• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

If Square Enix actually came to their senses, and one day actually release a Remake of Final Fantasy VII...it will probably be decades from now. Look at how long it's taking them to release Final Fantasy XV (formally known as Versus XIII).
Let's be optimistic and say it would release in 2019. I would be 28 by then. I was 7 when I played the original one in '98 :D Jesus.

Koozek

Probably be announcing the next Playstation platform at that time.
No problem. It'll get the upscaled UHD Remaster that runs on their Shin-Ra Cloud technology, developed by Avalanche Studios, a year later (probably not even that far from the truth) :p

Now that I think about it: could the „revisiting the world“-project be running in their Shin-Ra cloud?

If Square Enix actually came to their senses, and one day actually release a Remake of Final Fantasy VII...it will probably be decades from now. Look at how long it's taking them to release Final Fantasy XV (formally known as Versus XIII).

this is my thinking as well. there is no way this game could possibly be in our hands in a timely fashion with FFXV and KH3 in production. unless you want a premature announcement and a 5+ year wait.

FFXIIIvs/FFXV. an entire console generation came and went in the span of this games existence. announce a FFVII remake today? we wont play it until the PlayStation5.

Probably be announcing the next Playstation platform at that time.

No problem. It'll get the upscaled UHD Remaster that runs on their Shin-Ra Cloud technology, developed by Avalanche Studios, a year later (probably not even that far from the truth) :p

Now that I think about it: could the „revisiting the world“-project be running in their Shin-Ra cloud?

Seriously speaking though I don't see Sony changing architectures for the PS5, so they could easily make it cross gen if it came out around the PS5's launch, that or just release it on PS4 and let backwards compatibility be the way to play it on PS5.

AgeEighty

The decision to fund a DQ or an FF is not binary, but the pool of money is only so big. In other words, shelling out to fund a 7 remake versus allocating that money to a DQ/FF or a batch of mobile games, those are decisions limited by the money.

Not really. As I said, DQ and FF are separate teams and separate entities within the company. The same is true of the mobile teams. If work on a complete top to bottom rebuild of FFVII draws money and resources from anything, it'll be other console FF projects. DQ and mobile will not be affected at all. Your version of things is not how S-E operates.

I've substantiated my argument with sales numbers, a comparison to the Resident Evil to REmake sales, and specified the difficulties in developing such a remake without a significant investment on Square's part. I have a reasonable ground to stand on from which one can see exactly why Square would not do a 7 remake in the style of REmake. You have an anecdote about your city newspaper and your personal feeling that 7 was a game that defined its generation. Your observations about 'demand' is not substantiated by numbers; it does not translate into definitive high sales. It does not mark amazing profit for a lot of work. It's nothing on a spreadsheet.

No, you've given some apples to oranges comparisons and drawn very tenuous conclusions about them that are rooted entirely in your own biases.

For starters, the notion that one can draw an A to B comparison between REmake sales and potential FFVII remake sales is a bit silly. First, FFVII outsold Resident Evil by a nearly 2:1 margin on original release, and therefore the potential demand for a remake is not a linear relationship with RE. Second, REmake released on GameCube, a platform whose installed base bears no comparison to that of the PlayStation and whose fandom has been demonstrated to have less of an appetite for third party titles; you can't reasonably compare sales of the two versions.

You also cast a lot of doubt on the popularity and legacy of FFVII and say that my statements about the demand for a remake are all based on personal feelings, but that doesn't hold water, either.

Search the thread history on this very forum, and out of 512 threads that discuss game remakes in general, 53—more than 10%—are about one game: FFVII. Of those, some are about how it can't or shouldn't happen, but the majority express desire or aspiration for it.

While not scientific, a poll of 10,000 Playstation owners conducted in Japan just last month by Sony (http://www.jp.playstation.com/cp/topics/2014120101.html) listed Final Fantasy VII as the second most popular Playstation game of all time (just behind DQV), and the runaway number one most desired game for a remake. In the west, check out "games most in need of a remake" articles on any of the game enthusiast sites, and FFVII is regularly at or near the top. That's just a handful of journalists, but it does reflect the wishes of gamers as a whole.

Hell, type "most requested video game remake" into Google, and the Wikipedia entry for FFVII comes up as the second result. Not even an article about a FFVII remake... just the article for the game. Even Google's search algorithm has caught on to what you have not.

Now, that's just the position of a FFVII remake relative to other remakes, but what about the potential of the game compared with new games? That's the crux of the debate, but the trouble is, we have no really comparable data to go by. We can compare the sales of other remakes vs. their original versions, but as I've shown, that's not often a linear comparison. And most of those remakes were not asked for in nearly the same numbers. When you compare the online requests for a FFVII remake vs. RE, or Kingdom Hearts, or Prince of Persia or God of War or anything else that's already been remade, it's not even close.

In short, it comes down to the question of which way your personal feelings lean. Yours lean in the direction that FFVII is not all that popular and a remake won't sell to the mandated needs of its budget; mine are that it will.

Now, no doubt S-E has studied the business case for a FFVII remake using data we don't have, and come to conclusions to which we are not privy. We can guess that they've decided against it (for the time being) based on their coyness over the issue, but no one outside the company really knows. And even with insider knowledge and numbers, companies still make mistakes with surprising regularity in estimating demand for a product.

There's certainly a lot of remasters and remakes, but the chief distinction between them and FF7 is the absence of the original game development data.

Yes, you're rehashing an old point. We all know it will require the same time, money and resources as a new FF game (though not quite, since pre-development resources like character and environment concepts, world design, and the story and script can be re-used even without any leftover assets). We're beyond that. The question is whether the remake would sell in the same numbers as a new mainline FF in such a way as to justify the required effort. There are no compelling and discrete numbers to prove one way or the other, but you say it won't, and I say that the mountain of readily available anecdotal evidence strongly suggests otherwise.

ConceptX

If anything it's amazing that nearly 20 years later a game can garner this much discussion world wide and continue to be relevant.

Interested to see the new Kitase project, possibly.

Koozek

So judging by Verendus Words, the new Project Kitase is working on is Final Fantasy 7 ?

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...ori-kitase-no-longer-attached-to-the-project/

If they already working on it now, maybe it will come out sooner than expected
Well, technically, he's the producer of Cyber Connect 2's G-Bike currently and oversees their work together with Nomura. I doubt he's at full capacity with that, though, so yeah, either FFXVI, pre-production of FFXVII (in case FFXVI, which Verendus also hinted to, has been worked on long enough already (maybe Ito directing, hehe)), FFX-3 or FFVIIR already. Might be something totally different, who knows^^

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
mr-burns-laughing.gif

This has been me since the announcement, even the pharmacist at work can't stop laughing about it.

Well, technically, he's the producer of Cyber Connect 2's G-Bike currently and oversees their work together with Nomura. I doubt he's at full capacity with that, though, so yeah, either FFXVI, pre-production of FFXVII (in case FFXVI, which Verendus also hinted to, has been worked on long enough already (maybe Ito directing, hehe)), FFX-3 or FFVIIR already. Might be something totally different, who knows^^

i remember kitase saying, that they are working on a secret project, they cant talk about now.

Also there was a picture with kitase, toriyama and antoher guy who was cut out of the picture --> because that would reveal the game.

Im not sure anybody but i try to find the source.

Edit: My mistake. it was a picture of Hashimoto http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/054/475/538ef43499fee.html

Also Ito is in the final fantasy commitee

Naoki Yoshida: The FF Committee was created to ensure that the FF series stays on track and each important FF director knows what the others are doing. Personally, it's a tremendous honour for me to be part of it, as I get to discuss with people I greatly admire, such as Yoshinori Kitase and Hiroyuki Ito.

And i doubt he is jus there for nothing.

So My gues:

Ito = FF16
Kitase = Pre Production of FF7 and small projects

Ferrio

Banned
I think FF7R with happen sometime, don't know when but it will. They won't lose money on it.

They're not going to pull that card unless it looks like the company will go under IMO.

It's their last trump card, they're not going to use it until they have to.

What are people wishing for, a modern looking FF7 that retains the original gameplay, or a whole new game that answers "what if FF7 was originally made today?" Or something in the middle?

Spwn

What are people wishing for, a modern looking FF7 that retains the original gameplay, or a whole new game that answers "what if FF7 was originally made today?" Or something in the middle?

I guess there are people in all of those camps, which means if FF7R was ever made, there would be a lot displeased people anyway.

muteki

I could understand the skepticism if people are expecting the latter.

I would be happy with the former, but I feel SE doesn't think that would sell.

AgeEighty

They're not going to pull that card unless it looks like the company will go under IMO.

And if the company keeps on trucking along, not needing a "trump card"? How long do they wait?

I mean, alternatively, they could produce a remake in the near future, and then make better FF games in the future, thereby obviating the need for any Hail Mary games.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Modern(ish) looking FFVII with original gameplay.

I would absolutely detest a FFVII with a battle system from XIII. I fucking hated XIII.

A FFVII remake needs to retain Materia. It needs to retain turn-based battles. The only acceptable change would be to minimize loading, especially loading a battle by getting rid of the snowy zoom-in effect the game does until it loads the battleground background.

Now that I've had the chance to process this,I think I'd be fine with a less blurry FF7 I can earn trophies on. Verendus' posts about there being an actual big FF7 project somewhere on the horizon has me hopeful though.

If it ever does get remade I hope it's a full blown remake with a FFXV style over world, but keeping the turn based game play. I'd be totally fine with a remake that keeps it in the fixed angle perspective however. I just want to see the game with a fresh coat of paint lol

I would like original gameplay with updated graphics and sounds. Not sure if I want new music though. I loved the combat system and don't want to see it changed.

It's guaranteed money but they are probably weary on how much they get on return.

I'm tempted to know how much they will get if they began a Kickstarter for it...

1.Graphics: Complete overhaul of the graphics. FF7 graphics are outdatet. Work with the Luminous Engine

2.Character Design: i Think Advent Children already indicates, in which direction the character design of a Remake would go.

3.Music: Record the whole Soundtracks again.

4.Open World: i dont think that classical Map from FF7 (ala Ni No Kuni) would fit into a Big Budget FF Game.
--> Make it like FF15, Open World, forms of transportation.

5.Battle System:
This will be the biggest task imo and especially old fans will be sensitive about this.
Important is to keep the Party involved in the Battle System.
Barret, Tifa, Aertih, Red XIII ---> all of them should be playable
Maybe make a more modern and faster Version of the FFX turn based combat

No Action Game plz.

6.Humour, Charme, Emotions.

Many People say an HD FF7 would totally loose its charm and also the comedy scenes would look akward.
Maybe in the End the game will lose some of its humour, but you shouldnt forget, that there other aspect who will profit from it.

Emotions, Story, Atmosphere, Dialogs. The Story in General will be much more credible,exciting and more emotional.

Just imagine the Aerith Scene in Luminous Engine.

in terms of humour, just put the humour in other scenes or change the situatuon, so that it doesn look akward anymore,

Instead of Cloud, it could be Barret who crossdresses as a Woman.

I just saw an article that said someone on neogaf posted that FFX remastered is also coming to ps4? Where's the thread where that information came from?

Barrage

At this point, I would completely accept it if they decided to Hobbitify FF7- Release it as 2 (or 3) games, move this from Disc 1 onto 2,etc.etc. Obviously certain fannboys would complain about having to buy the game twice(ignoring the added costs of voice acting, and a Next-Gen World Map, etc. etc.) but at the end of the day they'd buy it. It's been seventeen years-people have too much invested not to try it.

And also that way, Square gets to have it's cake and eat it too, since getting the sales of FF7 three times in one generation would be a huge windfall (even if each iteration would likely sell a little less).

And if it takes a little bullshit, do that too. Give everyone new costumes, then charge DLC for the originalsif that makes you happy. But I do think-if they split the game up-FF7 could be done this generation.

What are the odds that this PS4 fixes the open mouths on NPCs? When I looked it up on Steam people said it was still a problem in that version.

JordanN

Banned

Unless they get another company to pay for it (who would invest in a dying company?), I don't thinks that makes business sense.

"Hey guys, we're finally starting the FF7 remake. Ignore that we're filing for bankruptcy and don't actually have any money to make it now".

Saving it as a trump card would only makes sense if they already finished development for it but have it locked up in a warehouse somewhere. Starting development when you're facing closure = dead project.

You know... I think this whole thing might've been worth it just to see Verendus drop those bombs.

If SE is going to be doing a 'saga' of sorts with the FFVII remake, then the odds of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus remasters is very high... which makes me an extremely happy camper! Owning a remake/remaster of the entire FFVII collection would be a dream come true.

Please don't break my heart Verendus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom