• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 - First Person Mode Confirmed, First Screens, Trailer, 4K on PC

Gold Member
I wonder if we'll be able to drive cars and bikes with the ds4 motion control? ... that would be cool.

It said in that GTAVOClock podcast that you can, but it was ridiculously hard. I am just so excited for this game again now. I loved playing it last year but coming from PC to 360 to play it was painful. Can't wait to play it with decent graphics!

Gangxxter

I think it's awesome that you can throw grenades now by swiping up on the DS4 touchpad without the need to switch weapons.

jpbonadio

Banned
It said in that GTAVOClock podcast that you can, but it was ridiculously hard. I am just so excited for this game again now. I loved playing it last year but coming from PC to 360 to play it was painful. Can't wait to play it with decent graphics!

Thanks for the info, i didn't watch that video.

I am super excited too, even after finishing it last year.

When playing it on the X360 I was always thinking: "This game is so beautiful, but these jaggies are hard to handle. I hope Rockstar release it at the ps4 next year ... imagine all this beauty without these jaggies." ... well, here we are.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies if this has been covered already but are there any impressions which talk specifically about how the characters feel to play as/move as in comparison to the PS3/360 versions ? (in first person and third person)

I'm just wondering how improved the controls are in the current gen version, as I thought movement had that typical RAGE engine stiffness to it in the old gen versions, especially with the combat.

Apologies if this has been covered already but are there any impressions which talk specifically about how the characters feel to play as/move as in comparison to the PS3/360 versions ? (in first person and third person)

I'm just wondering how improved the controls are in the current gen version, as I thought movement had that typical RAGE engine stiffness to it in the old gen versions, especially with the combat.
Doesn't sound or look any different in third person. First-person has a new movement/cover system though so maybe that may feel smoother for you, or, when used in tandem with third-person, make the overall smoothness better.

People that played Battlefield 3/4 and GTA on PS3 .Guys, is the control scheme for choppers/jets similar?

Control scheme for choppers in GTAV is the same as GTAIII, VC, SA, and IV (only changes were swapping lift/lower from X/Square to the triggers in the HD era). Only difference is they're a little "bouncier" in V, and the camera seems more rigid in all air craft.

Basically:

You get lift with R2. You drop with L2.
As the chopper lifts, you use the left analog stick UP to point the nose to the ground, which causes you to move forward. Pointing the nose to the sky (pulling down on Left ANalog) causes it to move backwards, but this is less stable.
You use L1 and R1 to control your yaw, making turns on a single axis, for instance, holding R1 will cause you to spin around in a circle in place.
You use the left analog stick left/right to bank to the left and the right.

Flying planes is pretty similar, hasn't changed since San Andreas except for making throttle be the R2 instead of X/Square.

In third person it will probably move similar to 360/PS3. Players have that very "Weighty" momentum feel in Rage engine games, and that sounds like it won't change. It may perform slightly better because of a consistent framerate.

I didn't care much for the bikes at all in GTA5. In VC and SA 90% of what I drove were bikes. I even put in a decent amount of bike time in GTA4, but in 5 they just weren't much fun for me and I had a much better time with the cars.
Its so much easier to lose the cops in a bike, provided you don't smack into something of course.

Its so much easier to lose the cops in a bike, provided you don't smack into something of course.
So easy to die on a bike though haha and I reset the game to my last save if I die (ironman thing; just to make the game for challenging/fun) so speeding on bikes especially in traffic scares me shitless sometimes :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't sound or look any different in third person. First-person has a new movement/cover system though so maybe that may feel smoother for you, or, when used in tandem with third-person, make the overall smoothness better.

In third person it will probably move similar to 360/PS3. Players have that very "Weighty" momentum feel in Rage engine games, and that sounds like it won't change. It may perform slightly better because of a consistent framerate.

Thanks folks. I wouldn't mind if it was just similar to say, Max Payne 3, which was weighty but I thought controlled really well in comparison to GTA V. Still, I'll give it a go regardless and first person mode may be much improved :)

People that played Battlefield 3/4 and GTA on PS3 .Guys, is the control scheme for choppers/jets similar?

All you need to know mate - If you handled a Dodo in GTA3 then there is nothing in this life you can't do. Controlling a Dodo is quite literally one of the hardest feats in all of gaming.

I would say:

1. Ikagaru
2. super star wars (SNES)
3. Dodo flying in GTA3 and plane in VC (not SA)
4. Alma in Ninja Gaiden (SCREW YOU LADY)
5. dark souls or whatever the kids are into these days

bud23

Underglow confirmed?

rsggtavngscreenshot110jpg-37b978.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
That's why you look at a game which is often used in benchmarks (like Arma3) and has a reputation of being able to bring cutting edge machines to their knees. With Arma3 you can go from 60fps at max settings with a reduced viewing distance, to barely 20fps if you slide it towards ridiculous settings.

Really curious if Rockstar will implement a viewing distance slider for the PC release, don't remember IV or previous GTA's having one?

?

gta.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm pretty sure I'm the last person on Gaf who hasn't played the game at all yet. I can't wait to try it on PS4.
I did play for about 15 minutes on PS3, but the performance was garbage and I had to stop. Figured I could wait for the PC version, however long it took. That's not because I'm only somewhat interested in the game, but because I'm so hyped that playing it at 720p/20-25fps would be a travesty. I want my first time to be in full 1080p/60fps glory.

So, so damn happy I waited. Getting a properly reworked version with first-person playable perspective and video editing tools and drastically improved graphics was much more than I could have originally hoped for.

Its gonna be glorious.

kaskade

I've been watching that video over and over and it looks so cool. It's kind of weird because I think of 3d GTA as third person but man being eye level with the city looks so awesome. I was mostly likely going to buy it just for the graphical/performance upgrade but this just sold me. It's almost a completely different game.

AmyS

I went against what I said I was going to do -- To wait for the PS4 version to experience GTAV for the first time.

I've played the PS3 for a total of about 6 hours now.

Although the performance sucks, I am impressed with what Rockstar was able to do on ~decade old hardware (CELL and NV47 (G70) based RSX with half the ROPs and bus width compared to the full 7800). In terms of open world design, lighting, overall graphics. I haven't played the Xbox 360 version but the framerate dips lower than the PS3 version according to Digital Foundry's test.

GTAV is a game I would be happy to triple-dip on.

The delay of the PC version gives me a little time to save up for a gaming rig and I'll be looking forward to both Rockstar's recommended specs and also what PC-GAF uses to hit Ultra quality @ 60 FPS early next year.

Anywhoo, we are well under 2 weeks til the PS4/Xbox One releases ^__^

Druz

If there was one thing GTA didn't need, it was a first-person view mode. Kinda baffled that people are excited about this to be honest, but then I'm the sort of person who instantly becomes less interested in a game if it's in first-person perspective rather than third-person.

Maybe people want to experience the detailed world through a characters eyes instead of the back of a body? There are fantastic reasons to have such a mode. It'd a bonus, its not cowing strictly to first person shooter appear like you people who love panic attacks think.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
First person looks like a neat novelty, but you lose too much visual information switching from 3rd person IMO. I cant see myself playing it very long.

GTAF put together a couple more comparison gifs last night.
http://gtaforums.com/topic/714737-gtav-graphics-old-gen-vs-new-gen/page-21
Credit to user WhatsStrength again for taking the pics, and Gr4ny for animating the gifs.

pJg1AHH.gif

ROjEEul.gif

Obvious time of day differences aside, and the small size, the most interesting thing to note is that there are new trees. For the most part, the PS4 version has not had any new world objects per se. Mostly it's just old world objects replaced with updated models. There's been new foliage (no physical model, e.g. you won't crash into it) but there's not been much evidence of new actual world objects like completely new trees, new walls, etc. A few (such as the decorative palm tree outside the Vinewood Ammunation) but for example Chiliad Forest doesn't seem to have new trees. But in that last pic (specifically behind the grain silos), you can see some new trees (new actual nodes on the ground) so that's a positive sign that other locations will also have not just improved trees/foliage but actually a higher number of unique trees.

I would guess Rockstar is being very careful with new trees so any new trees will probably try to take existing locations of other notes (e.g. a stump) because otherwise it will create problems for all the existing GTAO maps/races that may already go through those locations, and I'm sure R* wants all the GTAO maps already made to seamlessly work with the new versions.

GTAF put together a couple more comparison gifs last night.
http://gtaforums.com/topic/714737-gtav-graphics-old-gen-vs-new-gen/page-21
Credit to user WhatsStrength again for taking the pics, and Gr4ny for animating the gifs.

pJg1AHH.gif

ROjEEul.gif

Obvious time of day differences aside, and the small size, the most interesting thing to note is that there are new trees. For the most part, the PS4 version has not had any new world objects per se. Mostly it's just old world objects replaced with updated models. There's been new foliage (no physical model, e.g. you won't crash into it) but there's not been much evidence of new actual world objects like completely new trees, new walls, etc. A few (such as the decorative palm tree outside the Vinewood Ammunation) but for example Chiliad Forest doesn't seem to have new trees. But in that last pic (specifically behind the grain silos), you can see some new trees (new actual nodes on the ground) so that's a positive sign that other locations will also have not just improved trees/foliage but actually a higher number of unique trees.

I would guess Rockstar is being very careful with new trees so any new trees will probably try to take existing locations of other notes (e.g. a stump) because otherwise it will create problems for all the existing GTAO maps/races that may already go through those locations, and I'm sure R* wants all the GTAO maps already made to seamlessly work with the new versions.

There are no new trees in those shots. The perspective is different, that's why you're seeing them.

There are no new trees in those shots. The perspective is different, that's why you're seeing them.

There are clearly new trees in the farm GIF. There's a big one next to the barn on the right which isn't there on the last-gen shot. The camera is further away in the last-gen shot too, so it would be in view if it was there.

And there are also some "normal" shaped trees behind the barn on the left, whereas there are only tall/thin shaped ones in the last-gen version. There perspective isn't so different that we wouldn't be able to see them if they were there.

There are clearly new trees in the farm GIF. There's a big one next to the barn on the right which isn't there on the last-gen shot. The camera is further away in the last-gen shot too, so it would be in view if it was there.

And there are also some "normal" shaped trees behind the barn on the left, whereas there are only tall/thin shaped ones in the last-gen version. There perspective isn't so different that we wouldn't be able to see them if they were there.

The camera is lower and closer in on the last gen shot, seems like draw distance improvements to me

The camera is lower and closer in on the last gen shot, seems like draw distance improvements to me

I'm not sure. Those "normal" shaped tress look like they're in pretty much the same position as the narrower trees in the remaster, yet the narrower trees are being rendered in the last-gen shot.

We will have to wait 6 more days to reveal the truth of this mystery!

I was considering perspective, too. I actually have a helicopter in-game at the location checking right now :p The number of trees are different but the number of 'node areas' aren't. So, behind the left silo in the distance near that purple tree, they replaced some of the old 'dead' trees (which are very short and hard to see at that distance in the screenshot) or the tree stumps (from logging, which you can't see in the screenshot) with new trees. In contrast, if you look at the right solo, they actually reduced the number of trees. I checked in-game and there's 4 small trees now and in the screenshot they replaced the 2 smaller trees with 1 big one. Basically, they are adding or removing entire trees but in general the world 'foot print' isn't changing -- that's so that trees aren't randomly being placed in open areas where GTAO maps already exist.

In that screenshot, any new trees are still being placed where there currently existing world objects (e.g. a stump) or by groups of old objects (e.g. replacing 2-3 smaller trees with 1 big tree) so that the 'foot print' or basically 'asset nodes' aren't changing. You can see this in other examples, too.

0_0.jpg

rsggtavngscreenshot143jpg-37b977_640w.jpg

New tree on the right there, but also notice that it's carefully placed near a building on top of the sort of cement pottery platform so that it doesn't obstruct existing gameplay. Same concept as the other picture where new trees are placed either on old objects (e.g. tree stumps) or at least near old objects (replacing 3 small trees with 1 large tree) so that in general old gameplay, old GTAO death-match modes (objects being placed like storage containers), GTAO race maps and their race paths (or objects placed like ramps, storage containers) are not obstructed now by completely new objects.

So it seems to show we will get some new trees where they can place theme (e.g. replace old objects, on top of previous objects) but we won't be just getting totally new random trees in the middle of an open field because that could obstruct past GTAO player-made maps. At least for the most part... I mean if they added trees randomly to Palomino Highlands, I don't think anyone would care because it's so empty there and there's probably no important GTAO maps in such an empty area anyhow... but Chiliad Forest, for example? There are so many player maps that use the current forest and tree 'foot prints' for their racing paths and object placement than new trees added to Chiliad Forest would certainly wreck many player-made maps. But they could be adding a few in place of other objects like stumps, fences, rocks, etc as they seem to have done in Grapeseed.

whiteape

GTA:O always had less objects in the world than GTA5. Will be the same on PS4/XB1. Maybe all the new trees won't be there as well.

Top Bottom