• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 2.50 Suspend/Resume Coming March/April

bombshell

Will suspend/resume feature be optional?

Yeah, you can change the settings for the rest mode as mentioned in the changelog. Above the red highlight.

ZulxKmW.jpg

FranXico

I only leave it on stand-by when one of my controllers are charging or when I'm downloading a game.

All I know is that currently, if I'm playing a really long session of GTA V, I have to wait for the game to load even if I just left the system on stand-by to charge my controller.

I'd very much like not to have to wait for that.

DavidDesu

All I know is that currently, if I'm playing a really long session of GTA V, I have to wait for the game to load even if I just left the system on stand-by to charge my controller.

I'd very much like not to have to wait for that.

Yeah in general it means I'll stick to playing one game much more now, if I can just switch on and continue with no long load screens to have to wait for. GTAV will especially benefit from this. Heck even just if I'm using my PS4 solely for Netflix for a while it saves having to see the PS4 startup screen and all that which always takes maybe 30 seconds until you can actually do anything. Hopefully resume is instant like with the Vita. Any word yet on that?

Wow. I'd also given up about suspend/resume. I really figured it was something that wasn't possible on the final hardware. We'll see how well it works.

And system wide button mapping? That's, like, one of those things on the wish list of Stuff Every OS Should Have. Next thing you'll be telling me I can sort my download list or search the PS Store by developer or publisher. Nah...

Awesome news. Suspending games on my vita has allowed me to finish things I probably never would have otherwise.

Why are people so afraid of leaving something in standby? You realize these devices are designed to utilize this feature right? Some of you sound like my grandmother.

daveo42

Banned
Here's hoping it works as intended fresh off the firmware. Been waiting a long time for this feature to finally make it to the console.

FranXico

Wow. I'd also given up about suspend/resume. I really figured it was something that wasn't possible on the final hardware. We'll see how well it works.

I had suspicions as well, not that it wouldn't be possible, but rather that they would likely not be able to reduce power consumption as much as originally planned. One can speculate that it could still be the case, although arguably the most important is that the long promised feature finally works.

antibolo

Banned
One thing I desperately want from the button reassigning feature is the ability to reassign the touchpad click. My arcade stick (HRAP v4 Hayabusa) lacks a touchpad which makes it unusable for games that assign a function to the touchpad click as a replacement for the lack of a Select button (example: Rogue Legacy uses it for bringing up the map).

In any case this is gonna be AWESOME for playing more games with an arcade stick, because it will allow reassigning a better layout suited to it. People tend to think of arcade sticks as being only relevant for fighting games, but I enjoy using mine on anything that doesn't need analog stick control whenever possible. The ability to freely reassign buttons will make this so much better now!!! I can already imagine playing any platformer with a proper Metal Slug style layout, nnnnnnnnnngh.

jmaine_ph

Main Features

The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications. You can adjust this setting in [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Rest Mode].

[Accessibility] has been added to [Settings]. You can adjust accessibility settings such as zooming and button assignments.

Trophies

You an now delete trophies with 0% achievement progress.

[Earned Date], [Not Earned], and [Grade] have been added as sorting options for trophies. You can also sort by [Earned Date] and [Not Earned] options when comparing trophies with other players.

You can now search the Internet for details about trophies from the options menu in [Trophies].

Screenshots of scenes when you earn trophies are now saved automatically. You can view saved screenshots in [Capture Gallery].

You can now share trophy details and screenshots. Select the trophy you want to share details about in [Trophy], and then press the Share button.

Share Play

You can now test the host's connection speed when starting Share Play.

You can now enjoy Share Play at 60 fps. A host in a party can adjust the setting in [Party Settings] > [Video Quality for Share Play] > [Frame Rate].

A user who is running version 2.50 or earlier on their system cannot use Share Play with someone who is running version 2.50 beta on their system. Users who are both running system software version 2.50 beta can enjoy Share Play.

Other

Users who are your Facebook friends can now be displayed in [Players You May Know].

You can now send real name requests in addition to Friend requests to users who are currently not on your Friends list.

You can now apply a shadow style for text in [Themes].

You can now enter up to 140 characters for your self-introduction.

If you enter 22 characters or more for your self-introduction, only 21 characters will be displayed on a PS4 system running system software version earlier than 2.50.

You can now use the touch pad to operate playback of videos on discs.

[Discover] has been added to introduce users to PS4 system features. You can view information about features in [Notifications] > [Discover].

Remote Play cannot be used with a PS Vita system running version 3.35. A system software update for the PS Vita (to be released later) is required.

Elios83

This. So the suspend/resume function is useless for me, I guess...

Emmm suspend/resume is just a standby mode where the state of CPU and the memory is kept in the same state before closing your session with the system.
I mean it's not magic, if you completely turn off the system you can't do suspend/resume.
So I don't understand what's the problem with putting the console in stanby mode instead of turning it off if you need the feature?

Btw my most wanted features right now are video playback, folders and homepage customization with the apps I want, DLNA and a Psone emulator, so I hope there's more to this firmware than these leaked features which are all pretty cool and useful but not essential for me.

truth411

Emmm suspend/resume is just a standby mode where the state of CPU and the memory is kept in the same state before closing your session with the system.
I mean it's not magic, if you completely turn off the system you can't do suspend/resume.
So I don't understand what's the problem with putting the console in stanby mode instead of turning it off if you need the feature?

Btw my most wanted features right now are video playback, folders and homepage customization with the apps I want, DLNA and a Psone emulator, so I hope there's more to this firmware than these leaked features which are all pretty cool and useful but not essential for me.

I keep seeing this. What do you guys mean? Obviously DVD and Blueray work just fine.

Mengetsu

Main Features

The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications. You can adjust this setting in [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Rest Mode].

[Accessibility] has been added to [Settings]. You can adjust accessibility settings such as zooming and button assignments.

Trophies

You an now delete trophies with 0% achievement progress.

[Earned Date], [Not Earned], and [Grade] have been added as sorting options for trophies. You can also sort by [Earned Date] and [Not Earned] options when comparing trophies with other players.

You can now search the Internet for details about trophies from the options menu in [Trophies].

Screenshots of scenes when you earn trophies are now saved automatically. You can view saved screenshots in [Capture Gallery].

You can now share trophy details and screenshots. Select the trophy you want to share details about in [Trophy], and then press the Share button.

Share Play

You can now test the host's connection speed when starting Share Play.

You can now enjoy Share Play at 60 fps. A host in a party can adjust the setting in [Party Settings] > [Video Quality for Share Play] > [Frame Rate].

A user who is running version 2.50 or earlier on their system cannot use Share Play with someone who is running version 2.50 beta on their system. Users who are both running system software version 2.50 beta can enjoy Share Play.

Other

Users who are your Facebook friends can now be displayed in [Players You May Know].

You can now send real name requests in addition to Friend requests to users who are currently not on your Friends list.

You can now apply a shadow style for text in [Themes].

You can now enter up to 140 characters for your self-introduction.

If you enter 22 characters or more for your self-introduction, only 21 characters will be displayed on a PS4 system running system software version earlier than 2.50.

You can now use the touch pad to operate playback of videos on discs.

[Discover] has been added to introduce users to PS4 system features. You can view information about features in [Notifications] > [Discover].

Remote Play cannot be used with a PS Vita system running version 3.35. A system software update for the PS Vita (to be released later) is required.
And not a friend notification was given...everything listed is a bonus. Personally i need to see when my friends sign in already. I hate going to my friends list every time to update myself and see who's on to play with :(

Elios83

I keep seeing this. What do you guys mean? Obviously DVD and Blueray work just fine.

Ability to play your personal videos and videos downloaded from the Internet browser directly on the PS4 hard disk =)
Right now of course the PS4 has DVDs and BRs playback and it has a very basic player which works for the videos captured with the share function....too bad that you can't even skip to the scenes you want to see quickly, you have to go through the whole video at a slow speed.

I want video playback to be fixed and implemented properly much more than suspend/resume which I find to be useful and it's something they promised so they had to deliver on it, but that's it for me.

I personally don't see the point with suspend and resume because of how frequent games save nowadays, but it does make things more convenient that I don't have to load up a game every time I turn on the system.

sTaTIx

I'm surprised so many people want button customization.

Isn't it going to be confusing when games give you button prompts that don't match up at all with your configuration? Are you going to remember what they're assigned to?

I'm surprised that you're surprised.

You must not have ever played PC games, a platform that actually gives users some degree of freedom in their choice of input methods. I can't speak so much for others, but this is something I've been desperately crying for for many, many years now.

On-screen button prompts are a non-issue, since most people have something called a brain embedded within their skull, capable of remembering that one button function was replaced by another. Worst case scenario will probably be that QTE sequences requiring quick muscle memory and reactions will screw people up. But such a sacrifice is well worth the fact that we no longer have to buy a $150 SCUF controller just to be able to jump and aim at the same time in shooter games.

And not a friend notification was given...everything listed is a bonus. Personally i need to see when my friends sign in already. I hate going to my friends list every time to update myself and see who's on to play with :(

Yup, it's super disappointing not seeing that there. The only thing I would say is I want this when we can favorite our friends or I'm gonna get spammed everytime someone gets online. That's a lot of notifications if you have a couple of hundred "friends".

My question is: is it instant suspend/resume like vita, or does it take as Long as now to go into rest mode....because this feels like forever, like switching the PS4 off. If i remembered correctly, Cerny promised this feature to be "instant".

stryke

I don't play multiplayer often, but I'm not sure why I should give a toss as to why I should be notified of one my friends joining a party I'm not involved in yet knowing when my friend logs in is less of a priority.

I don't understand why they adopt 60fps on (the very much broken) share play, but don't mention allowing 60fps on twitch streams.

God dammit.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yay...Now if only I could stop my dad from switching off switches for no good reason.

holygeesus

Banned
*Still* no backwards compatibility with the PS3 remote. At least release a new one for the PS4 if you can't be arsed.

Death2494

I don't understand why they adopt 60fps on (the very much broken) share play, but don't mention allowing 60fps on twitch streams.

God dammit.

Share Play is broken? Since when. I have no problems with people (
who have the appropriate internet connection, yeah I'm looking at you wireless
) during shareplay. But you are correct about the lack of support for 60fps on streaming although some games support it. But streaming alone absorbs bandwidth so......

ss_lemonade

60fps remote play will be interesting. I can't remember if I tried 720p, but I could never stream 60fps reliably with either steam or with my nvidia shield portable when using 2.4ghz wifi. 5ghz was the only way to not have any stuttering

Top Bottom