• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square2015

I think we'll get our remake in 2017, when the FFVII 10-year compilation series is over...which will be in 2017...makes sense to me.

*fingers crossed*

Dark_castle

Sony posted a 4 minute recap of the PSX keynote.

Seems they didnt think it was worth putting in any shots a certain announcement. Can you guess which?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pkYyq15tP8&list=UU-2Y8dQb0S6DtpxNgAKoJKA

ibvrctjlhk2ojq.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
2K Likes for the Youtube video in the OP...and 18K Dislikes.

To me, this really represents the psychology of Japanese business.

They didn't do any market research to figure out how FFVII is perceived, and how pervasive the idea of an FFVII remake is.

Instead, the decision to make a port from PC a big, energetic reveal was decided from on high by a Japanese executive. It was most certainly Hashimoto himself. "They're gonna love it!" he decreed, completely out of touch with the sensitivity of the issue on the ground.

A market-oriented company would have found out that FFVII fans expect a remake, and figured out a way to deliver the message of a port in a way that would be reasonably received by fans.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
It's not like a remake even needs to have a FFXV level AAA budget. They can just make it a lower budget game. Resident Evil Revelations 2 level budget. Something that looks pretty good on PS4 and can also have a Vita version. SE has never done a AAA remake before. It's almost always lower budget portable titles. Why would they start now?

Koozek

Over 2000 posts. Seems people are really excited for the FFVII port. You did good SE, you did good.

Oooh, there you are, finally!!! :D
PLEASE tell us, is this the "remake" you where talking about? Did you know about this port? If so, have you been looking forward to our tears?
I need some kind of closure, some information. Do me the favor. I've always trusted you, now I'm not sure anymore.
Maybe you knew about the port last year already and you goal was to fool us into believing you about the "remake", so you could have your Knack army. Did I lose, having chosen "m) FFVII remake is announced"? Isn't it, technically, a remake, though just a really whack one?

Don't play games with our hearts. You should live up to your name, Verendus - the awe-inspiring.

Square-Enix are so out of touch it's hilarious. They're like the senile elderly relative at a family party that unintentionally embarrasses themselves.

Do some market research guys and THINK before you make an announcement like this in front of the entire Playstation fan base.

This would have been a lovely little announcement for fans if they had made it on the PS Blog or even if they had come on stage with new KH3 and FFXV trailers and just dropped it in there at the end. But the way it was built up here… absolutely dumbfounded by their ignorance.

Koozek

Maybe they'll reveal the real deal at Jump Festa and this really was just an elaborate prank :D That'd be genius and I actually would applaud them for that, haha.

PLEASE tell us, is this the "remake" you where talking about? Did you know about this port? If so, have you been looking forward to our tears?
I need some kind of closure, some information. Do me the favor. I've always trusted you, now I'm not sure anymore.
Maybe you knew about the port last year already and you goal was to fool us into believing you about the "remake", so you could have your Knack army. Did I lose, having chosen "m) FFVII remake is announced"? Isn't it, technically, a remake, though just a really whack one?

Don't play games with our hearts. You should live up to your name, Verendus - the awe-inspiring.

I too would like to know if the FFVII remake he mentioned is still a real thing or if this is all we're getting.

I never assumed they were doing a remake but I honestly thought they would put some effort into an update (translation, music, new bosses, etc...) if only for the eventual mobile port.

butman

It's funny how Sony will never say that two of their most anticipated games will never be delivered.

FF VII Remake
TLG

That's the cruelest thing in history of videogames.

Verendus

Banned

First, to get the important part out of the way, you lost the avatar bet. And yes, I was aware of a port of the PC version coming, although I did not know that last year. That's a more recent thing I learnt of a couple months ago through necessity.

And no, this isn't what I referred to a year ago. I think that should be apparent considering what I've said in the past, but let's clarify here for the last time. Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know. And to be fair, I don't really care about the extra stuff whatever that ends up being since I don't exactly think the original Compilation was any good. I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

This is obviously ignoring the massive elephant in the room, but either way, FFXV and KH3 come first since they're the priority projects at the moment. After that is when any substantial work will begin to happen with the other stuff.

First, to get the important part out of the way, you lost the avatar bet. And yes, I was aware of a port of the PC version coming, although I did not know that last year. That's a more recent thing I learnt of a couple months ago through necessity.

And no, this isn't what I referred to a year ago. I think that should be apparent considering what I've said in the past, but let's clarify here for the last time. Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know. And to be fair, I don't really care about the extra stuff whatever that ends up being since I don't exactly think the original Compilation was any good. I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

This is obviously ignoring the massive elephant in the room, but either way, FFXV and KH3 come first since they're the priority projects at the moment. After that is when any substantial work will begin to happen with the other stuff.

So is it a 20th anniversary thing then?

dramatis

You don't understand how any of this works, I'm afraid. The decision to fund a new Dragon Quest or a Final Fantasy remake is not a binary one. Dragon Quest is developed by Yuji Horii and his team; their work has nothing to do with what's going on in the Final Fantasy realm. The team to work on a FFVII remake would come from the FF side exclusively and would not have any impact on what Armor Project is doing, budget-wise, manpower-wise or otherwise.

Trouble is, all your arguments are coming just as much "from the heart" as mine allegedly are. You have no more grounds for your argument than I do, which is simple common sense and an observation of the widespread and persistent demand for a FFVII remake within and without the gaming community. You're saying "nuh uh, it won't sell that much." I say you're wrong. That's kind of it.

Also, you can't really think 3 generations are a long time in this space; surely you have more awareness of the gaming world than that. We're seeing remakes and remasters of games from around that span all the time, most of which don't have the cachet of FFVII. You can dismiss the importance, popularity and staying power of the game all you like, but again, you're wrong.
The decision to fund a DQ or an FF is not binary, but the pool of money is only so big. In other words, shelling out to fund a 7 remake versus allocating that money to a DQ/FF or a batch of mobile games, those are decisions limited by the money.

I've substantiated my argument with sales numbers, a comparison to the Resident Evil to REmake sales, and specified the difficulties in developing such a remake without a significant investment on Square's part. I have a reasonable ground to stand on from which one can see exactly why Square would not do a 7 remake in the style of REmake. You have an anecdote about your city newspaper and your personal feeling that 7 was a game that defined its generation. Your observations about 'demand' is not substantiated by numbers; it does not translate into definitive high sales. It does not mark amazing profit for a lot of work. It's nothing on a spreadsheet.

There's certainly a lot of remasters and remakes, but the chief distinction between them and FF7 is the absence of the original game development data. Those remasters and remakes and rereleases can come about because the cost of making those is less than the cost of producing a 7 REmake. It boils down to numbers. The reason why I went so much into detail about the amount of work needed to do such a remake is because this is the key difference between doing 7 and doing those other games—the cost.

The emphasis on numbers has to do with the difference between Yoichi Wada and Yosuke Matsuda. Wada, for all of his problems and faults, is a guy who is into HD, believes in consoles, and greenlights games like Nier and Drakengard because for some strange reason he likes them or he likes the developers. Under his reign, 10/10-2 can get greenlit even though eventually it was also a troubled development entailing a lot of expenditure that probably wasn't part of the original idea behind the project. FF14 can get a second chance instead of being written off as a failure. Matsuda's background is chief financial officer of SE. His actions in the past year and half demonstrates he is clearly a guy very focused on profit. He's oriented much of the company production towards mobile games; Luminous Studio has been folded into the FF15 development team, and enough interference has been done in FF15 development that Nomura left the development. He himself stated, when he became CEO, "I plan on reviewing all Square Enix duties, business and assets on a zero-based budgeting standpoint." Matsuda is the current CEO of SE.

If you aren't talking money, if you aren't talking sales, then the current Square Enix isn't looking at you or an FF7 remake. Your anecdotes and observations of demand (from where?) do not hold ground against sales numbers or development costs.

Floppies, CDs, DVDs, Blurays. Three generations ago, we were floppies. Walkman, CD player, MP3 player, smartphone. Three generations ago, we were Walkmans. Even if there's a crowd of people who loved Walkmans, and Sony releases a high quality, special Walkman in the present day and age, it's not going to sell millions.

Loakum

Banned

so you saying...there is..a chance?

Revisiting FF 7 world with FF XV graphics, even if a different game, should be a dream come true.

20th anniversary of FF7.

TheHall

Crisis Core for PS4 confirmed.

Thanks Verendus

Verendus

Banned
So is it a 20th anniversary thing then?
I don't think the main game will be a 20th anniversary thing. FFXV, by the time it releases, will have around 4-5 years of development behind it not including pre-production. Granted, that's a special case, but they're not going to get something big out there that quickly when it's all at such an early stage. Not unless something drastically changes in how efficient they are, and very soon. I do imagine there'll be something from this overall project out there for that time though. That could be anything though. Maybe they do a novella, or some kind of small feature, or some kind of small spin-off, or whatever they think up.

Revisiting FF 7 world with FF XV graphics, even if a different game, should be a dream come true.
I don't think the home console game with that kind of investment will end up being a sequel or something. I do think that'll be the remake due to certain reasons, and that hasn't changed in recent times.

My guess
Crisis Core HD remaster in 2017 (Prequel to FF7 - Introduction into the World of 7)

2018-2019 Fiinal Fantasy 7 Remake

its happening daaammn !!!!!!

I don't think the main game will be a 20th anniversary thing. FFXV, by the time it releases, will have around 4-5 years of development behind it not including pre-production. Granted, that's a special case, but they're not going to get something big out there that quickly when it's all at such an early stage. Not unless something drastically changes in how efficient they are, and very soon. I do imagine there'll be something from this overall project out there for that time though. That could be anything though. Maybe they do a novella, or some kind of small feature, or some kind of small spin-off, or whatever they think up.

I don't think the home console game with that kind of investment will end up being a sequel or something. I do think that'll be the remake due to certain reasons, and that hasn't changed in recent times.
So maybe something small on the 20th anniversary along with the announcement of the remake? That sounds possible to me.

Verendus

Banned
Dirge of Cerberus remake
Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus remaster would be a nice way to milk things. Like a douple pack, and maybe add something to it. They can add it alongside the pile of FFX remaster, XII remaster, KH next gen remasters, and whatever other remasters they are inevitably planning. It's all a bit ridiculous really.

In the best case scenario, it sells as much as an FF mainline title. Maybe it sells a little more? Let's just go wild here and assume that it completely recaptures the nostalgia market. The buzz goes beyond the traditional FF fanbase and picks up many new customers who have heard the hype. Let's just say it sells 30% more than the usual mainline FF (which is a generous fantasy).

It still takes an AAA budget. It's a complete new game project because 0% of the original game is reuseable. Worse yet, it's a new game that is beholden to an old game design. You can't cut out anything - you are slavishly mandated to make an incredibly large game with today's demanding graphical standards. It would be a massive development. One of Square largest. It could be bigger than FFXV's development.

And then let's imagine that it could sell worse than a mainline FF game. It's not new mainstream hotness like it needs to be, it's just another port/remake that people outside a dedicated fanbase ignore as usual. It could go that way.

The point being: the financials don't mandate this game's existence. It's not a "make millions of dollars free" card. It's actually a recipie for a gigantic money sink that might make "ok" money back - at best. They could get lucky? But there are no guarantees of massive returns.

The reason to make this game is not because it prints money. It won't. You may want to make this for reasons of giving Square's flagship series prestige and to build the brand. Or you may want to do this instead of a mainline entry in order to make what is essntially a mainline entry with a built in audience.

But to all those saying "Square doesn't want money. Why are they so dumb" etc... they haven't thought this through. Making it would be a risk, not a cash-in.

Not to diminish what you said, you do have a point. But I do think that when you are garanteed to at least sell like a mainline FF game on this day in age, you take that risk. It's not like this industry has an abundance of IPs that can sell 5 million copies at the very least (and I do believe a remake would at least sell that).

Koozek

Well, what can I say. Thou shalt honor thy gambling debts. I will join your Knack army.

Wow, thank you for this great answer. Very informative and interesting.
Hmm, so this will probably be some kind of 20th Anniversary thing, I guess.
Can't wait to see what they'll come up with. Probably a sequel, rather than a remake. Might be for the better. As much as I would love the hype and spectacle around a proper remake, I don't actually think they could possibly meet the absurd expectations and do the legacy justice. A sequel with a moderate to high budget could work out, as Crisis Core proved. Who knows.

EDIT: Okay, read your other posts. So the project's core game most likely is no sequel, I see.

I was talking more about a spin-off and not a direct sequel. Stuff like Crisis Core.

Still whether it is a remake or a spin-off, unless it is a Dirge of Cerebus, I am happy :)

antitrop

Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus remaster would be a nice way to milk things. Like a douple pack, and maybe add something to it. They can add it alongside the pile of FFX remaster, XII remaster, KH next gen remasters, and whatever other remasters they are inevitably planning. It's all a bit ridiculous really.
I would be all about some FFXII IZJS Remastering for PS4.

Loakum

Banned
If Square Enix actually came to their senses, and one day actually release a Remake of Final Fantasy VII...it will probably be decades from now. Look at how long it's taking them to release Final Fantasy XV (formally known as Versus XIII).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom