• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ravidrath

It's too soon to talk about what we're going to be working on next, but I'm pretty happy with how things are progressing at the moment.

Mr. X

I am out of the loop. Questions:
1) What is considered to be the best Painwheel team right now?
2) What DP assist has the most priority/invincibility?
3) Any great videos of competitive Eliza?
There isnt one
Napalm Pillar or Cerebellas which is shitty. Theres a up to date frame data on the shoryuken.com wiki and in training mode it shows frame data and the frames that invincible.
Sonic Fox

It's too soon to talk about what we're going to be working on next, but I'm pretty happy with how things are progressing at the moment.
Congrats!

We were talking in FGW about the 4 buttons layout MikeZ tested a long time ago. Do you know why it was never finished? Not good enough? Someone said it was a patent issue.

shaowebb

We were talking in FGW about the 4 buttons layout MikeZ tested a long time ago. Do you know why it was never finished? Not good enough? Someone said it was a patent issue.

Wait...WHAT?! Um...please can someone clarify this patent. 4 button fighters have appeared in many games and I"m currently working on one with a 4 button layout. This will change some stuff we were about to start doing if button layouts have patents and I can't use certain layouts.

Wait...WHAT?! Um...please can someone clarify this patent. 4 button fighters have appeared in many games and I"m currently working on one with a 4 button layout. This will change some stuff we were about to start doing if button layouts have patents and I can't use certain layouts.

The 4 attacks + 2 assists is patent protected?

One of the gaffers in the FGW thread talked about this and mentionned a patent and MVC3 and how SG may not be able to use this pattern in Japan because of patent rules.

Ravi do you know anything about this?

NEO0MJ

One of the gaffers in the FGW thread talked about this and mentionned a patent and MVC3 and how SG may not be able to use this pattern in Japan because of patent rules.

Pretty sure they were just joking because that sounds too ridiculous to be true.

Pretty sure they were just joking because that sounds too ridiculous to be true.

No, Solar was referencing an interview Mike did where he talked about why SG was six buttons. Mike mentioned the possible alternatives and why they didn't and couldn't go with some of them I think.

Mr. X

In that thread I mention 6 button layout is patent protected in Japan. KI and SG are US made and were imports.

The MvC2 layout I didnt mention but I thought I heard it patented. 4 attacks and 2 assists layout to be clear.

3 button isnt, 4 button isnt, 5 button isnt afaik

In that thread I mention 6 button layout is patent protected in Japan. KI and SG are US made and were imports.

The MvC2 layout I didnt mention but I thought I heard it patented. 4 attacks and 2 assists layout to be clear.

3 button isnt, 4 button isnt, 5 button isnt afaik

That's what I was referring to. And wow 6 buttons layout is patented... That's incredibly lame. :(

Saikyo

just make a "alternate" version of configuration as an option that asssign buttons to functions, not the reverse.

And in this one put functions for "global weak, medium, high, launcher" attacks and "alternate assist 1/2", done : )

1. 300k? Wow

2. I'm fine with Stef or Jesse as Minette if it gets us Minette.

3. I can't wait to body everybody with my Triple Double team. Hopefully

Was going to post it. I like this stage a lot, we don't see this kind of stage anymore. And this small easter egg. :)

Master Milk what are you talking about saying "300k" ?

shaowebb

So some button layouts are patented? Okay...is there an easy way to search for fighting game patents on mechanics? I'm in the middle of making a fighting game and I need to know before I start finalizing things in the engine if I am not allowed to use certain things or not. I'd really hate to have to redesign movesets if some core mechanics, or layouts aren't allowed to be touched but its better to know now while I'm just at the asset stage than later.

Was going to post it. I like this stage a lot, we don't see this kind of stage anymore. And this small easter egg. :)

Master Milk what are you talking about saying "300k" ?

shoulda watched the interview ravid did x_x

apparently a game he worked on did 300k even though it was . . . what it was

Yo Ravid, does Alex post on skullheart? I'm trying to find info on good design philosophies for fighting game characters and google's not giving me much.

Top Bottom