• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Disappointing to hear about the change being softened so quickly ...

Not checked in on Skullgirls in a minute, had some questions:
- when's Beowulf hitting?
- Robo Fortune?
- PS4 version?
- PS4 version cross buy?
- will PS4 version have a higher-res than PS3 version?
- when's Vita version?
- Vita cross buy?

Beowulf and Robo Fortune are gonna be released in the retail versions at the same time due to the cost of patch testing. Beowulf looks like he might be moveset complete or very close to it (I don't believe his hype mechanic has been implemented though) and RoboFortune is a bit of a mystery. She has at least one colored frame and I'd imagine she'll be borrowing the majority of hitstuns/throws/techs from Fortune though so she shouldn't take all that long not counting the amount of time it'll take to edit those individual frames.

No idea about PS4 and Vita but I think the PS4 version will be using the 1080p sprites?

Beowulf and Robo Fortune are gonna be released in the retail versions at the same time due to the cost of patch testing. Beowulf looks like he might be moveset complete or very close to it (I don't believe his hype mechanic has been implemented though) and RoboFortune is a bit of a mystery. She has at least one colored frame and I'd imagine she'll be borrowing the majority of hitstuns/throws/techs from Fortune though so she shouldn't take all that long not counting the amount of time it'll take to edit those individual frames.

No idea about PS4 and Vita but I think the PS4 version will be using the 1080p sprites?

Hold the phone, its getting a retail releases

Beats

Yeah, I don't really get testing such a change like that for only a day, but maybe Mike got enough feedback on it. I dunno. I haven't checked Skullheart though, but did a lot of people really not like it? I didn't even get a chance to try it in a match to see how it would affect the neutral/combos lol. > . <

WarRock

Holy fuck, Beowulf is awesome. He's so going to my team. Still unsure if the damage increase for his grab mode is worth 3 meter though...

Beats

SJ Height is +25% now in the Beta.

-

Do you think the IPS is sort of redundant when Undizzy can prevent infinites as well? Just seems like IPS stops the player from doing loops or reusing moves as chain starters. If IPS wasn't in and the player were to try an infinite loop Undizzy would kick in eventually. I suppose the loss of it would remove another way to force a burst trigger on your opponent.

I mean I don't really mind it, but I think maybe for new players the combo system feels a little bit more complicated than it should be on the surface with it being there. Only really thought about it when I tried to get a friend into the game recently and he was somewhat confused as to why it was there along with Undizzy.

Ravidrath

Not checked in on Skullgirls in a minute, had some questions:
- when's Beowulf hitting?
- Robo Fortune?
- PS4 version?
- PS4 version cross buy?
- will PS4 version have a higher-res than PS3 version?
- when's Vita version?
- Vita cross buy?

1. We wanted to have him out by the end of the year, but hit some snags. Mostly with story mode and stage music.

2. Robo-Fortune will probably hit wit hthe PS4/Vita release. Her actual character is pretty far along, so it'll be mostly down to stage / story mode. Because that version will need another round of testing, etc. we can afford to split them now.

3. We're hoping by the end of Q1 for PS4/Vita release. They'll be simultaneous.

4. Not ready to talk pricing on the PS4/Vita versions yet, crossbuy, etc. Still not fully decided, but we have a direction we want to go. It's pretty safe to say that it will not be free for existing PS3 owners, though - we're spending a lot of money on the upgrades and additions and we can't just give that away.

5. It'll be native 1080p, but the assets likely won't be upscaled - too much increase in file size / loading times for no noticeable benefit.

6. See #3.

7. See #4.

Ravidrath

The final batch of Skullgirls avatars has hit the US PS3 PSN store!

B5mfHjcCcAIS2XK.png:large

I'll add another question Ravi, any chance for cross-play?

That's the goal.

Damn I tried to find some Beowulf anti-burst tech this morning and I'm disappointed: except for his wolf level 3 (that doesn't play full), no super has enough invincibility to go through all the burst and then grab. I was so eager to try something like burst bait anti-air super/arm super/lvl3 super. :3
I'll try without the chair to see if something can be done with the cr.HP armor.

Nyoro SF

Damn I tried to find some Beowulf anti-burst tech this morning and I'm disappointed: except for his wolf level 3 (that doesn't play full), no super has enough invincibility to go through all the burst and then grab. I was so eager to try something like burst bait anti-air super/arm super/lvl3 super. :3
I'll try without the chair to see if something can be done with the cr.HP armor.

From what I remember, burst active frames in Skullgirls deliberately stay active until the attacking character runs out of invincibility.

Armor should work just fine though.

From what I remember, burst active frames in Skullgirls deliberately stay active until the attacking character runs out of invincibility.

Armor should work just fine though.

Armor won't work. It'll go through the burst but they'll immediately be able to block. If anything connects with the actual burst hitbox then the person is safe regardless of whether or not you armored through it. The only options are making them whiff the burst or bulldozing through it with something with insane amounts of invincibility. I'm sure Beowulf has legit burst bait tech though. The easy route would be to find something launcher based and having the hit that triggers the burst be just out of his hittable range, maybe you can do something like X -> Wolf Cancel in whatever direction to avoid it.

Do you think the IPS is sort of redundant when Undizzy can prevent infinites as well? Just seems like IPS stops the player from doing loops or reusing moves as chain starters. If IPS wasn't in and the player were to try an infinite loop Undizzy would kick in eventually. I suppose the loss of it would remove another way to force a burst trigger on your opponent.

I mean I don't really mind it, but I think maybe for new players the combo system feels a little bit more complicated than it should be on the surface with it being there. Only really thought about it when I tried to get a friend into the game recently and he was somewhat confused as to why it was there along with Undizzy.

IPS has a secondary purpose of stopping people from stringing together the strongest moves at their disposal over and over again so it does have an effect on the overall damage output of the character on top of the infinite preventing aspects. I still don't really find the combo system all that complicated either, certainly more straightforward than some of say the BlazBlue games where the circumstances for X or Y comboing into eachother are just arbitrary

Mr. X

SJ Height is +25% now in the Beta.

-

IPS prevents infinites, side effect of shortening combos.

Undizzy was added to shorten combos, because IPS didn't shorten them enough and trying to make it so it did resulted in a knock in creativity. Super strict, very dry. This was tested in the beta, hence how Undizzy came to be.

1. We wanted to have him out by the end of the year, but hit some snags. Mostly with story mode and stage music.

2. Robo-Fortune will probably hit wit hthe PS4/Vita release. Her actual character is pretty far along, so it'll be mostly down to stage / story mode. Because that version will need another round of testing, etc. we can afford to split them now.

3. We're hoping by the end of Q1 for PS4/Vita release. They'll be simultaneous.

4. Not ready to talk pricing on the PS4/Vita versions yet, crossbuy, etc. Still not fully decided, but we have a direction we want to go. It's pretty safe to say that it will not be free for existing PS3 owners, though - we're spending a lot of money on the upgrades and additions and we can't just give that away.

5. It'll be native 1080p, but the assets likely won't be upscaled - too much increase in file size / loading times for no noticeable benefit.

6. See #3.

7. See #4.

Nice. Looks like I might dip a couple more times :)

Mr. X

The height was 55% higher than normal. Now it's just 10% with the ability to move. When you read the reactions on skullheart you understand why he changed so fast: nobody in the top/serious players wanted it because it changed their combo routes or because they don't like MAHVEL style jumps.
I think that was awesome and that it was FUN damn. Even if fun is subjective going over the top and flying in Skullgirls beta was FUN and the more fun the game is, the more I play it. Now it feels like mike wanted a change and that the players just let him have a compensation with 10% percent and the ability to move. -_-
all its doing is making the game slower with sj stalling since nothing is made to fight that vertically and harder, stricter combos overall making the game harder and widening gap between skills.

all its doing is making the game slower with sj stalling since nothing is made to fight that vertically and harder, stricter combos overall making the game harder and widening gap between skills.

YES BUT BUNNY JUMPING WITH BEO DOING HP IS SO FUN. :'(

I just started playing this again, but I only know one solid combo with Bella. Looking to play anyone at any level just so I can get some consistent matches, so feel free to add me on Steam with the same username. I play other fighters as well, but am trying to focus on this.

Unicorn

Finally convinced some friends to try this with me. I'm digging Eliza, just as I was expecting. Downloading the beta now to try out Beowulf

The 5 meter combo is amazing. I've been playing Beo since a few weeks and I really like him. I don't have much time to play now and he's straightforward and pleasant to play so I'm really happy. I really love Eliza but I have to work harder with her to get something done.

Saikyo

Estimated % of Beowulf? I didnt liked him winning the poll but the "beat n up grab" and "hype" mechanic seems fun.

Also some new info about Robo-Fortune? Want the final artwork so I can do a final version of a custom steam cover of the game haha...

Has anyone gotten email confirmation about their physical reward items? I e-mailed LabZero about 8 days ago and no reply as of yet. I was expecting a e-mail by december.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I apologize if I sound like pushy but I'm curious with potential release date for Beowulf and Lobby for console update. Do anyone have any idea on when?

I apologize if I sound like pushy but I'm curious with potential release date for Beowulf and Lobby for console update. Do anyone have any idea on when?

Last I checked, Beo is practically done. He is only missing coloring on a few frames iirc. I also think they are gonna try and release him along with the ps4 and vita release. Cant wait to add a new grappler to my fighting game reputiore! Cereballa being part of the list too. :p

Edit: actually, I forgot about the voice acting.... =/

shaowebb

I haven't kept up with things...did Filia end up in Under Night in Birth on the console yet or was that just an arcade thing?

Last I checked, Beo is practically done. He is only missing coloring on a few frames iirc. I also think they are gonna try and release him along with the ps4 and vita release. Cant wait to add a new grappler to my fighting game reputiore! Cereballa being part of the list too. :p

Edit: actually, I forgot about the voice acting.... =/

IIRC they're just patching Beo whenever he's done and it's Robofortune who's gonna be the one to release along with the PS4/Vita versions.

I haven't kept up with things...did Filia end up in Under Night in Birth on the console yet or was that just an arcade thing?

Neither of those two things

Ravidrath

From puerto rico here. Not sure where that would place me since its changes with various shippers....

Pretty sure that'd make you international.

I'll poke Sanshee and see what's going on there.

Looking like mid-March for Beowulf now.

Big hang-ups with him have been voice acting, stage music and story mode.

Voice acting is scheduled now, there's lots of progress on the stage music, and the story mode is being implemented now. As soon as his voices are implemented in the game, he'll go into testing and submission.

And lobbies will be in the Robo-Fortune patch, which will be released alongside the PS4/Vita versions.

Top Bottom