• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcoa

Bad story is not a good thing. Yes there's campy bad coming out to good, but it sounds like this story is just plain ol' bad.

Not that it matters too much in this game.
It doesn't matter, but why do cutscenes take up an incredible amount of time in Bayonetta 2? No one gives a shit, but why did Platinum bother with it anyway? The story is terrible by most accounts, but there's so much of it someone on the dev side had to think it was good idea.

Is this game really that good? (serious question)

Given the (extremely) low profile of the WiiU and that Nintendo is actually publishing the game, it reeks of publisher money...
Such a disgusting post (it reeks of denial and fanboy). A game gets good scores for the Wii U....it HAS to be a money hat right guys!? FFS.

Pre-ordered the game last month. Really looking forward to it. The week of the 19th is going to be a good one for sure. Shantae and the Pirate Curse is coming out the day before Bayonetta 2 comes out. Can't wait for that week.

Scum

10 more days...

pQFDMWc.gif

It doesn't matter, but why do cutscenes take up an incredible amount of time in Bayonetta 2? No one gives a shit, but why did Platinum bother with it anyway? The story is terrible by most accounts, but there's so much of it someone on the dev side had to think it was good idea.

Even a "terrible" story can be an enjoyable part of a game

The Boat

Bad story is not a good thing. Yes there's campy bad coming out to good, but it sounds like this story is just plain ol' bad.

I don't think it's bad at all, it's entertaining, serves its purpose and builds it's world in a nice way, it's better than the 1st's and it doesn't have Cerezita which is a huge plus. Its not going to win any story awards, but it's not like most games have good stories.
They don't. I didn't time them, but they certainly take less time than the 1st ones, they mostly pop up at the beginning and end of each chapter and when they're in the middle, they don't break up the flow and go on forever like in 1. And they're pretty good too.

jwillenn

Bayo 1 had a terrible story according to all outlets at the time and I still enjoyed most of the cutscenes.

Same here. In fact, I've gone back long after my time with Bayo and watched youtube playlists focused on its cut-scenes. I'm sure I'll enjoy Bayo 2's at least just the same. I'm really looking forward to this part of the game, actually.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I played Bayo 1 close to 100 hours and still have no clue what the plot is about. Something about The Eyes of the World and time-travel.

Aroll

Such a disgusting post (it reeks of denial and fanboy). A game gets good scores for the Wii U....it HAS to be a money hat right guys!? FFS.

Yeah, that post is terrible. What's funny is how surprised that user was that Wii U game got a good score. It's actually not that unusual:

Super Mario 3D World - Metacritic 93
The Wind Waker HD - 90
Mario Kart 8 - 88

Etc. Pikmin 3 got a 87. Bayonetta is so far at a 91 and that's not even the highest rated game on the platform. Top 5 exclusives for the Wii U currently go as:

SM3DW - 93
Bayonetta 2 - 91
The Wind Waker HD - 90
Mario Kart 8 - 88
Pikmin 3 - 87
New Super Mario Bros. U - 84
(included 6, incase someone wants to eliminate TWW HD)

In 2 years, the system has 3 games in the 90's and a top 5 above 85.

The top 5 exclusives for PS4 so far are this:

TLOU - 95 (if TWW HD was included, only fair)
Flower - 91 (same reason as TLOU)
Resogun - 84
iNfamous second son - 80
Killzone - 73

Xbox One:

Forza H2 - 88
Project Spark - 80
D4 - 77
Titanfall - 75
Killer Instinct - 73

I just HATE when folks chime in about how they are surprised a Wii U game possibly got a good score they assume their is money hatting going on from a company who has never dived into money hatting review scores. On top of that, the Wii U's top shelf games it has released has CONSISTENTLY crushed what the Xbox One and PS4 have done so far from a rating perspective. This isn't news. Bayonetta 2 is just the latest.

The Boat

I don't think Bayo's 1 story was the big problem, just the placement, frequency and length of the cutscenes constantly interrupting the game, that and shitty QTEs fucked up the flow of the game. That and Cerezita.

Spinluck

The story in these games are garbage (based off what we got in the demo, that probably won't change).

Good thing that isn't why I play them...

Gameplay and presentation in this franchise are as good as they come.
Excluding the PS3 version of the first game.

Riposte

The story in these games are garbage (based off what we got in the demo, that probably won't change).

Good thing that isn't why I play them...

Gameplay and presentation in this franchise are as good as they come.
Excluding the PS3 version of the first game.

How is story not presentation? For that matter, how is story not gameplay?

Astral Dog

Even a "terrible" story can be an enjoyable part of a game

Many fans of the series enjoyed the story for what it was, the world, music,characters cutscenes, etc.

Platinum delivered more of that world, and the cutscenes look nice and have plenty of action and personality imo.

faridmon

The only Review outlet I trust is Eurogamer, and a 9 is fantastic. Although I would have loved it if they gave it a 10, but their negativity stems from the fact that its a sequel, I don't hot feel about that.

Lol at Polygon!

Astral Dog

I don't think Bayo's 1 story was the big problem, just the placement, frequency and length of the cutscenes constantly interrupting the game, that and shitty QTEs fucked up the flow of the game. That and Cerezita.

Poor Cerezita :(

I think the pacing was bad for budget reasons,specifically the non animated cutscenes .

Koppai

What are these websites I never heard of impacting the score? That shit should be perfect across the board!

So hyped for Bayonetta 2 dammit need a jobbbbbbbbb :(

I would buy this in heartbeat if it was on ps4. I would even buy this on ps3 if it was available and I'm trying not to support old consoles anymore as I think it's counter productive.

I hope it at least sells over a million on wii U and eventually 2 million. Platinum games do not get rewarded enough for the risks they take and the innovation they produce. They are my number 1 studio. I hope they bring more action games on ps4. I will probably get xbox one as well in the future and get scalebound to support them. They're the only studio that I do not need to read previews/reviews or much information at all on any of their games cause I fully trust their amazing talent and have never been let down by them.

I would buy this in heartbeat if it was on ps4. I would even buy this on ps3 if it was available and I'm trying not to support old consoles anymore as I think it's counter productive.

I hope it at least sells over a million on wii U and eventually 2 million. Platinum games do not get rewarded enough for the risks they take and the innovation they produce. They are my number 1 studio. I hope they bring more action games on ps4. I will probably get xbox one as well in the future and get scalebound to support them. They're the only studio that I do not need to read previews/reviews or much information at all on any of their games cause I fully trust their amazing talent and have never been let down by them.

If you love Platinum so much, you should try really hard to find a way to purchase a Wii U for both The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

I'm buying an Xbox One for Scalebound : )

Zero²

Sure, but bad story is relative to the person's taste, or in bayonetta's case, if you took it too seriously or not.

faridmon

Surprised Giant Bomb and GameTrailers haven't posted their reviews yet.

Suprised? Lol

GB don't review that many games, and if they happen to review one, they do take their time in order to get the most of their games.

One of the few things I appreciate about them.

GT trailers has also reviewed games late in the recent days. FIFA isn't even revewied FFS

Suprised? Lol

GB don't review that many games, and if they happen to review one, they do take their time in order to get the most of their games.

One of the few things I appreciate about them.

GT trailers has also reviewed games late in the recent days. FIFA isn't even revewied FFS

I believe Dan said he's reviewing Bayonetta 2 for Giant Bomb.

I'll admit I haven't visited GT much in recent months.

Revenile

I've been enjoying taking a trip down memory lane to two years ago when the whole "Wii U Exclusive" thing first happened. It's quite humorous to look at the responses from the outrage that caused. People threatening to kill Nintendo or Platinum employees, threatening suicide, and in one case, in such denial they admitted they would rather not have the game exist at all if it meant it NOT being on the Wii U. If I had the time and patience I would do a blog on the two year journey of this stuff leading up to now.

Shauni

Port beggers can roast in hell, I'm so glad that this game had the chance to happen. Even if I didn't have a Wii U and never would get one, I'd still be happy knowing this was out there, somewhere, always beautiful.

If you love Platinum so much, you should try really hard to find a way to purchase a Wii U for both The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

I'm buying an Xbox One for Scalebound : )

I don't play that many games to be honest. I'm pretty picky too, but DMC is one of my all time favourite franchise and I hate that such a talented studio keeps getting screwed when many talent-less studios flourish with their boring shooters.

I will probably get legend of kora ps4 when it's out. I like action games. I wish Capcom would give DMC to PG instead of ninja theory.

Scoops

Banned
Etc. Pikmin 3 got a 87. Bayonetta is so far at a 91 and that's not even the highest rated game on the platform. Top 5 exclusives for the Wii U currently go as:

SM3DW - 93
Bayonetta 2 - 91
The Wind Waker HD - 90
Mario Kart 8 - 88
Pikmin 3 - 87
New Super Mario Bros. U - 84
(included 6, incase someone wants to eliminate TWW HD)

In 2 years, the system has 3 games in the 90's and a top 5 above 85.

The top 5 exclusives for PS4 so far are this:

TLOU - 95 (if TWW HD was included, only fair)
Flower - 91 (same reason as TLOU)
Resogun - 84
iNfamous second son - 80
Killzone - 73

Xbox One:

Forza H2 - 88
Project Spark - 80
D4 - 77
Titanfall - 75
Killer Instinct - 73

I just HATE when folks chime in about how they are surprised a Wii U game possibly got a good score they assume their is money hatting going on from a company who has never dived into money hatting review scores. On top of that, the Wii U's top shelf games it has released has CONSISTENTLY crushed what the Xbox One and PS4 have done so far from a rating perspective. This isn't news. Bayonetta 2 is just the latest.

Wow, Microsoft and Sony first party have been terribad this first year.

BTW, if you're going to include Titanfall/Flower/TLOU 1) you have the wrong score for Titanfall 2) You'd have to include Shovel Knight (88) for WiiU's list as well since its exclusive to Nintendo consoles and PC like how Titanfall and Horizon 2 are on 360/PC and 360. If you want to take it a step farther you'd have to include Mass Effect 3 (85), Most Wanted U (86) and Human Rev Director's Cut (88) for WiiU since those aren't on the PS4 or Xbone either and are exclusives for this console gen.

And jeez lets look at the Wii's first year (through 2007) real quick:

Super Mario Galaxy - 97
Twilight Princess - 95 (timed Wii exclusive)
Metroid Prime 3 - 90
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - 90 (also on GC and PS2, but clearly definitive)
Zack & Wiki - 87
Super Paper Mario - 85

I mean good God at that first year of exclusives for the Wii compared all three of this gen's first years.

Astral Dog

I don't play that many games to be honest. I'm pretty picky too, but DMC is one of my all time favourite franchise and I hate that such a talented studio keeps getting screwed when many talent-less studios flourish with their boring shooters.

I will probably get legend of kora ps4 when it's out. I like action games. I wish Capcom would give DMC to PG instead of ninja theory.

PG is the only external studio i would trust with DMC, but, Capcom should make it themselves :/

to the very very small group of people screaming paid off reviews i thought it was pretty common knowledge that nintendo doesnt pay for reviews and just lets there game do the talking.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
To be fair the bystanders are made as hateable caricatures, but I get your point. At the same time, that doesn't mean violence is any better or worse than over-sexualization.
violence is way way way worse than humanity being too reserved about their own bodies wth, theres a reason we say 'make love not war.'

Aroll

God, Microsoft and Sony first party have been terribad this first year.

BTW, if you're going to include Titanfall/Flower/TLOU 1) you have the wrong score for Titanfall 2) You'd have to include Shovel Knight (88) for WiiU's list as well since its exclusive to Nintendo consoles and PC like how Titanfall and Horizon 2 are on 360/PC and 360. If you want to take it a step farther you'd have to include Mass Effect 3 (85), Most Wanted U (86) and Human Rev Director's Cut (88) for WiiU since those aren't on the PS4 or Xbone either and are exclusives for this console gen.

Good point.

So, basically the Wii U > all else when it comes to exclusive quality gaming experiences this gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom