• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

Falagard

Kibbles said:
Yeah the message Bungie had pop up when starting up Halo 3 says 'new game'. Seriously, all this excitement leading up to what we thought was a new game... what we were told was a new game. I mean, I'm still excited as hell for this but I'm also still a wee bit disappointed that it's not an actual new game.

Seriously, dude - don't get disappointed over something unless you know what it is. It could be a 12+ hour campaign game that you can play with 8 player co-op that's a 3rd person shooter with a cover system. It could be just about anything at this point. If that isn't a "new game" then I don't know what is.

I doubt it's anything that spectacular, but we don't know yet.

Since we don't know what it is, there's not really anything to be disappointed about.

i wanna see if bungie can make something that is not bight colored power rangers and aliens. if they can make a realistically grounded.. drama or adventure game i will concede they really know how to make games. as of now what they have made is good (most say great) but its almost all the same.

oni doesnt count.

Shinz Kicker said:
i wanna see if bungie can make something that is not bight colored power rangers and aliens. if they can make a realistically grounded.. drama or adventure game i will concede they really know how to make games. as of now what they have made is good (most say great) but its almost all the same.

oni doesnt count.

It has bright colors so its just a "good" game?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shinz Kicker said:

oni doesnt count.

Did someone give a Bnet user the keys to GAF? Shame on them.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Shinz Kicker said:
i will concede they really know how to make games.

I can only imagine the collective fist pump that will occur in the studio when this day finally comes.

Kibbles

Falagard said:
Seriously, dude - don't get disappointed over something unless you know what it is. It could be a 12+ hour campaign game that you can play with 8 player co-op that's a 3rd person shooter with a cover system. It could be just about anything at this point. If that isn't a "new game" then I don't know what is.

I doubt it's anything that spectacular, but we don't know yet.

Since we don't know what it is, there's not really anything to be disappointed about.
I never said I was completely disappointed, I said I'm still excited as hell for this, but I'm also a wee bit disappointed that this wasn't a new game (like Don Mattrick and even Bungie said in the message that popped up). We do know fissure that it's a new Campaign Experience for Halo 3. You can't change the game up a whole lot, I'm not expecting any of that, and nobody else should. So I'm keeping my expectations low for now. If they do somehow change up the game that much and it's that long then great! If not, it'll still be great, I wasn't expecting said drastic changes. CG Teaser was a bit of a downer too, but hey, hopefully the speculation is true that they'll show some in-game stuff at TGS and explain this a bit more.

StranGER

FinFan said:
I mostly agree with all of your responses. I think the biggest problem is trying to wrap my head around the statement of "New" and the "Halo 3" references. If the game play is essentially the same as Halo 3, then it isn't new. Furthermore, if it's a totally new game play "experience" why have it say "Halo 3" instead of just "Halo"?

there are a bajillion part 2 part 3's that are just the same type of game play as the 1st.
why does this have to be the exception to the rule?

Kibbles said:
I never said I was completely disappointed, I said I'm still excited as hell for this, but I'm also a wee bit disappointed that this wasn't a new game (like Don Mattrick and even Bungie said in the message that popped up). We do know fissure that it's a new Campaign Experience for Halo 3. You can't change the game up a whole lot, I'm not expecting any of that, and nobody else should. So I'm keeping my expectations low for now. If they do somehow change up the game that much and it's that long then great! If not, it'll still be great, I wasn't expecting said drastic changes. CG Teaser was a bit of a downer too, but hey, hopefully the speculation is true that they'll show some in-game stuff at TGS and explain this a bit more.

I think this would be a great opportunity to jump off the shameless Bungie viral hype bandwagon.

Honestly, unless they come out and say "there's going to be a big gameplay reveal on this date", don't believe it's going to happen. After what happened last year with Halo 3, I'm sure they passed on the exclusive to Game Informer or EGM.

Shinz Kicker said:

oni doesnt count.

Halo 3 is up there with the best games I've played and I disagree with you.

i like halo as a series but it was more of an evolution to marathon than a whole new game. i just wanna see bungie do a complete departure from that world. im sure some of there really hard working staff want to do something other than the type of world halo and marathon take place in.

soldat7

Shinz Kicker said:
i like halo as a series but it was more of an evolution to marathon than a whole new game. i just wanna see bungie do a complete departure from that world. im sure some of there really hard working staff want to do something other than the type of world halo and marathon take place in.

Halo and Marathon the same? No, they are quite different despite sharing many similarities.

The world needs a next-gen Marathon game. Badly.

Shinz Kicker said:

Myth? One of the best real time strategy games? I'm upset Halo Wars isn't more along the lines of Myth. No resource management and all.

Heretic

last time, the wait was this long

l--------------------------------------------------------l

this time, the wait is this long

l--------------------------------------------l

so it's shorter than what the wait was before =)

i'm so excited to see what's coming up. they don't have to show us anything and we'd still garner hype from somewhere. Bungie has been amazing when it comes to community interaction. This teaser is doing exactly what it was set out to do. give us a glimpse of what's to come and have us speculative till the cows come home. i'd love to know more but if this is all we're getting for now, i'm ok with it.

i have faith in Bungie and i know that their next game is going to kick ass.

i hope we play as ODST's though. Helljumpers kick almost as much ass as the Chief does.

<3 Bungie

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
What Luke was referring to was when someone asked a while back about when we'd be getting info on Bungie's next project. He responded (I think), something like "it won't be as long as the wait in between Halo 2 and the announcement of Halo 3" (paraphrased from memory). I could be wrong on the examples given, and I don't remember when he posted it, so it doesn't do us a lot of good. I tried searching for his post, but I couldn't find it.

I would guess that 1-2 months would be a reasonable amount of time.

Scarecrow

My friends and I just finished off the Halo 3 campaign(again) the other night. And, while it was super fun, I'm still dissapointed in the story.

I'm hoping this expansion rectifies that weakness.

I spent more time than I should have on this, so it is going on GAF as well as AJ

So basically we have very few options as to how this campaign expansion is going to be released.

It appears completely plausible that the new campaign experience, along with all the new maps will be available via DLC. The Oblivion expansion was over 1.5 gigs so any size limitations you might think there are would be squashed via this precedent.

The real question appears as to what the disks on the shelves will contain and at what cost. Unverified tests show there to be nearly 3.5 gigs left on the Halo 3 disk. This would leave room for 6 new maps, 1 gig, and a campaign extension, 2.5 gigs. If Bungie went with this option, I could reason a selling price of $60. Each map pack has sold for 800 points, about $10. The current selling price of Halo 3 is $50, and the fact that this game is 1 year old, -$10. Bungie and Micro$oft would have to swallow the fact that every currently unsold and pressed disk of Halo 3 would be majorly devalued at the announcement of this expansion disk. This would be tough, coupled with the unknown of the space restriction and this seems to be an unlikely scenario.

Another possibility is, following the Halo 2 post launch map pack disk release, a separate disk containing all after-launch maps and the campaign expansion. Estimated cost at around $40, $20 for the new maps and $20 for the campaign expansion. This disk would then be loaded on your HDD and only be playable with the Halo 3 disk in the drive. Abuse would quickly arise, as in Halo 2, where the disk would be passed around to be loaded on several xbox’s. It is possible some sort of access code could accompany the disk, like most modern software packages, to protect Micro$oft from losing out on much needed revenue (sarcasm added).

The last option would be an exclusive DLC release. This would really create a surge in sales of all the unsold copies of Halo 3 on the shelf. Those who play Halo 3 regularly are going to be downloading this expansion no matter what the disk choices are. If Bungie is planning on a making a new game, which we all assume they are, they would want to get every copy of Halo 3 off the shelf and into a console that they possibly could before announcing this new game. What better way to do that than with a price drop and campaign expansion only available through DLC? They drop the price of Halo 3 to somewhere around $40, charge $15 for the campaign expansion via DLC and continue with their current $10 a pop for each map pack. Include the silver membership with the purchase of the game and you have a recipe for something that could bake some money.

Striker

Very nice observation.

Has the 6 maps that will be released been discussed in terms of how they will be released? One pack of six or two packs of three?

Merguson

Banned
The Tokyo Game Show 2008 will be held from October 9th through the 12th. Days 1 and 2 will be open only to the press while Days 3 and 4 will be open to the general public.

Brian and Luke are, as you read this, witnessing the marvel that is the beautiful city of Tokyo.
From the recent BWU. http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15659

There's a lot of speculation about the "new Halo 3 content" being revealed at TGS. It appears the rumors are based on Bungie's new game, and not other content, like the maps.

Top Bottom