• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 50, 2014

Hasney

There definitely were first party ads with Destiny in it. I remember a general PS4 one with that.

Yeah that makes sense. I was saying they didn't put out any Destiny specific adverts like that annoying "ah ahh AHHHHHHHHHHH" one.

Halo is up at #10? What is happening? Also, it should've been LBP3, not DriveClub, that Sony decided to push through the bundles.

MCC has been bundled and discounted out of the arse and back.

I've seen LBP3 bundles coming in now, quite often as family packs with Minecraft and a Lego game in there.

People better hope it sold well on Origin or this is the last we'll see of Dragon Age.

DA:I didn't bomb in US though. According to insiders it had pretty similar start to DAII and that is without digital so it actually had better start. As it's also very good game it should have far better legs too than DAII.

KooopaKid

Banned
There is nothing wrong with it except for being bland. It's not repulsive at all.

Tastes and all but...

solas2.jpg

Phamit

As has been pointed out repeatedly in the NPD thread, DA:O outsold Mass Effect.

Edit: Though I agree that ME4 has much less to worry about, I do think that ME3 may have similarly damaged the brand.

Mass Effect was Xbox exclusive when it was first released and DA:O not, also Mass Effect 2 outsold Dragon Age 2 and origins

madp0k

Cross posting.

While it is good to see. I think there's reason to care. That it took them bundling it so heavily to get the game some sales, suggests the IP might not be able to stand on its own and that's a worry for its long term success and viability as a new IP.

It can only be a good thing that a good game gets into as many peoples hands as possible, it might not have got that exposure if it hadn't, the more people that play DC the more people are likely to buy the sequel if we get one (fingers crossed). I'm sure you'd be pleased if MS were bundling FH2 or SO more than COD and AC, as two of those games will sell anyway without being included in a bundle, SO was a good game and deserved to get into as many peoples X1's as possible and it wouldn't of hurt FH2 either (although that seems to be back in the charts again).

is just not brand damage but when all is said and done, every game that releases with GTA is sure to have problems and it doesnt help that other 3-4 big games released in the same month as well

for a very "hardcore" series it was expected, hopefully it has long legs

Xater

Overhyped to who? Regardless, it was a great game and found a decent-sized audience which Bioware and EA have done everything in their power to fuck up.

If anything Baldur's Gate fans like myself were very skeptical of the first DA after the Mass Effect games.

Flappy

Banned
I did my part for DriveClub yesterday.

Two people in front of me also picked it up. Maybe the word is out about the weather update. It's all good either way. My GOTY.

Lucreto

Microsoft said they were leading in the console sales in the UK in November. There is no indication that has translated into software sales as of yet. The bundle deals are charting higher on Xbox though.

If is funny to see Driveclub outselling Halo.

Microsoft said they were leading in the console sales in the UK. There is no indication that has translated into software sales as of yet. The bundle deals are charting higher on Xbox though.

No they said they outsold PS4 in November.

Cross posting.

While it is good to see. I think there's reason to care. That it took them bundling it so heavily to get the game some sales, suggests the IP might not be able to stand on its own and that's a worry for its long term success and viability as a new IP.

I think you're being overly concerned. A racing game is a natural thing to bundle with a console, and in Europe at least, it's one of the things people often want. It was going to be one of the launch bundles remember.

As long as it gets into people's home in sufficient numbers then it still stands a good chance. If it continues to help shift consoles, if people buy the season pass/dlc then it should be enough to prove it deserves a sequel. As long as they keep it alive with frequent fresh content dumps, and if an eventual GOTY edition does well, then it can go on to become a successful franchise.

The fact it's a great game should help it, and should they decide to do a follow up (they may not need to in the near future considering how extensible the menu system is) by that time they'll have a larger number of cars and tracks to build on. It's not as though a sequel should be all that expensive to make now they've laid the groundwork.

Microsoft said they were leading in the console sales in the UK in November. There is no indication that has translated into software sales as of yet. The bundle deals are charting higher on Xbox though.

They are not leading, they led for a few weeks, same thing happened with titanfall month, then ps4 ended up winning most every week for a long time. ps4 is the leading console in the UK,

Hasney

It's not going to translate to chart positions unless they win a lot more weeks. PS4 has a bit of a lead right now.

Flappy

Banned
If most of DriveClub's sales are from bundles, as some claim. Then I find it interesting that so many people are picking this new ip bundle when there is the famous GTAV one that is the same price.

If most of DriveClub's sales are from bundles, as some claim. Then I find it interesting that so many people are picking this new ip bundle when there is the famous GTAV one that is the same price.

And far cry 4....I think drive club is doing better in europe then some want to admit.

elelunicy

DA:I didn't bomb in US though. According to insiders it had pretty similar start to DAII and that is without digital so it actually had better start. As it's also very good game it should have far better legs too than DAII.

That comparison only makes sense if DA2 and DA:I had similar budgets and sales expectations.

Dragon Age II was what, a one-year production? I wouldn't be surprised if DA:I was more than twice as expensive to make.

That comparison only makes sense if DA2 and DA:I had similar budgets and sales expectations.

Dragon Age II was what, a one-year production? I wouldn't be surprised if DA:I was more than twice as expensive to make.

Well we don't know about what expectations EA had for the game. If it has legs it could make the extra costs compared to DAII worth it. DAII started well because of people loved Origins but then fall of the cliff as far as sales go. I guess we will hear about the performance of game more when EA releases next financial report.

Glass

Isn't there a term for a bad game of film hurting its own sequel? I think the example generally used are the Tomb Raider films. The first one was pretty terrible but made alot of money. The sequel was actually a big improvement (all relative) but it performed far worse because everyone thought the first was awful and didn't want to see another.

Dragon Age 2 was really take through the ringer when it was released, much like AC: Unity is right now (for different reasons perhaps) but it definitely became known as a lesser product then the original DA: Origins. I wonder if that's played an impact in Inquisition's sales. It's a huge shame especially since Bioware has done exactly what it needed to to avoid another DA2.

I think it's a good strategy to get the game out there. I think any new racing IP is going to struggle (HI CREW) and bundling it would make sense to get name recognition out there and if people dig it, the sequel can stand on its own two feet.

It's not a game I enjoy, but looking at the positive feedback, getting the first one in as many hands as possible is probably a good thing.

That's where the Plus version was supposed to be come, so unless they've taken to bundling to offset that version...

I see what you are saying but I cant agreed,bundles are nothing new at all even the most biggest IPs have them.

Of course, I wasn't claiming it's something new. It's just a tiny bit worrying to see the game only find sales success through very aggressive bundling.

It can only be a good thing that a good game gets into as many peoples hands as possible, it might not have got that exposure if it hadn't, the more people that play DC the more people are likely to buy the sequel if we get one (fingers crossed). I'm sure you'd be pleased if MS were bundling FH2 or SO more than COD and AC, as two of those games will sell anyway without being included in a bundle, SO was a good game and deserved to get into as many peoples X1's as possible and it wouldn't of hurt FH2 either (although that seems to be back in the charts again).

Of course I'd love to see MS bundle Sunset even more than they did.

I think you're being overly concerned. A racing game is a natural thing to bundle with a console, and in Europe at least, it's one of the things people often want. It was going to be one of the launch bundles remember.

As long as it gets into people's home in sufficient numbers then it still stands a good chance. If it continues to help shift consoles, if people buy the season pass/dlc then it should be enough to prove it deserves a sequel. As long as they keep it alive with frequent fresh content dumps, and if an eventual GOTY edition does well, then it can go on to become a successful franchise.

The fact it's a great game should help it, and should they decide to do a follow up (they may not need to in the near future considering how extensible the menu system is) by that time they'll have a larger number of cars and tracks to build on. It's not as though a sequel should be all that expensive to make now they've laid the groundwork.

I just worry that this was a last ditch attempt by Sony to gain some sales and hope they can get money back through DLC. I love DC, easily the best racer I've played since Horizon 1 and PGR4 and I want it to continue for a long, long time, but this level of bundling has me ever so slightly worried about the future of the IP.

You do realise it's bundled alongside GTA5 or Far Cry 4 or The Last of Us or FIFA. It's not the solo DC bundle.

Kill3r7

DA:I probably should have come out in the August to September timeframe. It might have even done better at the end of January.

Sad to see. It's a really good game that seems to have been lost in the shuffle combined with pretty bad marketing. Sucks especially since that might mean we get even less straight up RPGs and more Mass Effect which is basically just a choose your own adventure shooter at this point.

Except the previous two games did better and Elder Scrolls also does gangbusters.

Agreed. They should have released it during the summer/early fall. November this year was packed. The more "disturbing" fact is that it is the only major RPG release this holiday season and it's not getting a lot of support.

Cross posting.

As opposed to the plan of giving everyone a free copy?

Driveclub was never going to be a big seller and its issues have hurt it massively. But, its silly to imagine that Sony didnt see this game as something that was going to have a slow burn and needed alot of help along the way. It wasn't picked for the now MIA Ps+ version at random.

ZoddGutts

That was more of a glorified demo. This bundling is them really giving anyone who buys a PS4 a free copy of the game.

See my edit. It works the same way. They are trying to rescue something fromnthe whole project by growing the fanbase because they still believe in the underlying game.

If anything, its confirmation that they still have some faith in the IP.

Foshy

Of course, I wasn't claiming it's something new. It's just a tiny bit worrying to see the game only find sales success through very aggressive bundling.

What about it is worrying? Getting an extra game along with your console is always cool, and Driveclub also serves as a good tech showcase. It's also good for the game's longevity, because more people owning it means more people to play with online.

I think racing games are great for bundling. Many people enjoy them to some extent, but maybe wouldn't pay full price for them.

Not seen any around may parts. My local GAME just has the GTAV bundle with a code for The Last of Us. None with DC.

Argos' big televised bundle also doesn't include DC (Has GTAV, Far Cry 4, and TLOS for the price of a regular PS4. It's pretty crazy)

You must have missed them. Game had a GTA4, TLOU and DC bundle or a The Crew, DC and TLOU for £349.99 or DC, Destiny, FIFA, Watch Dogs for £399.99.

Sainsbury also had a FC4 and DC bundle for £349.99. Pretty sure Shop to had a few as well. It's been very heavily bundled. Pretty surprising you managed to miss all of them.

See my edit. It works the same way. They are trying to rescue something fromnthe whole project by growing the fanbase because they still believe in the underlying game.

If anything, its confirmation that they still have some faith in the IP.

We'll see. Giving the entire game (outside of DLC) away for free doesn't really signal confidence in the IP to me, but who knows.

What about it is worrying? Getting an extra game along with your console is always cool, and Driveclub also serves as a good tech showcase. It's also good for the game's longevity, because more people owning it means more people to play with online.

I think racing games are great for bundling. Many people enjoy them to some extent, but maybe wouldn't pay full price for them.

They are essentially giving the game away in this bundle. That doesn't signal much confidence in the IP.

ZoddGutts

Either way this week's chart confirms DA:I did bombed in the U.K. and not that they were "out of stock" excuse from last week.

Flappy

Banned
They are essentially giving the game away in this bundle. That doesn't signal much confidence in the IP.

I'd say the complete opposite. Officially bundled games are chosen to be as desirable as possible by picking games they think people will want with their console. This is why they don't make bundles with shitty games.

MS or Sony wouldn't go to all the trouble of bundling a game they don't think people will want. That makes zero sense.

Kathian

Banned
Will be watching the performance of Biowares next game closely. Dragon Age is basically dead.

Least we're seeing sold gold old fashioned drops for some franchises going into next gen. Like old times.

I'd say the complete opposite. Officially bundled games are chosen to be as desirable as possible by picking games they think people will want with their console. This is why they don't make bundles with shitty games.

MS or Sony wouldn't go to all the trouble of bundling a game they don't think people will want. That makes zero sense.

To be fair...there was Knack...

Those bundles that include DC right now aren't the official DC bundle, they are the official GTA5 and official FC4 bundle with DC and TLoU added as an extra incentive.

DC did have its own bundle though, but that really didn't do much to help the game chart as highly as it deserved to.

Staf

Ok, not the biggest fan of Dragon age 3 but it's weird that it's not even making the charts. Maybe it needs more awesome buttons? At least it reminded me of how good DA:O is; dusted of the old PS3 last night and started another run of DA:O.

Top Bottom