• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

markatisu

Not sure if this was posted, its an interview with High Voltage about working with Nintendo and why Nintendo has such problems with online play

http://hdwarriors.com/index.php/wii/other-consoles-news/287-the-conduit-rob-nicholls-interview.html

IW: Friend Codes and other limitations will obviously affect the end result of The Conduit. I ask since you’ve been working with them - Why in your opinion does Nintendo insist upon such rigid online restrictions even though the Wii has an extensive built in Parental Controls feature?

RN: I think they’re just very concerned - I mean we’ve had lots of conversations with Nintendo. They’ve been very open with us, and are very sensitive to our needs. So they’re more than willing to work with us, but I think it’s a combination of:

1. They’re very concerned about the people playing their console, because many Wii gamers tend to be much younger than 360 and PS3 gamers. So they are concerned about that.

2. Is that I think the online component of the Wii has caught them off guard a little bit and they didn’t expect consumers to want to use it as extensively as, for example, we intend to make our system. So we’ve noticed in our development that their servers seem to work much better for small numbers of people, but when you start getting up there in higher numbers, things become more problematic.

But like I said, they’ve been very sensitive and very helpful. I mean, we ask them questions all the time, we’re still asking them questions, and we’re working out the details, but those are the two reasons that I feel are the case.

IW: Obviously the issues with online gaming are bigger than Nintendo alone. Do you feel as though the Parental responsibility aspect is being lost in gaming due to catering to uninvolved or quote/unquote “Lazy” parents?

RN: As a developer I’ll say that personally speaking it would be nice if parents were more involved. Games are not meant to be babysitters, and it’s very ironic for me that there’s all this talk of: “Oh, we’ve got to put warning labels.” “We’ve got to make the stores responsible for who they sell to.” Then we go to a career night at a middle school and we find these 10-13 year olds playing Halo. That their parents bought them.

So obviously I guess my opinion is, if the parents are letting their kids play these games, that’s their choice. Let them play. I think the industry does a pretty good job of monitoring itself and labeling products.

But it’s like anything else. This enforcement comes down to: are you going to card somebody at the counter? Well he’ll get his friend or his big brother to buy it for him and circumvent the system. Ultimately it does end up as the responsibility of the user, and it’s entirely up to them. If the parents are cool with their kids playing these games, then let them play.

Davey Cakes

I agree with the whole "if the parents are okay with it, let the kids play" mentality.

There are parental controls for a reason, after all. Nintendo's gone too far out of their way to prevent kids from having a negative online experience.

Why should WE ALL have to put up with an inconvenient friend code system when it's only one demographic that may need the extra "safety measures"?

As far as the "more people online is problematic" thing is concerned, I can understand. Just like the Wii itself, Nintendo didn't know what to expect out of consumers when it came to online functionality. But, if they can fix it somehow, they should, now that they know how many people out there are interested in playing games like Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, and The Conduit online.

scitek

Unfortunately, it's always the few who ruin it for the many. Censorship always follows that route. All it takes is a few hundred calls from outraged parents over a TV show showing a bare ass and it's never going to happen again even if millions of other viewers couldn't have cared less.

Scrubking

Free For All Maps
- Bunker
- Pentagon (8-12 players)
- Complex (6-10 players)
- Sanctum
- Infirmary
- Streets
- Warehouse
- Random

Weapon Sets
- Human
- Trust
- Drudge
- Near/Far
- Close Combat
- Longe Range
- Explosive
- Chargeable
- Random

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Screens of the interface, options straight from the video.
b7gv3t.png

14x1fgg.png

28bbmn6.png

Framerate seemed to skip whenever there was a big explosion on the screen. If there's one thing that gets annoying quick it's frame skips in multiplayer games. Here's hoping they have enough time to tweak it.

Also, looks like they're going the "playground" route. I was hoping they'd ape Infinity Ward and have a loadout system. Oh well.

Disguises

DeaconKnowledge said:
Also, looks like they're going the "playground" route. I was hoping they'd ape Infinity Ward and have a loadout system. Oh well.

Yeah, seems like its going to be more hectic and faster paced than CoD. Still wouldn't have minded a custom class sorta system though. Anyone seen a sniper rifle round? closest thing i've seen is that machine gun with scope.

markatisu

Keep in mind multiplayer seems to be the last thing they are implementing (had to wait for Wii Speak kits and work online infrastructure with Nintendo)

So what we see now is sure to get better before the June release, everything HV has every done with Conduit has been that way.

I am sure the framerate wont be an issue either, the reason they did not do 32 player was because the framerate was taking too much of a hit so I dont think they would allow a mode that was shit when they killed one for that same reason.

Hiltz

Looking good.

Quite frankly, the number of players for online isn't a big concern. It could be as low as 6 or 8 for all I care. Besides, having more players isn't necessarily a good thing (I'm mainly looking at you, Mario Kart). As long as lag won't interfere and the frame rate holds up and the maps are well designed and the weapons are fun to use, then I'll be a happy gamer.

Sweet, it looks like you can play as the drudge and the trust as well.

The only thing left is if bots are in or out. Anyone know yet ?

Scrubking

Hiltz said:
Looking good.

Quite frankly, the number of players for online isn't a big concern of mine and the same for voice-chat, I don't even use it for PC games. It could be as low as 6 or 8 for all I care. Besides, having more players isn't necessarily a good thing (I'm mainly looking at you, Mario Kart). As long as lag won't interfere and the frame rate holds up and the maps are well designed and the weapons are fun to use, then I'll be a happy gamer.

Sweet, it looks like you can play as the drudge and the trust as well.

The only thing left is if bots are in or out. Anyone know yet ?

The blowout is tomorrow so we'll likely find out about the bots then. And I think 12 players is good. They wanted more but brought it down to avoid lag.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Blob shadows and slowdowns. Awesome.

I look forward to the hands-on impressions to see how solid it is.

EatChildren said:
I look forward to the hands-on impressions to see how solid it is.

That might take a while.

Journalists on-hand, the show was set to begin at 6:00 p.m.-ish Tuesday, but as SEGA tried to demonstrate the shooter's online connection, it ran into a brick wall -- specifically, Nintendo's servers. Apparently the servers had gone down shortly before the demo could begin and therefore the publisher could not connect the game online. As a result, the demo was halted and SEGA chose instead to focus on the title's single-player mode.

Whoops.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just read that. Fuck Nintendo have the most useless online service in the world.

markatisu

Thats great, HV was just saying how Nintendo was having a hard time understanding how to run online and then it ruins their demo :lol

pakkit

Banned
Online is down to 12 Players

If you navigate the website well enough to find the "features" section (guy in window > item on window shelf) you'll find this information.

Intense Online Multiplayer:

Up to 12 Players can join up online to battle in a variety of multiplayer modes.

I thought it was 16 before? Dependant on the size of the maps, 12 is fine.

markatisu

pakkit said:
I thought it was 16 before? Dependant on the size of the maps, 12 is fine.

It was originally going to be 32 then 16, but as they were in the middle of development they decided 12 ran much smoother so they locked it in at that to get the best gameplay.

EatChildren

markatisu said:
It was originally going to be 32 then 16, but as they were in the middle of development they decided 12 ran much smoother so they locked it in at that to get the best gameplay.

Apparently Nintendo's server are arse at handling lots of players. Typical.

pakkit

Banned
Also, the interface from the trailers clearly reads "Private" in the top right corner, so I'd assume the multiplayer options for random opponents are either much more limited or more streamlined.

markatisu

EatChildren said:
Apparently Nintendo's server are arse at handling lots of players. Typical.

Yeah that is a big part of it, as recently as this week HV reps said that Nintendo was fine in low online usage but once you get more users it craps out (proof of that was tonight I suppose)

12 is not bad but Nintendo needs to get on the ball and make sure the servers are on line, they have 2 months to get it streamlined. Hell its not like Nintendo has their servers swamped with anything else since they only have two online intensive games (Mario Kart Wii and SSBB) and a third on the way (Excitebots)

pakkit said:
Also, the interface from the trailers clearly reads "Private" in the top right corner, so I'd assume the multiplayer options for random opponents are either much more limited or more streamlined.
Doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Actually the voting system has me thinking the exact opposite.

Meesh

abstract alien said:
Good reload, and its nice to hear the enemy body actually make a sound when it falls down.

I'm no judge when it comes to multiplayer, but it looks pretty smooth, interface options screens look sleek as well.

rolled a 20 on the excitement die with those vids. :)

Evilink said:
I'm no judge when it comes to multiplayer, but it looks pretty smooth, interface options screens look sleek as well.

rolled a 20 on the excitement die with those vids. :)
Oh hell yes!
We shall buy this one as haaaaaaaaaaard as we can!!!

Jaagen

IGN said:
There will also be a ton of multiplayer game modes in many different categories. In "Free for All," players can take part in a quick match, with the match ending when a player reaches a set kill count. In "Marathon," players simply rack up as many kills as they can in a set time limit. "Three Strikes" challenges players to strive with only three lives to use. "Last Man Standing" is exactly what it sounds like, and "ASE Football" is a "tag" like game where the player who holds onto the All Seeing Eye the longest wins. Then there's "Bounty Hunter," the most complex sounding of the free for all matches: players aim for specific players, but get penalized if they take out the wrong targets.

There are two different Team Play categories. In "Team Reaper," you can play Quick Match and Marathon with sides, but you can also play "Shared Stock," where teammates pull additional lives from the same pool. In "Team Objective," you can take part in a capture the flag mode using the ASE -- each team has its own All Seeing Eye to grab. There's also a mode to grab a single ASE somewhere in the level; the team that captures the ASE the most in the set time limit wins.

The Conduit's multiplayer will support the Wii Speak voicechatting peripheral. To cut down on the overwhelming noise of 12 players gabbing away at the same time, players will only hear the players that are close to them -- according to High Voltage, players will hear, at most, the six players closest to them during battle.

New info from IGN. Interesting way to do the voice chat, but it seems like a good solution without a dedicated headset. Still; would have preffered the option to hear the team only, and to mute people that's beeing annoying.

The modes sounds like standard fare though and there's not many "interesting ones", except the "shared stock" one. Still, it'll probably be a fun distraction from the SP campaign.

nightside

I'm curious to see if the weapons will be well balanced...I fear that the strike rifle will be the most used and mos effective.

Scrubking

- Free For All
- Marathon (kill until time runs out)
- Three Strikes (Kill until lives run out)
- Last Man Standing
- ASE Football (Tag)
- Bounty Hunter (Only kill specified players)
- Team Reaper
- Team Objective (Capture the flag)

In one fell swoop High Voltage has made Activision's Wii effort look like a turd. Going to the WaW board and hearing Treyarch blame the Wii for the lack of online modes was laughable. They can't use that excuse anymore.

Anyway, I can't wait until we get some footage and see how Wii speak works. Excellent Job High Voltage!

Jaagen

Regarding multiplayer, I'm guessing Modern Warfare 2 on the Wii(assuming it's coming, but I don't see why it won't considering the engine is allready ported) will be "identical" to the other version in terms of options(with a few esceptions and only the smallest maps) I will be surprised if it supports more than 8 players, though.

pakkit

Banned
Scrubking said:
In one fell swoop High Voltage has made Activision's Wii effort look like a turd. Going to the WaW board and hearing Treyarch blame the Wii for the lack of online modes was laughable.

Activision's servers worked well. We have no idea how Nintendo's servers will hold up. Let's not get to laughing just yet. Still, the customizability and range of options known thus far is encouraging.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
pakkit said:
Activision's servers worked well. We have no idea how Nintendo's servers will hold up. Let's not get to laughing just yet. Still, the customizability and range of options known thus far is encouraging.
Are these games using dedicated servers? I would have thought that the servers would be purely for the matchmaking part and then one of the players would be host.

Top Bottom