• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Announced For PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasp

I hope they at the very least give us upgraded character models like seen in countless PC mods like this one:

cd3a1b015uu.jpg

Plus a fully orchestrated soundtrack would be great too.

Of course in reality the biggest expense Square Enix will have spent on this PC port is Shinji Hashimoto's plane ticket to Las Vegas.

koutoru

I still don't understand what happened here. There must have either been some major miscommunication about this between SE and Sony, or they both just wanted to troll their fans.

It doesn't make sense for SE to fly Hashimoto all the way to Las Vegas to announce a port of a port for PS4 and it doesn't make sense for Sony to even let them on stage for this.

Furthermore, I found it funny when Sony basically neglected to mention the Final Fantasy VII port in their post release coverage of the event.

For a forum that hates on melodramatic games you guys certainly are making a lot of drama months after the announcement.

Either way, I doubt we'll hear more about this anytime soon (and most definitely not in any gaming convention).

I hope they at the very least give us upgraded character models like seen in countless PC mods like this one:

This looks so bad.

Dali

Of course in reality the biggest expense Square Enix will have spent on this PC port is Shinji Hashimoto's plane ticket to Las Vegas.
Those are just the battle models as opposed to the chibi field and cut scene models.

Wasp

Those are just the battle models as opposed to the chibi field and cut scene models.
Well that's still a big improvement from the ultra low polygon field models.

I would be happy with battle models used on the field screens, anything more detailed would stick out like a sore thumb compared to all the other NPCs. Unless they upgrade every NPC in the game, of which there are probably hundreds.

Turin

Banned
Look, regardless of how they do a remake, someone's gonna be pissed off about something.

Everyone has their own idea about how the remake should be done.

Well that's still a big improvement from the ultra low polygon field models.

I would be happy with battle models used on the field screens, anything more detailed would stick out like a sore thumb compared to all the other NPCs. Unless they upgrade every NPC in the game, of which there are probably hundreds.

With how much they are charging for this they could have at least given us Crisis Core/Dirge of Cerberus/Dissidia models.

Shin-Ra

Barret's so small.

If they remake FFVII you know they'll try to integrate all the Loveless shit from Crisis Core.

jackal27

Banned
This was the most Square Enix thing that Square Enix ever did. Just when I thought they couldn't outdo themselves, they went and did this.

Look, regardless of how they do a remake, someone's gonna be pissed off about something.

Everyone has their own idea about how the remake should be done.

If they go for the full XV-level remake, then just give options to either have locked camera angles and random encounters + tweaked original battle system, or the new camera with action battles and wtv. And give options to disable VA.

That would cover pretty much everyone's expectations.

You know, despite the immense troll that this was, I'm still most likely going to give them my money lol. I haven't played FFVII in years.

Getting a FFVII platinum is mighty tempting. I'll probably just wait until it goes on sale though. No point buying an overpriced super old game when there's a ton of incredible looking new games coming out this year.

I wonder when they'll announce FFVIII. I'm sure they want to rush these out, before there's any chance of PS1 emulation coming to PS4.

mattp

you will be getting none of those things
i mean come on, you know that right?

Shin-Ra

Not only do the characters' proportions look strange in relation to each other but they're all at least twice as big as they should be relative to the environment in that Northern Crater shot.

Acrylic7

Still the funniest thing ever to come from a presentation.

I like that shot they show after the trailers over. No one in the crowd is happy. Not a single damn person. It was even funnier if you watched it live like me.

Turin

Banned
If they go for the full XV-level remake, then just give options to either have locked camera angles and random encounters + tweaked original battle system, or the new camera with action battles and wtv. And give options to disable VA.

That would cover pretty much everyone's expectations.

Yeah, the combat is a big thing. I can understand why someone might want them to go back to turn based. Personally, I'd rather they build on the XV combat they've worked so hard on.

Anyway, I think it's more reasonable to expect it to be somewhat of a reimagining rather than just a remake.

Shin-Ra

If SE also sold a retail Blu-ray in regular and collector's editions, it'd probably sell better than Type-0.

Yeah, the combat is a big thing. I can understand why someone might want them to go back to turn based. Personally, I'd rather they build on the XV combat they've worked so hard on.

Anyway, I think it's more reasonable to expect it to be somewhat of a reimagining than just a remake.

XV barely has a combat system though. I was just using it as an example of how big the remake would be. I personally think that if they go the Action route (which they probably will), they should do something like a AAA version of Type-0's combat, since that would allow for everyone to be playable.

And idk, they could reimagine without changing the story, I don't think people would complain about that (I doubt that many even would remember so much of the game if the main plot is still the same).

Turin

Banned
XV barely has a combat system though. I was just using it as an example of how big the remake would be. I personally think that if they go the Action route (which they probably will), they should do something like a AAA version of Type-0's combat, since that would allow for everyone to be playable.

And idk, they could reimagine without changing the story, I don't think people would complain about that (I doubt that many even would remember so much of the game if the main plot is still the same).

Hmmmmmmmm. I guess that would be a trade off. I'd love to run around as Cloud with fluid control on how I fight but then other characters might not be playable.....

And yeah, I thought keeping the story the same was a given. It's stuck around this long in the hearts of so many people. Changing it would be foolish. Maybe adding some scenes would be welcome..... but just as long as Genesis and that other shit never existed.....

Hmmmmmmmm. I guess that would be a trade off. I'd love to run around as Cloud with fluid control on how I fight but then other characters might not be playable.....

And yeah, I thought keeping the story the same was a given. It's stuck around this long in the hearts of so many people. Changing it would be foolish. Maybe adding some scenes would be welcome..... but just as long as Genesis and that other shit never existed.....
I'm fine with Genesis existing as long as they take off that after credits scene from DoC =P

Actually, no, I wish they don't keep Genesis. Keep Gackt far away from this game =X

The most upsetting revelation of this thread
Ey man, that last level was alright.

It was a pretty bad game.

Scrawnton

If SE also sold a retail Blu-ray in regular and collector's editions, it'd probably sell better than Type-0.

to be honest, id buy a blu-ray edition of this game if it came with advent children and a historical documentary of this game.

I missed the discussion at the time, but what does this mean for PSX classics on PS4? Kind of a weird situation.

I have completely given up hope on PSX classics appearing on ps4 natively. It'll be some PSNow b.s.

androvsky

I missed the discussion at the time, but what does this mean for PSX classics on PS4? Kind of a weird situation.
It's a good question, and as far as I know, no one in the game press has asked anyone from Sony on the record. Sony's volunteered some tidbits when asked about PS Now or PS3 bc, but no one's actually asked them about local emulation for PS1/2 afaik.

I'm tempted to start a thread since I don't have time to follow the news very closely anymore. Yes, I know people are assuming PS Now, but Sony's said that local emulation makes a lot of sense for the PS4.

Einhander

It still stings. The most embarrassing part about that stage presentation was that - at least from Sony's perspective - it's supposed to display the graphical power of the PS4. Announcing a 32-bit game port on your new console doesn't attract massive attention to it. I mean, whatever, Square Enix gonna Square Enix, but Sony should have known better than to allow them to get up there and do that.

I have completely given up hope on PSX classics appearing on ps4 natively. It'll be some PSNow b.s.

It's a good question, and as far as I know, no one in the game press has asked anyone from Sony on the record. Sony's volunteered some tidbits when asked about PS Now or PS3 bc, but no one's actually asked them about local emulation for PS1/2 afaik.

I'm tempted to start a thread since I don't have time to follow the news very closely anymore. Yes, I know people are assuming PS Now, but Sony's said that local emulation makes a lot of sense for the PS4.
PSNow will be a good solution for a certain market and for PS3 BC, but I really hope Sony won't see it as a solution for everything. It's a worse experience for the player and a waste of resources at the same time. Not to mention that ist is simply impossible in certain regions. Native PSX and PS2 emulation on PS4 needs to happen and that we're not hearing anything combined with a separate re-release of FF VII (which really adds nothing outside of trophies) is troubling.

We've had several threads about it already. It's just a bunch of people saying "PSNow" vs a bunch of people saying "that's a waste of bandwidth and the emulator already exists." And no news or word from Sony at all. Very depressing. Meantime, I just don't plan on retiring my PS3.

androvsky

We've had several threads about it already. It's just a bunch of people saying "PSNow" vs a bunch of people saying "that's a waste of bandwidth and the emulator already exists." And no news or word from Sony at all. Very depressing. Meantime, I just don't plan on retiring my PS3.
I know, I've probably posted in all of them. What I'm curious about is more of a "journalism" issue. Even not expecting much out of enthusiast press, and not expecting much out of Sony, I still think it seems like a question that would be asked of Sony at some point since the PS4 was announced. afaik, it hasn't. I'd like to see how they respond to the question.

I'd go for the not retiring my PS3 option, but my BC unit died years ago, and PS2 classics lineup doesn't come close to covering what I have.

Son Of D

PS Now and people putting them up as "remastered" (AKA based on PC version if one exists). Expect SE to put FFVIII up soon. And maybe some of the Eidos games from that era that got PC releases.

antitrop

Have they seriously not even announced a date, yet?

How much work would really have to go into a port like this? Valkyria Chronicles was ported from PS3 to PC by a 4 person team, but Square can't get a remastered PC port of a 17 year old game onto the PS4 in a timely manner?

Square continually making me regret that Final Fantasy VII became my favorite game ever made, how fucking sad. They've spent the entire last decade making me regret it.

Have they seriously not even announced a date, yet?

How much work would really have to go into a port like this? Valkyria Chronicles was ported from PS3 to PC by a 4 person team, but Square can't get a remastered PC port of a 17 year old game onto the PS4 in a timely manner?

Square continually making me regret that Final Fantasy VII became my favorite game ever made, how fucking sad. They've spent the entire last decade making me regret it.

They've said spring 2015, they just haven't given a specific date, and probably won't until Type-0 comes out.

This thread has taught me that people are way too reactionary regarding thread titles. I take any piece of information that has been boiled down to 15 words with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom