• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

popyea

They said there's a switch weapons button on the control screen when you started the demo.

You're admitting that you have no idea what combos do or what combos you're even performing, and you wonder where the depth is? Isn't it pretty obvious that there's a lot of depth in the combo system if that is the case?

Not necessarily. You could have a combo system as complex as Bayonetta, but if there's no meaningful utility attached to them, then there isn't any depth. But not knowing what the combos do means you can't judge the depth anyway.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I was admitting that the game didn't do a good enough job showing me that the combos overall are different enough to bother distinguishing between. I could keep pressing anything and beat the demo without breaking a sweat.

The demo's not the best example. The demo's made to be easy so that people who've never played the game before won't get frustrated by having no idea how to beat that one enemy.

That said, the combos should at least look different enough that you can tell the difference. If they didn't look that different in the demo, then maybe there were limitations to what combos you could use in it?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So happy this game is getting glowing reviews :)

The original Bayonetta is the best action game I've ever played and Bayonetta herself is one of my favorite females in gaming. Gorgeous, sassy, fierce, confident, sexy without being trashy. QUEEN. <3

Glad to see the sequel lives up to the high bar the first game set!

The demo's not the best example. The demo's made to be easy so that people who've never played the game before won't get frustrated by having no idea how to beat that one enemy.

That said, the combos should at least look different enough that you can tell the difference. If they didn't look that different in the demo, then maybe there were limitations to what combos you could use in it?

They didn't look different because too much was going on for me to notice them

Persona7

Banned
nice, i get to play my copy at a friends house.

i'm getting a wii u next month so I can see if any black friday or holiday deals pop up.

correojon

Button mashing will only get you so far, you need to learn the different properties of the different combos to fight efficiently. For example, some enemies are really tough and will be able to counter attack even when you're pounding on them, so you may need to use a combo that sweeps their feet and drops them to the ground to deal damage safely. Other are very heavy and won't be lifted by normal launchs, so you will need a different special combo to do so. And even when you're in the air you can still control the enemies on the ground while dealing damage to a launched enemy, or relaunch him in mid air to gain height, or cancel a combo to get out another wicked weave that launches enemies on the ground, while at the same time listening for tells for an incoming distant attack...the beauty of this systen is that you have a lot of possibilities in every situation and there is not a single correct answer.

Also, you have to think that your dodge (and parry in higher levels) is your best offensive move. Bayonetta forces you to put yourself in the center of danger to then react at the last second and turn a defensive situation into an offensive one. Mix this with dodge offset and the line between offense and defense dissapears, creating a fluid combat style you wont find in any other game of the genre.

Once you get the hang of all of this you can taunt to enrage enemies and enter the realm of real awesomeness.

Really, it's a great combat system, but I understand that having so many different combos to start with can be overwhelming at the beggining. Just focus on two or three different ones at the beggining, for example one for frontal attacks, another for aoe and another for launchs and try to control when you use them instead of button mashing, you'll start enjoying the game much more this way.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
what does Metacritic do with a 9.8 though? Just round it up to 10? Or down to 9 (that would be nonsense tbh)?

Saw this and thought I'd share if it hasn't already been posted.

iSA16N9BLUlxw.png

Play the game and make Kamiya smile.

krizzx

So many Nintendo minuses it looks like.(subtractions to the score for no other reason than a game being exclusive to Nintendo hardware).

I can think of little other reason for all of these these 0.5s and 0.2s. Yet a game with horrid a.i. and repeated hyper linear gameplay, not calling any names, gets perfect 10's just because it has a dramatic story from the same persons.

krizzx

you cannot be serious

This is actually theory I've been holding on to for a while now. This has been happening for years.

Games on Nintendo hardware just seem to get these small minus with no reasons given. Like they are not allowed to be given a perfect 10. 9.7, 9.9, but no 10. Seems to only occur with major reviewers like IGN, Gametrailers, Gamespot and so on. Just a theory.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
They didn't look different because too much was going on for me to notice them

Then this game probably isn't for you. (judging from this and your other comments)

Other than boss fights, you're very often fighting multiple enemies at once. And when I say multiple, I mean each encounter easily goes into the double digits territory. So it does constantly look like too much is going on because too much is going on.

I can't say for sure about comboing on Bayo2, but on Bayo1, comboing could change the direction of the fight drastically if you knew what combos to take advantage of. When you don't know the combos though, it won't feel like it's making any difference.

But it's perfectly fine if you don't understand the comboing in the game because there were a lot of combos, and more often than not, you needed to use more than one combo in a row to really see that difference.

I'm not seeing any difference between the attacks and there's a one button dodge. The only difficulty I can see with that is bullshit-level.

The signalling on enemy attacks is pretty blatant. For the regular enemies they're all accompanied by bright flashes and distinct sound clips, and the bosses are slow and heavily telegraphed.

There's a combo list in the part of the tutorial that teaches you how to kick. So just go there and use the list as a guide.

This is actually theory I've been holding on to for a while now. This has been happening for years.

Games on Nintendo hardware just seem to get these small minus with no reasons given.
You're being a crazy person right now and should stop while people still think you might be joking

krizzx

You're being a crazy person right now and should stop while people still think you might be joking

What is crazy about it? I doubt I'm the only person who has noticed this.

There are so many games that I'm sure would have gotten higher scores had they been for other platforms. I bet that if Bayo 2 were on the PS4, most of these places that gave it a 9.5 or so would have given it a perfect 10. Of course there is no way of proving this.

This is something I've noticed going back to the GC. Its all theoretical of course.

Monocle

Are there other weapons in the demo? They said nothing about it.
Sometimes enemies get launched in the air. Now I'm just button mashing an enemy in the air.
I have no idea what combos are doing that, or where my combos begin and end. Too much is going on at once for me to learn cause and effect. Am I supposed to see a drastic difference between "kick kick kick punch" and "kick kick kick kick punch"?
And I played it twice because I didn't see a need to play it a third time.
The key to success in Bayonetta is controlling space. To play the game well you need to manage your position relative to enemies and keep tabs on what you and the enemies are doing at all times. Your combos are a set of tools for dealing damage while changing the enemies' positions and status. All of your moves have specific functions. The fun of the combat system is playing with your set of tools to learn what they do, and then applying them creatively.

Ideally you want to be dealing damage without letting up, taking no damage yourself, and neutralizing enemies' attacks until you've killed them. This is where controlling the enemies' positions and status comes in. Enemies can't hurt you if they're too far away, or being stunlocked by your attacks, or being juggled in the air, or when you're temporarily invincible while dodging or performing a torture attack, so it's up to you to create those conditions.

Combos like PKP and PPPKP knock enemies away. PKK and PPKP juggle them. PPPPK and PPPKKK are heavy damage dealers that stunlock enemies during the final hits. There are many more examples. Experiment!

Try to learn a small set of combos with different effects and use them at appropriate times. Notice the sounds and windup animations of enemies, because they signal when to dodge. If you can get used to activating Witch Time with well timed dodges, you'll have plenty of openings to deal good damage and rack up your combo score. Mashing is so much less rewarding than learning the combat system well. Bayonetta's gameplay is insanely deep but equally accessible. Start with the basics, build on what you know, and after a while you'll barely have to think about the technical stuff.

Games on Nintendo hardware just seem to get these small minus with no reasons given. Like they are not allowed to be given a perfect 10. 9.7, 9.9, but no 10. Seems to only occur with major reviewers like IGN, Gametrailers, Gamespot and so on. Just a theory.

You realize that Bayonetta 2 is getting several perfect scores? Gamespot gave it a 10/10 for example.

I was admitting that the game didn't do a good enough job showing me that the combos overall are different enough to bother distinguishing between. I could keep pressing anything and beat the demo without breaking a sweat.

You are expected to practice combos and find combinations that fits your style on your own on difficulties above normal, yes you can beat the game on normal with button mashing and blind dodges but this kind of game is never never designed or balanced around "beating the game on normal". One of the core strengths (and commercial weaknesses) of character action games is it won't hold your hand to do anything, you are expected to practice and learn on your own.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

But Gamespot gave a 10...

Sounds like a solid theory given that Gamespot gave this game a perfect 10 and Gametrailers scored this game just as high as they've scored any other game.

Is this game really that good? (serious question)

Given the (extremely) low profile of the WiiU and that Nintendo is actually publishing the game, it reeks of publisher money...

Inflated review scores?

So many Nintendo minuses it looks like.(subtractions to the score for no other reason than a game being exclusive to Nintendo hardware).

I can think of little other reason for all of these these 0.5s and 0.2s. Yet a game with horrid a.i. and repeated hyper linear gameplay, not calling any names, gets perfect 10's just because it has a dramatic story from the same persons.

Or deflated review scores?

These two stances are equally absurd, but equally entertaining!

Ratrat

What exactly constitutes a .2 deduction?

Why not either round it up to 10 or down to 9.5? It just seems silly.
Isnt it an aggregate of all the points they give to each area? gameplay, story, graphics etc. Also a 9.8 fom GT is rarer than a 10 from most places. That is an incredible score.

Some of the nitpicking here on reviews is a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom