• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the irony. :p

Wario could have been the Mario clone and not Dr. Mario in Melee, but Sakurai thought Wario deserved better.

The unfortunate problem with the DK franchises and Wario franchises (Wario Land is considered more closer to Mario than WarioWare) are that they are by extension considered related to the Mario series (not really a justifiable excuse imo), but I'm confident we will get some new stages for both of them in the Wii U version. Sucks they get no new stages for the 3DS version.

Can't say I'm expecting much for Wario stage-wise on Wii U; honestly I figure if we do, it'll just be a WarioWare 2.

DK is in a tight spot with retro levels on the Wii U so chances are good he gets a level just because of that.

Jungle Japes is on the 3DS
Traditionally, vertical scrolling stages weren't ported as retro levels because of different jump physics and stuff so they'd have to be adjusted. So Rumble Falls is out
And 75M is probably the worst level in Brawl and doesn't represent the series well enough to be DK's only level.

I'm getting very worried for the Wii U release date. We're like 3 months away from the end of the year and still no date...
Most major retailers and Nintendo of France(?) have the date for Nov 21. They probably don't want to officially announce a date because it will undermine 3ds versions release/sales

Pyrokai

Is anyone expecting a new Smash trailer before Wii U release? I just want one that highlights all the new stuff in the Wii U version.
especially the extra characters they added that are 3DS DLC

Drago

I'm still sorta shocked that Wario was made an unlockable in this game. Like, I dunno why I am, but he just feels like he should be there on the starting roster. Then again he had to be unlocked in MK7 as well so it isn't exactly the first time something like this happened, hah.

Fun fact; Wario is the only Smash character that debuted as a starting character and was made unlockable in a later entry. :0

georly

Previous characters (click to view)

Stealing your format for Link to be consistent

NOTE: NOW UPDATED WITH ACTUAL NAMES AND DESCRIPTIONS

This time it's Link, the Hero of Time!

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 1 (Hero's Bow)
"Fires an arrow. The longer you hold the button, the stronger the shot."

Oj05Ypn.jpg
vSZuSgm.jpg

Link's bow and arrow are back. Very similar to brawl. 3% uncharged, 10-13% fully charged depending on distance. No real knockback but causes some interruption. Arcs to the ground if not fully charged. Can travel the whole stage fully charged, and about half the stage uncharged.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 2 (Power Bow)
"Shorter-range arrows, but if you draw the bow fully, they'll deal a hefty blow."

Kc1QIrZ.jpg
JXDG4jT.jpg

These arrows must be heavy. Uncharged it falls STRAIGHT to the ground. Does 3% damage uncharged. Fully charged, however, is where this arrow shines. Does roughly 20% damage but actually has knockback. Can KO at about 100%. ESPECIALLY if using it once the opponent is off the stage. Can not be used to edge guard as it disappears as soon as it gets to below link's feet.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 3 (Quickfire Bow)
"Rapid-fire arrows that can pass through enemies to hit others."

9fIhPIR.jpg

Covers less distance and has magical sound effects, but the arrow always flies straight and disappears at the end of its path rather than hitting the ground. It also has a piercing effect! Fully charged arrow goes roughly twice as far. Does 2% uncharged, 8% fully charged. No Knockback at all. Like all piercing effects, is probably better for FFA than 1v1.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 1 (Gale Boomerang)
"Deals damage on its way out, and can pull opponents toward you on its way back."

v7M7dJW.jpg

The all new-and-improved gale boomerang! Travels at a decent speed, similar to smash 64, and does about 6% damage and has an interrupt effect. Also, it only has the tornado effect coming back, which pulls enemies toward you. You can angle it up/down right after execution.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 2 (Boomerang)
"A normal boomerang with good attack power, but it won't pull opponents."

DYEPWl6.jpg

Behaves similar in speed/functionality as toon link's default boomerang. Does 5, 7, or 9% depending on distance from your target. Does 3% on the way back. No real knockback, but causes an interrupt.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 3 (Ripping Boomerang)
"A short-range boomerang that passes through opponents, dealing multiple hits."

B8OugGP.jpg
wCpMsIe.jpg

Doesn't go as far (roughly half the distance of the other two boomerangs) and goes half as fast, BUT it has a piercing effect and can hit multiple times (going away AND coming back). Does 4% up close, then 2% going out, then 1% each hit on the way back. Seemingly no knockback.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 1 (Spin Attack)
"Strike opponents while spinning. Acts as a jump if used in midair."

8ZAweqr.jpg

Similar to how it was in brawl, but it seems like knockback has been improved. Can also be charged up for more damage and knockback. 12% uncharged, and 20% fully charged. Takes roughly 2 seconds to charge to full, similar to the length of a fully charged smash attack.

For recovery, it seems to cover more vertical distance than it did in brawl, as well. It's multihit in the air, with the last hit having some decent knockback (though not likely to be used as a KO move unless they're at above 150% or so).

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 2 (Shocking Spin Attack)
"Strong and electrical, but sideways motion is reduced and it leaves you vulnerable."

0fn9lqO.jpg
8oYGcGB.jpg

Similar to the other spin attack, but it has the same 'black lightning' effect that robin's levin sword has when he hits with it (sound effects and all). Does more damage and knockback at the cost of vertical distance with the recovery. Really strong on the ground. 14% uncharged, 23% fully charged, can actually be used as a kill move. Killed ganondorf bot at 80% fully charged and at about 110% uncharged at the edge of the gerudo final destination stage.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 3 (Whirling Leap)
"Sends you soaring high into the air, but doesn't deal any damage to opponents."

6fTgdbl.jpg

Similar to one of mario's variations, this one allows you to cover more horizontal (and seemingly the same vertical distance) at the cost of doing no damage (as far as I can tell). It also covers the distance much quicker. If used on the ground, it forces you to go upwards and has no ground-only variation. This is simply for better recovery, but serves no other purpose.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 1 (Bomb)
"Pull out a throwable bomb that explodes on impact or when the fuse runs out."

4sj6nXO.jpg

Does about 6% damage, with some very minor knockback. Similar to his brawl bomb.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 2 (Giant Bomb)
"Pull out a huge bomb that makes a huge boom. (Where the heck does Link keep these things?!)"

vh2M6FO.jpg
XpgtplI.jpg

A much bigger bomb, with a much MUCH bigger blast radius. It takes slightly longer to remove from the bomb bag, but the major downside is that it does not explode (nor do any damage at all) if you hit someone with it. It always explodes on a timer (of roughly 5 seconds). Does about 8% and no knockback whatsoever.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 3 (Meteor bomb)
"Pull out a short-fused bomb that has a meteor effect on airborne foes."

M4tHqyj.gif

Quicker to pull out of the bomb bag, throws faster, but only does 5%. The crux of these, however, is that they have a meteor effect, so they're fantastic for using on enemies off the stage. Pretty great, honestly.
Edit: Playing around with it some more, the bombs detonate a bit faster (3-4 seconds) and they drop faster, so it's harder to hit enemies further off stage. without jumping first. Meteor effect is one of the least powerful ones in the game, but it's enough to kill most characters with mediocre to bad vertical distance on their recovery. Someone like pit would survive, but not ganondorf, or even mario, without having their 2nd jump left.

Final Thoughts

Some of these are pretty great, especially the stronger spin attack and arrows. The quick bombs are useful for bomb spam too. I love the new default boomerang, though, since it's quick and gets the job done, so I'm not a fan of the custom ones. I'm also not sure if the stronger spin attack's lack of recovery is worth it, but then I suppose you'd prioritize tether recovery with that build. I think his bomb special 3 might be a bit too good, because having a ranged projectile meteor is pretty incredible. I guess to balance things out, the meteor effect isn't THAT strong, but that's still a pretty sick move.

My loadout is 2123. The arrows are really fun to KO with if you're good at aiming them. Really good for KOing once they're off the stage. The stronger spin attack is really satisfying to hit with, just like the levin sword, so I think i'll try that out for a while and just focus on tether recovery. Since bombs are all about bomb spam anyway, the quicker bombs are incredibly useful. That and the meteor effect might actually be TOO good.

Bonus - Actual pictures of the custom moves (calling masked man!):

PdHbOO2.jpg
mb3c5PJ.jpg

s73n1wi.jpg
QqWeL2T.jpg

xZ58Naw.jpg
YFddghk.jpg

ftrbgpa.jpg
m6uSyVf.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I was speculating on DLC...

Assuming Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Kids, and Dixie aren't DLC, but rather Wii U "Exclusive" like Spainkiller said, here's my idea, four packs released each quarter of 2015.

Melee Medley Pack
Your favorite Melee characters return once more to partake in Smash! The Melee Medley Pack includes:

* Classic Veterans Ice Climbers & Roy return on the 3DS & Wii U, revamped and remodeled!
* PokeFloats and Flatzone return for the 3DS! The Wii U, meanwhile, has Icicle Mountain and Fountain of Dreams.
* Includes new alt colors for the newcomers of Melee and 64!

Brawl Flashback Pack
The champions of Brawl return once more to enter the Smash Battle! The Brawl Flashback Pack includes:

* Classic Veterans Lucas & Wolf return on the 3DS & Wii U, revamped and remodeled!
* New Pork City & Luigi's Mansion return for the 3DS! The Wii U, meanwhile, has Space Armada & Frigate Orpheon!
* Includes new alt colors for the newcomers of Brawl!

Smash Sister Pack
New female fighters make their appearance in the world of Smash Brothers! The Smash Sister Pack includes:

* Newcomers Jill & Lip make their debut!
* New Style Jam With the Band Stage for the 3DS, and New Panel de Pon Stage for the Wii U.
* Includes brand new outfits for all female Smashers! Wedding Dress Princess Peach, Space Federation Outfit for ZSS, SS Outfit Zelda, etc.

Legendary Heroes Pack
Heroes always arrive late! These famed warriors finally get the chance to test their mettle against the Smash Brothers! The Legendary Heroes Pack includes...

* Newcomers Isaac & Wonder Red
* New Golden Sun Stage for the 3DS, and Wonderful 101 Stage for the Wii U.
* Includes brand new outfits for all "heroic" Smashers! SS Link, Pajama Toon Link, Classic Clothes Marth, etc.

(don't know if you noticed, but each character set has one handheld character, one console character)

Most of these stages suck though.

Congo Jungle - This one was actually okay, wish they'd bring it back.
Kongo Jungle - Rushing water and random klaptraps.
Jungle Japes - Random klaptraps.
Rumble Falls - Horrible scrolling stage.
75m - Way too big and arguably one of the worst stages in the history of Smash.

Planet Zebes - Shitty rising acid.
Brinstar - Shitty rising acid.
Brinstar Depths - No ledges, and awkward terrain.
Norfair - Shitty rising lava.
Frigate Orpheon - This one was actually okay.
Pyrosphere - Based on a shitty game, plus Ridley's probably a boss character that will ruin the stage like the Yellow Devil ruins the Mega Man stage.

I just want a great Metroid Prime stage and a great DKC stage. Is that so much to ask? :(

A lot of people would argue that EB got its first great stage w/ this game. Onett's a walk-off w/ walls and stage hazards, Fourside has a lot of ways to trap certain characters, and New Pork City is New Pork City :v

I'm still sorta shocked that Wario was made an unlockable in this game. Like, I dunno why I am, but he just feels like he should be there on the starting roster. Then again he had to be unlocked in MK7 as well so it isn't exactly the first time something like this happened, hah.

Fun fact; Wario is the only Smash character that debuted as a starting character and was made unlockable in a later entry. :0
I think with Luigi's rising popularity, they decided to swap the two characters' positions as hidden/starting. Wario is scary, but the death stare is scarier.

Watch Da Birdie

Onett and Fourside are two of my favorite Smash levels ever!

And I don't even care about Mother...except in Smash. Otherwise I'm the biggest anti-Mother Fan there is.

Cse

Banned
I'm getting very worried for the Wii U release date. We're like 3 months away from the end of the year and still no date...

They have to release this at the midst of the holiday shopping season. If they plan on releasing the game a week or two before Christmas, then they might as well wait until 2015.

Valus

Stealing your format for Link to be consistent

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time it's Link

Sick!! Thanks for the writeup man. That's some great stuff.

So, I was speculating on DLC...

Assuming Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Kids, and Dixie aren't DLC, but rather Wii U "Exclusive" like Spainkiller said, here's my idea, four packs released each quarter of 2015.

Melee Medley Pack
Your favorite Melee characters return once more to partake in Smash! The Melee Medley Pack includes:

* Classic Veterans Ice Climbers & Roy return on the 3DS & Wii U, revamped and remodeled!
* PokeFloats and Flatzone return for the 3DS! The Wii U, meanwhile, has Icicle Mountain and Fountain of Dreams.
* Includes new alt colors for the newcomers of Melee and 64!

Brawl Flashback Pack
The champions of Brawl return once more to enter the Smash Battle! The Brawl Flashback Pack includes:

* Classic Veterans Lucas & Wolf return on the 3DS & Wii U, revamped and remodeled!
* New Pork City & Luigi's Mansion return for the 3DS! The Wii U, meanwhile, has Space Armada & Frigate Orpheon!
* Includes new alt colors for the newcomers of Brawl!

Smash Sister Pack
New female fighters make their appearance in the world of Smash Brothers! The Smash Sister Pack includes:

* Newcomers Jill & Lip make their debut!
* New Style Jam With the Band Stage for the 3DS, and New Panel de Pon Stage for the Wii U.
* Includes brand new outfits for all female Smashers! Wedding Dress Princess Peach, Space Federation Outfit for ZSS, SS Outfit Zelda, etc.

Legendary Heroes Pack
Heroes always arrive late! These famed warriors finally get the chance to test their mettle against the Smash Brothers! The Legendary Heroes Pack includes...

* Newcomers Isaac & Wonder Red
* New Golden Sun Stage for the 3DS, and Wonderful 101 Stage for the Wii U.
* Includes brand new outfits for all "heroic" Smashers! SS Link, Pajama Toon Link, Classic Clothes Marth, etc.

(don't know if you noticed, but each character set has one handheld character, one console character)
Even though Roy will forever be my boy, it would be crazy to have a Melee vet pack without Mewtwo.

The big question on my mind is why Lucario is a starter if he isn't being used in marketing at all, isn't terribly popular, and isn't even really used in any UI elements that couldn't just be swapped with whoever.

A lot of people would argue that EB got its first great stage w/ this game. Onett's a walk-off w/ walls and stage hazards, Fourside has a lot of ways to trap certain characters, and New Pork City is New Pork City :v

Oh, I'm not arguing against Earthbound and F-Zero getting new stages. Just that I'd really like to see better stages for Metroid and DK, and I'm super salty that neither got a new stage this time.

DK is in a tight spot with retro levels on the Wii U so chances are good he gets a level just because of that.

Jungle Japes is on the 3DS
Traditionally, scrolling stages weren't ported as retro levels because of different jump physics and stuff so they'd have to be adjusted. So Rumble Falls is out
And 75M is probably the worst level in Brawl and doesn't represent the series well enough to be DK's only level.

True story, but I actually didn't realize 75M was a DK stage initially when I was replaying Brawl recently.

Valus

Was hoping you'd find it! Woo.

I logged on GAF and the moment I checked out the thread, your post was literally the most recent one when I checked. It was destiny!

How bad is Link's recovery with the magic spin attack? Like N64 bad? The tradeoff sounds legit as long as he's not totally gimped. Does it also wreck as an aerial? Or only on the ground?

Edit: Meteor bombs?! You can't be serious. Holy crap.

Drago

The big question on my mind is why Lucario is a starter if he isn't being used in marketing at all, isn't terribly popular, and isn't even really used in any UI elements that couldn't just be swapped with whoever.
Maybe Pokemon Company wanted all the big Pokemon revealed before launch, if they have control over that kind of thing? I dunno.

Watch Da Birdie

Even though Roy will forever be my boy, it would be crazy to have a Melee vet pack without Mewtwo.

Read the beginning of my post, this was DLC in addition to the rumored Wii U - 3DS connectivity unlocks, which includes Mewtwo.

georly

I logged on GAF and the moment I checked out the thread, your post was literally the most recent one when I checked. It was destiny!

How bad is Link's recovery with the magic spin attack? Like N64 bad? The tradeoff sounds legit as long as he's not totally gimped. Does it also wreck as an aerial? Or only on the ground?

Edit: Meteor bombs?! You can't be serious. Holy crap.

I'll have to play around with it, but if you've played the demo, it goes roughly half as high. Pretty huge tradeoff. Playing around with it now.

Meteor bombs might be broken. Broken good.

Edit: Ok, so as an aerial it's not bad. Not nearly as good as on the ground, but definitely better than the default. Can multi hit better and usually chains into last hit. Last hit has more knockback for sure. But yes, i'd compare the height to N64.

Neiteio

I can definitely see how some would be disappointed with the stage selection. For me, though:

- Yoshi's Island is the perfect Yoshi stage. It captures the look and feel of the SNES game perfectly, and I love how it cycles through the four seasons. I can't really complain about this one coming back as the Yoshi stage.

- Corneria, DK Jungle and Brinstar Depths are starting to feel a bit dated. They're solid stages, though. Corneria, especially, is an all-time classic.

- Green Hill Zone, Distant Planet, Wario Ware and Mushroomy Kingdom, being Brawl stages (like Yoshi's Island), don't really bother me much with their inclusion here. I'm actually looking forward to Distant Planet in stereo 3D.

- Flat Land 2 (it's the Brawl one, right?) is the perfect Game & Watch stage, much like Yoshi's Island is the perfect Yoshi stage. It offers so much variety and represents so much from the world of Game & Watch.

Is that all of the returning stages? Onto the new:

- Golden Plains looks a bit... plain, in Final Destination form, but the coin collection gimmick during normal play looks interesting.

- 3D Land looks AWESOME. So many platforms -- brick blocks, flippers, music notes, rising/falling pipes, tilting platforms, destructible platforms, rotating blocks, etc -- with left-to-right, into-the-screen and downhill sections. Just WOW.

- Rainbow Road looks really solid. Gorgeous and magical, living up to its name. I like that the spaceship and moonscape were included, since that was one of my favorite touches in the MK7 course that appears to be the main point of inspiration here. :)

- Paper Mario also looks solid, although there are so many great locations in the PM series that there was no way this level would approach its full potential.

- Gerudo Valley is a wonderful pick for a Zelda stage. So many nice touches: The familiar waterfall, river, rope bridge, carpenter's tent, and fortress over the hills... The Song of Time playing when the fallen bridge reforms... And the two witches casting fire and ice spells to shut down one-half of the level. Good stuff!

- Spirit Tracks is another wonderful pick for a Zelda stage. The attaching/detaching train cars, the platforms flown in from the sides and above, and just the sense of adventure with the background rushing by and the triumphant music playing... It makes me smile.

- Mute City is one of the coolest stages EVER. I mean, your mileage may vary, but the nostalgia for Mode 7 graphics hits me HARD. They're possibly the first videogame graphics I ever saw, when I tried F-Zero alongside Super Mario World at a friend's house. Seeing the battle play out across the tops of the vehicles and nearby platforms is something I never would've expected but that works so perfectly. Those vehicle sprites are GOAT; I love that they're now part of the battle!

- Magicant lives up to the legacy of Melee's Onett with the sheer amount of detail packed into it. Probably the most voluminous "fan service" stage yet. Flying Man, Buzz-Buzz's Grave, Brick Man/Dungeon Man, Sprout, Skyrunner... I think I even saw a Phase Distorter in there. And of course there are all the memories of Mother 1 and Mother 2. Coupled with the dreamy pastel hues and haunting music... Just a perfect stage.

- Prism Tower combines my love of traveling stages and stages that change from day to night and back again. Pokémon X/Y were easily my favorite installments in the series, so seeing and hearing Lumiose City brings back fond memories (even if that particular location was rather frustrating to navigate in the actual Pokémon games!).

- Unova Pokémon League grows on me every time I see it. Reshiram is one of my all-time favorite Pokémon, so I'm thrilled whenever he shows up. I haven't seen Zekrom in action yet, but I presume he appears there, as well. I do think the random appearances by Milotic and others is a bit odd, but ah well. The castle under a gathering storm is a dramatic backdrop. I like the bridges that slide in and out, as well.

- Reset Bomb Forest is a great Kid Icarus stage. Its Final Destination form has a nice atmosphere to it. And its normal form, with the stage transformation brought on by the appearance of Viridi, is memorable. Based on one of my favorite chapters from Kid Icarus Uprising. :)

- Arena Ferox looks solid. I always liked the Pokémon Stadium-style stages with the transforming layouts. I'm a huge fan of Awakening, and I suspect there are locations from that game that would've been more interesting, but I struggle to come up with examples, so I think this is a solid pick.

- Gaur Plain is another stage I really appreciate, especially now that I'm deep into Xenoblade Chronicles. Probably some of the best music on the SSB3DS soundtrack. I love seeing Mechonis in the background and the transition from day to night. Really interesting layout, as well, with two angled platforms on either side.

- The brief glimpses I've seen of Pictochat 2 look really clever, although I'm puzzled why it's not a Swapnote stage. Still, I have more nostalgia for Pictochat, so it's still a win.

- The Find Mii stage looks a bit simple, but I really like the look of the dark lord (or whatever you call the boss there). I'm eager to collect his trophy. :p

- Living Room is a stage I didn't think I'd like but that's really grown on me. I like the changing layout and the warm feel-good scenery. And that vocal remix of the bath theme is amazing!

- I haven't seen much of Tomodachi Life in its normal form. Its Final Destination form looks rather plain, but has a simple charm to it that reminds me of Pilotwings SNES for some reason (probably the blue sky and ocean). Catchy music!

- Boxing Ring seems a bit underwhelming on 3DS compared to WiiU, even if the layout appears to be similar. But I still look forward to playing here. I just wish there were more Punch-Out references in the form of appearances by other boxers.

- Tortimer Island is a GREAT stage. I love the changing layout and the fruit falling from the trees and how Kap'n appears there before quickly speeding off (sometimes with players still on his boat). The sharks are a nice touch. Great atmosphere in this level!

- Kirby's Dream Land is probably one of the freshest ideas for a Kirby stage I've ever seen (including all of the fan-suggested ideas). I would've preferred a full-color 3D stage was included, as well, but I definitely appreciate what they did here, and I like how the stage scrolls to a number of locations, and how your character is outlined when fighting behind the frame of the Game Boy's screen.

- Balloon Fight is a GREAT stage. It's based on my favorite NES game, and it hits all of the right notes. I really love the Final Destination form of this level, as well, which has the cliff elevated high above the pixelated waters. :-D

- Dr. Wily's Castle looks underwhelming compared to its WiiU counterpart -- an ominous castle doesn't work well in broad daylight -- and the stage suffers from the frequent appearance of the Yellow Devil. But there's still something appealing about the level.

- Pac-Maze looks a bit sparse after playing Pac-Man CE DX+ at length, but it still captures the ambiance of the arcade game, even in its Final Destination form, where a pulse of light radiates back and forth across the stage. Feels like you're in Tron!

I think that's everything, except Battlefield and Final Destination, but not much to be said about them.

Watch Da Birdie

Lucario was featured heavily in the lead-up to both Black and White 2 (as one of the many returning Pokemon since the game was ditching BW1's "only new Pokemon" deal), such as appearing in the Anime Commercial, and in the lead-up to XY, being one of the new Mega Evolutions.

He's got a lot of focus lately, actually, so I guess TPCI wanted to let people know he was back in Smash. Right now in Japan he's been having lots of appearances in the XY anime too.

Crayolan

Down Special 3 (Meteor bombs)

jcUEjQh.jpg

Quicker to pull out of the bomb bag, throws faster, but only does 5%. The crux of these, however, is that they have a meteor effect, so they're fantastic for using on enemies off the stage. Pretty great, honestly.

Holy shit.

Drago

I just want a Donkey Kong (Country) stage that doesn't take place in a jungle. I want to see a factory stage, or a mine stage, or a pirate ship stage, or a circus stage, or a cavern stage, or a lake stage, or a beehive stage, or ANYTHING -- there is so much to explore with Donkey Kong locations and music and all we ever seem to get are jungles and endless amounts of Jungle Swing remixes. :(

Teknoman

Lucario was featured heavily in the lead-up to both Black and White 2 (as one of the many returning Pokemon since the game was ditching BW1's "only new Pokemon" deal), such as appearing in the Anime Commercial, and in the lead-up to XY, being one of the new Mega Evolutions.

He's got a lot of focus lately, actually, so I guess TPCI wanted to let people know he was back in Smash. Right now in Japan he's been having lots of appearances in the XY anime too.

Not to mention it's an awesome Pokemon.

are we really gonna go through this again?

I just want a Donkey Kong (Country) stage that doesn't take place in a jungle. I want to see a factory stage, or a mine stage, or a pirate ship stage, or a circus stage, or a cavern stage, or a lake stage, or a beehive stage, or ANYTHING -- there is so much to explore with Donkey Kong locations and music and all we ever seem to get are jungles and endless amounts of Jungle Swing remixes. :(

Donkey Kong : jungle :: Metroid : lava/acid

lol

Neiteio

My dream DKC stage would be Crocodile Isle, where you travel through each of the worlds one by one.

TWILT

Banned
Down Special 3 (Meteor bombs)

jcUEjQh.jpg

omg

Everything's coming up Link!

georly

Not only for spiking offstage...if you can use it on opponents above you too? Knock them up, meteor them back down with a bomb, and magic spin attack? Shiiiet.

Yeah, I got that to work once, but in the time it take you to pull out a bomb and throw it, they're likely already on the stage. The bomb feels heavier (as in, it's more affected by gravity) and it doesn't last that long, so it's hard to hold on to it for too long. It's really only good for denying stage recovery, it seems.

Could I bother you to ask what the silver arrows are like partially charged?

Damn, meteor bombs sounds amazing.

They basically suck unless they're fully charged. They might go another 3-4 feet in front of link. It's designed to only be used fully charged, basically.

Watch Da Birdie

Donkey Kong Country Returns will probably be represented in the Wii U Version...right?

Although, I STILL want my "Construction Site" level, a fully 3D level based off Donkey Kong taking place on a building-in-progress like the Street Fighter IV Stage.

- Yoshi's Island is the perfect Yoshi stage. It captures the look and feel of the SNES game perfectly, and I love how it cycles through the four seasons. I can't really complain about this one coming back as the Yoshi stage.

- Corneria, DK Jungle and Brinstar Depths are starting to feel a bit dated. They're solid stages, though. Corneria, especially, is an all-time classic.

They do an okay job at representing the "handheld" generation too, I guess?

I guess DKC3D might've been too hard to use as the basis for a stage in the 3DS Version? The backgrounds are pretty detailed, and since Sakurai seems to export the resources of 3D games to use judging by Spirit Tracks and such, maybe he couldn't with DKCR3D? But either way, the sunset look I guess is close enough to the Sunset Shore of DKCR, And, well, it's a jungle, like DKCR has!

Star Fox's last game was Star Fox 3D, so bringing back the 64-based stage works. Before that was Command, which I'm pretty sure had Corneria in it too.

Yoshi's New Island might've came too late, but before that was Yoshi's Island 2. Neither game really change things up, so the Yoshi Island stage works well to represent them.

Excluding Metroid Hunters, Metroid had Zero Mission, a remake of the original Metroid, so Brinstar also fits.

PKrockin

Neutral Special 2 (Silver Arrows)

Kc1QIrZ.jpg
JXDG4jT.jpg

These arrows must be heavy. Uncharged it falls STRAIGHT to the ground. Does 3% damage uncharged. Fully charged, however, is where this arrow shines. Does roughly 20% damage but actually has knockback. Can KO at about 100%. ESPECIALLY if using it once the opponent is off the stage.
Could I bother you to ask what the silver arrows are like partially charged?

Damn, meteor bombs sounds amazing.

Neiteio

Did Serebii Joe post a gallery with all of the alternate colors at some point? Like actual in-game screenshots of the full recolored character models. Can someone link me to this?

I kind of wish Mario had his "AHO!!" and "WHOA!!" sound effects from Melee.

They were so much fun to listen to.

Yeah, his Melee voice clips sounded a lot more... into it. The lack of new voice clips for specifically the Mario franchise is really odd to me. I highly expected characters like Mario, Luigi, and even Wario to inevitably get some new voice work done. It feels so lazy. Ech. Maybe the Wii U version will actually be more defined in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom