• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor1123

I have never understood why people love this game so much. Its clearly not for me as I dont see anything special about it. Im glad that others like it though, thats all that really matters.

Yeah I don't see why some people get offended. Game was destined to flop from the day it was announced.

I fixed that for you. Platinum games, like Clover games before them, don't sell well regardless of the platform and how much critical acclaim they receive. That is the sad reality.

This thread... is exactly what I expected. Sales talk, Wii U preaching, thinly veiled contempt for Nintendo, some hub bub about sexualization, salt, talk of "dude bro" shooters, polygon hating, and of course great review scores. It pretty much writes itself.

Laconic

Banned
I, for one, cannot wait to get my copy on the 24th.

As well as whatever number of copies I elect to get for future E-Bay profiteering.

Because the salty people will bitch and moan.

And then they shall inevitably buy a Wii-U.

And I shall reap the bounty of their belligerent petulance... at over 200%. ;)

Mlatador

Banned
Kind of sad that this is one the highest reviewed titles of the year and this thread has already been completely de railed by "lol gonna sell like shit".

XBqAdru.jpg

Well, how else are all those poor, frustrated, Nintendo-stole-our game port-beggar souls express their discontent now that port begging is a bannable offense?

Never played Bayonetta before, not a huge Japanese game fan to begin with. Booted it up, heard the music, rolled my eyes, started hitting those buttons, started smiling, started hitting more buttons, smiling more, dodge hits, WITCH TIME, hit moar BUTTONS, FUCKING WITCH TIME, WAT, TOTURE ATTACK, WAT?!?!?!!? Holy shit, immediate purchase, but then......

Finished with a Gold, immediately boots back into game after learning there's a.... PURE PLATINUM AWARD.

Sold. You win cheesy anime music.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

Riki

Never played Bayonetta before, not a huge Japanese game fan to begin with. Booted it up, heard the music, rolled my eyes, started hitting those buttons, started smiling, started hitting more buttons, smiling more, dodge hits, WITCH TIME, hit moar BUTTONS, FUCKING WITCH TIME, WAT, TOTURE ATTACK, WAT?!?!?!!? Holy shit, immediate purchase, but then......

Finished with a Gold, immediately boots back into game after learning there's a.... PURE PLATINUM AWARD.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif
Bang Bang Down Down!
The music in this serious is amazing, honestly.

Not too fond that people went from port begging to "oh, I'm sure it's ok, but it'll bomb." I'm just glad it exists and I'm sure Nintendo is fine with the low sales after getting so many high scores (and PG got paid already? So they're fine)
Just feels like false concern trying to make others feel bad in a positive thread.
Then we have others that clearly stated that they dont like Bayonetta/character action games and thinks investing in getting a wii u is "throwing money down the drain" making several negative posts in the thread.
Come on, that's not cool.
Just enjoy Bayonetta 2 once it comes out, guys. Have fun, that's what the guys at Platinum games would want you to do.
Bang Bang Down Down!
The music in this serious is amazing, honestly.
It's great :p

Astral Dog

I have a Wii U and bought it at launch so...

I will try,i think the problem here is that the sales of the game already have been discussed to death in less and more appropiate threads, nobody ever thought that the sequel to Bayonetta was going to be a big success, i think positive discussion on this game is very difficult to find,some people are glad that its finally going to come out, and has been well recieved by critics, that should be a reason to celebrate, that Platinum delivered a worthy sequel on the Wii U, to a game that many publishers refused and Sega dropped, your sarcastic response is a little off putting, the game selling better on Amazon isnt a bad thing at all, that means more people will try it.

I will try,i think the problem here is that the sales of the game already have been discussed to death in less and more appropiate threads, nobody ever thought that the sequel to Bayonetta was going to be a big success, i think positive discussion on this game is very difficult to find,some people are glad that its finally going to come out, and has been well recieved by critics, that should be a reason to celebrate, that Platinum delivered a worthy sequel on the Wii U, to a game that many publishers refused and Sega dropped, your sarcastic respose is a little off putting, the game selling better on Amazon isnt a bad thing, that means more people will try it.

All of that is correct but to assume that reviews by themselves will change the end result isn't accurate. I even said that it's good people are enjoying and hyped for this game. That's a good thing. But if it's going to be about the pure enjoyment and quality of a game, let that be it. One doesn't need to take a stand that reviews will somehow change the sales factor and then get upset when others take the opposite stand.

Though I do appreciate you taking the time to respond in the way you did.

crops55

All of that is correct but to assume that reviews by themselves will change the end result isn't accurate. I even said that it's good people are enjoying and hyped for this game. That's a good thing. But if it's going to be about the pure enjoyment and quality of a game, let that be it. One doesn't need to take a stand that reviews will somehow change the sales factor and then get upset when others take the opposite stand.

Though I do appreciate you taking the time to respond in the way you did.

Are you honestly saying that reviews don't change the sales of games?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif
This post put a smile on my face.

In many ways, my first experience with Bayonetta was similar and back then I had no idea about the pedigree behind the title.

Maybe

But i dont think many people will like the final boss

I enjoyed the human fights more than the giant boss battles in Bayo 1 because they were much more fast paced and frenetic, so I'm glad it's a real opponent this time and not just a glorified platforming section like Jubileus was.

Astral Dog

You're not the first one I read who thinks like this...

Can't wait to see what it is.

I dont want to spoil i will be just a little less vague, just a bit,dont read it if you dont want to :p

Its NOT bad, i think its typical Platinum, and fits Bayonetta well,but in a way its less climatic than other PG bosses

wildfire

Banned
Kind of sad that this is one the highest reviewed titles of the year and this thread has already been completely de railed by "lol gonna sell like shit".

Since when? It was derailed by too much focus on the single negative review that goes against the norm. Sometimes I wonder if the people who have been on this forum for more than a year have poor memory because these type of standout reviews don't deserve so much scrutiny.

Every year there is some game that gets too much praise or negativity. When one review bucks the trend they want to put more effort in attacking the sole opinion that betrays their confirmation bias.

Einbroch

Banned
Since when? It was derailed by too much focus on the single negative review that goes against the norm. Sometimes I wonder if the people who have been on this forum for more than a year have poor memory because these type of standout reviews don't deserve so much scrutiny.

Every year there is some game that gets too much praise or negativity. When one review bucks the trend they want to put more effort in attacking the sole opinion that betrays their confirmation bias.

Relevant.

Hindle

Banned
Repeating myself here, but I think Nintendo will still make a third Bayonetta even if the sequel underperforms. It's a great series, and provides them with a great rep amongst gamers.

Aroll

Zero²;134233133 said:
Well they did fund the game, while it would be certain that it was going to be a bomb...
So yeah?

Not sure they viewed it like that at the time. Remember, this was a high point announcement for them on 2011 and it shocked everyone. The Wii U wasn't a flop at the time and they were still riding high off the success of the Wii. They likely viewed Bayonetta at the time as a steal given the critical acclaim of the first title and the fact it moved a couple million units as a new IP. They figured (I am guessing, of course) that combined with their slate of games and solid Wii U sales, by now when it came out it would have a chance to move probably a million units, which may be profitable. It was a move about expanding their audience. What they didn't plan for is that everyone but Nintendo would have bailed on the console by now. Because if they had full third party support this whole time, their would be a bigger audience for the game. Bayonetta could be a game that sells the system. Instead well? Everything went the other way. Kudos to Nintendo for not pulling the plug.

Ansatz

Repeating myself here, but I think Nintendo will still make a third Bayonetta even if the sequel underperforms. It's a great series, and provides them with a great rep amongst gamers.

If it's on Wii U, Vanquish 2 + 1 makes more sense, since they'd get even more diversity considering it's a TPS.

However I doubt there's room for Bayonetta in Nintendo's future hardware plans, which I think is a handheld/console hybrid. I'm guessing target audience will be specifically fans of Nintendo properties and the general portable market. I think Wii U will be that last attempt at capturing the core home console gamer.

Not if Nintendo posistion a third game as a launch title for thier next hardware.

I'm just fucking around, I don't care how any of the games I get sell for the most part.

I do hope you're right though and there's one more game in the series.

If anyone is kooky enough to make it happen, it's Nintendo.

They know how good Platinum is .

Hindle

Banned
I'm just fucking around, I don't care how any of the games I get sell for the most part.

I do hope you're right though and there's one more game in the series.

If anyone is kooky enough to make it happen, it's Nintendo.

They know how good Platinum is .

That they do.

It's a fantastic series is Bayonetta, and having a really great, well reviewed game for any new hardware is always smart, so why not Bayonetta 3.

Even if it's not Bayo 3, I definitely see them contracting Platinum for another game.

Laconic

Banned
action games.

you either love 'em, or you don't.

Not the case.

AT ALL.

I love Bayonetta, like the real DMCs, and absolutely loathe GoW and the Arkham games.

This is assuming that you are referring to this particular subset of action games, specifically.

Because otherwise your assertion is even more absurd.

Wow, this thread. Discussion should be more about the awesomeness of Bayo2, positive affect it could have on the industry. The controversy involved with the game announcement was epic. Hopefully other devs will use B2 as inspiration, for action game's FPS, TPS, adventure, JUST ADD TONS OF AWESOME, Easter eggs, unlockables that change the game.

Coketruck

I've never had any exposure to the Bayonetta games at all, much less played the first one. Just got through the demo.

... What the hell just happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom