• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have a [Insert System here] is considered as "Ok, now I can talk crap about stuff as much as I want" license I see.

It's like "I have black friends."

Anyways, awesome that Bayo2 has received so many great reviews.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Another new-gen-game (not cross-gen or a remaster) over 87% average at metacritic!

For those keeping score of the 87% and over metacritic club:

Wii U: 4 (Super Mario 3D, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3)
Xbox One: 0
PS4: 0

tumblr_m4sxfhm0zf1rw7k3jo1_400.gif

Also, on a kind of unrelated note, I've talked to a couple of Twitter users and they say they've seen commercials for Bayonetta 2 air on Adult Swim. I can't give proof without footage obviously, but I'm being told the commercial mentions Bayo 1 being included.

If that's the case then NoA may not be giving this game the TW101 treatment after all.

Also, on a kind of unrelated note, I've talked to a couple of Twitter users and they say they've seen commercials for Bayonetta 2 air on Adult Swim. I can't give proof without footage obviously, but I'm being told the commercial mentions Bayo 1 being included.

If that's the case then NoA may not be giving this game the TW101 treatment after all.

Please let this be true

Richie

Holy SHIT, really? I recall Emily Rogers saying marketing for this game would feel right at home in Adult Swim, but I never expected NoA to give it TV exposure, at all. Man, if this is confirmed, holy shit, amazing.

StevieP

Banned
It really is a shame that this game is gonna bomb so hard. Seems like an amazing game.

I may have to buy bayo 1 for 360

Nah you should wait for bayo 3 on iOS instead. Maybe that one won't bomb so hard, right? The massive userbases on the 360 and PS3 weren't enough to prevent the Bomba so an iOS endless runner is the next logical move for you and herpes.

JohnChang

Banned
just tried the demo

non stop action and reminded me of God of War 3, ya it was good but i'm more into games where i can stop and breathe a bit (Skyrim)

I wonder what affect B2, critical acclaim will have on Nintendo future and the WiiU successor. Could it change they're perspective on hardware, maybe go traditional controllers, with backwards compatibility with the gamepad and Wiimote. Fund ports of the next big game or games.

Another new-gen-game (not cross-gen or a remaster) over 87% average at metacritic!

Is there a particular reason you choose 87%? Seems like an odd number.

Jesus.....so happy for my Wii U purchase. :)

ffdgh

I can confirm seeing a bayonetta commercial on adult swim. Sorta shocked me when it popped up lol.

Clefargle

Dan better make a hell of a push for this as a GOTY contender. I doubt many (if any) of them will play it and even then to completion but if it's as good or better than the last one it most definitely deserves a spot on the top 10 of this year.
I hope Dan brings some reason to the panel this year. I listened to the entire 4+ hour GOTY deliberation podcast last year wondering if ALBTW would make it into the top slot. They argued and bargained for every other top 20 game on the list but when it came down to the top three they all just agreed to agree that TLoU was the least controversial pick and no one even made a case for ALBTW. They just slotted it at #2 and moved on. Wouldn't be super surprised if the HD version got their blessing this year too.

Realyn

I'll take a random stab here and say that there are some One or PS4 ones at 86% or 85%? Or put it at 89% and you have 2 Wii u games. "Statistics" like that just to prove a point are literally the worst thing in the world.

Because it fits his agenda.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

Because Pikmin 3 is 87% (when it damn well ought to be a 9/10).

Also once you go to 86% I think you get into the realm of PS4 PSN-only indie games and it wouldn't reinforce the biased point I had already decided to make. :)

EDIT: I'm even wrong! Shadows of Mordor is currently 87% on Xbox One (85% on PS4 - that's weird).

So is the pic in the OP going to be updated with Giant Bomb and Gamereactor Denmark's 100s? :)

Here's Gamereactor Denmark's:

Bayonetta 2 is a triumphant return for the series and for Platinum Games. Extreme bosses, a crazy good style and an addictive co-op mode are just the icing on top of an excellent fighting system. Go get it now for your Wii U.

and Giant Bomb's anyway:

Bayonetta 2 doesn’t drastically change the already wacky formula that the first game introduced, but it’s a bigger and more nuanced version of its predecessor. It’s also the best game of its kind in years. If you’ve ever enjoyed this breed of reflex-heavy, hyperactive, ludicrous action game, Bayonetta 2 is a no-brainer.

Jrs3000

If only that 87% translated into huge console sales.

Finally something to hold me over on the wii till smash!

lewisgone

Probably an XB1 or PS4 game with an 86% score? It's too hard to check on my phone.

Either way that's a surprising statistic. I think GOTY awards are going to be very interesting this year, Nintendo rarely is a huge presence in recent GOTY award years. A shame that many of the hyped next generation releases haven't lived up to the excitement recently. Destiny in particular was a glaring dissapointment compared to the hype. DriveClub recently has also been considered by many to be a little barebones, from what I gather? With the number of games coming out early next year, long development cycles have certainly impacted this year. Although I think they've been accentuated by the hesitancy going into this generation on if the consoles would sell well enough to warrant giant development costs..hence the number of remasters just to get content out the door in the first year as major titles are given the go-ahead into full development. That would be my guess.

I knew lack of content was a problem this year, but it's incredibly surprising no XB1 or PS4 games exceeded a metacritic score of 86%. Good for Bayonetta to be gathering that attention though, I guess.

Bayo 1 is included with Bayo 2 on Wii U. Just get it there.
I only have a 360, and I'll be getting an xbox 1.

May have to pick up a Wii u at the end of the gen to play this and (hopefully) Metroid prime (4?)

How does a game like Bayonetta compare to a game like Ninja Gaiden? Black and 2 are among my favourite all time games.

Also once you go to 86% I think you get into the realm of PS4 PSN-only indie games and it wouldn't reinforce the biased point I had already decided to make. :)

Lol I appreciate the honesty!

Looking at metacritic scores, it's amusing that Rayman Legends is currently the highest rated Xbox One game.

Also, no need to worry about Shadow of Mordor... it's a cross gen game ;)

Zia

Probably an XB1 or PS4 game with an 86% score? It's too hard to check on my phone.

Either way that's a surprising statistic. I think GOTY awards are going to be very interesting this year, Nintendo rarely is a huge presence in recent GOTY award years. A shame that many of the hyped next generation releases haven't lived up to the excitement recently. Destiny in particular was a glaring dissapointment compared to the hype. DriveClub recently has also been considered by many to be a little barebones, from what I gather? With the number of games coming out early next year, long development cycles have certainly impacted this year. Although I think they've been accentuated by the hesitancy going into this generation on if the consoles would sell well enough to warrant giant development costs..hence the number of remasters just to get content out the door in the first year as major titles are given the go-ahead into full development. That would be my guess.

I knew lack of content was a problem this year, but it's incredibly surprising no XB1 or PS4 games exceeded a metacritic score of 86%. Good for Bayonetta to be gathering that attention though, I guess.

There are a handful of remasters and cross-platform games for both consoles that exceeded 86% but yeah, not that surprising if you own either that the exclusives have missed the mark. Pretty dreadful. The 86% (as he pointed out, to be fair) is pretty arbitrary but, still, neat to see the Wii U have the most (all of the?) critically-acclaimed exclusives thus far. It's the first console I've been cheering for since the Dreamcast.

Fitting. : (

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Whats with everyone in the comments calling the game an Anime?

They're making fun of the fact that the reviewer has said he doesn't want to get into anime, but loves things like the Metal Gear Solid series and Bayonetta, which are full of anime-style craziness.

I only have a 360, and I'll be getting an xbox 1.

May have to pick up a Wii u at the end of the gen to play this and (hopefully) Metroid prime (4?)

How does a game like Bayonetta compare to a game like Ninja Gaiden? Black and 2 are among my favourite all time games.

NG Black, DMC3 and Bayonetta are the holy trinity of action games. This sounds like it can comfortably hang with those 3 so pretty great.

If you have a 360 and aren't planning on getting a Wii U any time soon, go grab the original asap.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

EDIT: I'm even wrong! Shadows of Mordor is currently 87% on Xbox One (85% on PS4 - that's weird).

SM is crossgen, though.

I expected it to be praised unanimously, sadly I don't see that changing the current narrative..still I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to seeing how many Wii U units this will move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom