• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now doing beta tests for PS4 firmware

Bamelin, for the record, I feel really bad about this. Should I Sudoku myself?

The announcement ITSELF is under an NDA?

The thing with the MVP program is that it very clearly states nothing should be communicated outside. That's generally accepted. When the community is as small as it is, people get upset when there are leaks, since it possibly jeopardizes the program (though I doubt this to be the case). I have to assume leaks are expected, but it still doesn't mean it should happen.

It just seems like whoever is leaking is gaining some benefit from doing so, and that's just not right. If he/she is doing it just because they can, then it also just isn't cool.

Mandelbo

I'm always surprised when people are surprised that stuff like this leaks. It may well be a comparatively quick leak, but it isn't exactly unprecedented. Sony were almost certainly aware that the email would get out in the open before they even sent it round, so I doubt they'd cancel the whole thing because of this :p

W1SSY

Is this the first firmware they have tested with MVP? If so it is not surprising that they want to test it with it being such a large update.

Moosehole

They can't cancel this one at least because the firmware is already available to download. But yeah. Every time this stuff leaks out immediately.

salromano

So it's on Twitter: https://twitter.com/heleius/status/573918457286230016

Main Features

- The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications. You can adjust this setting in [Power Save Settings] > [Set Fuctions Available in Rest Mode]

- [Accessibility] has been added to [Settings]. You can adjust accessibility settings such as zooming and button assignments.

Other Features

- Trophies...

B_b59n_WIAEpVtE.jpg:large

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The cat is out of the bag. Now they are going to cancel this and Uncharted, The Last Guardian and PSX with it.

Thanks Obama.

Clockwork

MVP here.

It's funny but the first thing I did was check here to see if someone couldn't keep their mouth shut.

Imagine my lack of surprise...

jediyoshi

So you're really not even actually trying to read into the extent that people are freaking out? It's all the same to you regardless of context? If cboat revealed his position before leaks, you don't think a single person would question the implications of doing so?

Sounds like Long-Requested Feature is in.

And Trophies!

Its good to see they are beta testing Rest Mode though. Even the minor fiddling with it in the 2.0 update messed some systems up.

Hopefully Sony keeps doing this sort of thing because the FW updates have been a bit more spotty in recent times

SlyQuaker

Banned
I wouldn't touch this beta test with a 100 foot pole. I don't trust Sony to put out beta firmware that wouldn't screw up my PS4. The regular releases are sometimes bad enough.

Why even NDA this? It's a feature the competition already has, and it's an excellent feature.

Better to protect yourself. It could end up being a massive failure and they scrap it for a later release. Then it's bad press because it didn't come out as planned.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why even NDA this? It's a feature the competition already has, and it's an excellent feature.

Yeah, I don't get it either -- unless they are afraid that they can't deliver on it due to someone finding a major issue (thus causing more delay).

You would think it would be fine though considering how long it took for the feature to come.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, I don't get it either -- unless they are afraid that they can't deliver on it due to someone finding a major issue (thus causing more delay).
I think it's because the firmware developers are having a face-off about who can put in the biggest undocumented feature in an update while still having the public changelog say "Stability update."

Of course they still need an actual changelog to communicate to others what's new and should be tested. But now their game is up!

I'm actually more intrigued by that "Trophies" part. Offline trophies? Automatically sync without having to go to the Trophy menu? Organise them by name? I probably won't use the suspend feature, I might use that.

Top Bottom