• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Lucky Chloe revealed

After a robotic soldier, two robotic soldiers, a robotic ninja, a robotic robot, a panda, a bear, a kangaroo, a dinosaur, two dinosaurs, a breakdancing handicapped doctor, a vampire, an angel, a devil, a demon, two demons, several demons, a bunch of walking wood chunks...

...that's where Tekken fans draw the line? A catgirl?

o_O

No, a fake cat girl.

After a robotic soldier, two robotic soldiers, a robotic ninja, a robotic robot, a panda, a bear, a kangaroo, a dinosaur, two dinosaurs, a breakdancing handicapped doctor, a vampire, an angel, a devil, a demon, two demons, several demons, a bunch of walking wood chunks...

...that's where Tekken fans draw the line? A catgirl?

o_O

Most of those characters are cool/funny.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Well, some of them relied on tropes, I'll give you that, but they certainly weren't conventional (except Law and Lei), and they weren't designed to be 'serious'. You could tell the team was just having fun and designing stuff that would make them laugh.

Jack was the Terminator, Kazuya was Ryu crossed with Sagat, Jin is Ryu, most of the characters were pulled from movies or were pro wrestlers (King, Paul) etc.

None of them were especially fresh. In fact they were more appealing because they evoked those movies etc.

A-V-B

I would totally like Chloe if she happened to be some kind of total monster in disguise, though. That would be insanely cool. Moeblob as eldritch.

Neiteio

Made these because of course I would.

lctk02ooj7d.gif

lctk03gzklf.gif

lctk05xdk9q.gif
I think she looks fine. Wish her face was a bit more expressive, though.

Guess I just imagined Jin existing from 3 on then, and I mean Kazuya never brooded, no siree, you know if you have to make up shit to support your point maybe it isnt such a great point after all? Are people simply too self conscious and insecure to admit they simply dont like Chloe without constructing "ITS ALL CHANGED!" bullshit out of whole cloth?

I'll give you that Jin was the genesis of the serious emo guy in Tekken. I try to forget about him, but you're right. The salt was strong when he appeared in Tekken 3, especially since they got rid of Jun and gave him a few of her moves. We may differ on this, but I never found Kaz to be a "pretty emo boy" like Jin or Lars is. He was just a badass full of hatred and a desire for revenge, and played his role in the Mishima soap opera.

I'm not "making up shit" to prove a point, I just feel that Tekken doesn't have the same level of creativity it used to and has introduced characters who appeal to certain niche audiences. They could make any kind of character they wanted to, but settled on a moe cat girl. How about a tough Indian girl from the streets of Mumbai who decides to enter the Tournament to get her family out of the slums? Or a girl from Mogadishu who started a local dojo to teach women to defend themselves? Just off the top of my head. But instead we got a cat girl whose fighting style is borrowed from three other characters. That's Harada's choice (or maybe it's a Namco directive), but doesn't mean I have to like Chloe.

Neiteio

I'm totally jumping in at the end of this convo, and I'm not even a Tekken fan, but looking at the new character, she has modest proportions, an easy-on-the-eyes color scheme (black, white and pink), a distinctive silhouette due to the "cat sleeves," and she's not really revealing or anything. That all seems rather... approachable, I would think. Is it the personality that's turning people off? Because yeah, she's clearly crazy, but this is a game where you can play as a bear, a kangaroo, etc., so...

I'm totally jumping in at the end of this convo, and I'm not even a Tekken fan, but looking at the new character, she has modest proportions, an easy-on-the-eyes color scheme (black, white and pink), a distinctive silhouette due to the "cat sleeves," and she's not really revealing or anything. That all seems rather... approachable, I would think. Is it the personality that's turning people off? Because yeah, she's clearly crazy, but this is a game where you can play as a bear, a kangaroo, etc., so...

I think it's more that she looks like an kitbash of Marie Rose and a Vocaloid.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm not talking about the male portion of the cast here. They have their own problems. I don't like Lucky Chloe, but that doesn't mean I want a dude in her place, I just think that the female roster has much more room for expansion in directions other than where Lucky Chloe takes it.

Oh definitely, but she's definitely inoffensive as things go.

Uthred

Most of those characters are cool/funny.

Hardly an objective judgement

I'll give you that Jin was the genesis of the serious emo guy in Tekken. I try to forget about him, but you're right. The salt was strong when he appeared in Tekken 3, especially since they got rid of Jun and gave him a few of her moves. We may differ on this, but I never found Kaz to be a "pretty emo boy" like Jin or Lars is. He was just a badass full of hatred and a desire for revenge, and played his role in the Mishima soap opera.

I'm not "making up shit" to prove a point, I just feel that Tekken doesn't have the same level of creativity it used to and has introduced characters who appeal to certain niche audiences. They could make any kind of character they wanted to, but settled on a moe cat girl. How about a tough Indian girl from the streets of Mumbai who decides to enter the Tournament to get her family out of the slums? Or a girl from Mogadishu who started a local dojo to teach women to defend themselves? Just off the top of my head. But instead we got a cat girl whose fighting style is borrowed from three other characters. That's Harada's choice (or maybe it's a Namco directive), but doesn't mean I have to like Chloe.

My point was that Kaz was brooding not an emo boy, as for making shit up, arbitratily decrying T5 as the start of the rot, in this case "emo designs" and brooding, etc. is indeed making shit up. I think Tekken has always made any kind of character they wanted and theyve always appealed to niche audiences, its just that this one doesnt appeal. As for your comments about what the character could have been, how do you know she isnt? We have a few seconds, all we basically know is what she looks like and a few of her moves, what if she has an amazing backstory about overcoming adversity and supporting, say, an orphanage (a Tekken staple) by becoming a fighting idol? You're talking about judging a character on their backstory while condeming a character purely on their looks, someting of a double standard?

I totally agree that neither you nor anyone else has to like Chloe, I dont like her either, but declaring her some great departure seems disingenuous at best, outright self-delusion at worst.

My point was that Kaz was brooding not an emo boy, as for making shit up, arbitratily decrying T5 as the start of the rot, in this case "emo designs" and brooding, etc. is indeed making shit up. I think Tekken has always made any kind of character they wanted and theyve always appealed to niche audiences, its just that this one doesnt appeal. As for your comments about what the character could have been, how do you know she isnt? We have a few seconds, all we basically know is what she looks like and a few of her moves, what if she has an amazing backstory about overcoming adversity and supporting, say, an orphanage (a Tekken staple) by becoming a fighting idol? You're talking about judging a character on their backstory while condeming a character purely on their looks, someting of a double standard?

Fair points, though I think Tekken already has a fair share of Japanese characters and could use more diversity from countries that have no representation. Anyway, I wasn't judging Chloe on whatever her backstory is, but the level of pandering her design makes obvious, and the complete lack of creativity. Hopefully she's an unlockable and not part of the permanent roster, which is likely due to her aping other characters' moves.

If my points about Tekken's direction aren't crystal clear, it's because discussing something like the "tone" of a fighting game series and how it has changed over time is sort of a subjective thing that's measured in qualitative and not quantitative terms. So, apologies if my points aren't coming across. I'm trying to figure it out as well.

oh, she isn't japanese ? I was crepped out by her werid face (uncanny valley hello) but she's a western girl dressing and doing these japanese idol mimic and sounds ?

Yup, that's exactly what she is according to Harada.

By the way for those who follow seiyuu she is voiced by Kanemoto Hisako (probably best known for Ika Musume).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I totally missed this thread. I'm totally maining her and dispensing salt online to my hearts content. Thank you Harada!

IvorB

Because the attempt to give rationale against the character only makes them look stupid and irrational. They'd actually sound better if they say "I don't like Chloe". They do not need to go in a tirade about "downward spiral" of design because it'll only give them terrible arguments to use, which actually lead to "lizards, kangaroos, robots".

I don't even care about her and I generally don't like idols, but I just shrug rather than make myself look stupid.

I dunno. Saying: "well we've had lizards, robots and kangaroos before so this is okay" isn't such a hot argument either.

The "pro-Chloe lobby"? Seriously? You people love making mountains out of mole hills. The funny thing is you're bringing the most attention to this character with all this faux outrage. It's like free advertisment. Reminds me of people trying to condenm certain games/music/whatever and they end up making it even more popular by drawing so much attention to it.

Wait... who are "you people" and what "faux outrage"? Did you quote the wrong post?

Lethe82

Banned
Looking at her, she's actually better designed (aesthetically, fashion wise) than a lot of Tekken characters (Tekken has some god awful ugly designs out there). Hopefully she does come out.

Holykael1

Banned
I don't know how to screencap tweets but this one is hilarious:

"Alright, I'll consider. But We are considering "Muscular-Skinhead Chloe" too. How about? RT@N3V3RFOLLOW Sister wants to play as Lucky Chloe."

It would be amazing if they made an alt skin for the character like that.

I just think she looks bad in a game that already has a stale artstyle.

Speaking of just her character, I don't mind her. If she was T7's mimic character because of her cosplayer-esque look/personality, that would make her even better.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't know how to screencap tweets but this one is hilarious:

"Alright, I'll consider. But We are considering "Muscular-Skinhead Chloe" too. How about? RT@N3V3RFOLLOW Sister wants to play as Lucky Chloe."

It would be amazing if they made an alt skin for the character like that.

Cool. I asked Harada for just that via Twitter.

Does a character really need a person with cat ears and cat paws to have a distinctive silhouette? It's so fucking lazy

I'd rather have a bipedal lion

The funny part is that I originally didn't care much for this character but now after all this shitstorm I think I'm warming up to her.
I wonder if she replaces Eddie and Christie.... Lol thatwould pprobably piss more people off

Their story was basically done anyway. No big loss. :p
I think their could be problems if that happens. Getting rid of two of your most popular colored Brazilian fighters for a white girl? Thats an article waiting to happen.

I think their could be problems if that happens. Getting rid of two of your most popular colored Brazilian fighters for a white girl? Thats an article waiting to happen.
If that happens, we're getting Katarina. Sure having someone from Brazil that fights with a brazillian style would be cool, but fuck the capos.

Top Bottom