• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamauchi

Banned
I don't actually think the modern Square-Enix is capable of a quality FF7 HD remake. To be blunt, I was not terribly impressed with the FF DS remakes.

There are more serious problems, though, first of which would be (regrettably) the modern RPG gamer's growing disdain for traditional turn-based battle systems. And based again on Square-Enix's recent performance, a FF7 with a remade battle system would be a disaster in my opinion.

Natheren

I seriously wish Square would give Advent Children graphics thing a break and just lower the budget a bit so games don't take a whole console gen to make and then ending up having to reuse things in multiple sequels just to get the money's worth.

XJF

This was so funny that I'm not even mad any more. There's no way it was anything other than deliberate. Anyways, I'm just happy to have a copy of the game with trophies now. Although I believe this is leading to something eventually. It's almost certainly not the remake we want, but sequel or spin-off is inevitable. Either way, count me in.

With it being Spring 2015, and with Type-0 hitting in March, it's reasonable to think we won't see this until April or May?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'd love to see an HD port of Crisis Core. That game was absolutely incredible. Probably my favorite handheld game ever.

flyover

Having never played any action games like God of War or Devil May Cry before I played Dirge of Cerberus I had nothing to compare it to. I found it serviceable for a $20 ex-rental purchase.

Yeah. I'd never played a third-person shooter before, and it was a very gentle (if not outright remedial) introduction to the genre. I enjoyed it, though my memory of the whole thing is pretty fuzzy now. I do remember that all the cool, acrobatic stuff Vincent does in the game only happens in cutscenes. During actual gameplay, he's glued to the ground and can't jump over a tin can.

As with anything FF VII that's not FF VII itself, I ignore the story and just consider it officially sanctioned fan fiction, so I'm fine with that part of it.

Einhander

Weren't there ambitions in creating 3DS remakes of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI? I forgot which developer it was who said as much, but it was during an interview. I'd rather they give those the remake treatment for now. Those are much more realistic propositions.

Skeletron

I'm not a fan of remakes. Why is it necessary to "update" old games by replacing original art and game assets with new material. It seems disrespectful to the original artists and designers whose work is being replaced or altered.

I'm not a fan of remakes. Why is it necessary to "update" old games by replacing original art and game assets with new material. It seems disrespectful to the original artists and designers whose work is being replaced or altered.

Because Resident Evil Remake was like the most amazing thing ever made

Jesus christ, people actually liked Dirge of Cerberus?

Well, if you don't focus on comparing it too much to the output of western shooters by devs that dedicate themselves 100% to shooters, I'd say it was an alright game. Not quite a game I'd go shouting to the rooftops about like Valkyria Chronicles or Planetside, but alright.

That, and I suppose it's notable for (IIRC) being MonolithSoft's last game as a 3rd party studio.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It deserves and needs one. It's a great game.

And man, that story.

It's not terrible. Some of it is even pleasant.

Thinking about this...ummm I just realized Crisis Core has A LOT of redesigned assets from the FFVII universe updated, characters most importantly. Zack. Cloud. Sephiroth. All sorts of NPCs like Shinra soldiers, Tseng, Reno, Rude, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, towns people, etc. We have Midgar half-way built, and Nibelheim.

I don't think any other towns between the two games were crossed, though. Still, it's a great start to build off of just to appease fans.

So is there any chance of the HD Remaster occurring now that they've announced this crap.

Seems like as if this was there was to officially destroy the Remake hype and kill the movement to see it redone.

SOLDIER

I've been discussing with other people over the idea of giving Tifa her own single character action game.

I really like the idea, even if that's half because she's my favorite female FF character. I think a Tifa game by Cyberconnect (or heck, Platinum) that incorporates more refined (ie good) concepts from Lightning Returns would be real interesting. Give her customizable martial arts abilities and clothing that could be both fanservice but also appropriate to the character (like Sabin or Prishe, and even Aerith just so she can do some cool staff moves with her staff).

I'm imagining something that's kind of a mix between Bayonetta and Revengeance, with the amount of crazy dialed down a few appropriate notches.

With Verandus sharing some anecdotal posts I'm really wondering if Square has ever considered this.

I've been discussing with other people over the idea of giving Tifa her own single character action game.

I really like the idea, even if that's half because she's my favorite female FF character. I think a Tifa game by Cyberconnect (or heck, Platinum) that incorporates more refined (ie good) concepts from Lightning Returns would be real interesting. Give her customizable martial arts abilities and clothing that could be both fanservice but also appropriate to the character (like Sabin or Prishe, and even Aerith just so she can do some cool staff moves with her staff).

I'm imagining something that's kind of a mix between Bayonetta and Revengeance, with the amount of crazy dialed down a few appropriate notches.

With Verandus sharing some anecdotal posts I'm really wondering if Square has ever considered this.

This Sounds fantastic...I also think shes one of the few FF7 Characters, that is popular enough, to have her own game.

SOLDIER

This Sounds fantastic...I also think shes one of the few FF7 Characters, that is popular enough, to have her own game.

I also think her personality lends well to create a story that is more lighthearted than previous games, but not too lighthearted that it becomes silly (FFX-2).

It would just be a really cool thing to watch visually (like the Dead Fantasy videos...she uses Drunken stance in one of them!).

I too would totally be up for a Tifa action game like this, I love her character.

And I agree she's one that could hold up her own title.

SOLDIER

I too would totally be up for a Tifa action game like this, I love her character.

And I agree she's one that could hold up her own title.

Add in some AI support characters like Yuffie and mini-games like teaching Marlene martial arts and oh my god Square why won't you make this???

I also think her personality lends well to create a story that is more lighthearted than previous games, but not too lighthearted that it becomes silly (FFX-2).

It would just be a really cool thing to watch visually (like the Dead Fantasy videos...she uses Drunken stance in one of them!).

i mean her combat in Avent Children looked great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfMCJw-ixa0

So i also fully agree with your combat idea.

As long as its not directed by Toriyama (who would sexualize her) i would buy such a game DAY 1...

Koozek

So is there any chance of the HD Remaster occurring now that they've announced this crap.

Seems like as if this was there was to officially destroy the Remake hype and kill the movement to see it redone.

Well, there still seems to be hope for a proper remake in a few years, see this post by Verendus:

And no, this isn't what I referred to a year ago. I think that should be apparent considering what I've said in the past, but let's clarify here for the last time. Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know. And to be fair, I don't really care about the extra stuff whatever that ends up being since I don't exactly think the original Compilation was any good. I imagine Nomura needs to be freed up before they start making any real progress with some of this stuff, although he's no stranger to juggling various works. But considering he's busy with KH3 at the moment, that's why my best guess in regards to the development timeline would be for this to kick into gear sometime after KH3 is completed. I have mentioned this point before. This last part is my assumption though. Kitase and him are basically the key people for it all.

This is obviously ignoring the massive elephant in the room, but either way, FFXV and KH3 come first since they're the priority projects at the moment. After that is when any substantial work will begin to happen with the other stuff.

the only reason i would ever want an ff7 "remake" (and i really, really don't) would be to crawl the sector 7 slums again.

I want to watch that Aerith Scene in Luminous Engine or how Sepritoh is
burning down the village
, or go visit Gold Saucer in HD....or...or...or....Its too much.

I need that Remake or Sequel. I just want to go back to that universe

"Not Directed by Toriyama" is a feature they should list in the box.

I can already see him giving tifa a cat costume.

I want to watch that Aerith Scene in Luminous Engine or how Sepritoh is
burning down the village
, or go visit Gold Saucer in HD....or...or...or....Its too much.

I need that Remake or Sequel. I just want to go back to that universe

I can already see him giving tifa a cat costume.

Dude I just want something like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8z9ruLhYw
Is it so hard to make eventhough there already exists the assets made from mods, dammit SE do it now!!!!!

Dude I just want something like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA8z9ruLhYw
Is it so hard to make eventhough there already exists the assets made from mods, dammit SE do it now!!!!!

giphy.gif

Ferrio

Banned
Unless they get another company to pay for it (who would invest in a dying company?), I don't thinks that makes business sense.

"Hey guys, we're finally starting the FF7 remake. Ignore that we're filing for bankruptcy and don't actually have any money to make it now".

Saving it as a trump card would only makes sense if they already finished development for it but have it locked up in a warehouse somewhere. Starting development when you're facing closure = dead project.

Well it'd be the same story as final fantasy 1. They were going under, they had enough for one more game, if it was a failure they were done for. Turns out it wasn't, and the series became a juggernaut. They might have to use it to bail themselves out once again.

Lemondish

I seriously wish Square would give Advent Children graphics thing a break and just lower the budget a bit so games don't take a whole console gen to make and then ending up having to reuse things in multiple sequels just to get the money's worth.

Well, they could absolutely reuse those things in multiple sequels. That world is fun and cool enough to explore for quite some time.

BONKERS

I don't know how many times i've said this. But they could easily tackle a FFVII remake ala Etrian Odyssey 1 remake.

Remake mode, classic mode. (Integrate new scenes in both to help flesh out more parts of the story).

Both are rendered in real time in 3D, but how they play and are viewed are different.

==Classic Mode=
--Game is played from a camera perspective like the old game, but of course expanded to flow more naturally and made to work with 16:9, so FOV is slightly higher horizontally, with real time graphics, no problems with dealing with crap like REmake:HD. Camera angles in battles are the same too as well angles from scenes that were originally CG/FMVs, the camera could smoothly pan from current gameplay camera location to these and it could work that way. (MGS4 did this as an example) So original FMVs could be replicated in real time.
--Character maneuvers from the camera point
--Text/story are presented in classic blue bubbles (Extended to maybe also have portraits), so story sequences are also played from old perspective.
--Animations in these sequences are somewhat like original but smoother, more realistic.
-Toggleable voice acting, when Voices are enabled text can no longer be skipped so the flow of conversation isn't broken. But can be paused or skipped entirely. Text and animations sync to the flow of conversation.
--Battles are done with classic transition to maybe separate battle plane/field​
--Stereo Sound (Just because the camera is often fixed. Or maybe limited surround. Different sound scripting and setup for both modes could potentially be a problem)

==Remake Mode==
--Game is played from character perspective ala Final Fantasy X,X-2,XII,XIII,etc.
--Animations are more momentum based and realistic
--Main story scenes are cutscenes in real time now with more realistic animation, including character clothing/gear carrying over from what they are currently equipped with to a degree. Also includes subtitles, 2:35:1 AR in story scenes or 16:9 whichever works best.
--Cutscenes are able to be paused, skipped when voice acting is enabled, everything in the scene is synced to the voice acting.
--If voice acting is disabled, give 2 options | 1. Scene flow is tied to classic blue text bubbles without portraits, cutscene camera angles, animations are same; text bubbles pop up near person speaking; and animations/event initiation are tied to when text bubbles are signaled as *read* by hitting x.|2. Same as with voice acting, just without it and automatically proceeding text bubbles or subtitles. Some peeps dun like the idea of FFVII with VAs that they didn't imagine in their head.
--With previous FMV CG sequences, do the same as in classic mode, though from chara perspective instead of cam.
--Surround Sound (See Stereo note above)
--Battles are done similar to FFXIII, there is the classic transition, but then it just moves to the same spot in the world for the battle to take place.​

==Things available to both==
--Toggleable soundtracks, Original PS1 soundtrack (No PC MIDI version. Is turrible. Even though the PS1 OST is based and sequenced with MIDI anyway) | Remake soundtrack, full blown 100% effort driven to get as close to 1:1 as original with needed real instruments and synthesizers. Don't half ass this like you normally do SE. Actually give a full blown budget for the music. It deserves it.
--Portraits in party menu. High res original portraits, real time graphics based or CG portraits, or modern done hand drawn portraits.
--Standard options for things like Active/Wait, battle speed,etc.
--Vastly expanded story and improved localization. It'd be nice to have more threads to tie the story together properly with more information and exposition, since we will never get stuff like Before Crisis.
--Mode specific optimization passes based on different camera angles and needs. (Ex: Culling in Chara camera vs Cam Camera)
---The game and battle mechanics NEED to stay the SAME. (This last one is important because it doesn't need to be changed.)

==Extras included in package or say "Premium Edition"==
--Ports of Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus in high resolution with redrawn 2D UI assets,etc,decent AA and a stable framerate. Preferrably switch for 30/60FPS based on preferences. Higher resolution FMVs,not just upscaled ones.
--Art Gallery
--Advent Children Complete,etc
--Story/World Encyclopedia that can potentially unlock as you proceed in the game (Ala MGS4 Database/?)
--Documentaries, interviews of as many staff involved in new and original productions.
--"Making Of-"
--Sound Test for both soundtracks

==Tackling The World Map==
--Could be done in a number of ways. Do it the original way, with simple area transitions.
Or​​​

--Stream Data (Which could potentially be a problem given the scope of the world)

Both of course would have compasses and maps

As far as the view goes, in Classic Mode, keep the same old overhead angle tilted slightly, but with say the potential density/quality of XV (Of course optimized for this mode). Maybe even give it a skewed view for character/harkening back to the original. IE: Give the world a somewhat rounded view on the horizon

In Remake mode, with Chara Cam, do it similar to XV but on a different scale , IE: World doesn't have to have a 1:1 ratio of the actual physical distance as it would in XV.
Because honestly, going only one way or the other will ALWAYS upset one subset of the fanbase. So by having both, it provides different ways to play the game and gives both crowds what they want. No matter how they remake though, it will be bought by the truckload. Which is why they should do it RIGHT.

The above for example is a LOT of stuff, REALLY A METRIC SHIT TON OF STUFF THAT WOULD REQUIRE A LOT OF WORK, but this game given it's reputation and apparent "Legendary sales status" at Square Enix would think that they would literally go all out for this right?

Oh look, it's this thread again. I'll use this post as another opportunity to revel in the joyous occasion that was Final Fantasy VII being announced for the PS4. No bitterness or resentment involved. Nope, none at all.

liquidtmd

Banned
Bitterness aside, I'll probably bite on this.

I had a 360 last gen so missed it on PSN and haven't played it in many years. Wish S-E would now nail down a date and suprise us with some nice upgraded con....ok, I kid, just the release date S-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom