• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GamerGate thread 2: it's about feminism in games journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayt

Banned
What the fuck does that even mean? Do these people think being a gamer is a genetic biological trait or somethig equally insane?

On a related note. Too bad it is so hard to read.

B2MKiDHCMAAx_X0.jpg

RogueStar just tweeted that he is delivering his nuclear data to the "right people" and calling out Jonathan Blow. He then tweeted FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC. /rolleyes

From KiA:

This is my third fight with the SJWs they co-opt everything. Do not underestimate them, one of the last stages that SJWs use is anonymous rape allegations. They are very good at the guilty before innocence narrative. Even topping off a wine glass of a female coworker can cast suspicion. Be very careful of what you say everything will be used against us.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I was previously unfamiliar with this "Moviebob" but I love his big picture video series.

This thread really introduced me to some interesting media critics.

I.....I kinda can't stand him to be honest. He seems to be a nice guy and all but....I dunno. I watched his Scream IV review years ago and him starting with "Before Scary Movie knowing about movies was my superpower and that movie took it away by making fun of superheroes like me" was incredibly awkward and a lot of his videos have such a...tone.

lexi

Banned
So I think I lost a friend over Gamergate. They're not even a gamer, but they do believe in the evil and prevalence of SJW's.

The conversation culminated in them questioning me if I was a feminist to which I said I was. They told me they were sorry they ever 'misidentified me as a friend' and proceeded to remove me from their life.

So I think I lost a friend over Gamergate. They're not even a gamer, but they do believe in the evil and prevalence of SJW's.

The conversation culminated in them questioning me if I was a feminist to which I said I was. They told me they were sorry they ever 'misidentified me as a friend' and proceeded to remove me from their life.

I mean, it's a really uncomfortable experience and really vexing, but honestly, your friend doesn't sound like they were a good person to have around. I lost a few friends over "SJW" issues - hell, I had to leave a group of gaming friends I had because they were constantly complaining about SJWs - but the discomfort of not having those friends anymore is minor compared to the comfort of not having people like that in your life.

Roosh V, owner of Return of Kings, just opened up a video game site. He admits that he's not a gamer and hasn't played a game since 2000. :|

Goal of the website:

Our goal is simple: create a safe space for heterosexual males who play video games. We won’t exclude homosexuals or attractive women from commenting on our articles, and we sincerely hope they find value in what we have to say, but understand that this site will be written by male gamers for male gamers. It aims to be a place where men can be themselves without SJW infiltration, judgement, and influence. In the year 2014, surprisingly, there are very few spaces for men online where their message isn’t attacked by white knights, man-haters, and SJW’s. I know an unmet need when I see one.

Aexact

I.....I kinda can't stand him to be honest. He seems to be a nice guy and all but....I dunno. I watched his Scream IV review years ago and him starting with "Before Scary Movie knowing about movies was my superpower and that movie took it away by making fun of superheroes like me" was incredibly awkward and a lot of his videos have such a...tone.
Huh. Though I find the self-deprecating tone cheerfully but comfortably self-aware, in the same vein as Zero Punctuation and Jimquisition.

Like the guy who posted the review of his book, I feel that his flippant tone doesn't translate so cleanly when it doesn't have the Big Picture/Escape to the Movie's shorthand face reactions, pictures of what he's off-handedly but not explicitly referencing (which is why the text-only version of the reviews always lose something) and his authoritative Brooklyn accent to indicate when he's being snippy.

jstripes

Banned

I dunno how attached you were to this person, but honestly, it doesn't sound like much of a loss.

I guess if they push everyone else away, they at least get to have some ownership over their ever decreasing circle of friends.

Yeah, I had to do my first and hopefully only defriend on FB a while back because someone (who had gotten into it with me over social issues before) went completely off the rails when I simply mentioned GG in a status update.

Like, went off the rails.

Started bringing up how Gawker was poisoning me (even though I had not mentioned Gawker in the update nor ever linked to a Kotaku article) and that mansplaining was a gender slur when my cousin got involved.

Person wasn't worth having as a friend, imho.

Dryk

If they didn't even give the courtesy of asking which branch of feminism you subscribe to its probably for the best

JC Sera

Watched the moviebob thing really good insight to a lot of things, especially the entitlement that you can say shit on social media and they are obliged to give you a platform.
Also as for TBs comment you'd have to 1) not watch the video 2) watch the video and miss the point so completely to write that
I couldn't find him in the comments however?

Nanashrew

Banned
RogueStar just tweeted that he is delivering his nuclear data to the "right people" and calling out Jonathan Blow. He then tweeted FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC. /rolleyes

So he's finally starting that nuclear option he endlessly talks about? So GG has finally reached that slow down period.

udivision

That friend sounds like a bum, but this points to the image issue that feminism has. I think people know this, so I'm not saying anything new. But feminism itself is pretty broad and dictionary definitions aren't enough to convince people of what it means to be a feminist and there are many different beliefs held by feminists. That's why people typically hesitate to label themselves with the world or have varying definitions of it. The irony is not lost on me that this is the same issue that #GG is facing, but if you're not dealing with super-exclusive clubs, "Who's a member" can always be a point of conflict.

Ty4on

Still not working for me, it only shows the first page of the comments as a forum. Maybe its because I'm not a member. Thanks anyway :)

It's in the facebook comments.
If you still can't find it:
f40ehaa.png

I waited for far too long before I watched this, but it was a nice summary of why twitter blocking users isn't sensorchip.

Edit: I love the skeleton responses to TB :D
Erin Burke said:
The mechanical context does not "fly in its face". The presence of a penalty (especially a token penalty as in Hitman: Absolution) does not negate the larger point being made, nor is a critical-path, mechanically-optimized playthrough the only thing we should be paying attention to.

GTA also "penalizes" you for running over civilians (by increasing the wanted level, thereby increasing your risk of death or arrest). Yet it would be ludicrous to claim that running over civilians (and other wanton violence) isn't a big part of the GTA series.

Hitman is, in many ways, a sandbox. Much of the appeal of the game comes from screwing around with the environment and its rules to see what you can and can't do.

And no, her videos never go anywhere near "games cause players to become sexist". The underlying idea is that media portrayals, -in aggregate-, can have an influence on our perceptions, attitudes, beliefs, etc. Media can have a normalizing effect. This is not the same as "Games make you sexist"; at most, it is "games, like any other form of media, can reinforce and perpetuate sexist ideas that exist within society".

And for anyone that doesn't think media has any effect on us, well...the advertising industry would like a word with you.
Casey Walrath said:
Hitman is actually an extremely useful example when discussing Sarkeesian and Gamergate: If you defend Tropes v. Women and someone immediately responds with, "b...b..bbbut HITMAN" you can safely assume they've probably not bothered to watch her videos to form original thoughts about them and engage in good-faith debate, but are instead content to sit back and regurgitate talking points. After all, Sarkeesian discusses dozens and dozens of games, but it always...always...always comes back to Hitman for GG.
Julián Ramírez said:
Andrew Kilroy [response to GGer] The problem is that, if those "spurious accusations" are so frequent, it's at least odd that there seem to be NO OTHER fault found or mentioned other than that simple example. It is not a "silver bullet" that instantly kills and refutes every other point Sarkeesian has put forward, as much as some would like it to be the case.

JC Sera

It's in the facebook comments.
If you still can't find it:
f40ehaa.png

I waited for far too long before I watched this, but it was a nice summary of why twitter blocking users isn't sensorchip.
Ah! I have extensions which blocks/opts out of facebook stuff like that
Thank you very much
:)

sneaky77

Sounds like a win (for you)

aeolist

Banned
Out of context that quote from Anita does seem dumb, but a threat to gaming it is not

i dunno, i don't really see it as dumb. they're background objects designed to titillate, and the only way you can play with them is by killing them and dragging around their corpses. the game (hell the entire series really) is about messing with everything around you and seeing how the game systems react, and in that level one of the systems is a "sexy" little toy.

Man... TB is starting to become some kind of supernatural being. In that he appears everywhere, someone must be summoning him.

Also I love the responses he got on Moviebob's video. Great counterpoints, though the number of 'likes' TB's comment got is still worrying.

Man... TB is starting to become some kind of supernatural being. In that he appears everywhere, someone must be summoning him.

Also I love the responses he got on Moviebob's video. Great counterpoints, though the number of 'likes' TB's comment got is still worrying.
I think it's just the result of spending all day surfing the web, and loudly announcing whenever you visit a site.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I meant to post in regards to TotalBiscuit dropping the hashtag, that he's rarely ever actually used it. So him saying he'll stop using the hashtag means next to nothing. As far as I can tell he's still supportive of this shitty movement, he's just trying to be sneaky about it.
A bit off-topic, but... I think it's funny how TB is saying now that DRM-free builds are a consumer friendly policy, when not too long ago he was all for the awful Xbox One policies and laughing at the #PS4NoDRM campaign. Does he want us to forget that stuff ever happened or what?

I guess this is actually about ethics in DRM-free games, or something.

Lemondish

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. A lot of folks seem to be mentioning that this is good for you, or that they weren't a real friend, but it's still tough to be in a situation like that.

It still sucks.

eRonin

A bit off-topic, but... I think it's funny how TB is saying now that DRM-free builds are a consumer friendly policy, when not too long ago he was all for the awful Xbox One policies and laughing at the #PS4NoDRM campaign. Does he want us to forget that stuff ever happened or what?

I guess this is actually about ethics in DRM-free games, or something.

It's a shame, I used to respect TB. But now he keeps contradicting himself and supporting people and movements that are toxic to the gaming community as well as the wider community (since people unrelated to gaming has been targeted)

It really is crazy. He's just everywhere on the internet. Youtube, twitter, Facebook, etc. And always with these shitty but extremely verbose comments.

I don't know how the dude even finds time to play games, as his online presence must be such a time-consuming endeavor. I guess us mere mortals just aren't able to be on tb's level though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom