaser?" nobody from Bungie ever said that what we were getting this morning was supposed to be only a teaser.

Ramirez

Hero said:
After all the hype, speculation and effort that went into promoting that I don't understand how you guys could be satisfied with a teaser like that.

Any other company would've released a name, release date, gameplay details or even videos, etc. But a teaser? And before anyone idiot tries to go "B-b-but what did you expect from a teaser?" nobody from Bungie ever said that what we were getting this morning was supposed to be only a teaser.

We knew it would be the thing from E3, which had been hinted to be a 60 second trailer. People who expected a gameplay demo, release date, etc. are morons.

Hero said:

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. I thought the industry was past this stage of hyping about hype about a CGI teaser about a game that we...don't even know what stage it's at.

It's just fucking tiring, this hype machine is out of control.

Ramirez said:
We knew it would be the thing from E3, which had been hinted to be a 60 second trailer. People who expected a gameplay demo, release date, etc. are morons.

yea but the name of the new game/expansion/whatever isn't much to ask now is it?

Hero

Ramirez said:

This entire thread seems to contradict what you are trying to say.

GhaleonEB

Doodis said:
Wow, I never knew that existed. Was this the only cut scene included with the map pack?
Yes, it was a bonus video on the Halo 2 retail map pack. Bungie used it as an exercise to iterate on their cinematics pipeline when Halo 3 was in early pre-production.

I posted it many, many pages back when I was starting to get excited for an ODST-based shooter. Mmm mmmm mmmm.

Good.

Is this the right time period that this expansion is set in?

SPARTAN-104, SPARTAN-058, and SPARTAN-043 were defending Earth during the span of two weeks shortly after In Amber Clad disappeared pursuing the Prophet of Regret. The SPARTANs were conducting surgical strikes against Covenant Forces in the Antarctic, Mexico, and Cuba. On November 3, 2552, shortly after completing an operation in which involved using the Centennial Orbital Elevator in Havana, Cuba to stop deploying Covenant forces in the area, Blue Team was re-directed to aid Dr. Catherine Halsey on Onyx. Blue Team captures the Bloodied Spirit and heads straight for Onyx.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Second_Battle_of_Earth

Because SPARTAN-058 is Linda / Maddie: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/SPARTAN-058

clashfan

Hero said:

I see you are not part of the faithful. This teaser is suppose to test the faith of Bungie and MS fans. Only the faithful will be rewarded in the end. Be fair warn...

clashfan said:
I see you are not part of the faithful. This teaser is suppose to test the faith of Bungie and MS fans. Only the faithful will be rewarded in the end. Be fair warn...
What is this brainwashing cult, Scientology?

MrHicks

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
GTFO if you are not interested in halo. Do you really think Bungie has been developing nothing except a halo 3 campaign expansion? Maybe it is part of their split agreement with MS to finish the expansion. I'm pretty sure Bungie is working on new IP's they just have not announced anything detail wise. And the Halo franchise has not been overdone, to compare whate are we on now number 3? What about final fantasy 13, resident even 5, or some other top game series.

who says i agree with the final fantasy and res evil milking?
don't put words is my mouth

Kibbles

permutated said:
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. I thought the industry was past this stage of hyping about hype about a CGI teaser about a game that we...don't even know what stage it's at.

It's just fucking tiring, this hype machine is out of control.
Well it's not even "a new game that we... don't know even know what stage it's at", it's just SP expansion.

qirex99

Banned
Cerrius said:
Definitely.

Halo 3 is an ugly game. Especially when compared to something like Call of Duty 4's smooth 60 FPS.
really? then move on.

If you dont see the ways that H3 eclipses COD4 (and only the way that COD4 eclipses H3) then clearly, the better game for you is COD4.

Move along, nothing to see...really!

Hootie

Psychotext said:
Is this the right time period that this expansion is set in?

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Second_Battle_of_Earth

Because SPARTAN-058 is Linda / Maddie: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/SPARTAN-058

Oh shiiiiiiiiit.

Playing as the other Spartans would be so awesome. I recommend anyone who hasn't read "The Fall of Reach" to do so as soon as possible. It contains some awesome info on how John (Master Chief) and all the other Spartans grew up/died/etc.

Plus Captain Keyes fucking pwns the Covenant in an epic space battle in the book, too. :lol

Hmmm... my money is now on this being straight up Halo 3 gameplay, with you playing another spartan taking over fighting the covenant after In Amber Clad and Master Chief follow the covenant during Halo 2.

Like every other Spartan in books comics and elsewhere in halo mythos i'm sure you'll die heroically at the end or get trapped in some forerunner vault or something by the end of the game... just so they can keep Master Chief going as the one and only Spartan in the main series.

TDG

Banned
MrHicks said:
who says i agree with the final fantasy and res evil milking?
don't put words is my mouth
He didn't put words in your mouth. He said "what about ff13..." he was asking a question. Reading comprehension ftl.

qirex99

Banned
soldat7 said:
I guess Bungie could have left out the saved films and screens feature to add additional layers of trickery. Seriously, the fact that you can pause, rotate, rewind, and manipulate the HDR with ease is a monumental feat. The technology behind all that is incredible and the lighting engine alone is second to none. The poor IQ can certainly be played given the amount of aliasing but come on, low polycount? That's silly.

Thats exactly how I feel. Of course, some pple never watch the video of themselves going full killing frenzy, stciking a spiker that crosses a shield and results in a triple kill...with three seconds left...

THEN sending the guy you JUSt beat by one point the pic...priceless.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Here we are a couple months past E3 and all they have is a rendered teaser?
What were they planning on showing at E3, some doodles on a napkin?
They should kiss MS's collective asses for making them wait to show this. From where I'm sitting, it's still too early.

Top Bottom