• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What exactly constitutes a .2 deduction?

Why not either round it up to 10 or down to 9.5? It just seems silly.

Probably just a minor deduction for the story(or certain vaguely confusing motivations), the only real complaint the review touched on.

RayMaker

Banned
Glad to see the scores average out at 9.

For its easy to learn but deep to master combat, varied enemies, bosses and environments. its not in the same league as s lot of other 90+ games, and here why I think that.

The visuals and art style while unique ar not everyones cup of tea
The story isnt winning any oscars
The gameplay could be tedious.

In the reviews there seems to be no one addressing, obvious points which many games may not like.

reviews are just an opinion, though a good reviewer should spend time and effort thinking about different points of view.

With B1 I played the demo on my 360 and thought ''mmmm a wacky fast paced action game'' I didnt think it was bad and can understand why people love it, but reviewers giving B1 and B2 perfect or near perfect scores I cant understand.

and I dont think I'am alone in this, I loved the god of war series including god of war 3, to me its in that higher tier of games that Bayonetta does not belong in and judging by the fact that god of war 3 sold 4.7 million on a single platform and Bayo 1 sold just over 2 million on two platforms supports what I think.

Dont get me wrong its clear its a solid action game but Just what is so special about this game in this day and age?

From GT review:
Bayonetta is such a fantastic lead character that the ride is enjoyable regardless. She exudes confidence with a commanding authority. Sure, her clothes often disappear and there is the occasional close-up of her crotch or breasts, but it happens for a reason. Bayonetta is not only completely satisfied with who she is, she flaunts it in such an empowering way, using sexuality to humiliate her enemies and flipping the script on what we typically see. Every single moment, Bayonetta is in total control, never following the whims of anyone else or seeking approval. When she says “f--- off” after a combo, the words have bite.

A huge contrast to Polygon. I have a feeling that paragraph is a deliberate reaction to Polygon's review!
Saw this and thought I'd share if it hasn't already been posted.

iSA16N9BLUlxw.png

Play the game and make Kamiya smile.
That's a true creator and artist right there!

Jimrpg

I was only going to get one day 1 game this year (Driveclub) but now I might have to get 2. Did not expect the review scores and given I haven't played Bayonetta 1 and I wanted to buy a number of times, this fits the bill perfectly. More games should give out the first one as incentive to buy the sequel, after all there are so many games selling for $5 on steam, it adds so much more value to the sequel.

Zalman

From the GameTrailers review:

Much like the character herself, the way Bayonetta 2 handles unlockables is surprisingly unconventional. There are so many outfits and weapons that can be earned, with none of them hidden behind pre-order bonuses or DLC. As if that weren’t enough, the game comes with an enhanced version of the original Bayonetta. Rarely are we so rewarded for a purchase. If only this were the norm instead of the exception.
So true.

My two cents on the combo system, depth etc:

I never really liked it in the original, though I admittedly did suck at it.
I really enjoyed the combat of The Wonderful 101 in comparison, I found having different weapons with just a standard combo and special attacks with inputs that made sense (jump + attack for rising, 360 degree spin + attack for cyclone) much more intuitive and easier to wrap my head around.

Bayonetta's combo system is just random memorisation of what combinations of buttons do what, with no meaningful reason for them to do that. Like, right now I couldn't tell you what buttons to press to do a launch attack or an AoE attack. I always just found one or two easy combos and just spammed them.

Other than the combo system though, the enemy tells, dodging, dodge offset, panther/bird form etc all feels really damn good. Easily the best in the genre in that aspect.

For its easy to learn but deep to master combat, varied enemies, bosses and environments. its not in the same league as s lot of other 90+ games, and here why I think that.

In the reviews there seems to be no one addressing, obvious points which many games may not like.

reviews are just an opinion, though a good reviewer should spend time and effort thinking about different points of view.

With B1 I played the demo on my 360 and thought ''mmmm a wacky fast paced action game'' I didnt think it was bad and can understand why people love it, but reviewers giving B1 and B2 perfect or near perfect scores I cant understand.

and I dont think I'am alone in this, I loved the god of war series including god of war 3, to me its in that higher tier of games that Bayonetta does not belong in and judging by the fact that god of war 3 sold 4.7 million on a single platform and Bayo 1 sold just over 2 million on two platforms supports what I think.

Dont get me wrong its clear its a solid action game but Just what is so special about this game in this day and age?
I disagree. A reviewer should give the score that they believe it deserves. They can't always worry if it will appeal to the lowest common denominator. Every niche game would get a 2 otherwise.

Have you played either of the games?

I loved the god of war series including god of war 3, to me its in that higher tier of games that Bayonetta does not belong in and judging by the fact that god of war 3 sold 4.7 million on a single platform and Bayo 1 sold just over 2 million on two platforms supports what I think.

Oh boy.

I'll just say I strongly disagree and leave it at that.

Oh dear, please just stop, think of the children

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Which game's visuals and art style are everyone's cup of tea? This should be very close to "none"
And what videogame stories should be winning oscars? You're citing God of War, but that story, too, is typical action-stuff that no one would even think of praising in a book or a movie (going off parts 1 and 2, I don't know 3)
I only know Bayonetta 2, but I think that one is not tedious at all. It never felt tedious to me.

Atram

The Combat System in GoW lacks in so many ways and is no competition to Bayonettas Combat System. Don´t get me wrong, GoW is a Fantastic Game but Bayonetta is so much better in the most important Part for this type of Genre: The Combat System.

There is a simple reason why GoW sells much better, Presentation, Main Character and Gore matches more with the likes of the Western Audience.

In the End the Core of this Games are the Combat and Combo System and this is why Bayonetta is rated so high.

Cross GoW x Bayo Playstyle and we have the Perfect Game in this Genre.

An established and well promoted franchise on its home console outselling a new IP that caters to a niche audience. Wow I dont think thats ever been done before.

High sales doesn't always mean a game is high quality, otherwise we wouldn't be complaining about Destiny so much.

You may prefer GoW to Bayonetta, which is totally fine, but that doesn't mean that Bayonetta isn't a great action game either in the eyes of those that have played it. There are a number of people (including myself) who strongly prefer Bayonetta to GoW for certain reasons, just like you may prefer GoW for different reasons. It's all opinions.

correojon

Well, I think GoW is a watered down version of DMCs gameplay with cutscenes on steroids. The combat system is too simple and relies more in flashy fnishers and QTEs to give you the impression you´re a badass who can do incredible stuff, but gameplaywise it doesn´t ask much of you.

I have only played GoW 1 and disn´t enjoy it much.I was overpowered since the start of the game and I almost never needed to block or dodge, just attacking with all I got was enough to get rid of any enemy setup. I found it boring, specially when comparing it to DMC, but I can see how players who don´t want to invest too much into the game will like it. It´s a casualized DMC.

Dude, Bayonetta has far deeper combat mechanics than the God of War series. Usually the arguments about the best action games go back and forth between NG Black, DMC 3 and Bayonetta. A couple of weirdo's swear by God Hand or Metal Gear Rising, then someone comes in declaring God of War the greatest of all time and everyone bands together to laugh at them.

random25

Wow...let's just say I disagree ever soooooo strongly on those, aside from the fact that I don't agree with pretty much everything you said.

My two cents on the combo system, depth etc:

I never really liked it in the original, though I admittedly did suck at it.
I really enjoyed the combat of The Wonderful 101 in comparison, I found having different weapons with just a standard combo and special attacks with inputs that made sense (jump + attack for rising, 360 degree spin + attack for cyclone) much more intuitive and easier to wrap my head around.

Bayonetta's combo system is just random memorisation of what combinations of buttons do what, with no meaningful reason for them to do that. Like, right now I couldn't tell you what buttons to press to do a launch attack or an AoE attack. I always just found one or two easy combos and just spammed them.

Other than the combo system though, the enemy tells, dodging, dodge offset, panther/bird form etc all feels really damn good. Easily the best in the genre in that aspect.

i agree with this :D ... for me Wonderful 101 combat system is better than Bayonetta... and i also prefer Wonderful 101 level structure than Bayonetta.

K.Sabot

Dude, Bayonetta has far deeper combat mechanics than the God of War series. Usually the arguments about the best action games go back and forth between NG Black, DMC 3 and Bayonetta. A couple of weirdo's swear by God Hand or Metal Gear Rising, then someone comes in declaring God of War the greatest of all time and everyone bands together to laugh at them.

We can't resist, it's a good laugh.

I am pretty pumped for this game, had the first for ps3 but couldn't get through it, really glad it comes with the first as well.

As for the reviews this game will possibly have the highest rating this year when the dust settles.

Hypron

Look its a very good game, its just not 91-100 good.

So what's a 91-100 good game? 'Cause I can safely say Bayonetta 1's got better gameplay than most games that placed in that category in recent years (so if Bayonetta 2 is as good as the first one -which it is according to reviews, it should also be up there).

jonno394

Look its a very good game, its just not 91-100 good.

Nice to know that you KNOW it isn't good enough even though you don't own it.....

It's a shame that a game can be so critically adored but not be commercially successful. I was tempted to Cancel my pre order as I have loads of purchases over the next few weeks but I think seeing how good this game supposedly is, Nintendo and platinum deserve my money.

Yeah its like if DMC , heavenly sword and vanquish all had a baby while on acid.

your either gonna love it or not.

That's fair enough. Bayonetta 2 looks to be at the head of its genre so if you're into this type of action game (which is really rare nowadays) you can't go wrong.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I am pretty pumped for this game, had the first for ps3 but couldn't get through it, really glad it comes with the first as well.

As for the reviews this game will possibly have the highest rating this year when the dust settles.

Not on Gamerankins, The Last of Us is at 95.7%, Diablo 3 at 91.31%, I doubt Bayo 2 will beat those two.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the god of war series including god of war 3, to me its in that higher tier of games that Bayonetta does not belong in and judging by the fact that god of war 3 sold 4.7 million on a single platform and Bayo 1 sold just over 2 million on two platforms supports what I think.

It's clearly not in the Flappy Bird territory of sales = quality either.

Listen, you're free to think GOW3 was a much better game than Bayonetta, but using sales as an argument for quality is dun goofing at it's purest.

RayMaker

Banned
The depth Bayonetta has is in its combat, everything else is just average, the game is tedious,

its just hack some enemies >crazy megton boss> >crazy megton boss>hack some enemies >crazy megton boss > >crazy megton boss.

Nice to know that you KNOW it isn't good enough even though you don't own it.....

It's a shame that a game can be so critically adored but not be commercially successful. I was tempted to Cancel my pre order as I have loads of purchases over the next few weeks but I think seeing how good this game supposedly is, Nintendo and platinum deserve my money.

I have played enough games and seen enough footage that I dont need to buy the game to know that I will get fed up of it after a couple of hours and probably wont bother about firing it up again and will just become a coffee coaster.

Atram

The depth Bayonetta has is in its combat, everything else is just average, the game is tedious,

its just hack some enemies >crazy megton boss> >crazy megton boss>hack some enemies >crazy megton boss > >crazy megton boss.

it´s the combat not the most important Part for a Combat driven Action Game?

v0yce

You found Bayo tedious but you loved GoW? I believe you, but I find that really strange.

Bayonetta just kept building and building through the whole game and I was doing crazy stuff at the end I had never done. It was fantastic.

Shun

B-b-but Bayonetta has Space Harrier/Star Fox and Giant Robot missions. But HawthorneKitty, is it REALLY a sex mini game?

By your logic, God of War is just hack some enemies, QTE, hack enemies, QTE, Cinematic Sequence, some boss, QTE, hack, QTE, cinematics with the only depth in visuals rather than actual action gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom